Epic Systems Corporation

1,477 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Developer
Madison, WI

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details – I applied online in late October, received an email a day later to schedule a phone interview. After the phone interview, I took a skills assessment through ProctorU a week later. Then I had an on-site interview 2 weeks later. All told, the process took 4 weeks, from application to offer.

The phone interview is about an hour long chat with a current developer. Standard interview questions are asked; be prepared to talk about a few projects and your roles in them. After this, you'll talk about the culture at Epic, the benefits of working there (the guy I talked with emphasized the lack of cubicles and perks like the subsidized cafeteria), the typical software stack, and Madison, WI.

The skills assessment is done on ProctorU. I had never taken a test using the service, but apparently it's common in certain universities for final exams and the like for online courses. When you're taking the test, you'll have another person monitoring you through a webcam looking for suspicious movement. Before the test starts, they will gain access to your computer and check your process list to close down any unnecessary programs (it irked me that they shut down Dropbox without even asking). They'll also ensure that your screen does not have any sticky notes on it, that your workspace is cleared, and so forth. They see your screen at all times. You're allowed a calculator and some scratch paper.

The assessment consists of 4 parts, the first 3 are written about elsewhere (Glassdoor has annoying post limit which necessitated truncating this part).

Final part is a four question programming test. This is pretty challenging; my biggest problem is that I often look at reference websites when writing code that uses standard libraries, and I had no such luxury for this test. As a result, much of what I wrote was pseudocode, as detailed as I could make it, and using real code when I could remember it. I also commented well and provide thoughts about time complexity and efficiency when appropriate. You can write in C, C++, Java, Python, etc. Javascript and other functional languages are unlisted if I recall correctly.

You should have an excellent grasp on string manipulation and data structures (both standard and custom). I'd recommend working out some problems on Project Euler, as one question would resemble those sort of math-based programming challenges. I won't state the specific problems, since it is worth more to a programmer to prepare generally and to be able to solve these problems on the spot.

They recommend to allow 2-3 hours to take the test, and this was pretty accurate for me. The first three sections fly by; I took 3 hours on the last section, however.

It took five days for Epic to get back to me after the assessment. Along with selecting a date for the on-site interview, I had to also take a Rembrandt personality test which is short and easy.

The on-site interview was actually the best part of the process. They covered my airfare and hotel room. You can choose to have dinner with some current employees and a few other candidates (Madison has excellent restaurants by the way, so I strongly recommend you do this!).

I arrived at the Epic campus at 8 AM the next morning. There is software demo with a current developer, who will talk about their project, the impact Epic has in healthcare, and will answer any questions. This is in a group of about 8 candidates. This group splits off so that four candidates have a conversation with a project lead about working at Epic.

After this, I met another developer and had an interview where I presented a project I had worked on and answered questions about implementation, challenges, etc.

Following this was a case-study interview with yet another developer. They present a general problem to solve and you have to create the basic system to solve it. When you are doing this they are constantly asking questions about how your system will handle extreme/odd cases. This can get pretty stressful, I suppose, but any programmer should be able to prototype a system fairly quickly.

The last person I met was my recruiter from HR who looked over my application, transcripts, and references, and asked me general questions like my strengths/weaknesses and what I was expecting in terms of salary, career growth, and so on. Be sure to know how much you are worth and ask accordingly!

After this I had lunch, toured the campus, went home.

I received an offer 1.5 weeks later. It is extremely competitive with other tech companies (the pay is basically equivalent to Google/Microsoft when considering the low cost of living in Madison) and with comprehensive benefits.

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate the salary or benefits as they were very generous, but I did negotiate the details of the position and they were very accommodating.

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details – First step was a phone interview after submitting my application through their website, after the phone interview I had to take some online assessments that were fairly challenging. After passing the assessments I was invited to an on-site interview which included dinner with a host, a short presentation, a tour, case study, position overview, position interview, and HR interview. It was very well organized and it was clear that Epic has gotten really good at hosting large groups of recruits. It was fun to meet so many new people throughout the process and it was definitely a unique interview experience that you won't likely find anywhere else. I loved their campus and everyone there seemed happy to be there. I am still waiting to hear back from them about the position.

Interview Question – What would your references say are your biggest weaknesses?   Answer Question

Indianapolis, IN

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through campus job fair they send me an email to complete a form online then after one week they send me another email to give them some time slot for a call interview. The phone interview was mostly behavioral questions and about my background and why I like this position. Then they sent an assessment test that I had to take. It has several parts such as logic problems math problems and programming part.

Interview Question – Since both the accuracy and time were important I did not know which one I should focuse more. Besides for the programming part since I was not allowed to use web I had to have every thing on top of my head which was unexpected.   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Interview

Interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation

Interview Details – I had an initial phone interview, which lasted about 20 minutes. They just went over my resume and confirmed details with me. I also had the opportunity to ask questions related to the position. After that, I was invited to take the online assessment. This was proctored via skype, so it did get a bit awkward. I found the assessment extremely difficult, and actually was rejected after they received my results. However, a couple weeks later I was contacted again and told that they would like to continue with me, and invited me for an on-site interview. The interview lasted from the morning to afternoon. It was a series of tours, information sessions, and three one-on-one interviews. I found the experience to be really nice. I got to meet a bunch of other people that were interviewing for positions at Epic too--which was a bit scary considering how many of them there were. Overall, I found my experience to be quite pleasant, and really liked how easy-going everyone at Epic was. They made interviewing that much easier.

Interview Question – They asked the usual questions expected during an interview.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Madison, WI

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online, after 1-2 months, I received phone interview with recuriter.
I had 2 phone interviews and 1 online testing then after onsite interview, I received offer in a week.

Interview Question – The online testing is quite long   Answer Question

Madison, WI

I applied online and interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details – Apply online, get response after about 3 weeks. Then have a phone interview which is about 40 mins. In the phone interview, just talk about my background, and have a brain teaser question. This question is not difficult if you met some similar ones before. Even though I didn't solve it at that time, I still get an on-site invitation later. Then schedule a online test. About 4 days after the online test, get on-site invitation.

Interview Question – The programming questions are average. And there are some math questions, logic test.   Answer Question

Technical Services Interview

Madison, WI

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in April 2014.

Interview Details – I had initially been contacted through a campus recruiter recommending that I apply online. I did and was almost immediately contacted to set up a phone interview, followed by an online reasoning test, and then I was flown out to Madison for a whole day visit. The only real complaint that I had was that I was pushed through the process almost too quickly – before I even got a chance to tell them that I was more interested in a different position with the company then TS I was already on to the next round, and I didn't have a chance to really pursue implementation – which I think I would enjoy more.

Interview Question – None of it was difficult or unexpected for me.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in April 2014.

Interview Details – There's one phone interview, an about 3-hour online test, an onsite interview.
The phone interview is nothing serious (according to the recruiter that called me) just talking. Asked basic java (or whatever your main language is) concept questions like difference between abstract class and interface.
The famous online test contains logic (just like GRE/SAT), limited time logic, learning new language (which is very very easy if you do it carefully but not over-think), algorithm. The algorithm part has 4 questions, which is not very hard. You can write whatever language you like in a plain-text editor. You really can find a lot of questions here. I did read a lot but I didn't remember the answer so I did it by myself in the exam. But it's time-consuming. I'm not very good at math and logic. So if you really value this test, please do search. They don't set time limit, but you'd better finish that around 3 hours. Although I think they have wired picking standard (because all my super-technical smart classmates failed while me who is not so good at coding passed), the key to pass is to be careful and calm.
The onsite interview is a very good experience. The campus is AWESOME! They even have a D&G building and some farm yard for employee to plant! All people there are very nice and helpful, trying to help you solve problem. The project presentation DO NOT require a slides. I did a very fancy PPT but didn't use. The engineer will ask you in detail about your project. (But preparing for the PPT did help me review my project).
The dinners were great, and talking with employee would definitely help you understand what do you want and what would they provide. So if you have time please do choose the dinner option. That helps me a lot!
BTW an employee told me HR has big power on the decision. So you may wanna behave well during the HR part in the onsite process and give her/him a good impression that you're really interested in the company.
The offer is very very generous. The salary is very good.

Interview Question – given a drug, find the most common drug(s) that are used together with this drug. (You have each patient's drug table)   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Haven't declined. But really want to go CA and hate winter. Otherwise it would be a very very good offer.

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview

Verona, WI

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in March 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted an application through their website and they got back to me a week later to set up a phone interview. I spoke with a current project manager who asked typical interview questions - how'd I hear about Epic, tell about some things on your resume, where do I see myself in 5 years, etc... I then was set up with an online proctored assessment (about 1.5 hours, very much like an LSAT/GRE/SAT type) which tested logic, math and English skills.

A week later, they invited me to an all day on-campus interview. They pay for the flight, cabs, hotel, and the night before, a current employee took other candidates and I out to a very nice dinner in downtown Madison. The next morning, a cab took us out to Epic's campus. There were probably 35 other candidates there that day, and the entire day felt like a college visit again. We sat down for a software demo, met with a project manager to find out more about the job and gave a 10-minute presentation on any topic. The main interview was a case study with another candidate about dealing with different types of hospital employees, and another interview with HR at the end of the day asking typical interview questions.

Interview Question – Describe 5 things you are not   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I did not like the area and the job would not have given me any type of long-term career benefit (however, it seems that if you are interested in healthcare management or IT, then this would be a perfect entry-level opportunity for you).

Quality Assurance Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details – First they do a phone interview, and the people were very nice. Then if you get through that round, you have to do an online skills assessment. It's this kind of odd set up where someone proctors your exam via a webcam, but the test wasn't too bad. Mostly math and verbal questions like the SAT, but there's one section about computer programming, and how fast you can learn those skills.

Interview Question – The programming questions were kind of complicated.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Epic Systems Corporation

Worked for Epic Systems Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Epic Systems Corporation interview questions and advice. All 1,477 interview reviews posted anonymously by Epic Systems Corporation employees and interview candidates.