EnglishTown Interview Questions

Updated Jun 21, 2015

2.6

ESL Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at EnglishTown in February 2015.

Interview

The interview is over Skype. A questionnaire was sent beforehand that you has to answer, before the interview. Questions were also sent beforehand that you will discuss in the interview.

Online English Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at EnglishTown (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

I was very interested in this position. I felt like it would complement a substitute teaching position that I have. The interview was a Skype phone call (not a video call). The interviewer reviewed the information that he gave before the interview. I told him that I did read it. He kept going on about the information assuming that a review was needed. He asked basic questions every interview goes through (background). He then wanted me to preview the online platform. I was not ready for this. I had asked whether the Skype interview was going to be a video call or a phone call. He did not answer, so to be safe I prepared for a video call. I use my smartphone for this because it has a better camera. Otherwise, I would have used my laptop. When he asked for the preview of the platform I had a hard time navigating the link he sent. I managed to pull the app for in my smartphone. I could not use my laptop as I did not have Skype on it. Then he realized that I was using a mobile device. But, it really did not matter as my smartphone allowed me to successfully preview the platform. I answered him honestly and told of why I used my smartphone. He was unimpressed. I think that's when he passed judgement on me. Here is my response to the interviewer... People use their smartphone as their home and professional camera. They use it because they know it takes good pictures. No one thinks to say we should not use the camera because we should always use a traditional camera. This would be empty formalism. Now, what was difference was there between me using my smartphone and my laptop (if you had responded to my question....)? I needed my phone for the video call and I was able to preview the platform identically to how it would have been on my laptop (the preview went perfectly until your "Are you using your iPad?!?!). I even told you I was not going to use my phone on the job as I would need a keyboard. Overall, such empty formalism does not belong in modern day America. Such empty formalism belongs in the Victorian Era England. This is all very unfortunate. I was super excited about this position. I had wished for better judgement. You let me down.

Interview Questions

• Are you flexible? (Something the interviewer emphasized a lot)   1 Answer

Online Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at EnglishTown.

Interview

Interview process was done via Skype, but voice only - no video. The Interviewer (Nathan Casey) was very gracious in rescheduling my interview when I accidentally mixed up the time zone difference and missed the first appointment. I was impressed with the quality of questions that were asked - they reflected best practices in TESOL communicative language teaching - error correction, etc. He basically walked me through the online classroom and asked me to respond to several different kinds of situations or lesson points from my perspective as a teacher, focusing on the differences between traditional classroom setting and an online class where you have no face-to-face interaction.

Interview Questions

• How would you engage students when you have only voice - no face-to-face contact?   1 Answer

The interview was very positive, but I decided not to take the job due to a very restrictive employment contract that seemed to infringe on my intellectual property rights. They also have a strict payment policy in which you can be not paid AND have to pay THEM a fine if you are ever late to a class (even by 1 minute) or late in submitting student documents, (one online reviewer also said they were docked if their students ever rated them below 4 out of 5 stars rating), etc. I understand the need for professionalism, but I'd prefer a limited number of warnings and then being fired rather then refusing to pay me after I've already done the work. Being fined in addition to withholding pay seems a little over the top.

Online English Teacher Interview

Application

Interview

I applied online through their website and was contacted 2 days later and arranged for an interview a few days after that, so in all it took around a week. The interview was done through a Skype voice call not video and the interviewer was based in China as that is where the online teaching head office is based. It was very relaxed, the questions were mainly about my background and situational experiences based questions. There was a quick fire round where you had to give one word answers off the top of your head basically to see how you would cope. I was then shown around the online classroom platform and asked to show how I would teach 3 of the slides, which I was surprised by. I was given around 5 minutes to prepare something and then talk it through. Given that I had only seen it then and there and wasn't familiar with the platform I still managed to garble through even though not to the standard had I been able to prepare beforehand and know what I was going to be teaching on the slides. I received an offer 2 days later.

Interview Questions

• How would I engage students teaching on an online platform? How long do I see myself teaching with them?   Answer Question

Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at EnglishTown (London, England (UK)).

Interview

First interview is face to face. after you have a play role on the phone, will be your typical day at work. last step is a group interview.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at EnglishTown (London, England (UK)) in April 2013.

Interview

I talked to various members of the team, getting much better insight about inner working of the team, projects. I had a chance to ask whatever I've been interested in knowing and every question got good answer.

English Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at EnglishTown in September 2011.

Interview

To get a position you have to send a cover letter and wait for a response, which seems mostly a formality as Englishtown appears to hire anyone. Then one of the admin groups, I think it was "Academic Services Operations Team" (ASOT) as I believe it's called, contacts you for a Skype interview, the emailed instructions were clear and the interview took place on time (note: there's also the Contract Teachers' Support Team (CTST) but it is hard to distinguish between the two as their jobs appear to overlap, so I do not recall which did the interviewing). In any case, when I was interviewed, the one who spoke to me was friend, supportive and positive about the company and also about my potential as a perspective teacher. The questions were general teaching aptitude-type questions, such as how would you handle a situation where a student doesn't speak in the class, how would you go about teaching a grammar point, what would you do if one student dominated the talking time etc etc. Rather than give textbook answers, I talked about my experience specifically and gave as many real-life examples as I could. She was satisfied and hired me on the spot (which means going through a 5-10 day slide presentation orientation, done online, and a follow-up interview where you're given access to the online classroom). Based on the interview, I would have been very excited about being part of the ET team. However, almost immediately the problems began to arise. I was never told to use ET's corporate email account, so I did not get my emails with the various passwords needed to log in to the training site. My 'mentor' said nothing to me the entire time. One important note here is that you have to observe 5 lessons and submit detailed observations. I was surprised that no one commented on (nor it seems read) what I wrote. Finally, my mentor, during the exit interview, actually told me - in direct contradiction to what was said in the interview - that there is no chance of earning more, moving up or bettering your career within the ET system. Online teachers will be treated the same as external applicants when applying for better paid positions within ET. Basically, I was told that teachers are not treated with respect, but on the other hand the criteria for hiring them is low at best. There is much potential for ET as a company, but under current management, it is less than ideal. Getting hired there is a matter of putting up with the long and impersonal orientation, and focusing all your energy on the initial interview. Practicing your answers to normal 'how to handle' various teaching situations, should be more then enough to land the job.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about teaching a new grammar point?   1 Answer
    • How would you handle a student who does not speak during the class / who speaks too much?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There are no opportunities to negotiate and the terms of hire are less than desirable. For instance, you must sign a non-competition clause stating that you will not work elsewhere while employed by ET. Since the hourly rate is substandard, the company cannot be serious about this. 10 USD an hour is not a living wage. Furthermore, you are an independent contractor, not working for ET directly. It is made very clear that as a teacher you expendable and not treated as an individual or, for that matter, as a human being. If you want to work from home and be a number, then this is a good solution for you.

English Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at EnglishTown in May 2011.

Interview

C.V and application was sent via their website. An interview was organized for Skype 2 weeks later. The interview lasted about 40 minutes and we spoke about my previous experience, how I would deal with particular student problem and how the classes work in general. The interview was fairly relaxed.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any particularly difficult questions. Most were based around dealing with student problems and how to elicit question via the online platform.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation as the salary is fixed

English Corrector Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at EnglishTown (Bangalore (India)) in February 2011.

Interview

It was a test and then interview. The test was basic grammar learnt in school days. Who would remember that! I went unprepared. I had no idea it would be grammar anyway. I was given another chance then and there to rectify some mistakes and re-attempt some questions i had left unattended as I was completely confused.

English Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at EnglishTown in October 2010.

Interview

There were two interviews. First with my immediate boss and then another interview with another 'boss' based in China. It's a teaching job so I emphasised how I enjoy teaching and the self satisfaction of helping other people. Can't remember the questions really..... sorry. The most important thing turned out to be the first interview with my immediate coordinator/boss. She basically said, the next interview is just a formality - "I make the real decision if I want you to work with us". So it is important to impress your immediate coordinator and just go through the motions with the next interviewer in China. I have previous real teaching experience and just self reflecting on that during the interview helped me get through.