Epic Games

Updated Nov 4, 2014
Updated Nov 4, 2014

3.8

Senior Tech Ops Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Epic Games in October 2014.

Submitted resume to online posting and received email request for phone screen a few days later. Very professional recruiter did initial screen, then setup follow up technical call with would be peers in Bellevue office. Determined that I wasn't an ideal technical fit for initial position, however new position was opening up which was a better fit and so new call was scheduled with hiring manager for that position.

As this process had taken some time Epic then sped up the process and flew me for an onsite in Cary, NC rather than waiting for an opportunity to get everyone in Bellevue, which I greatly appreciated. Extremely professional travel arrangements made including rental car and nice hotel room, with no detail left to chance. Was met in the lobby by the recruiter for quick walk to their office, received tour of their facility and some additional info about company history.

Did 5 or 6 1 hour sessions of varying technical and cultural fit detail with people from different parts of operations and platform engineering. Every session was very thorough, however everyone was super friendly and made themselves available to answer any questions I had. Answers were very forth coming, I got the distinct feeling they wanted me to know as much about them as they did about me.

Since on-site was on a Friday I didn't hear back until Monday afternoon, when we scheduled a call for Tuesday. Discussed proposed offer during Tuesday call, very low stress and easy as recruiter had been great about expectation setting up to this stage.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked to discuss a past project where my input was sought but not followed, and how I handled continuing to participate in the project and what I learned in the process.   Answer Question
    They discuss expectations early in the process so by the time an offer is being made you already know you'll say yes. Its very low stress and I found Epic wanted to exceed all of my desires up-front resulting in a very easy process.

Senior Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Epic Games.

Applied online and quickly received an email that I would be contacted within two weeks or probably not at all. Two months later I was contacted by a recruiter. After having a very pleasant phone call was asked to do a programming test and return it within a week. However the test was for a build engineering position and had nothing to do with the qualifications listed in the job posting. I did the test anyway and never heard anything back from the recruiter. After a month or so of waiting, I withdrew my application.

Senior Artist Interview

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Epic Games in November 2013.

This company have a really nice balance between technical requirements and human factor on the interview process. I first sent a resume, got feedback and they asked me to do a artwork test, that was really well organized and presented, after I passed the test they invited me to flight over from my country to their headquarters where I was interviewed. The HR folks was really nice and gave me a tour trough the office, after that I was interviewed by 5 different groups of 4 to 6 individuals. They were all really friendly and made really nice questions, from technical stuff to personal goals. After that I talked with HR again, and an official offer was presented to me and re-made on the spot to cover other offer I had.

Interview Questions
    • The only thing that was a bit hard was the fact that I spend the whole day talking to at least 20-24 individuals and that can make you feel really tired after a while. But since the interviewers was really nice folks, no biggy for real.   View Answer
    Just perfect, the HR and Recruiter lead was really nice and didn't made me a lowball offer, he was fair and explained the whole benefits and perks for the job. And even covered another offer I had at the time.

Epic Games Response

Oct 24, 2014Senior Recruiter

Thanks for the excellent feedback! You are right, interviewing with that many people can be overwhelming...that's why we have changed the way we are doing things. Now candidates only interview with ... More

Tools Programmer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Epic Games in February 2013.

They emailed me a programming test to take before proceeding with a phone screen, or in person interview.

Gameplay Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Epic Games in May 2010.

The process includes several take-home tests. Then there's a technical interview with problem-solving test (on a whiteboard, talking it out). At some point, you have a lunch interview with management. The final, most grueling part of the process is an all-day interview extravaganza, in which you speak to several small groups of people from the company. They sometimes ask exactly what you've been asked already, but then they'll throw all manner of questions at you from left field.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me about an issue in video game industry news lately, having to do with the Activision fiasco with the Call of Duty developers. The fact is that I didn't have a super-strong opinion about the matter and wanted to see it play out, but the person who asked it turned out to be a former Activision person that didn't care for that company. I'm not sure if my response made a difference or not, but it was not a topic I was planning on discussing.   Answer Question

Senior Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Epic Games in May 2009.

Submit resume, 30 minute Phone interview, Programming test, all-day onsite interview with long formal technical/whiteboard portion at the start. ~30m followup interviews with small groups for the rest of the day. Finish with HR discussion. Callback within a few days.

Interview Questions
    • The technical interview is grueling as you field all of them at once instead of once per interview session like many others. Come well rested, well fed and ready to think critically.   Answer Question
    No negotiations.