Epic Systems Corporation

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
24 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Madison, WI

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in October 2011.

Interview Details – I gave my resume to a recruiter at a campus career fair, and they responded via email about a week later asking me to complete an online test. The test was a few IQ-type questions with a few behavioral questions as well and took about 20 mins to complete.

After about another week, Epic asked me to do a phone interview. The phone interview lasted for 30 minutes and they asked me about my projects and academics. They also talked about their company and what the responsibilities of the job would be.

Finally, they asked me to do an exam that takes 2-3 hours to complete. This exam was proctored by a local business but it was created by Epic. It had a 2 minute 10-question component, a multiple choice problem component (String-based questions), and a programming component. Unfortunately I must have not performed up to par, since they informed me that they decided to "move forward with other candidates."

Interview Question – String-based questions (concatenation, substring, stuff like that but in a non-standard language)   Answer Question

Verona, WI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details – After the initial communication there is a data capture sheet (educational information, including GPA and standardized test scores), followed by a phone interview, followed by testing (logic, mathematics, programming, and personality), followed by an all-day on-site interview with varying individuals (team leads, HR, team members). The tests can feel a little intense; the programming test can be written in code or pseudo-code (any language). The general atmosphere is relaxed, including low expectations of candidates' attire. The on-site interview has group and individual sessions. Individual interviews consist of the usual one-on-one Q&A and are conducted by a person from that role rather than by HR. The questions are largely situational, fishing for the usual communication style, assertiveness, confidence, creativity, plus other attributes like resiliance, judgement, adaptation, and process. Everyone is very nice and offer a lot of chances to ask questions. They like to show off the campus and pull you around to different buildings and rooms. As expected, the dead time between each step of the overall process is unnerving.

Interview Question – Situational: You're working on a project where you need an expert's help, but the expert isn't responsive. What do you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation; the PTO schedule is fixed and the salary was sufficient.

Madison, WI

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in January 2012.

Interview Details – A personality test, then a phone interview, then a IQ and Program test lasts for about 4 hours.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Madison, WI

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details – My hiring and interview process was a long time ago so I don't feel it relevant to talk about based on where we are today. It was a fine experience though that sold me on the company and the direction they were heading.

Interface Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in February 2011.

Interview Details – I was contacted by the recruiter to set a phone interview. I was then called up at the alloted time and asked questions related to my projects, general about epic and the position requirements. next after a week i again got a call stating they would want me to sit for skills assessment test which included programming test, gre quant type test and questions based on a some language developed by them..speed and accuracy very important. after 2 weeks i got a reject.

Interview Question – Security Keypad Question. where the person is allowed to enter at the maximum one digit wrong and that digit can be in the horizontal and vertical directions only.   Answer Question

Interface Analyst

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in February 2011.

Interview Details – interview wasn't interesting at all. MIS was not they were looking for but i don't know why they wasted my time as well. They asked some basic q's not technical. THe technical round did not have any tech ques as well. But they hire computer science students. This is what i heard atleast.References works a lot. From your professors.

Interface Analyst

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in May 2011.

Interview Details – Submitting an application required a lot of educational stats: GPA, SAT/ACT scores, and the like. It's definitely a process geared toward entry-level candidates (though there is still room for experienced hires, and the offer took my experience into account when it came). The phone screening was quick, easy, and straightforward -- seemed to be mostly just a surface check to screen for obvious unsuitability.

On-site interviews: I was expected to drive myself, which took about five hours. Some people get flown in, I'm sure, but I guess I was within the get-here-on-your-own radius. They put me up in a hotel in downtown Madison, very near State Street -- surely aimed at showing off the city in its liveliest and most metropolitan light. It felt like a hefty drive the next morning to get from there to the campus. I had to give myself plenty of time to make sure I got through the city's morning traffic and a bunch of miles.

The day featured a lot of variety. The recruiters spent as much time selling me on Epic as they did evaluating me. We got some all-around pleasant propaganda for the company and the city, plus a quick tour of part of the campus.

But I certainly had work to do. The lengthiest and most challenging element was the battery of written exams, which included a pair of programming skills tests. I was told they'd be graded on accuracy and speed of completion. (The sort of person who enjoys pencil-and-paper puzzles will do very well in this process.)

I found myself in several small-group settings as well, given opportunities to learn about the software, to talk to a developer and ask questions about the job, and to eat lunch with an Epic employee in more of a casual social setting. I later learned that even my small-group lunch was evaluated -- our host was expected to send written comments on each of us back to HR. I suppose it was meant to screen friendliness or personality; I can't imagine what else you could judge from lunch.

I also spent an hour in a 1-on-1 setting with another developer. Probably the most stressful setting of the day, but it wasn't so bad. My interviewer led by lobbing programming problems at me to see how I'd do, and from there we shifted into discussion of specific technical project experience. I'd been told beforehand to come prepared to discuss a development project of interest from my past. The instructions mentioned preparing a visual aid ahead of time, but I'm sure I could have done without it. It was a typical interview; candidates will do well by staying relaxed, demonstrating knowledge and passion, and developing a comfortable rapport with the interviewer.

I'm proud to say I did not not seek the test questions online beforehand, which is of course cheating. But I did study before the on-site day, brushing up on core CS concepts like sorting, recursion, algorithms, vocabulary. I'm sure it helped on the tests and in the 1-on-1 interview. But even if all it does is help to maintain confidence, it's worth the time.

After all that, it's a waiting game. They've just collected a ton of information on a ton of people, and it takes time to process it all. I finally got a call about two weeks after my on-site visit -- it feels interminable while you're waiting, but there's nothing you can do. Once Epic's run all its results through whatever formula they've got, if they like what they see, they'll start contacting references, and then it's not long before Epic calls with their decision. In my case, they called as soon as they got off the phone with my reference.

To anyone about to submit themselves to this process, it's a great place to work. Good luck!

Madison, WI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in June 2010.

Interview Details – I got a mail from an Epic Recruiter asking me to apply for the interface Analyst position. I applied and received a follow up to take the personality test online. In a couple of days I received an invite for a phone interview. The interviewer called on the scheduled time and was a very friendly and accommodating person to talk to. The interview was a casual discussion about my previous experience and the kind of a job I looking for. I was pretty much confident of getting to the next step in the process and in a couple of days received a mail from HR person regarding scheduling an on site interview at the Epic HQ at Madison. I am scheduled for the interview next week. Hoping to get through this final step.

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in July 2010.

Interview Details – The hiring process consists of a written test and a phone interview and the company and interviewr are very friendly. once you get slected you receive a onsite call to visit madison for the final round.

Interview Question – where do you see yourself 5 years from now?   Answer Question

Detroit, MI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in June 2010.

Interview Details – 1. Recruiter sends email
2. After resume submission, online personality test is given
3. Phone interview of half an hour is done
4. Skills test at an offsite location is done

Interview Question – As an interface analyst, you need to bring your managerial as well as engineering skills together. Explain how will you do that.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Epic Systems Corporation

Worked for Epic Systems Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Epic Systems Corporation Interface Analyst interview questions and advice. All 24 interview reviews posted anonymously by Epic Systems Corporation employees and interview candidates.