EnerNOC Interview Questions

2.9

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at EnerNOC.

Phone interview, then onsite interview with 4 people of various positions. Brought back in for a second in person to interview with the higher level group. It was very thorough, although somewhat redundant/time-consuming. I think it could have been done in one round in person, but that is just what I'm used to in IT.

Dispatch Operations Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at EnerNOC.

Multiple 2 on 1 interviews. The interviews happen in nice conference rooms with members of the team and managers of the team. In some occasions, one or more of the interviewers were on the phone dialing in. Meet with almost everyone on the team that you are applying for.

The interviews can be redundant, asking about your resume, your knowledge of demand response and process improvement. LEAN processes are huge here and lots of questions about experience on cross-functional teams.

Energy Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at EnerNOC in January 2015.

first phone call (just talking what is on resume), then personal interview(again talking what is on resume in more details, and other personal questions with two people asking them) , and testing on things you will encounter during the work. Most wore pleasant, but onew was serious like you could die if you make one mistake(That person made me a bit uncomfortable,and i was suppose to work with him).

Interview Questions
    • On personal interview i had questions like "how many balls can you fit in that room, explain how you came to that conclusion, and what numbers cud it be".

On testing, there wore 4 parts.
      1. Some basic engineering questions, like " V=R*I - explain ", how much kW/h will 60W light consume, calculate surface of few objects (basic, simple numbers, just look up formulas if you don't remember them) -10mn
      2. How fast can you find information on web, like, who are competitors, where can you buy there equipment in Boston, who is CEO, where and when did they start (simple stuff, but be fast) - 10min
      3. PP presentation about energy sector in America. (few slides) - 20min
      4. Excel table, lots for data comparison, basis if() functions.

Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at EnerNOC.

I applied to the position through online. it took about two weeks. I set up schedule with the hiring manger, but I had an first phone interview with someone who would be my boss.

Associate Project Manager Interview

I had interviewed for a position about a month earlier but didn't feel that it was the right fit for me. One of my interviewers then recommended me for this position a couple weeks later. I was contacted and set up a phone interview for a day later. The phone interview was basically a screening with questions about my background and interest in the company. We then set up an on site interview for 1 week later. It was 1.5 hours long, with 3 half-hour sessions. The questions were very straightforward:

Describe a strength/weakness
    Why are you interested in this position?
    How do you tackle tough problems?
    What is your working style?
    How does this specific skill relate to this job?

The interviewers were interested in learning about my background and figuring out if I was a good fit for the position & culture, not interrogating. Few to none technical questions. The entire time was very positive.

Interview Questions
    Able to negotiate 7% raise in base salary.

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at EnerNOC.

The company wants young and enthusiastic interns who are deeply driven to learn more about energy.

The interview process is around an and hour and a half to 2 hours. Come prepared to answer anything from a specific program within the company, to questions testing your memorization skills.

none

Senior Energy Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at EnerNOC.

Initial Communications: OK
    Phone Screen: we like you
    Panel Interview: we still like you
    Employment Sponsorship: not sure - we'll check
    Post-Interview Communications: NONE (very unprofessional)
    They could've reached out and informed at least via an email saying they cannot offer sponsorship. There was not a single communication transaction after the panel interview was complete.

Sales Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at EnerNOC in June 2014.

Received phone interview from initial recruiter that asks a number of general questions like "Why do you want to work for EnerNOC?" and "What do I know about EnerNOC?". Recruiter then setup another phone interview with the hiring manager. Hiring manager mainly asked the same questions. The initial recruiter then followed up with me and setup another 3 phone interviews and 1 in person interview. All mainly asked the same general questions as the first interview. After the 6th interview, no one followed.

Senior Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at EnerNOC in June 2014.

I was reached out by a recruiter telling me that he got my resume from a headhunter. Got no information in respect to the job he had gotten in touch for in his initial introductory email (Red Flag). I followed up and tried to schedule a call the following day but I was told that he was out of office and he can only talk to me next week. (Really are you telling me that they only have one recruiter in the entire company). I still accepted the invitation for an initial screening and it went as scheduled. He asked me basic questions about what am I looking for and how this job fits my experience. After the phone call I got an email that they were willing to schedule another round and this time it would be with the hiring manager.
    Interview with the hiring manager started with usual initial introduction and followed by a detailed discussion on my past experience. Soon the interview inclined towards the drawback that they have in the company and how they are looking for a candidate who can draw requirements, write use cases, conduct testing, plan project and CODE. I countered and asked that they are trying to squeez 3 different job functions into one job profile. Obviously as a BA you are required to have both technical and functional hats and even act as QA and PM on a project but CODING really. On one hand they want someone to set the ground running but they also do not wish to spend money on having a structural team in place. This was another red flag that I felt that the hiring manager and the HR were not in sync with what they are really looking for.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected Question: I see that you have a Bachelors and Masters in Business Administration. Are you comfortable with the tasks that this job requires you to do.   View Answer

Energy Services Intern Interview

Interview was very informal, and got the chance to talk to people working in different sections of the department. They want to make sure I get a chance to learn and contribute on a specific project.