Encore Capital Group Interview Questions

Updated Aug 2, 2015

3.5

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Encore Capital Group in June 2015.

Interview

Phone screens with both the recruiter and the hiring manager, then an on-site interview. The on-site interview was nearly 5 hours (including a break for provided lunch) and consisted of five 1:1 interviews, with a couple logic/business cases, and a presentation on a provided topic made to a panel. Did not receive an offer, but was given good feedback.

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Encore Capital Group (San Diego, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Received an email saying I would be getting a call from an HR representative. She described the position and told me I would take a basic algebra/logic assessment. After scoring well on it, received a phone interview from the head of Operations and was asked a simple set of questions using algebraic calculations and some business topics. Asked to come in and interview; spent four and a half hours between two offices, met with four people, two of which had slightly more complex questions similar to that given in the phone interview, one of which had a logic exercise. Overall, very long and tiring near the end.

Interview Questions

• Given two different mailing options with different cost rates and effectiveness rates, which option would be best in various scenarios? (For example, unlimited mailing list, unlimited budget, have both be unlimited, specific numbers of each, etc.   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Encore Capital Group (San Diego, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

phone interview. They scheduled my interview in Monday, but no one call me on Monday. Then they told me they don't receive my confirmation email. One thing really confuse me is that they never, never reply to your email! Whatever workers, recruiter or HR. I try to call the company, then they schedule my new interview at Thursday. No phone call again! Two weeks later, I got an phone interview, but I really confuse about the operation of this company.

Interview Questions

• Give an situation, coffee store, compute their cost, profit. Give suggestions how to improve their profit   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Encore Capital Group.

Interview

The process included four rounds of interviews. Two phone interviews at the beginning and 5 interviews in their office split into two separate rounds. In person interviews were almost equally split between case and behavior interviews. Three business case interviews were focused on profit maximization and break even point analyses. Behavior interview included such questions as "Tell us about the time you had to use your leadership skills" or "How do you deal with conflict situations in the workplace". Also was asked about my data analysis experience. Overall positive impression after the interviews (although one of the rounds took almost three hours).

Compliance Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Encore Capital Group.

Interview

There were several levels of interviews with internal and external departmental and management staff. The interview process consisted of one day with 5+ interviews taking place; each interview lasting 30-45 minutes

Negotiation

relocation and signing bonus

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Encore Capital Group (San Diego, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

phone interview did not ask anything about my resume, just a quick case study, you will need a calculator. On site interview had Lots of behavior questions and case analysis

Interview Questions

• Lots of behavior questions and case analysis   1 Answer

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Encore Capital Group (San Diego, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter through phone. We scheduled a business case phone interview for two days later. The business case was about a donut shop that sold both coffee and donuts. I was given the price of coffee and donuts, the cost of coffee and donuts, and the quantity sold in both month 1 and month 2. I was asked to calculate profitability and then they gave me the profit number in month 3 I was asked to calculate quantity sold in month 3 (I used a system of equations). It was awkward doing this over phone for me being that I was calculating for long periods of time. I was later reached out to by the same recruiter and brought in for an interview day. I had 3 interviews and met with the recruiter at the end of it all to talk about the process. My first interview was scheduled for 1 hour with the head of the department I'd be working in, he was asking personality fit type questions, nothing technical. Near the end of the interview an analyst from the department joined us and asked me more personality type questions. He fired off a lot of questions such as, "What did you do this summer?" and "if you were going to get rid of one US State which one would it be and why?" He basically just wanted to see how I responded. Both the analyst and head of the department were friendly and it was a good experience. My next interview was scheduled for 1 hour with a head of another department. I was given a quantitative problem with assumptions. In the problem there were 4 individuals from 3 different countries, 3 different languages, and each individual had different preferences on receiving text messages for a marketing campaign. Details are missing such as who speaks what, who is from what country and the problem is to figure out who you should send a text. It took a little over 10 mins. The rest of the interview was more about "fit". The next interview was also scheduled for 1 hour. It was a business case interview with another individual who's title I have forgotten. The business case was similar to the coffee and donut one mentioned early. It was difficult and a calculator was needed. The recruiter says this is how most candidates also feel. Overall, the experience was good and everyone was friendly.

Interview Questions

• There is a donut and coffee shop. The shops has a profit of X in month 3, sells Y amount of donuts, and sells Z amounts of coffee. The price of donuts is Pd and the price of coffee is Pc. The cost of donuts is Cd and the cost of coffee is Cc. (all the X, Y, Z, Pd, Pc, Cd, Cc amounts were given to me but I forget the exact numbers) What is the quantity of donuts and coffee sold in month 3?   Answer Question

Temporary Legal Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Encore Capital Group (San Diego, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

The interview was with the person who would later be my direct supervisor and the outgoing general manager for my team. We sat in a cozy conference room and they were both very friendly and genuinely excited to meet me. They took turns asking me a variety of typical interview questions as well as questions that applied specifically to the legal system. After, I was given a brief tour of the floor and was even introduced to a few long time staff members. The overall atmosphere was very relaxed. It was obvious they had experience interviewing candidates as they were welcoming and knowledgeable.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle situations where you are unsure how to proceed?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Encore Capital Group (San Diego, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter in Feb of 2013. I was very interested in the position but was not asked back for a second interview because they needed someone immediately and I wasn't going to finish school until June. Upon graduation, no positions were open at Encore so I found something else. Now, one year later, I decided to contact the recruiter again to see if anything was open. Luckily, they had an open position. The recruiter set up a phone interview with me and the manager who I would be working under. The phone interview was very typical: walk me through your resume, talk about a big project you worked on that was successful, etc. She said I should come in for an in person interview where I would meet a panel of people and be given a few business cases. I don't know why other reviewers complained about the cases... they warn you in advance, the recruiter gave me practice cases to study, and they were not that bad. If you want to work in a data driven field, the people hiring you have to make sure you know how to do basic math. Walking through the cases is the only way they are going to know if you are a good fit. Anyway, I was interviewed by 5 people and the interview lasted from 8am to 11:30am. Out of the 5 people, 4 gave me cases to work through, but only 2 of those 4 cases actually "counted." The other two were more of a "walk me through..." then a pen and paper problem and were used to analyze your critical thinking skills. The first case didn't "count" but he gave me two pricing models and I had to determine which was going to yield the most profit. I didn't have to calculate anything, we just talked about the two schemes and I came up with some other solutions that were different from the original two he gave gave. Basically, he was just looking to see how I approached the question. The next was a logic case which I was not prepared for, but it was fun. It was a chart with a bunch of boxes and I had to fill the chart out based on clues given. This case "counted" and I had to determine who would receive a text message and who would not. It took about 8-10 minutes and I had to ask one question, but it was doable. They purposely leave part of this case ambiguous so you either have to make the assumption or ask. Again, they want to see how you go about problem solving. The third case did not "count" but rather was a "talk through" question. You have 100 things to mail out but only have money for 75. How do you determine who to mail to and who to not mail to? The last case "counted" and was the most difficult. It was your typical business case. You have a hotel and you have to determine the break even, FC, VC, revenues, profits, etc. How many rooms do you have to fill if you want to increase the revenue but decrease the price? What is the percentage point change in occupancy rates? Lastly, I had to fill in a graph (he provided the axises) and determine if it was constant, increasing, or decreasing rate of return. This he did not flat out ask; I had to figure out that this was the information he was looking for. This took about 45 minutes and I had to walk him through all my steps once I arrived at an answer. Bring a calculator!!

Interview Questions

• Your resume is education heavy and work experience light. How do I know you aren't going to take this job and then just leave?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Difficult. I did not get the salary I was expecting but took the job anyway because I really wanted the position and liked the team. I negotiated looking at my salary a second time in 6 months for an increase.

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Encore Capital Group (San Diego, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

About 2 weeks after submitting my application, the recruiter called. We discussed my qualifications over the phone for about 10 minutes and invited me for an in person interview. The on site interview was with 5 different people from the department. While I enjoyed talking to two of them, the majority of the interview was awkward due to pauses as they thought of what to ask next. I think that the people interviewing did not want to be there, it was a chore for them. Following the interview the recruiter told me he would be in contact with me in 2 days max since I had other offers on the table and needed a decision. The day came and no response. I called and no answer until the following week, the recruiter said he would get back to me. I emailed him 4 days later and he finally said the the team did not feel confident selecting me and they were vetting other candidates. He also said he would get back to me again in a couple of weeks. It has been about 6 weeks since I interviewed with them and no answer. A simple no would have been appreciated. Definitely the most unprofessional recruiting process I have experienced. I hope you have a better experience, stay persistent or you may be waiting on these people with no answer in site.

Interview Questions

• Business case given was estimating the costs and profitability of a hotel and drawing a graph showing quantity sold versus revenue. The directions were vague at best. I recommend you ask for more clarification, I sure could have used it.   Answer Question