Encore Capital Group

Relevance Date Difficulty

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Business Systems Analyst
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Encore Capital Group in May 2014.

Interview Details – About 2 weeks after submitting my application, the recruiter called. We discussed my qualifications over the phone for about 10 minutes and invited me for an in person interview. The on site interview was with 5 different people from the department. While I enjoyed talking to two of them, the majority of the interview was awkward due to pauses as they thought of what to ask next. I think that the people interviewing did not want to be there, it was a chore for them. Following the interview the recruiter told me he would be in contact with me in 2 days max since I had other offers on the table and needed a decision. The day came and no response. I called and no answer until the following week, the recruiter said he would get back to me. I emailed him 4 days later and he finally said the the team did not feel confident selecting me and they were vetting other candidates. He also said he would get back to me again in a couple of weeks. It has been about 6 weeks since I interviewed with them and no answer. A simple no would have been appreciated. Definitely the most unprofessional recruiting process I have experienced. I hope you have a better experience, stay persistent or you may be waiting on these people with no answer in site.

Interview Question – Business case given was estimating the costs and profitability of a hotel and drawing a graph showing quantity sold versus revenue. The directions were vague at best. I recommend you ask for more clarification, I sure could have used it.   Answer Question

Performance Manager Interview

Performance Manager
San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Encore Capital Group in March 2014.

Interview Details – A co-worker of mine was in contact with a corporate recruiter regarding the position and wasn't interested but gave my name as someone who might be. Spoke to the recruiter (S.C.) for about 30 minutes and was told I would be required to take a simple algebra test before being considered for the position. I scored well on the test so he setup a phone interview with the director (J.K.). After hanging up the phone he called back and explained it would be a sit-down interview instead.

The meeting with the director went well. He asked very basic, interview 101, style questions. Greatest strength and weakness? Name three things your boss would say about you? Why do you want the position? Questions that any normal professional memorize.
Two business days later the recruiter called me and asked me how the interview went and what questions I was asked. He then let me know they decide to go with another candidate but would keep me in mind for future positions.

Looking back at the interview, I don’t think the director wanted to hire me from the beginning. Maybe I didn't look the part or something because his questions didn’t allow me to speak in-depth about my current position, job roles, and skills. In fact, he asked me about my greatest achievement for a position I held 4 years ago and was not pertinent to the position I was applying for. Going forward I will take more control of the interview. Lesson learned.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult at all. I was informed that had my interview with the director went well I would have meet with someone else for a business case interview. Then I would have had a panel interview with the other members of the team.   Answer Question

Support Staff Interview

Support Staff

Interviewed at Encore Capital Group

Interview Details – Encore cancelled the interview minutes before it was supposed to start - I was already there so had to just turn around and go home. They did not say why they cancelled or offer any kind of explanation. I never heard from them again after that. Not the best interview I've ever had, to say the least.

Interview Question – The unexpected part was that there were no questions.   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Operations Manager
San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Encore Capital Group.

Interview Details – Loads of information in comparatively short Interviews, Multiple interviews through Power Days, Strong focus on analytical ability and business acumen (Business Case), Professional and thorough with back-ground checks

Interview Question – Business Case that required 'some number crunching' and 'thinking on feet'. If you are not attentive, you can miss the point. Though they let you rewind, it does leave you nervous.   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – Positive Experience

Operations Analysis Manager Interview

Operations Analysis Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Encore Capital Group.

Interview Details – The recruiter called me for setting up a phone interview. He sent me e-mail to postpone the call a few hours before the scheduled interview. Next week, the recruiter didn't call me as scheduled. I contacted him later on by call, Text, and E-Mail. He never responded to me. What a terrible experience.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Encore Capital Group in October 2009.

Interview Details – First theres a phone interview, then usually a power day where you meet with several different managers that interact with the position. They will make an offer then you start the background check, drug screening etc...

Interview Question – Its different for each poistion and can depend on the hiring managers personality   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They came in with a strong number I was happy with

Analyst Interview

Analyst
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Encore Capital Group.

Interview Details – I applied online through their website and received a call from a recruiter a few days later. Recruiter asked very standard behavioral questions about skills, expertise, even salary requirements. He referred me to one of the senior Analysts for another phone interview. Phone interview went well, again many standard questions about what attracted me to the position, what i know about the company, my skill set, etc. I was called a day later by the recruiter saying they wanted to meet with me in person and that I would be interviewed by 4 or 5 different people during a 4 hour period and given business cases to solve on the spot.

I came in to the office and spent around 45 min with each person; an analyst, a VP, a few people from HR, and a few business analysts. They gave me really difficult business cases. For example, I was given a logic test and several economic tests about cost and revenues. The employees seemed very bored, and the vibe was as if they were just going through the motions. It was exhausting and odd, but I felt like I did well, and was told I would be contacted shortly.

I was contacted about 3 days later and told I would be coming in for ANOTHER INTERVIEW with the VP. This one was pretty basic behavioral and skills interview, no business cases. Thought it went well. A few days after I am called by the recruiter and told if I wanted to come in for a FINAL INTERVIEW. Here again I met with a couple analysts and was asked the same basic questions I had answered about 3 or 4 times before and given yet another business case. Here is where I got suspicious and discouraged. Nobody seemed to be very happy at their jobs. The offices were dreary and dull, and the people un-enthusiastic and somewhat rude. The whole company gave off a very odd vibe. Despite this, I thought I did well in the interview.

Got called about a week later by the recruiter, and told that they loved me and that he would have final details by end of the day.Recruiter never contacts me. Days go by and I don't hear from the recruiter.I email him after a week of waiting, asking if there's an update. No answer. I wait another week, and email one of the hiring managers asking for some clarification, The hiring manager it seems called the recruiter, and so the recruiter sends me a standard rejection email.

Totally kept me in the dark for two weeks after telling me that I basically had the job. Incredibly disrespectful process, unprofessional recruiter and just plain dreary culture.

Interview Question – How would you deal with a difficult customer?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Manager

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Encore Capital Group.

Interview Details – Very rigorous interview process. Seemed organized at first but was passed around to several HR representatives. Had to return 3 times to interview for various positions within the company. Was not told I would be given a business case in advance.

Interview Question – Business case. I was unprepared.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Data Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Encore Capital Group.

Interview Details – a phone interview with recruiter, an onsite case study interview: two case studies and three conversations. they are professional and responsive.

Interview Question – tell me a project that you are not so proud of.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

San Diego, CA

Interview Details – A little over month when I originally applied to the position, a recruiter finally e-mails me to schedule a screen interview. The screen interview is pretty simple. You do a quick run-through of your resume and answer some behavioral questions (accomplishments, difficult tasks you had to over come, etc.) A week after the screen interview, the recruiter schedules a case interview over the phone with someone who works there. Case interviews over the phone are challenging because there's a lack of connection between you and the interviewer. Unfortunately for me, the person who gave me the case interview over the phone had a thick foreign accent. I had to constantly ask if they could repeat themselves because I could not make out what they were saying. It's not that I wasn't listening. It was because I couldn't understand which was extremely frustrating. This took me out of the element having to answer the question having them repeat themselves so many times. I suggest that they hold all case interviews in person because it's not very fair over the phone with such a disconnect with the interviewer.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Encore Capital Group

Worked for Encore Capital Group? Contribute to the Community!