Environment America Interview Questions

Updated Mar 17, 2015
Updated Mar 17, 2015

2.9

Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Environment America.

Interview

I applied online via the portal. I heard back very quickly from the recruiter, sending me a link to set up a phone interview. The link informed me there were no interview times available. I called to set up my phone interview, for a week later. This interview was fine, lasted about 30 minutes. The interviewer set up a second round interview, via skype, for a week later. The time came and my interviewer did not contact me. I reached out to numerous people, finally reaching my interviewer and found he was not in the office. So we rescheduled for a couple weeks later and that interview went fine. Now waiting to hear from them about their final decision, it's been about a week now.

Interview Questions

• 1st interview - General interview questions.
      2nd interview - Asked questions about campaign organization and threw numerous hypothetical situations and devils advocate scenarios in to test reactions. Stressful.

Answer Question

Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Environment America (Boston, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Scheduled phone interview almost immediately, which lasted about 45 minutes. The phone interview was pretty basic, and afterwards the interviewer scheduled me for a group interview. The group interview lasted 5 hours and required a lot of brain power. As difficult as it was, I am glad I participated because it has made most other interviews since then less daunting. I wasn't offered the fellowship position, but they referred me to a partner organization, which did offer me a job.

Interview Questions

• Senator _____ probably won't support the Clean Water Act. How do you convince him/her otherwise?   Answer Question

Environment America Fellowship Program Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Environment America.

Interview

After being contacted to interview for the position, I was directed to a web page where I would choose a date and time for my interview. However, the page said there were no interview dates available at the time. After emails and calls back and forth for the next week, I had an interview arranged for 3 weeks later. Come the date of the interview, specifically 30 minutes after I was supposed to be contacted, there was still no call. After calling directly to my interviewer multiple times with no answer, I left a voice-mail and emails to my interviewer and HR department asking if I needed to reschedule, etc etc, but never received a response back.

Senior Professional Staff Position Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Environment America.

Interview

I received a automated email inviting me to interview for a position for which I had applied only a few days before. This invitation sent me to a web page where I could pick a time and date to do a phone interview. I selected a time they offered. When it came around, I did not receive a call. Calling the contact number given to me, it became clear that the interviewer was on vacation. I left a polite voice message on the mainline of the Public Interest Network office in Colorado. This network handles hiring for a number of PIRG-related organizations. They called me back and reschedule the interview for a week after that. During that interview, the interviewer/recruiter spend much of the first 15-20 minutes discussing her background with the organization which did not strike me as tremendously relevant. At the end of the interview she scheduled a second interview with the hiring manager who I would work for in the Environment America office. That interview took place by phone a few weeks later. I was told that if I received the job I would get paid less than I had in my previous position and would need to commit to them for 2 years. A week after my second interview, I received an impersonal, form email telling me I was not going to get the position. I am comfortable with rejection even after a few interviews; however, I have never been treated so impersonally at that point in a process. I found it exceedingly unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• How do I embody environmentalism in my day-to-day life?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Environment America in September 2014.

Interview

Quick response after resume submission. Immediately interview was set up. We had a 30 minute phone interview. Not tough, just basic questions trying to assess my character and what I wanted to get out of the internship. Friendly and conversational.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you showcased leadership skills and accomplished something your are proud of in the last few years?   1 Answer

Negotiation

A few follow up emails and worked together to decide on hours and start and end date. Given the position without a hitch.

Environment America Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Environment America.

Interview

I sent in my application through their website and was contacted a few days later for a phone interview. My phone interviewer was late to call me, and after this interview I was invited to do a group interview, although I couldn't attend. Instead I had a one on one interview in the DC office. After they interview they said they would get back to me in two weeks. No one contacted me after a month, and it does not seem like they will let me know either way.

Interview Questions

• Asked me to build a campaign for clean water in a community, threw roadblocks in the process, and were very critical of my solutions.   Answer Question

Fellow Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Environment America (Denver, CO).

Interview

I made it to a second round interview after an initial screening on campus. The questions ranged from details of my undergrad education to how I would handle hypothetical situations as an Environment America Fellow.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to explain how I would go about fighting the proposed construction of a natural gas facility in a conservative city   Answer Question

Environment America Fellowship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Environment America (Washington, DC).

Interview

There was an online application. After I submitted the online application, about a month later there was a phone interview that lasted for about an hour. Then there was a group interview in DC about 20 applicants were there. There were several parts to the interview (group discussion/planning, public speaking, petition gathering, two one-on-one interviews and a questionnaire).

Interview Questions

• I can't remember. All the questions seemed pretty normal (long-term goals, why are you applying, etc).   Answer Question

Fellow Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Environment America in March 2014.

Interview

The process was fairly straightforward--two interviews, no additional questions or writing samples required. During the beginning of the process there was decent communicaiton, however, after the second interview it was near impossible to contact anyone. I ended up withdrawing my application a week after the second interview because I had accepted another position, but heard nothing until weeks later I got a message saying that I was not being offered the position at this time.

Interview Questions

• Questions during first interview all standard questions. The second interview was more conversational. Be prepared to discuss "how you would handle a campaign" case study style question.   Answer Question

Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Environment America (Philadelphia, PA) in October 2013.

Interview

Initial application, phone Interview, interview with other candidates in Philadelphia, also spoke to office of potential placement via Skype. During Philly interview- was asked to petition people outside, had to do a public speaking exercise, there was also a panel of previous fellows as well as group and individual interviews.

Interview Questions

• Questions about ethics of shutting down a coal plant in a small town that will result in many people losing their jobs.   Answer Question