Energy Solutions

Relevance Date Difficulty

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Oakland, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Energy Solutions in July 2009.

Interview Details – I was recruited by phone after meeting an employee at an event. I went to the office for first round of interview, with maybe 4 people. A week or so later, I went back for second round of interview and they presented me with an offer. About a week later, I accepted the offer.

Interview Question – Not unexpected, but important: why do you want to work here?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did negotiate for a very slightly higher salary, and they gave it to me. The compensation is difficult to compare to other companies. It is hourly, even though everyone above a certain level is technically "salaried." So it was difficult to translate the compensation from hours to annual salary, since the it is not a guaranteed 40 hour week.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Energy Solutions in August 2011.

Interview Details – Had a preliminary phone interview with the HR director. Then had a panel interview over Skype with two of the managers and two of the scientists. After that I had an in-person interview and show-and-tell at company's office in Houston, TX.

The interviewers were trying to assess my mathematical modeling knowledge and skills, and programming experience. I was asked questions over my background in CFD and what kind of programming development procedures and styles I have been exposed to. It seemed reading programming code is an essential skill for the job (developing of pipeline management software). The problem area seems interesting and fruitful, although of somewhat of a niche interest.

Everyone in the team seemed knowledgeable, friendly, with interesting and nice personality.

Interview Questions

• What kind of development procedures you use in your current job?   View Answer
  • What kind of method you programmed for CFD simulations.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They slightly over-matched the salary I had with my employer at the time. The offer was relatively generous and I accepted it. I got a much better offer (higher salary, total flexibility of working time and location) from a Fortune 500 company just a few days before moving to Houston.

Worked for Energy Solutions? Contribute to the Community!