English Program in Korea

Relevance Date Difficulty

EPIK Instructor Interview

EPIK Instructor
Newton, MA

I applied online - interviewed at English Program in Korea in May 2014.

Interview Details – After applying online the consulate called me to set up an interview at their Boston offices. We (two consuls plus me) talked for ~30min; the conversation was very relaxed and friendly.

Interview Question – The normal fare--the interviewer even told me at one point that she was just asking certain Qs (what are your hobbies, have you ever had Korean food, how do you feel about rural areas) to gather whether I would be culturally adaptable etc.   Answer Question

Guest English Teacher

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at English Program in Korea in October 2011.

Interview Details – Skype interview. Make sure you don't mention the fact that you want to travel. Focus on the students. You want to teach, and you love Korea. Make sure you smile a lot, and speak slowly and clearly. The interviewer will have great English, but it's still difficult to understand the natural speed of a native speaker.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation with EPIK. You'll start at the base level, and there's a raise every 1 or 2 years.

Very Easy Interview

Guest English Teacher

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at English Program in Korea.

Interview Details – I found the job, being sparked by getting laid off from my previous job and since I had experienced teaching English aboard when I was in high school, while searching around online for new employment. Everything I found about teaching English arboad, online, said South Korea was the place to go. Best living, highest pay with no teaching experience, most 'western' besides Japan, etc... So, with the consent of my wife, (who also was so fed up with her job, she wanted a change as well) we began a several week long stent in researching Korea, reading blogs from other teachers, online testimonies, and ended up finding a few friends and acquaintances that actually had been to South Korea and everything pointed to "YES." The big question now was public or private schools. Since we were going as a couple, we really decided the security of the public schools would be the best. We found EPIK as the main contact for securing a job with the public school system and emailed them.

The application process was incredibly intense. Starting with an initial questionnaire with basic questions and email correspondence. We were then sent a full application which I believe was over 10 pages, including an essay, extensive questions about our backgrounds, passport photos, and more. After spending hours and hours completing this, we waited for several weeks until their specified date to hear back. We found we passed that initial application process and they sent us a list of items we had to obtain before another set date. This included apostille affixed diploma, sealed college transcripts, FBI background check, a SECOND fully filled out application, original letters of recommendation, a copy of our passports, and we had to take a 120+ hour TESOL class online and gain the certificate for that. After completing all of that, which took several hundred dollars and countless hours, we had to pass a Skype interview from Korea... Which, we did after weeks of sleepless nights waiting to hear back. The questions we were asked were pretty generic for an interview. We then submitted all those documents by FedEx to Korea, another hundred bucks or so and then waited again. After another long period of time, we were sent a "letter of employment" stating that positions in South Korea were secured for us as well as a sample contract. We bought our plane tickets, which are somewhat reimbursed when you get your job, and then we waited to fly out. That is a much more emotional experience than I thought it was going to be...

Interview Question – There was really nothing unexpected about the interview questions. It was normal, "Have you ever smoked pot?" "No." "Do you know it gets really cold in Korea?" "Yes."   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation phase. You are given a position, you cannot choose where in Korea. Only if you want a "city" or "rural" area. Income is set, depending on your qualifications.

Guest English Teacher

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at English Program in Korea.

Interview Details – Interviewer was well prepared and focused. Did not waste time and was very upfront about job specifications. Willing to answer questions and provide detailed information. During the interview the initial application is reviewed so it is important to have a copy in front of you during the interview.

Interview Question – If this is your first teaching experience questions regarding educational philosophy might be difficult. Also asks questions about classroom management and ability to work collaboratively with other teachers.   Answer Question

Native English Teacher Interview

Native English Teacher
Sangju, Kyongsang-bukto (South Korea)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at English Program in Korea in June 2010.

Interview Details – I used ESL Planet recruiting to help me through the application process and they did great job of letting me know all the paperwork I needed to fill out, filing deadlines, etc. The interview itself was conducted by EPIK via Skype and was less nerve-wracking than the average interview in person would be. They're really looking at your personality and whether they think you would fit in well in country and whether or not you are willing to be open to their culture and learning their language, etc.

Interview Question – It's been a long while since my interview now, but I really don't remember any particularly challenging questions. I do remember it being a strange feeling to be conducting an interview in the middle of the night in my bedroom (interview is via Skype,) so I would advise anyone to treat it like a normal interview- dress up, adjust your sleep schedule to be well rested, and do a google search beforehand to see what sorts of questions they're asking at the time of your intake.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There really isn't much opportunity for negotiation; the contract is set for all teachers in country, though pay varies by experience level and sometimes location (e.g. a rural stipend, etc.)

Guest English Teacher

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at English Program in Korea in June 2011.

Interview Details – Interview is 20-40 minutes long and will likely be done over the phone.

The questions were very standard (health questions, verifying application information, 'Why Epik?') and it seemed like the interview process was meant to be a chance for the employer to make sure that the applicant is fluent in English rather than a chance to assess cultural, intellectual, or social fit.

I gathered that most applicants would pass the interview phase if they are fluent in English and indicate no criminal history.

Interview Question – What are your thoughts on classroom management.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase. This is for a contract position with a predetermined contract.

Very Easy Interview

ESL Teacher Interview

ESL Teacher
Seoul (South Korea)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at English Program in Korea in November 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was simple. Everything is explained on their website. The interviewer asked a series of questions in a structured interview manner. They were all open ended. The entire interview lasted about one hour via Skype. Because of the time difference I did my interview at two in the morning. That was the most difficult part.

Interview Question – I did not expect questions about my family or personal life, as well as my health and weight, but they were there.   Answer Question

EPIK NET Interview

EPIK NET

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 months - interviewed at English Program in Korea.

Interview Details – The best way to go about the hiring and interview process is to work through a hiring company and not go directly through EPIK. EPIK is inundated with people that want to work in South Korea. That's not a bad thing, however, if you go through an agency they'll handle a lot of the paperwork for you or at least put you on the right track with what you need and when you need to submit it. After the appropriate applications are flied you'll be asked to do a phone interview. This is a bit dodgy because you're speaking to a non-Native speaker, so it can be difficult to understand at times. Nevertheless, it shouldn't be a point of stress.

Interview Question – You will certainly be asked, why do you want to come to Korea? Why you want to work with kids or what your previous experience is? It's very straight-forward.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't a negotiation process, you get paid based on the bracket you fall into regarding experience and degree/certs.

Native English Teacher Interview

Native English Teacher

The process took 2 months - interviewed at English Program in Korea in July 2010.

Interview Details – The process to get your documents in order is long and grueling. Thankfully, applicants only need an FBI background check (which required more time but no hopping around to everywhere you've lived for more than 6 months). Make sure you certify and apostille everything. Quadruple check every document.

Interview Question – How would you discipline unruly students?   Answer Question

Guest English Teacher

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at English Program in Korea in April 2010.

Interview Details – They're quick to call and give you promises of your first choice, but if you don't have your papers quick enough you'll be waitlisted. And they may give you the documents a week or two in advance ! Don't buy a ticket because it's hard to say where orientation is, so you really have to wait.

Interview Question – Why South Korea?   Answer Question

Worked for English Program in Korea? Contribute to the Community!