EnglishTown

5 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Online Teacher Interview

Online Teacher

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at EnglishTown.

Interview Details – Interview process was done via Skype, but voice only - no video. The Interviewer (Nathan Casey) was very gracious in rescheduling my interview when I accidentally mixed up the time zone difference and missed the first appointment. I was impressed with the quality of questions that were asked - they reflected best practices in TESOL communicative language teaching - error correction, etc. He basically walked me through the online classroom and asked me to respond to several different kinds of situations or lesson points from my perspective as a teacher, focusing on the differences between traditional classroom setting and an online class where you have no face-to-face interaction.

Interview Question – How would you engage students when you have only voice - no face-to-face contact?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The interview was very positive, but I decided not to take the job due to a very restrictive employment contract that seemed to infringe on my intellectual property rights. They also have a strict payment policy in which you can be not paid AND have to pay THEM a fine if you are ever late to a class (even by 1 minute) or late in submitting student documents, (one online reviewer also said they were docked if their students ever rated them below 4 out of 5 stars rating), etc. I understand the need for professionalism, but I'd prefer a limited number of warnings and then being fired rather then refusing to pay me after I've already done the work. Being fined in addition to withholding pay seems a little over the top.

English Teacher

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at EnglishTown in May 2011.

Interview Details – C.V and application was sent via their website. An interview was organized for Skype 2 weeks later. The interview lasted about 40 minutes and we spoke about my previous experience, how I would deal with particular student problem and how the classes work in general. The interview was fairly relaxed.

Interview Question – There weren't any particularly difficult questions. Most were based around dealing with student problems and how to elicit question via the online platform.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation as the salary is fixed

Sales Executive Interview

Sales Executive
London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at EnglishTown.

Interview Details – First interview is face to face. after you have a play role on the phone, will be your typical day at work. last step is a group interview.

Interview Question – why do you wanna work in sales?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

English Teacher

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at EnglishTown in September 2011.

Interview Details – To get a position you have to send a cover letter and wait for a response, which seems mostly a formality as Englishtown appears to hire anyone. Then one of the admin groups, I think it was "Academic Services Operations Team" (ASOT) as I believe it's called, contacts you for a Skype interview, the emailed instructions were clear and the interview took place on time (note: there's also the Contract Teachers' Support Team (CTST) but it is hard to distinguish between the two as their jobs appear to overlap, so I do not recall which did the interviewing). In any case, when I was interviewed, the one who spoke to me was friend, supportive and positive about the company and also about my potential as a perspective teacher.

The questions were general teaching aptitude-type questions, such as how would you handle a situation where a student doesn't speak in the class, how would you go about teaching a grammar point, what would you do if one student dominated the talking time etc etc.

Rather than give textbook answers, I talked about my experience specifically and gave as many real-life examples as I could. She was satisfied and hired me on the spot (which means going through a 5-10 day slide presentation orientation, done online, and a follow-up interview where you're given access to the online classroom).

Based on the interview, I would have been very excited about being part of the ET team. However, almost immediately the problems began to arise. I was never told to use ET's corporate email account, so I did not get my emails with the various passwords needed to log in to the training site. My 'mentor' said nothing to me the entire time. One important note here is that you have to observe 5 lessons and submit detailed observations. I was surprised that no one commented on (nor it seems read) what I wrote. Finally, my mentor, during the exit interview, actually told me - in direct contradiction to what was said in the interview - that there is no chance of earning more, moving up or bettering your career within the ET system. Online teachers will be treated the same as external applicants when applying for better paid positions within ET. Basically, I was told that teachers are not treated with respect, but on the other hand the criteria for hiring them is low at best.

There is much potential for ET as a company, but under current management, it is less than ideal. Getting hired there is a matter of putting up with the long and impersonal orientation, and focusing all your energy on the initial interview. Practicing your answers to normal 'how to handle' various teaching situations, should be more then enough to land the job.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about teaching a new grammar point?   View Answer
  • How would you handle a student who does not speak during the class / who speaks too much?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There are no opportunities to negotiate and the terms of hire are less than desirable. For instance, you must sign a non-competition clause stating that you will not work elsewhere while employed by ET. Since the hourly rate is substandard, the company cannot be serious about this. 10 USD an hour is not a living wage. Furthermore, you are an independent contractor, not working for ET directly. It is made very clear that as a teacher you expendable and not treated as an individual or, for that matter, as a human being. If you want to work from home and be a number, then this is a good solution for you.

English Teacher

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at EnglishTown in October 2010.

Interview Details – There were two interviews.
First with my immediate boss and then another interview with another 'boss' based in China.

It's a teaching job so I emphasised how I enjoy teaching and the self satisfaction of helping other people.
Can't remember the questions really..... sorry.

The most important thing turned out to be the first interview with my immediate coordinator/boss. She basically said, the next interview is just a formality - "I make the real decision if I want you to work with us". So it is important to impress your immediate coordinator and just go through the motions with the next interviewer in China.

I have previous real teaching experience and just self reflecting on that during the interview helped me get through.

Interview Question – What are your feelings on teaching students?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for EnglishTown? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EnglishTown interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by EnglishTown employees and interview candidates.