Epic Systems Corporation

Updated Dec 21, 2014
1,811 Interview Reviews

2.9

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

I met an Epic recruiter at my university's career fair and gave her my resume. A few days later, I received an email saying that they wanted to set up a phone interview.

The phone interview was pretty straightforward - I was asked to explain my background, my interest in Epic, answer the ole "where do you see yourself in 5 years" question, and given plenty of opportunity to ask questions about the job and Epic in general. I had prepared quite thoroughly by researching Epic and developing a list of back-up questions to ask, so my interviewer and I talked for a long time. I'd recommend also asking questions throughout the interview if you think of them, so they know that you're actually listening while they're talking and can engage them in conversation, not just ask prepared questions.

About a week later I took the infamous Epic skills test.The math section is mainly composed of word problems/tricky "math riddles". There is a writing section which asks you to correct grammar mistakes (fairly easy, this is something you could study for), a logic section (analogies and puzzles - take your TIME to think through the puzzles and don't panic!) and a programming section where they teach you some basic concepts of a language and you answer questions based on their mini-lessons/examples. My understanding is that if you have programming experience, the section should be a breeze. I have zero programming experience, and the questions got increasingly more difficult, so by the end I was really struggling to come up with answers.... but I guess I did well enough to pass.

A few days after I took my skills test, I received an email saying that they wanted to bring me in for the on-site (final round) interviews. They flew me into Madison and I had dinner with a couple of Epic employees along with 4 or 5 other job candidates the night before my interview. This was a fun, informal time to get to know some people from Epic and ask them pretty much anything we wanted to know about the company and the area.

The on-site interviews: First I attended a presentation where Epic software was introduced. I then had a one-on-one session with a current PM/IC who talked to me specifically about what the position and answered my questions about it (this was not an interview.) Next I had a case study. They gave me and another candidate a case to read, and after what felt like only 10 minutes (but was probably longer than that) the interviewer came back into room to ask us questions about the case. She asked the same questions to both of us, and we switched off giving her our answers. I don't think the case questions were difficult; they just required some common sense and decisiveness. It somehow morphed into a full-blown behavioral interview, and she asked lots of "give me an example of a time that you....." questions. After the case study was over, I immediately went to another behavioral interview. This was non-stop behavioral questions for about half an hour and it was somewhat exhausting, especially since it was right after the case study. I highly recommend preparing for this by thinking of your major accomplishments and difficult situations at work/school/activities that you've tackled. Afterwards, I went to give my 10-minute presentation that I'd prepared. There were just a few Epic employees as my "audience" and they were very friendly. Make sure to pick a topic that you find enjoyable and comfortable to talk about. Have fun with it!
    After lunch we were given a partial tour of campus, and then I had my HR interview (last interview of the day.) This included a few more behavioral questions, and some questions about whether or not I'd be willing to re-locate, the salary I was expecting, etc.

I received a call one week later from my HR person with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What would each one of your references praise you for? What is something each one would say you could improve on?   Answer Question

I ultimately declined the offer because of location - I received an offer from a firm closer to where I live.

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

The online assessment everyone takes should take 2 hours maximum. I don't think it's nearly as hard as some people in other forums might say. They just want to make sure you have a decent grasp of grammar, logic, and basic math skills. The coding component probably tests how well you learn new skills, in my opinion. There was a 30 minute phone call that was very basic ie walk me through your resume, what do you see yourself doing in 5 years, etc. A current PM will interview you. Mine was very friendly and even chatted with me at the end a bit about Madison. The on- site interview includes a short 10 minute presentation (to make sure you can talk to people), a non-technical case, a fit interview with a current PM, and another interview by your recruiter. You get to eat lunch with current workers and take a tour of the campus (which is awesome). The night before a PM will take a group of interviewees out to dinner in Madison. It's a great chance to ask any questions you have about Epic, the role, or Madison.

Interview Questions
    • What's the most interesting thing about you/that you've done.   Answer Question
    Not much room for negotiation. They are a big company and don't need to really go out of their way to attract top talent (it comes to them). It might be different if you're a coding wizard though.

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Phone interview is very easy. Assessment is very difficult and you have no way of preparing for it. Ultimately the second interview is based on how well you do in the assessment.

Technical Services/Project Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Phone interview was set up after my resume was picked up by the Epic College Recruiting folks. Prior to the phone interview, I was to complete an online assessment, which comprised of: Speed Math (2 min), Math, Reading/Grammer, Programming.

After the test was processed and a few weeks passed, I was invited for an onsite interview. While onsite, we were given an itinerary of activities to be done (depending on the job one was being interviewed for). PMs were to participate in a group activity of a hypothetical conflict resolution, followed by an independent presentation to your recruiter, and a final interview. During the final interview, a number of personal questions were asked, including but not limited to: greatest weakness, what you believe the biggest misconception people may have about you, interests, life-changing experiences, etc.

For the technical services position, I was placed in a small room with a computer and set to complete four programming tasks using about any language that I wanted. One of the questions may have been to create a function which can take in an NxN matrix and can be configured to spin either clockwise or counterclockwise for any number of spins.

E-Learning Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview process had many levels including skills assessment test on home computer. On site interview process lasted most of the day and began in a room with 25 other applicants, followed by a campus tour in smaller groups. One-on-one interview was a small part of the day. Many hours of testing in a computer lab. Lunch was included mid-day. The campus and the food was awesome.

Software Developer Interm Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

First round was a telephonic interview.
    In this round, interviewer asked about the projects I worked on, challenges faced by our team in those projects and how we resolved them, next he told me about the life of past interns over there.
    Second Round
    This round is an online test. In this we had 3 sections
    1. Quantitative Aptitude
    2. Speed Round (solve as many questions as you can out of 10 question in 1 minute)
    3. Programming: In this section we were asked to write code (in any language). There were 4 questions. Caution: You will not be able to compile and test, Give your best shot and get your logic correct.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Talked with a recruiter at a college career fair and scored a phone interview (45ish mins). All of this was pretty chill and not technically hard.

Next came the online assessment, which is fairly (though no unreasonably) brutal. It's an online proctored test that consists of 4 sections: Math, 2 Minute, Programming, and Programming Language. 2 Minute was the only one that really caught me off guard (couldn't find a nonscientific nongraphing calculator) and I had to speed through that and still didn't finish. The others are as expected, but I took around 3 hours to finish. I also got a short personality test as a followup to this a bit later.

Last was the onsite, which was actually super chill. I talked with a developer during the day about my experiences (no technical part, which was unexpected) and with my HR recruiter later. Lot easier than I expected.

Interview Questions
    • How would you store a large set of patient + symptom information?   Answer Question
    I didn't try to negotiate.

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview

Went through campus recruiting. Submitted my resume and transcript through their website portal. I was emailed within a couple of days of submission requesting a phone interview and also was asked to take their online assessment. The phone interview was simply behavioral and was not stressful. The online assessment was a bit difficult and the live proctoring via webcam added pressure.

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Signed up at career fair at college, asked to take test but was unable to make it. HR telephone interview, flew me out to them and had an all day interview

Software Developer Interview

The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

I met them at my school's career fair and I applied for internship right away.

Two weeks later I got an email saying they are very impressed with my resume and knowledge and decided to set up a phone interview. But they told me I also have to take a programming knowledge test and it is best to take it before phone interview, so I took the test and took me 4 hours to finish. It was such a waste of time with some silly questions and basic algorithm designs.

Few day before phone interview they said they are very impressed with my test results and looking forward for interview.

On the day of interview, On the phone there was a software engineer who was working at Epic and he asked me couple of questions regrading my resume and a basic algorithm design question, which was silly and very basic question, and he said he is very impressed with my phone interview and knowledge as well.

One week later I got an email saying they deciding to go with other candidates.

Such a waste of time.

By the way I have a 4.0 GPA in Computer Science so the reason they didn't want me is still a mystery to me.

Interview Questions
    • algorithm design, Max and Min sum problems. typical questions for interview.   Answer Question