Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Average Difficulty
804 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Management Trainee

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Enterprise Rent-A-Car in May 2014.

Interview Details – Phone Interview --

I applied online. I received a phone call and had a short phone interview. This interview was done by recruiter's assistant, and she asked questions about my work history as well as explained hours/pay info. I was then set up for an interview with the Talent Acquisition Manager.

Interview #1 --

The interview with the Talent Acquisition Manager included some behavioral based interview (BBI) questions and general conversation about myself and opportunities at the company. She seemed to look for someone with a positive attitude and a friendly demeanor; I feel I delivered it with authenticity. We spoke about previous jobs, college, hobbies and interests, and she asked a lot of questions to get a good grasp on who I am. It took about 1 hour, and I was told at the end of interview I would be moving on to the next interview with the Area Manager and Branch Manager. She emailed me a link to complete my background check while I continued on in the interview process. Followed up with 'Thank You' email

Interview #2 --

This interview took place in a branch with an Area Manager and Branch Manager. It involved shadowing employees and more BBI questions from both interviewers. They also explained more about the company, and they were very clear about the long hours/hard work involved. This is the step that was most difficult for me. The Area Manager asked some hard questions about my work experiences, and she appeared to be looking to weed out weak candidates. Total process took about 2-3 hours. I shook her hand, and thanked her for her time. Followed up with 'Thank You' emails.

Interview #3 --

I received a phone call 3-4 days later, and I was set up to speak with the Regional VP. That interview took about 1 hour, and I simply had a conversation about who I am as a person ... No difficult questions or BBI questions whatsoever. I felt rather comfortable, and I expressed my joy in working with customers. It was apparent Regional VP was looking for personality more than anything. I was job offered right on the spot at the end of interview, and I immediately accepted.

They look for genuine and outgoing people who are not afraid to talk/connect with others. Be yourself!! Also, be prepared for BBI questions and have several examples ready in your mind. Smile, and look for ways to connect with employees and managers.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you made a mistake. What did you do? How did you handle the situation, and would you do anything differently?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Rate of pay was non-negotiable, and everyone in the company starts at the bottom. I simply accepted the offer in person.

Wilton, CT

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Enterprise Rent-A-Car in July 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted via phone and asked about moving violations, what I considered good customer service, etc.

Then I did an in-person interview. Things went south very quickly. The interviewer constantly tried to "fact check" my examples, and claimed I was lying in at least 2 situations. He also was very confrontational throughout the interview, telling me that my examples weren't good enough and that other candidates were much better than I was. I am a graduate of a highly ranked university with countless internships, jobs, and high grades. He continued to nitpick and try to make me feel that my experiences were not valid in any way, and then decided to tell me that he didn't think I would do a good job. He asked me if I felt I was persuasive. When I said yes, he laughed in my face. Then he yawned and started texting on his iPhone. I wish I were making this up, but I truly had the worst interview experience I have ever had in my life.

At the end, it was time for me to ask questions. I asked him about the negative online reviews, how even got to his position, and why he thought pitting 5 trainees against one another for one management spot was conducive to a productive environment. By the end of this, he was very uncomfortable.

He then proceeded to ask me about the other jobs I was applying to. I listed several of the high-profile organizations I had applied to and have interviews scheduled with. He seemed to get even more uncomfortable and again tried to "catch" me lying. Then he showed me the door.

I applied to this program because I wasn't afraid of hard work and I knew I could do it, despite all the negative reviews I had read on here. The sheer rudeness and contempt I was met with from the minute I walked in the door was so shocking that I don't think I could ever work for this company. I'm a quality, highly educated, and experienced candidate who has done successfully in many other job interviews. I was well dressed, groomed, and very well prepared. There was nothing that warranted this kind of treatment and I am disgusted that I was called in simply to be his personal punching bag for an hour.

Interview Questions

• I interview 100 people in a month. Guess how many I choose?   View Answer
  • There are people who come in here with multiple leadership experiences, clubs, sports etc. ... and then there's you. With nothing. Why should I even pick you?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Being treated how I was in the interview was inexcusable. I understand paying your dues and earning the respect of others, but I was treated so poorly that I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like working there.

Management Trainee

I applied online and interviewed at Enterprise Rent-A-Car.

Interview Details – 4 separate interviews. Each one hirer up in company in your area. Get to shadow an office which is nice to see if the job will actually be a good fit for you.

Interview Question – A lot of questions about sales, very sales oriented. Also where do you see yourself in 5 years type questions because they look to promote within more.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – salary, and seemed hardcore sales which I can do I just did not want to be in that position for 2 years at that salary. I was already 1 year out of college doing something similar with same pay in a more relaxed atmosphere, eventually got promoted at that company.

Wilkes-Barre, PA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Enterprise Rent-A-Car in March 2014.

Interview Details – A phone screening interview, followed by three interviews. First with HR, second with a district manager, then the third with the area manager at a corporate location. The phone interview just asked basic questions to make sure that you know what you applied for and are somewhat qualified. Then you meet with that same HR rep in person and they go into detail about your resume and what to expect. After that they set up a meeting with the district manager where you shadow workers from a branch then have a brief interview to talk about what you learned and ask a few more customer-oriented questions. The final interview with corporate is where I made it to. I was asked a lot of questions relating to going above and beyond for customers and times I dealt with difficult customers. In the end, I was not offered the position.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you went above and beyond for a customer.   View Answer

Cupertino, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Enterprise Rent-A-Car.

Interview Details – Interview process consisted of initial phone interview followed by three in-person interviews.

The phone interview was very much a standard. Who are you? How did you find out about Enterprise? What's your history? etc...

The first in-person interview was with the same person. It a little over an hour long. Questions were along the lines of using examples in the past to show how you solved problems, etc..

The second interview was with the Area Manager and one of the branch managers. This person wanted to see personality.

The third interview was with the Regional Vice-President. This person really wanted to make sure I was a good fit, questioning anything that might not line up, or just going into further detal.

It took about 10 days to get a response after that.

Interview Question – What am I most proud of?   Answer Question

Management Trainee

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Enterprise Rent-A-Car in December 2010.

Interview Details – First step is a phone interview just to make sure you are well spoken and upbeat. The recruiter will ask you about yourself and your resume and explain a little bit about the training program they offer. If they like you they will invite you for a face-to-face interview with the same recruiter at one of the regional offices. He/she will ask you some behavioral questions and run you through the average day-to-day tasks that an MT will be responsible for. Have strong examples of previous times you have sold something, provided great service, lead a team, and sacrificed something in your personal life to achieve a goal. Also, do some research about the company before your interview and come prepared with questions. If you get through that, the next interview is very similar but more in depth with the behavioral questions. You will do that interview at an actual office with an area manager. They will usually have you do 15 minutes of branch observation so you can see how it looks/feels inside the actual branch. The final stage if you get through that is to meet with the Regional VP or the Regional Rental Manager. Usually the area manager has already made up his/her mind about whether they want to hire you or not, but the RVP/RRM will ultimately make the final decision. Overall, the interviews are very similar. Have good examples and look sharp. Guys, be 100% clean shaven.

Interview Question – Name a time you had to persuade someone to do something. Name a time you went above and beyond for a job/club/class. Give me an example of a time you had to sacrifice something in your personal life in order to get a job done. Are you okay with working Sat/Sun?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation at all.

Management Trainee

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Enterprise Rent-A-Car in March 2014.

Interview Details – Very unprofessional. I thought I'd be doing real-time work, but it ended up being sales calls and playing receptionist. They walked me around the facility and I wasn't impressed. It seemed that the other interns that were working there were very stressed and that it was going to be very different from what I expected. In addition, I would be calling, driving cars out to clients (something I didn't think fit the description), and a variety of other random tasks. This wasn't for me and they weren't going to pay enough either.

Interview Question – They just asked about my background, nothing too difficult. Strengths, weaknesses, and everything along those lines.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I declined this offer because it wasn't going to give me the real experience I wanted. I'll be a senior this fall and wanted something that I could see myself doing and working after college.

Interviewed at Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Interview Details – Have only had the phone interview. It was very rushed. I didn't feel like I had time to answer my questions thoroughly or think about what I wanted to say. Questions were basic...where do you see yourself in 15-20 years, tell me about your school and work history...things like that. He asked me a question and I had a question with my answer...he told me I would have time at the end to ask questions, but he did not allow me to do so. I don't know if I got a face to face interview yet or not.

Interview Question – Has there ever been a time where your performance was monitored?   Answer Question

Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Enterprise Rent-A-Car in April 2014.

Interview Details – 3 interviews
-talent acquisition
-area manager
-regional VP

All of the interviews were very structured and asked the same questions. The last two interviews are more meet and greet with observations. Once you get throughout the first interview the last two are more of a confirmation of the first interview rather than anything different. Job Observations are great and give an opportunity to see what daily life will be like throughout the trainee program. Ask lots of questions and be involved. They want outgoing and engaging employees.

Interview Question – Give me an example when you had to tell your boss he was wrong.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Low Salary to start

Management Trainee

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Enterprise Rent-A-Car in July 2014.

Interview Details – They go through a very thorough interview process, from what I gathered they seems to try to interview everyone and to weed out through each stage until they get their best or final candidate. Yet still they have hiring issues like at any organization. The Management Trainee program used to hire students straight out of college, put them through long hours, even washing cars in your suit and tie in promise of a store management position 3 years down the road. In my honest opinion, I think this is great experience for the post-grad. However as they had difficulty staffing that type of individual they wanted, they started to interview workforce professionals looking for a career change as well.

You first apply online and if qualified, receive a call for a short 10 minute phone interview, pretty straight-forward questions. I assume if you can answer them without hesitation you get to the next step.

The next step is an in-person interview with a talent acquisition specialist. I interviewed with one who was very knowledgeable and went through the Management Trainee program herself and got promoted in a short amount of time. I actually enjoyed speaking with her and I could tell she was a very motivated, talented individual. However I could tell her workload was demanding as when I got there she was interviewing one candidate. Then next the next and then me, all within an hour, one after another.

I felt I did well and was invited to the third round of interviews, which was an in-person shadow interview where the branch manager and district manager both interview you as you get to see what they do hands-on. I declined because I was working full-time then and to get 2 days off in 2 weeks wasn't easy for me, in addition I had 3 other interviews on hand already. Furthermore I had to assess, that I would be working 50hr/weeks for the same wage as compared to my current job which I didn't enjoy as much but was making the same wage only working 40hr/weeks. But it came down to really doing my homework and I think everyone should while job hunting these days.

If you truly are a qualified candidate, much like this interview process, you should be looking to weed out potential employers. See I went in the store before the 3rd round of interviews and "mystery shopped" them if you want to call it. Where I asked a couple Management Trainees what they thought. I met a young charismatic gentleman who seemed to fit the mode, right out of college, earning his keeps and very upbeat. I could tell he'd move up fast up the ladder. The other was a professional in his early 40s perhaps who told me "this is my last day at work." I congratulated him. And I met another young lady, who seemed indifferent. So you get a bit of everything. I'd have to rate my experience positive as they did take the time. The disconnect really was the long hours and low wage, which is fine, I'm happy to earn my keeps but as a young professional with some experience already, I knew I could make more elsewhere.

Interview Question – Are you competitive? Give me a scenario.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Long Hours/Low Pay

Worked for Enterprise Rent-A-Car? Contribute to the Community!