Environmental Defense Interview Questions

Updated Jul 16, 2015

Climate Corps Fellow Interview

Interview

Two rounds of Skype interviews. The first one was more focused on my problem solving abilities and the second one more about the program and my expectations. The interviews were pretty informal and the people very nice. I never felt like I was grilled. The interviews were actually performed by an external consulting company.

Interview Questions

• Simple energy efficiency calculations like X light bulbs of X wattage need to be replaced. How much money will you save assuming they burn X hours   Answer Question

Program Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Environmental Defense (New York, NY).

Interview

I was contacted by the HR 2 weeks after I submitted my application. It was a 30 mins phone interview where I was asked regular questions, e.g. why EDF, tell me about your previous experience, where do you see yourself in 5 years...etc. 2 weeks later the 1-2-1 interview was scheduled with the team. Again, mostly behavioral questions. After that I've sent a thank you note to everyone, but never heard back from them. I followed up with the HR a week later and again nothing. Exactly 3 months (!) after the submission of my application I received a note that another candidate was selected for the position. No communication after the second interview was quite frustrating...

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Environmental Defense in April 2015.

Interview

I was approached by the EDF recruiters over email and setup a phone interview. They were very nice and the interview was pretty interesting. The recruiter asked behavioral based questions with a mix of questions related to fit and your ability to convey information. After the interview, they asked for three references in order to give you an offer. Also, once you accept an offer, you have a meeting with the client and there is a possibility they pull the offer at that point, if there isn't a fit.

Interview Questions

• How would you explain NPV or IRR to a ten year old? Explain Climate change to a ten year old. How have you convinced a manager to accept a proposal?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Environmental Defense (Austin, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied in January and heard from them in April. They use a consulting firm from California to conduct interviews through Skype. The first interview gauges your knowledge of finance and energy efficiency. They asked me to calculate the financial and energy savings of a particular lighting retrofit. You have to solve the problem right on the spot which is a little nerve-racking, but not too bad. They also ask a few scenario questions about dealing with employees who aren't environmentally focused. If you make it past the first round, there is a second interview a couple of weeks later. This interview is much more casual, and is meant to gauge your particular placement interests. You have to list your top organization and location choices, and explain why you chose them. After that, I heard from them in about two weeks with a placement. You have exactly one week to accept or decline the offer.

Interview Questions

• Q: How do you explain NPV to a person who doesn't have a financial background? How do you handle someone who doesn't believe in global warming?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They have a set stipend of $1,250 a week, as well as up to $2,500 in travel reimbursements to the training and networking event. The only negotiation is whether the assignment is 10 or 12 weeks long.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Environmental Defense.

Interview

I applied online and heard back after 4+ weeks. I had three interviews, one over skype and two over the phone. The first interview, over skype, was with a direct supervisor, the two subsequent were with people who were progressively higher up in the organization. The interview process took about 2 weeks, but it seemed like it would usually take less time, we just had a lot of scheduling problems.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Environmental Defense.

Interview

Contacted by email after 3-4 weeks of applying. Very courteous employee called for a phone interview. It only lasted 20 minutes. Never made it to the 2nd interview, the position was very competitive.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Environmental Defense.

Interview

Round 1: Skype interview

Interview Questions

• How would you explain ROI, NPV, & IRR to a facility staff person who has no finance knowledge?   Answer Question
    • Suppose you were at a cocktail reception where people from your host organization were present. An employee of your host organization asks, "So you think this whole global warming thing is a joke, right?"   Answer Question
    • How would you go about determining the number of lit exit signs in Manhattan?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Kingston, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Environmental Defense (Kingston, NY).

Interview

Four month process including an initial application, one technical interview, and one "cultural" interview. They use another company to conduct all the interview since there are so many applicants. It was very challenging but the interviewer was very nice and made it feel a little more casual. It was done over skype, which can get frustrating if the audio or video is off.

Interview Questions

• They sent out a graph right before the technical interview and asked to various questions about it, such as, which point on the graph represents a building that needs energy efficiency improvements.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Environmental Defense (Boston, MA) in March 2014.

Interview

EDF CC was a very thorough and detailed process. They source out their climate corps recruiting to an independent firm, who is very versed on the traits EDF is looking for, but can't always answer questions you might have about the experience and company. I believe the firm they use has been working with EDF for a while, so they are familiar with most questions that come up. My first interview was a phone/fit interview. We conducted it over Skype video call so it felt more casual then a phone conversation. We talked about EDF and the interviewer seemed really interested in my fit with the program than with my previous skills and experience in sustainability. I was sent a chart a few days before to review, and only had a couple basic questions. Not a full case interview by any means. It was just to assess my problem solving abilities. I was told to expect a follow up within a week, and I did. It was to schedule my second Skype interview. The second interview was with a more senior recruiter at the recruiting firm who seemed to have worked with EDF for some time. She was extremely nice and positive. I think she had a list of predetermined questions, and they were very situational, what did you do here? How would you deal with difficult stakeholders? Where would you go if you needed help? Afterwards, she said I would hear back by the end of the following week. I heard back with an offer a few days later, but it was more informal and gauging my interest as it was at a location I had not specified in my application. They said I could take a few days to think it through and get back to them. I said I would be interested and they sent through a formal offer. I then had a firm deadline of one week to accept or decline, which seemed fast. The whole process took probably a little less than a month.

Interview Questions

• If your host organization asked you to do something you had no experience in, where would you go for help?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The placement might have been negotiable, but salary and training was not.

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Environmental Defense.

Interview

Phone with HR (30-45 mins), in-person interview with all major gifts officers 2-3 people (30 mins each separately), final in-person interview w/person in current position and events coordinator