English Program in Korea Interview Questions

2.1

Interviews for Top Jobs at English Program in Korea

EPIK Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newton, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at English Program in Korea (Newton, MA) in May 2014.

Interview

After applying online the consulate called me to set up an interview at their Boston offices. We (two consuls plus me) talked for ~30min; the conversation was very relaxed and friendly.

Interview Questions

• The normal fare--the interviewer even told me at one point that she was just asking certain Qs (what are your hobbies, have you ever had Korean food, how do you feel about rural areas) to gather whether I would be culturally adaptable etc.   Answer Question

Guest English Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at English Program in Korea.

Interview

I found the job, being sparked by getting laid off from my previous job and since I had experienced teaching English aboard when I was in high school, while searching around online for new employment. Everything I found about teaching English arboad, online, said South Korea was the place to go. Best living, highest pay with no teaching experience, most 'western' besides Japan, etc... So, with the consent of my wife, (who also was so fed up with her job, she wanted a change as well) we began a several week long stent in researching Korea, reading blogs from other teachers, online testimonies, and ended up finding a few friends and acquaintances that actually had been to South Korea and everything pointed to "YES." The big question now was public or private schools. Since we were going as a couple, we really decided the security of the public schools would be the best. We found EPIK as the main contact for securing a job with the public school system and emailed them. The application process was incredibly intense. Starting with an initial questionnaire with basic questions and email correspondence. We were then sent a full application which I believe was over 10 pages, including an essay, extensive questions about our backgrounds, passport photos, and more. After spending hours and hours completing this, we waited for several weeks until their specified date to hear back. We found we passed that initial application process and they sent us a list of items we had to obtain before another set date. This included apostille affixed diploma, sealed college transcripts, FBI background check, a SECOND fully filled out application, original letters of recommendation, a copy of our passports, and we had to take a 120+ hour TESOL class online and gain the certificate for that. After completing all of that, which took several hundred dollars and countless hours, we had to pass a Skype interview from Korea... Which, we did after weeks of sleepless nights waiting to hear back. The questions we were asked were pretty generic for an interview. We then submitted all those documents by FedEx to Korea, another hundred bucks or so and then waited again. After another long period of time, we were sent a "letter of employment" stating that positions in South Korea were secured for us as well as a sample contract. We bought our plane tickets, which are somewhat reimbursed when you get your job, and then we waited to fly out. That is a much more emotional experience than I thought it was going to be...

Interview Questions

• There was really nothing unexpected about the interview questions. It was normal, "Have you ever smoked pot?" "No." "Do you know it gets really cold in Korea?" "Yes."   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation phase. You are given a position, you cannot choose where in Korea. Only if you want a "city" or "rural" area. Income is set, depending on your qualifications.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sierra Vista, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at English Program in Korea (Sierra Vista, AZ) in October 2012.

Interview

The interview process was thorough yet convenient. There was a multi level background check with a skype interview. The interviewer was polite and lasted for about 30 to 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• What is your main motivation for wanting to teach with EPIK?   1 Answer

Guest English Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at English Program in Korea in October 2011.

Interview

Skype interview. Make sure you don't mention the fact that you want to travel. Focus on the students. You want to teach, and you love Korea. Make sure you smile a lot, and speak slowly and clearly. The interviewer will have great English, but it's still difficult to understand the natural speed of a native speaker.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation with EPIK. You'll start at the base level, and there's a raise every 1 or 2 years.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at English Program in Korea (Tucson, AZ) in July 2011.

Interview

They give you a Skype interview. They ask questions about your background, teaching philosophy and what you can bring to the position. It was an overall pretty easy interview. All you have to do is be confident and yourself.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at English Program in Korea.

Interview

Interviewer was well prepared and focused. Did not waste time and was very upfront about job specifications. Willing to answer questions and provide detailed information. During the interview the initial application is reviewed so it is important to have a copy in front of you during the interview.

Interview Questions

• If this is your first teaching experience questions regarding educational philosophy might be difficult. Also asks questions about classroom management and ability to work collaboratively with other teachers.   Answer Question

EPIK NET Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at English Program in Korea.

Interview

The best way to go about the hiring and interview process is to work through a hiring company and not go directly through EPIK. EPIK is inundated with people that want to work in South Korea. That's not a bad thing, however, if you go through an agency they'll handle a lot of the paperwork for you or at least put you on the right track with what you need and when you need to submit it. After the appropriate applications are flied you'll be asked to do a phone interview. This is a bit dodgy because you're speaking to a non-Native speaker, so it can be difficult to understand at times. Nevertheless, it shouldn't be a point of stress.

Interview Questions

• You will certainly be asked, why do you want to come to Korea? Why you want to work with kids or what your previous experience is? It's very straight-forward.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't a negotiation process, you get paid based on the bracket you fall into regarding experience and degree/certs.

ESL Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seoul (South Korea)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at English Program in Korea (Seoul (South Korea)) in November 2011.

Interview

The interview process was simple. Everything is explained on their website. The interviewer asked a series of questions in a structured interview manner. They were all open ended. The entire interview lasted about one hour via Skype. Because of the time difference I did my interview at two in the morning. That was the most difficult part.

Interview Questions

• I did not expect questions about my family or personal life, as well as my health and weight, but they were there.   Answer Question

Guest English Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at English Program in Korea in June 2011.

Interview

Interview is 20-40 minutes long and will likely be done over the phone. The questions were very standard (health questions, verifying application information, 'Why Epik?') and it seemed like the interview process was meant to be a chance for the employer to make sure that the applicant is fluent in English rather than a chance to assess cultural, intellectual, or social fit. I gathered that most applicants would pass the interview phase if they are fluent in English and indicate no criminal history.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase. This is for a contract position with a predetermined contract.

Native English Teacher Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at English Program in Korea in July 2010.

Interview

The process to get your documents in order is long and grueling. Thankfully, applicants only need an FBI background check (which required more time but no hopping around to everywhere you've lived for more than 6 months). Make sure you certify and apostille everything. Quadruple check every document.