Encore Capital Group Interview Questions

Updated Oct 1, 2014

3.5

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Encore Capital Group in September 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter through phone. We scheduled a business case phone interview for two days later.

The business case was about a donut shop that sold both coffee and donuts. I was given the price of coffee and donuts, the cost of coffee and donuts, and the quantity sold in both month 1 and month 2. I was asked to calculate profitability and then they gave me the profit number in month 3 I was asked to calculate quantity sold in month 3 (I used a system of equations). It was awkward doing this over phone for me being that I was calculating for long periods of time.

I was later reached out to by the same recruiter and brought in for an interview day. I had 3 interviews and met with the recruiter at the end of it all to talk about the process.

My first interview was scheduled for 1 hour with the head of the department I'd be working in, he was asking personality fit type questions, nothing technical. Near the end of the interview an analyst from the department joined us and asked me more personality type questions. He fired off a lot of questions such as, "What did you do this summer?" and "if you were going to get rid of one US State which one would it be and why?" He basically just wanted to see how I responded. Both the analyst and head of the department were friendly and it was a good experience.

My next interview was scheduled for 1 hour with a head of another department. I was given a quantitative problem with assumptions. In the problem there were 4 individuals from 3 different countries, 3 different languages, and each individual had different preferences on receiving text messages for a marketing campaign. Details are missing such as who speaks what, who is from what country and the problem is to figure out who you should send a text. It took a little over 10 mins. The rest of the interview was more about "fit".

The next interview was also scheduled for 1 hour. It was a business case interview with another individual who's title I have forgotten. The business case was similar to the coffee and donut one mentioned early. It was difficult and a calculator was needed. The recruiter says this is how most candidates also feel.

Overall, the experience was good and everyone was friendly.

Interview Questions
    • There is a donut and coffee shop. The shops has a profit of X in month 3, sells Y amount of donuts, and sells Z amounts of coffee. The price of donuts is Pd and the price of coffee is Pc. The cost of donuts is Cd and the cost of coffee is Cc. (all the X, Y, Z, Pd, Pc, Cd, Cc amounts were given to me but I forget the exact numbers)

What is the quantity of donuts and coffee sold in month 3?
        Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Encore Capital Group in August 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter in Feb of 2013. I was very interested in the position but was not asked back for a second interview because they needed someone immediately and I wasn't going to finish school until June. Upon graduation, no positions were open at Encore so I found something else. Now, one year later, I decided to contact the recruiter again to see if anything was open. Luckily, they had an open position. The recruiter set up a phone interview with me and the manager who I would be working under. The phone interview was very typical: walk me through your resume, talk about a big project you worked on that was successful, etc. She said I should come in for an in person interview where I would meet a panel of people and be given a few business cases. I don't know why other reviewers complained about the cases... they warn you in advance, the recruiter gave me practice cases to study, and they were not that bad. If you want to work in a data driven field, the people hiring you have to make sure you know how to do basic math. Walking through the cases is the only way they are going to know if you are a good fit. Anyway, I was interviewed by 5 people and the interview lasted from 8am to 11:30am. Out of the 5 people, 4 gave me cases to work through, but only 2 of those 4 cases actually "counted." The other two were more of a "walk me through..." then a pen and paper problem and were used to analyze your critical thinking skills.

The first case didn't "count" but he gave me two pricing models and I had to determine which was going to yield the most profit. I didn't have to calculate anything, we just talked about the two schemes and I came up with some other solutions that were different from the original two he gave gave. Basically, he was just looking to see how I approached the question.

The next was a logic case which I was not prepared for, but it was fun. It was a chart with a bunch of boxes and I had to fill the chart out based on clues given. This case "counted" and I had to determine who would receive a text message and who would not. It took about 8-10 minutes and I had to ask one question, but it was doable. They purposely leave part of this case ambiguous so you either have to make the assumption or ask. Again, they want to see how you go about problem solving.

The third case did not "count" but rather was a "talk through" question. You have 100 things to mail out but only have money for 75. How do you determine who to mail to and who to not mail to?

The last case "counted" and was the most difficult. It was your typical business case. You have a hotel and you have to determine the break even, FC, VC, revenues, profits, etc. How many rooms do you have to fill if you want to increase the revenue but decrease the price? What is the percentage point change in occupancy rates? Lastly, I had to fill in a graph (he provided the axises) and determine if it was constant, increasing, or decreasing rate of return. This he did not flat out ask; I had to figure out that this was the information he was looking for. This took about 45 minutes and I had to walk him through all my steps once I arrived at an answer. Bring a calculator!!

Interview Questions
    • Your resume is education heavy and work experience light. How do I know you aren't going to take this job and then just leave?   Answer Question
    Difficult. I did not get the salary I was expecting but took the job anyway because I really wanted the position and liked the team. I negotiated looking at my salary a second time in 6 months for an increase.

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Encore Capital Group in May 2014.

About 2 weeks after submitting my application, the recruiter called. We discussed my qualifications over the phone for about 10 minutes and invited me for an in person interview. The on site interview was with 5 different people from the department. While I enjoyed talking to two of them, the majority of the interview was awkward due to pauses as they thought of what to ask next. I think that the people interviewing did not want to be there, it was a chore for them. Following the interview the recruiter told me he would be in contact with me in 2 days max since I had other offers on the table and needed a decision. The day came and no response. I called and no answer until the following week, the recruiter said he would get back to me. I emailed him 4 days later and he finally said the the team did not feel confident selecting me and they were vetting other candidates. He also said he would get back to me again in a couple of weeks. It has been about 6 weeks since I interviewed with them and no answer. A simple no would have been appreciated. Definitely the most unprofessional recruiting process I have experienced. I hope you have a better experience, stay persistent or you may be waiting on these people with no answer in site.

Interview Questions
    • Business case given was estimating the costs and profitability of a hotel and drawing a graph showing quantity sold versus revenue. The directions were vague at best. I recommend you ask for more clarification, I sure could have used it.   Answer Question

Performance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Encore Capital Group in March 2014.

A co-worker of mine was in contact with a corporate recruiter regarding the position and wasn't interested but gave my name as someone who might be. Spoke to the recruiter (S.C.) for about 30 minutes and was told I would be required to take a simple algebra test before being considered for the position. I scored well on the test so he setup a phone interview with the director (J.K.). After hanging up the phone he called back and explained it would be a sit-down interview instead.

The meeting with the director went well. He asked very basic, interview 101, style questions. Greatest strength and weakness? Name three things your boss would say about you? Why do you want the position? Questions that any normal professional memorize.
    Two business days later the recruiter called me and asked me how the interview went and what questions I was asked. He then let me know they decide to go with another candidate but would keep me in mind for future positions.

Looking back at the interview, I don’t think the director wanted to hire me from the beginning. Maybe I didn't look the part or something because his questions didn’t allow me to speak in-depth about my current position, job roles, and skills. In fact, he asked me about my greatest achievement for a position I held 4 years ago and was not pertinent to the position I was applying for. Going forward I will take more control of the interview. Lesson learned.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult at all. I was informed that had my interview with the director went well I would have meet with someone else for a business case interview. Then I would have had a panel interview with the other members of the team.   Answer Question

Support Staff Interview

Encore cancelled the interview minutes before it was supposed to start - I was already there so had to just turn around and go home. They did not say why they cancelled or offer any kind of explanation. I never heard from them again after that. Not the best interview I've ever had, to say the least.

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Encore Capital Group.

Loads of information in comparatively short Interviews, Multiple interviews through Power Days, Strong focus on analytical ability and business acumen (Business Case), Professional and thorough with back-ground checks

Interview Questions
    • Business Case that required 'some number crunching' and 'thinking on feet'. If you are not attentive, you can miss the point. Though they let you rewind, it does leave you nervous.   View Answers (2)

Operations Analysis Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Encore Capital Group.

The recruiter called me for setting up a phone interview. He sent me e-mail to postpone the call a few hours before the scheduled interview. Next week, the recruiter didn't call me as scheduled. I contacted him later on by call, Text, and E-Mail. He never responded to me. What a terrible experience.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Encore Capital Group.

I applied online through their website and received a call from a recruiter a few days later. Recruiter asked very standard behavioral questions about skills, expertise, even salary requirements. He referred me to one of the senior Analysts for another phone interview. Phone interview went well, again many standard questions about what attracted me to the position, what i know about the company, my skill set, etc. I was called a day later by the recruiter saying they wanted to meet with me in person and that I would be interviewed by 4 or 5 different people during a 4 hour period and given business cases to solve on the spot.

I came in to the office and spent around 45 min with each person; an analyst, a VP, a few people from HR, and a few business analysts. They gave me really difficult business cases. For example, I was given a logic test and several economic tests about cost and revenues. The employees seemed very bored, and the vibe was as if they were just going through the motions. It was exhausting and odd, but I felt like I did well, and was told I would be contacted shortly.

I was contacted about 3 days later and told I would be coming in for ANOTHER INTERVIEW with the VP. This one was pretty basic behavioral and skills interview, no business cases. Thought it went well. A few days after I am called by the recruiter and told if I wanted to come in for a FINAL INTERVIEW. Here again I met with a couple analysts and was asked the same basic questions I had answered about 3 or 4 times before and given yet another business case. Here is where I got suspicious and discouraged. Nobody seemed to be very happy at their jobs. The offices were dreary and dull, and the people un-enthusiastic and somewhat rude. The whole company gave off a very odd vibe. Despite this, I thought I did well in the interview.

Got called about a week later by the recruiter, and told that they loved me and that he would have final details by end of the day.Recruiter never contacts me. Days go by and I don't hear from the recruiter.I email him after a week of waiting, asking if there's an update. No answer. I wait another week, and email one of the hiring managers asking for some clarification, The hiring manager it seems called the recruiter, and so the recruiter sends me a standard rejection email.

Totally kept me in the dark for two weeks after telling me that I basically had the job. Incredibly disrespectful process, unprofessional recruiter and just plain dreary culture.

Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Encore Capital Group.

Very rigorous interview process. Seemed organized at first but was passed around to several HR representatives. Had to return 3 times to interview for various positions within the company. Was not told I would be given a business case in advance.

Data Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Encore Capital Group.

a phone interview with recruiter, an onsite case study interview: two case studies and three conversations. they are professional and responsive.