Environment America Interview Questions

Updated Aug 18, 2015

2.9

Clean Cars Advocate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Environment America in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted in a matter of days to do a writing sample. I submitted the writing sample and a few days later I was scheduled for a phone interview. The phone interview was with the director of another state who had no ties to the position. The interview was very typical for an enviro organization: why the environment, why us, where do you see yourself in five years? I made it to a second interview with the director of the Washington, DC office. This interview was a little harder as she asked how I would respond to certain hypothetical situations. At the close of the interview we discussed that I should come up to the DC office to meet people, to which I agreed. After the interview, I was asked to do a timed writing sample in which she sent me a news article and gave me 30 minutes to send back a fake letter to the editor based on the article. A day later, I followed up by email asking when would be a good date to come to the DC office to meet the staff. I got no reply. A week went by and I emailed the director to see if there was any additional info I could provide her or when I should come to DC. Again, I got no reply. A week after that I sent a short email asking if I was still being considered for the position. Again, no reply. Pretty unprofessional and rude if you ask me. I get that some people don't like having to let you down and tell you that you didn't get the job, but how hard is it to send an email? You literally never have to talk to me. Just send an email. Or have an office assistant do it. But to give no reply after so many interview steps is ridiculous.

Interview Questions

• Paraphrasing - Assuming your organization only has a small budget, if you wanted to advocate for a certain issue or against a certain government decision, what would you do?   Answer Question

Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Environment America.

Interview

I applied online via the portal. I heard back very quickly from the recruiter, sending me a link to set up a phone interview. The link informed me there were no interview times available. I called to set up my phone interview, for a week later. This interview was fine, lasted about 30 minutes. The interviewer set up a second round interview, via skype, for a week later. The time came and my interviewer did not contact me. I reached out to numerous people, finally reaching my interviewer and found he was not in the office. So we rescheduled for a couple weeks later and that interview went fine. Now waiting to hear from them about their final decision, it's been about a week now.

Interview Questions

• 1st interview - General interview questions. 2nd interview - Asked questions about campaign organization and threw numerous hypothetical situations and devils advocate scenarios in to test reactions. Stressful.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Environment America (Boston, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Scheduled phone interview almost immediately, which lasted about 45 minutes. The phone interview was pretty basic, and afterwards the interviewer scheduled me for a group interview. The group interview lasted 5 hours and required a lot of brain power. As difficult as it was, I am glad I participated because it has made most other interviews since then less daunting. I wasn't offered the fellowship position, but they referred me to a partner organization, which did offer me a job.

Interview Questions

• Senator _____ probably won't support the Clean Water Act. How do you convince him/her otherwise?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Environment America.

Interview

After being contacted to interview for the position, I was directed to a web page where I would choose a date and time for my interview. However, the page said there were no interview dates available at the time. After emails and calls back and forth for the next week, I had an interview arranged for 3 weeks later. Come the date of the interview, specifically 30 minutes after I was supposed to be contacted, there was still no call. After calling directly to my interviewer multiple times with no answer, I left a voice-mail and emails to my interviewer and HR department asking if I needed to reschedule, etc etc, but never received a response back.

Senior Professional Staff Position Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Environment America.

Interview

I received a automated email inviting me to interview for a position for which I had applied only a few days before. This invitation sent me to a web page where I could pick a time and date to do a phone interview. I selected a time they offered. When it came around, I did not receive a call. Calling the contact number given to me, it became clear that the interviewer was on vacation. I left a polite voice message on the mainline of the Public Interest Network office in Colorado. This network handles hiring for a number of PIRG-related organizations. They called me back and reschedule the interview for a week after that. During that interview, the interviewer/recruiter spend much of the first 15-20 minutes discussing her background with the organization which did not strike me as tremendously relevant. At the end of the interview she scheduled a second interview with the hiring manager who I would work for in the Environment America office. That interview took place by phone a few weeks later. I was told that if I received the job I would get paid less than I had in my previous position and would need to commit to them for 2 years. A week after my second interview, I received an impersonal, form email telling me I was not going to get the position. I am comfortable with rejection even after a few interviews; however, I have never been treated so impersonally at that point in a process. I found it exceedingly unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• How do I embody environmentalism in my day-to-day life?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Environment America in September 2014.

Interview

Quick response after resume submission. Immediately interview was set up. We had a 30 minute phone interview. Not tough, just basic questions trying to assess my character and what I wanted to get out of the internship. Friendly and conversational.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you showcased leadership skills and accomplished something your are proud of in the last few years?   1 Answer

Negotiation

A few follow up emails and worked together to decide on hours and start and end date. Given the position without a hitch.

Environment America Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Environment America.

Interview

I sent in my application through their website and was contacted a few days later for a phone interview. My phone interviewer was late to call me, and after this interview I was invited to do a group interview, although I couldn't attend. Instead I had a one on one interview in the DC office. After they interview they said they would get back to me in two weeks. No one contacted me after a month, and it does not seem like they will let me know either way.

Interview Questions

• Asked me to build a campaign for clean water in a community, threw roadblocks in the process, and were very critical of my solutions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Environment America (Denver, CO).

Interview

I made it to a second round interview after an initial screening on campus. The questions ranged from details of my undergrad education to how I would handle hypothetical situations as an Environment America Fellow.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to explain how I would go about fighting the proposed construction of a natural gas facility in a conservative city   Answer Question

Environment America Fellowship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Environment America (Washington, DC).

Interview

There was an online application. After I submitted the online application, about a month later there was a phone interview that lasted for about an hour. Then there was a group interview in DC about 20 applicants were there. There were several parts to the interview (group discussion/planning, public speaking, petition gathering, two one-on-one interviews and a questionnaire).

Interview Questions

• I can't remember. All the questions seemed pretty normal (long-term goals, why are you applying, etc).   Answer Question

Fellow Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Environment America in March 2014.

Interview

The process was fairly straightforward--two interviews, no additional questions or writing samples required. During the beginning of the process there was decent communicaiton, however, after the second interview it was near impossible to contact anyone. I ended up withdrawing my application a week after the second interview because I had accepted another position, but heard nothing until weeks later I got a message saying that I was not being offered the position at this time.

Interview Questions

• Questions during first interview all standard questions. The second interview was more conversational. Be prepared to discuss "how you would handle a campaign" case study style question.   Answer Question