Environmental Defense Interview Questions

Updated Feb 18, 2015
Updated Feb 18, 2015

3.1

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Environmental Defense.

I applied online and heard back after 4+ weeks. I had three interviews, one over skype and two over the phone. The first interview, over skype, was with a direct supervisor, the two subsequent were with people who were progressively higher up in the organization. The interview process took about 2 weeks, but it seemed like it would usually take less time, we just had a lot of scheduling problems.

Research Intern (Summer) Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Environmental Defense.

Contacted by email after 3-4 weeks of applying. Very courteous employee called for a phone interview. It only lasted 20 minutes. Never made it to the 2nd interview, the position was very competitive.

EDF Climate Corps Fellowship Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Environmental Defense.

Round 1: Skype interview

Interview Questions
    • How would you explain ROI, NPV, & IRR to a facility staff person who has no finance knowledge?   Answer Question
    • Suppose you were at a cocktail reception where people from your host organization were present. An employee of your host organization asks, "So you think this whole global warming thing is a joke, right?"   Answer Question
    • How would you go about determining the number of lit exit signs in Manhattan?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Kingston, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Kingston, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Environmental Defense.

Four month process including an initial application, one technical interview, and one "cultural" interview. They use another company to conduct all the interview since there are so many applicants. It was very challenging but the interviewer was very nice and made it feel a little more casual. It was done over skype, which can get frustrating if the audio or video is off.

Interview Questions
    • They sent out a graph right before the technical interview and asked to various questions about it, such as, which point on the graph represents a building that needs energy efficiency improvements.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Environmental Defense in March 2014.

EDF CC was a very thorough and detailed process. They source out their climate corps recruiting to an independent firm, who is very versed on the traits EDF is looking for, but can't always answer questions you might have about the experience and company. I believe the firm they use has been working with EDF for a while, so they are familiar with most questions that come up.

My first interview was a phone/fit interview. We conducted it over Skype video call so it felt more casual then a phone conversation. We talked about EDF and the interviewer seemed really interested in my fit with the program than with my previous skills and experience in sustainability. I was sent a chart a few days before to review, and only had a couple basic questions. Not a full case interview by any means. It was just to assess my problem solving abilities. I was told to expect a follow up within a week, and I did. It was to schedule my second Skype interview.

The second interview was with a more senior recruiter at the recruiting firm who seemed to have worked with EDF for some time. She was extremely nice and positive. I think she had a list of predetermined questions, and they were very situational, what did you do here? How would you deal with difficult stakeholders? Where would you go if you needed help? Afterwards, she said I would hear back by the end of the following week.

I heard back with an offer a few days later, but it was more informal and gauging my interest as it was at a location I had not specified in my application. They said I could take a few days to think it through and get back to them. I said I would be interested and they sent through a formal offer. I then had a firm deadline of one week to accept or decline, which seemed fast. The whole process took probably a little less than a month.

Interview Questions
    • If your host organization asked you to do something you had no experience in, where would you go for help?   Answer Question
    The placement might have been negotiable, but salary and training was not.

Development Assistant, Major Gifts Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Environmental Defense.

Phone with HR (30-45 mins), in-person interview with all major gifts officers 2-3 people (30 mins each separately), final in-person interview w/person in current position and events coordinator

Prospect Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Environmental Defense.

Phone interview, in-person interview, research test, in-person interview with team

Climate Corps Fellow Interview

Initial Skype interview with questions about financial analysis skills and knowledge of environmental practices.

Interview Questions
    • How would you describe sustainability to a five year old?   Answer Question

Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Environmental Defense.

One phone call and three in-person interviews.

Basically, no room for negotation since it was a fellowship.

Prospect Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Environmental Defense in December 2013.

The process was an interview with the head of the team, a take-home test (they gave me a name to research), a brief phone call with an HR person and a final meeting with the team members.

I had a very interesting experience interviewing with the EDF. The head of the team is an impressive, personable, straightforward lady. She talks a lot, but she does ask pointed questions and listens carefully when you answer.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. I had a strange experience in the final stage of the process, when I met the team members. They appeared to lack interviewing skills and were so informal that I thought they were unprofessional. One of them would frequently interrupt the interview to talk to the other, turn the fan on and off and attend to other distractions. I felt that I was barely given an opportunity to respond to a question fully.   Answer Question