Environmental Protection Agency Environmental Protection Specialist Interview Questions

Updated Dec 2, 2014

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Environmental Protection Agency (Washington, DC).

Interview

Went through a series of phone interviews with 4 team members, then in-person interviews with 3 team members, the immediate supervisor, and Director. The group's culture was a good fit, and the staff with whom I interviewed were very personable and interested in how I could contribute to the group.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Very little room for negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for Environmental Protection Agency

Environmental Protection Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Environmental Protection Agency.

Interview

Called in for an in-person interview. One-on-one interview with the division supervisor. She mainly asked questions about my resume and previous experience. The entire interview lasted about a half hour. Within three or four days I was submitted a written offer.

Negotiation

It was an internship, so there really wasn't a negotiation phase.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Environmental Protection Agency (Boston, MA) in January 2012.

Interview

The position opening was communicated to me through my network of environmental colleagues. I submitted the standard federal forms an then completed two interviews. The first interview was with the key office contact who was conducting an initial screening interview. The three finalists, including me, conducted a second interview, a Q&A session, with ten office representatives. In addition, three references were contacted.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for the EPA? This isn't really that unexpected but it is a difficult question because working with a federal agency has it's pros and cons.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The biggest negotiation was where to be placed on the federal General Service schedule, which includes clerical workers at GS7 to 8, entry level employees at GS9, and top management at GS15. In addition, each GS level consists of 10 steps. Unfortunately, there isn't much room to negotiate around these entry terms (such is the stolid nature of the federal government). In hind sight, it would have been wise to stipulate an expectation for a maximum GS level, which then could be used leverage future promotions.

Environmental Protection Specialist Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Environmental Protection Agency in June 2011.

Interview

I was contacted for an interview after passing the evaluation process through USA Jobs. I was highly qualified for the job position, but thought it strange they were classifying the position as a Environmental Protection Specialist, which requires no degree. The interview itself consisted of two individuals in person and about four people on the phone. They each had a list of questions....it was weird taking the questions from the phone interviewers. They mostly asked me general questions which could be answered in "yes" or "no" , but I thoroughly elaborated on my responses. The only technical question came from one of the phone interviewers, "How would I go about evaluating a permit application?" I have over 20 years of permitting experience so I know I nailed that respons. There was not one question that I stumbled on and I have not received a rejection letter after 2 months (which is also weird). The only thing that I can guess is that they have some non-degreed candidate earmarked for the position. I am a current federal employee and if I scored higher than their intended candidate they may be waiting for the list to expire because I don't think they can hire below me.