Epic Systems Corporation Interview Questions

Updated Mar 26, 2015
2,052 Interview Reviews

2.9

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

I met an Epic recruiter at my university's career fair and gave her my resume. A few days later, I received an email saying that they wanted to set up a phone interview.

The phone interview was pretty straightforward - I was asked to explain my background, my interest in Epic, answer the ole "where do you see yourself in 5 years" question, and given plenty of opportunity to ask questions about the job and Epic in general. I had prepared quite thoroughly by researching Epic and developing a list of back-up questions to ask, so my interviewer and I talked for a long time. I'd recommend also asking questions throughout the interview if you think of them, so they know that you're actually listening while they're talking and can engage them in conversation, not just ask prepared questions.

About a week later I took the infamous Epic skills test.The math section is mainly composed of word problems/tricky "math riddles". There is a writing section which asks you to correct grammar mistakes (fairly easy, this is something you could study for), a logic section (analogies and puzzles - take your TIME to think through the puzzles and don't panic!) and a programming section where they teach you some basic concepts of a language and you answer questions based on their mini-lessons/examples. My understanding is that if you have programming experience, the section should be a breeze. I have zero programming experience, and the questions got increasingly more difficult, so by the end I was really struggling to come up with answers.... but I guess I did well enough to pass.

A few days after I took my skills test, I received an email saying that they wanted to bring me in for the on-site (final round) interviews. They flew me into Madison and I had dinner with a couple of Epic employees along with 4 or 5 other job candidates the night before my interview. This was a fun, informal time to get to know some people from Epic and ask them pretty much anything we wanted to know about the company and the area.

The on-site interviews: First I attended a presentation where Epic software was introduced. I then had a one-on-one session with a current PM/IC who talked to me specifically about what the position and answered my questions about it (this was not an interview.) Next I had a case study. They gave me and another candidate a case to read, and after what felt like only 10 minutes (but was probably longer than that) the interviewer came back into room to ask us questions about the case. She asked the same questions to both of us, and we switched off giving her our answers. I don't think the case questions were difficult; they just required some common sense and decisiveness. It somehow morphed into a full-blown behavioral interview, and she asked lots of "give me an example of a time that you....." questions. After the case study was over, I immediately went to another behavioral interview. This was non-stop behavioral questions for about half an hour and it was somewhat exhausting, especially since it was right after the case study. I highly recommend preparing for this by thinking of your major accomplishments and difficult situations at work/school/activities that you've tackled. Afterwards, I went to give my 10-minute presentation that I'd prepared. There were just a few Epic employees as my "audience" and they were very friendly. Make sure to pick a topic that you find enjoyable and comfortable to talk about. Have fun with it!
    After lunch we were given a partial tour of campus, and then I had my HR interview (last interview of the day.) This included a few more behavioral questions, and some questions about whether or not I'd be willing to re-locate, the salary I was expecting, etc.

I received a call one week later from my HR person with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What would each one of your references praise you for? What is something each one would say you could improve on?   Answer Question

I ultimately declined the offer because of location - I received an offer from a firm closer to where I live.

Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI
    Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in March 2015.

a phone interview and an online assessement; In the phone interview, they just asked about my projects on the resume. and my programming experience. A week later, I got noticed that I need to take an online assessment. This assessment had 4 parts, first is 10 quick response questions, very easy, just be quick, you have 2 minutes limit; second is math questions, not hard, but need to be very careful; third is programming learning, they first teach you some basic rules about a new programming language and then test you each point they have shown you. I think this part is to test if you are a quick learner; the last part is 4 programming questions using the languages they have provided, for me, these questions are not very easy. It took a long time. Please prepare a calculator for the test. I forget to prepare one so it took longer to figure some questions. Please keep this in mind: being fast is important, but not as important as accuracy. You can find online assessment sample questions on the website to prepare for the assessment.

Interview Questions
    • In the phone interview, they just asked about my projects on the resume. and my programming experience. A week later, I got noticed that I need to take an online assessment. This assessment had 4 parts, first is 10 quick response questions, very easy, just be quick, you have 2 minutes limit; second is math questions, not hard, but need to be very careful; third is programming learning, they first teach you some basic rules about a new programming language and then test you each point they have shown you. I think this part is to test if you are a quick learner; the last part is 4 programming questions using the languages they have provided, for me, these questions are not very easy. It took a long time. Please prepare a calculator for the test. I forget to prepare one so it took longer to figure some questions. Please keep this in mind: being fast is important, but not as important as accuracy. You can find online assessment sample questions on the website to prepare for the assessment.   View Answers (5)

I applied online – interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

phone interview & and a online test. Do career cup's problem and you will be fine. I only took 2and half hours to finish the test, but after I turned it in, I found I got two bugs in it... so CHECK carefully before you turn it in since you can't really test it. Phone interview will ask a design question. Mine is given a robort and a maze, it has function that go forward, turn left/right. How can u walk the robort out of the maze.

Interview Questions
    • given a string, print all permutation of the string but uppercase letters and special chars don't move   Answer Question

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

After the phone screen, I was brought on campus in Madison and asked to do a presentation on anything I wanted for about 10 minutes. The campus was gorgeous, the people were kind, and I was and am hooked. If you get an interview, make sure to get a good night's sleep and take it seriously but don't stress too much.

Technical Services Problem-Solver Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

You start off by scheduling a phone interview. It was very relaxed. The person who I talked to was actually kind of awkward. They just confirm details on your resume. They will ask you about your projects and classes. Probably a week later I got an e-mail asking to schedule an online assessment and personality test.

This online assessment is interesting. It is proctored online and has 4 sections: speed test, coding, fake code, and math.
    The speed test is simple math problems and you have 2 minutes to answer them. The coding portion is self explanatory but I think it's unfair for people who don't have a coding background such as myself. The fake code section is testing you capacity to learn on the fly. It uses a made up coding language and you need to apply the rules they tell you to the questions they give. Not too bad besides using code jargon that I wasn't super familiar with. Finally the math assessment was a mix of word problems and riddles.

About 2 weeks later I was told they were looking at other candidates.

Technical Services Engineer Interview

I applied a few months before my graduation date. They were pretty quick to setting up a phone interview, which was a basic introductory interview. Questions revolved around my resume and current/past projects. The interviewer talked at length about the position, and we exchanged a few words about finer details of the job. Was offered to take an exam through their online proctor service, and promptly replied. The exam had four parts: 1) 2-minute test to see how many questions I could answer 2) 4 programming related questions 3) A test asking questions about a made up programming langauge and 4) A basic logic/math exam. Every section went well except for the programming related section. I waited about a week and was denied the position.

Technical Writer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Started with a brief phone screen, which was mostly geared towards exciting you about the process to come. Next was a timed writing test, where you write press releases, edit grammar, etc. After that was the famous skills assessment and personality assessment. I thought these were tricky, but not horrible- although I did not get an offer. Very quick process

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Grad school?
      LSAT type logic questions, math problems, brainteasers

Answer Question

Quality Assurance Interview

A phone interview, a few assessments, and an on-site interview. It was a typical interview process. I am going in for my on-site interview soon and will know more about what will be expected before I see if I get an offer.

Technical Services Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Applied online and was contacted within a week or so. The next steps included a 30 min phone interview and an online assessment. The online assessment was mostly problem solving (word problems and math) and some coding as well. A next or so later I was invited for an on site interview. I'm currently at this stage in the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • How did you learn about Epic and why are you interested?   Answer Question

Phone interview -> Online Assessment -> Onsite