Epic Systems Corporation

Updated Dec 14, 2014
1,800 Interview Reviews

2.9

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

I met an Epic recruiter at my university's career fair and gave her my resume. A few days later, I received an email saying that they wanted to set up a phone interview.

The phone interview was pretty straightforward - I was asked to explain my background, my interest in Epic, answer the ole "where do you see yourself in 5 years" question, and given plenty of opportunity to ask questions about the job and Epic in general. I had prepared quite thoroughly by researching Epic and developing a list of back-up questions to ask, so my interviewer and I talked for a long time. I'd recommend also asking questions throughout the interview if you think of them, so they know that you're actually listening while they're talking and can engage them in conversation, not just ask prepared questions.

About a week later I took the infamous Epic skills test.The math section is mainly composed of word problems/tricky "math riddles". There is a writing section which asks you to correct grammar mistakes (fairly easy, this is something you could study for), a logic section (analogies and puzzles - take your TIME to think through the puzzles and don't panic!) and a programming section where they teach you some basic concepts of a language and you answer questions based on their mini-lessons/examples. My understanding is that if you have programming experience, the section should be a breeze. I have zero programming experience, and the questions got increasingly more difficult, so by the end I was really struggling to come up with answers.... but I guess I did well enough to pass.

A few days after I took my skills test, I received an email saying that they wanted to bring me in for the on-site (final round) interviews. They flew me into Madison and I had dinner with a couple of Epic employees along with 4 or 5 other job candidates the night before my interview. This was a fun, informal time to get to know some people from Epic and ask them pretty much anything we wanted to know about the company and the area.

The on-site interviews: First I attended a presentation where Epic software was introduced. I then had a one-on-one session with a current PM/IC who talked to me specifically about what the position and answered my questions about it (this was not an interview.) Next I had a case study. They gave me and another candidate a case to read, and after what felt like only 10 minutes (but was probably longer than that) the interviewer came back into room to ask us questions about the case. She asked the same questions to both of us, and we switched off giving her our answers. I don't think the case questions were difficult; they just required some common sense and decisiveness. It somehow morphed into a full-blown behavioral interview, and she asked lots of "give me an example of a time that you....." questions. After the case study was over, I immediately went to another behavioral interview. This was non-stop behavioral questions for about half an hour and it was somewhat exhausting, especially since it was right after the case study. I highly recommend preparing for this by thinking of your major accomplishments and difficult situations at work/school/activities that you've tackled. Afterwards, I went to give my 10-minute presentation that I'd prepared. There were just a few Epic employees as my "audience" and they were very friendly. Make sure to pick a topic that you find enjoyable and comfortable to talk about. Have fun with it!
    After lunch we were given a partial tour of campus, and then I had my HR interview (last interview of the day.) This included a few more behavioral questions, and some questions about whether or not I'd be willing to re-locate, the salary I was expecting, etc.

I received a call one week later from my HR person with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What would each one of your references praise you for? What is something each one would say you could improve on?   Answer Question

I ultimately declined the offer because of location - I received an offer from a firm closer to where I live.

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

The online assessment everyone takes should take 2 hours maximum. I don't think it's nearly as hard as some people in other forums might say. They just want to make sure you have a decent grasp of grammar, logic, and basic math skills. The coding component probably tests how well you learn new skills, in my opinion. There was a 30 minute phone call that was very basic ie walk me through your resume, what do you see yourself doing in 5 years, etc. A current PM will interview you. Mine was very friendly and even chatted with me at the end a bit about Madison. The on- site interview includes a short 10 minute presentation (to make sure you can talk to people), a non-technical case, a fit interview with a current PM, and another interview by your recruiter. You get to eat lunch with current workers and take a tour of the campus (which is awesome). The night before a PM will take a group of interviewees out to dinner in Madison. It's a great chance to ask any questions you have about Epic, the role, or Madison.

Interview Questions
    • What's the most interesting thing about you/that you've done.   Answer Question
    Not much room for negotiation. They are a big company and don't need to really go out of their way to attract top talent (it comes to them). It might be different if you're a coding wizard though.

Software Developer Interview

The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

I met them at my school's career fair and I applied for internship right away.

Two weeks later I got an email saying they are very impressed with my resume and knowledge and decided to set up a phone interview. But they told me I also have to take a programming knowledge test and it is best to take it before phone interview, so I took the test and took me 4 hours to finish. It was such a waste of time with some silly questions and basic algorithm designs.

Few day before phone interview they said they are very impressed with my test results and looking forward for interview.

On the day of interview, On the phone there was a software engineer who was working at Epic and he asked me couple of questions regrading my resume and a basic algorithm design question, which was silly and very basic question, and he said he is very impressed with my phone interview and knowledge as well.

One week later I got an email saying they deciding to go with other candidates.

Such a waste of time.

By the way I have a 4.0 GPA in Computer Science so the reason they didn't want me is still a mystery to me.

Interview Questions
    • algorithm design, Max and Min sum problems. typical questions for interview.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Submitted an online application for this software developer role, got contacted by HR about two weeks later for a phone interview. Phone interview is a simple discussion about why the passion for Epic and software development. Around the same time, there is an online technical skills assessment that we need to complete. Some maths questions, some brain teasers, but most importantly 4 not-so-difficult programming questions. No formatting or compiler tools provided, whiteboard coding.

The onsite interview has two technical round + one HR round. The first technical round is a case study, a developer will present a scenario and ask you to think about how to design it into the system, usually database related. The second technical round is a detailed discussion about not of your previous project. After lunch time, there will be another HR interview which involves typical behavior questions.

Overall, its a pleasant interview experienced from beginning to end.

Software Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

I talked to a recruiter at a career fair. Didn't actually look to apply, but they asked for resume and 3 days later I got an interview offer. I didn't go through with the interview.

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview

I applied at a college career fair. I was contacted to schedule a phone interview and a skills assessment test. I did the phone interview first. It was very straight forward - questions about my resume and any questions I might have about the company, position, and location. The women I interviewed with was very nice, and made a great impression on me concerning the company. Next I was asked to complete the skills assessment test. It is time consuming and somewhat difficult, but not nearly as difficult as I had heard it would be. There really is no way to prepare for it, just expect basic grammar, math, and logic questions. Also there is a section on pseudo code.

Interview Questions
    • The skills assessment exam was the most difficult part. The pseudo code section can be difficult if you have no coding experience.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

I submitted application through epic.com, and got the email for updating transcript several days later. The Online Assessment and Phone Interview are arranged in one week after updated application. It's said the update will be in 2 weeks, but I didn't get the result yet.
    The OA includes 4 parts. 2 minutes for 10 questions, the difficulty is OK, but the time is very tight. The another 3 parts don't have time limitation, but it's said the time and accuracy will be counted. 20 questions about math, 20 questions about a new language study, 4 programming questions. The difficulty is middle level.
    Roughly, I feel the interview process is smooth. If I've finished the whole process, I may be able to provide more information.

Interview Questions
    • you have to be very quick for the 2 minutes assessment. I guess it may be good to do this part after the 20 math questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Hi all,

I have applied to EPIC when they came to our university career fair.

After 2 weeks, they contacted me to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was very easy about 30 minutes, a software developer asked couple of questions about projects I have worked on, asked questions such as how did u handle this case and this case etc.

Second,I had an online assessment test. I would not say the test was easy, but not that hard. If you know how to program, and if you think as an computer science major student you will be able to crack the questions especially programming part. Personally, I did not find the programming questions that hard. After two days, I received en email saying they invite me to an onsite interview.

Finally,the on site interview for interns is just tour of the campus.When I went there the weather was very cold , and could not see much of the campus's beauty.The morning of the interview day started with couple of software demo presentations,you can ask questions if you want but I think it is not required. After that, you will talk to a software developer, and present your a project you have worked on.The software developer was such a young guy with 3-4 years of experience, I presented my project in 20 mins and he did not ask any questions about my project at all. The required time was 45 min, and he was always looking at a watch and randomly started talking about the company and staff. Next, you will have an interview with HR where she or he will ask behavioral questions.In my case, I had an HR who graduated a college maybe 2-3 years ago. We had a talk about a team work,a little bit about projects and she asked question such as why epic,do you require a visa sponsorship etc.

After 2 weeks, I received a phone call saying that they decided to go with other candidates. The reason for the rejection is still mystery to me. Btw, I have a good GPA,a past internship experience and bunch of android IOS application experiences.Also, I am studying in one of the big ten universities. Only thing that is unusual is I am an international student.I do not know how they evaluate candidates. Also, it took me two month entire process because I could not find time for each round of the inverview,and had each round after 2-3 weeks.

Thanks.

Software Developer Interview

Phone, OA, on-site. In phone interview, it is mainly asked about the project and some idea about Epic. OA has four parts, one is ten fast problems in two minutes, second is math problems, third is new language learning, the last part is four programming problems. On-site interview has two tech parts, case study and project introduction, and hr part.

Technical Support Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Completed a phone interview, along with some assessments. In general, simply be yourself. They are not too intimidating. Just have a relaxed conversation with the interviewer. For the assessments, there is no way to "prepare" for them. All in all it's a pretty typical experience. Have good questions prepared for your interviewer, that will be your chance to shine.

Interview Questions
    • Can you name the individuals whom you talked to you about Epic Systems INC.   Answer Question