Environment America

Updated Sep 2, 2014
Updated Sep 2, 2014

2.9

Senior Professional Staff Position Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Environment America.

I received a automated email inviting me to interview for a position for which I had applied only a few days before. This invitation sent me to a web page where I could pick a time and date to do a phone interview. I selected a time they offered. When it came around, I did not receive a call. Calling the contact number given to me, it became clear that the interviewer was on vacation. I left a polite voice message on the mainline of the Public Interest Network office in Colorado. This network handles hiring for a number of PIRG-related organizations. They called me back and reschedule the interview for a week after that. During that interview, the interviewer/recruiter spend much of the first 15-20 minutes discussing her background with the organization which did not strike me as tremendously relevant. At the end of the interview she scheduled a second interview with the hiring manager who I would work for in the Environment America office. That interview took place by phone a few weeks later. I was told that if I received the job I would get paid less than I had in my previous position and would need to commit to them for 2 years. A week after my second interview, I received an impersonal, form email telling me I was not going to get the position. I am comfortable with rejection even after a few interviews; however, I have never been treated so impersonally at that point in a process. I found it exceedingly unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • How do I embody environmentalism in my day-to-day life?   Answer Question

Fellow Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Environment America in March 2014.

The process was fairly straightforward--two interviews, no additional questions or writing samples required. During the beginning of the process there was decent communicaiton, however, after the second interview it was near impossible to contact anyone. I ended up withdrawing my application a week after the second interview because I had accepted another position, but heard nothing until weeks later I got a message saying that I was not being offered the position at this time.

Interview Questions
    • Questions during first interview all standard questions. The second interview was more conversational. Be prepared to discuss "how you would handle a campaign" case study style question.   Answer Question

Environment America Fellow Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Environment America.

I sent in my application through their website and was contacted a few days later for a phone interview. My phone interviewer was late to call me, and after this interview I was invited to do a group interview, although I couldn't attend. Instead I had a one on one interview in the DC office. After they interview they said they would get back to me in two weeks. No one contacted me after a month, and it does not seem like they will let me know either way.

Interview Questions
    • Asked me to build a campaign for clean water in a community, threw roadblocks in the process, and were very critical of my solutions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Environment America.

I made it to a second round interview after an initial screening on campus. The questions ranged from details of my undergrad education to how I would handle hypothetical situations as an Environment America Fellow.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to explain how I would go about fighting the proposed construction of a natural gas facility in a conservative city   Answer Question

Environment America Fellowship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Environment America.

There was an online application. After I submitted the online application, about a month later there was a phone interview that lasted for about an hour. Then there was a group interview in DC about 20 applicants were there. There were several parts to the interview (group discussion/planning, public speaking, petition gathering, two one-on-one interviews and a questionnaire).

Interview Questions
    • I can't remember. All the questions seemed pretty normal (long-term goals, why are you applying, etc).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Environment America in October 2013.

Initial application, phone Interview, interview with other candidates in Philadelphia, also spoke to office of potential placement via Skype. During Philly interview- was asked to petition people outside, had to do a public speaking exercise, there was also a panel of previous fellows as well as group and individual interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Questions about ethics of shutting down a coal plant in a small town that will result in many people losing their jobs.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Environment America in August 2013.

Applied online and received an email about a week later asking for a short phone interview. All the initial phone screenings are done through a central office so the questions are really basic. They just go over your background and your interest. I was offered a 2nd interview in the DC office a couple weeks later. Had that 2nd interview with the head of the office again asking standard interview questions. They said they wanted to move fast because their August training was coming up, said I would hear back in a couple days. Two days later I received a call from another person with some follow up questions. She said I would hear back within the next day or two. Never heard back.

Interview Questions
    • How would you get someone involved in a new environmental campaign?   Answer Question

Fellow Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Environment America.

I applied online and heard nothing back for about a week. Subsequently I was sent an email by the Recruitment Director and an interview was scheduled with the director of the DC office. My interview was on skype, and a shorter followup interview was conducted via phone later that day. I was then scheduled for another phone interview with the NE Regional Director. Finally, I was asked for a writing sample. I was told that I would hear back in a couple of days. The process was a little rushed, as training was approaching quickly and they needed to fill the positions. Overall it was an efficient process and it seemed like Environment America was seriously considering my application

Fellow Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Environment America.

Emailed me for an interview a week after applying . The interview lasted approximately 45 minutes and at the end they told me that they would give me a response within two weeks, but I never heard from them. The interviewer felt that the interviewer was looking to find someone who was extremely passionate about the environment.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Environment America in February 2013.

Had a wonderful first interview and got offered a second interview almost immediately. I was given two weeks notice for a second interview to be had over Skype. Two hours before the interview was scheduled to occur I received an email stating that it was cancelled.

Interview Questions

Worked for Environment America? Contribute to the Community!