Epic Systems Corporation

Updated Jan 23, 2015
1,873 Interview Reviews

2.9

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

I met an Epic recruiter at my university's career fair and gave her my resume. A few days later, I received an email saying that they wanted to set up a phone interview.

The phone interview was pretty straightforward - I was asked to explain my background, my interest in Epic, answer the ole "where do you see yourself in 5 years" question, and given plenty of opportunity to ask questions about the job and Epic in general. I had prepared quite thoroughly by researching Epic and developing a list of back-up questions to ask, so my interviewer and I talked for a long time. I'd recommend also asking questions throughout the interview if you think of them, so they know that you're actually listening while they're talking and can engage them in conversation, not just ask prepared questions.

About a week later I took the infamous Epic skills test.The math section is mainly composed of word problems/tricky "math riddles". There is a writing section which asks you to correct grammar mistakes (fairly easy, this is something you could study for), a logic section (analogies and puzzles - take your TIME to think through the puzzles and don't panic!) and a programming section where they teach you some basic concepts of a language and you answer questions based on their mini-lessons/examples. My understanding is that if you have programming experience, the section should be a breeze. I have zero programming experience, and the questions got increasingly more difficult, so by the end I was really struggling to come up with answers.... but I guess I did well enough to pass.

A few days after I took my skills test, I received an email saying that they wanted to bring me in for the on-site (final round) interviews. They flew me into Madison and I had dinner with a couple of Epic employees along with 4 or 5 other job candidates the night before my interview. This was a fun, informal time to get to know some people from Epic and ask them pretty much anything we wanted to know about the company and the area.

The on-site interviews: First I attended a presentation where Epic software was introduced. I then had a one-on-one session with a current PM/IC who talked to me specifically about what the position and answered my questions about it (this was not an interview.) Next I had a case study. They gave me and another candidate a case to read, and after what felt like only 10 minutes (but was probably longer than that) the interviewer came back into room to ask us questions about the case. She asked the same questions to both of us, and we switched off giving her our answers. I don't think the case questions were difficult; they just required some common sense and decisiveness. It somehow morphed into a full-blown behavioral interview, and she asked lots of "give me an example of a time that you....." questions. After the case study was over, I immediately went to another behavioral interview. This was non-stop behavioral questions for about half an hour and it was somewhat exhausting, especially since it was right after the case study. I highly recommend preparing for this by thinking of your major accomplishments and difficult situations at work/school/activities that you've tackled. Afterwards, I went to give my 10-minute presentation that I'd prepared. There were just a few Epic employees as my "audience" and they were very friendly. Make sure to pick a topic that you find enjoyable and comfortable to talk about. Have fun with it!
    After lunch we were given a partial tour of campus, and then I had my HR interview (last interview of the day.) This included a few more behavioral questions, and some questions about whether or not I'd be willing to re-locate, the salary I was expecting, etc.

I received a call one week later from my HR person with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What would each one of your references praise you for? What is something each one would say you could improve on?   Answer Question

I ultimately declined the offer because of location - I received an offer from a firm closer to where I live.

Technical Services Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

The overall interview, to me, consists of total of three rounds:
    1) Phone screening/interview
    2) Online assessment
    3) On-site interview

Everything happened to me relatively fast; from first applying to getting an offer only took me exactly one month. HR responded my emails very quickly and were very nice and helpful along the entire process.

Applied at the beginning of December for software developer, heard back from the HR the next day about setting up for a phone interview, but for TS. The phone interview was just some basic behavioral questions and going over your resume. The interviewer (a TS employee) will answer any questions you have towards the company and job, go over the basic duties of the position you apply for and make sure you still want to continue in the applying process.

Two days later, received an email to take an online-proctored assessments. I was freaking out about this test because I heard it can be hard. And like the others say, you can't really prepare for this. I think as long as you have some background in coding (I did MATLAB in Freshman year and that was it), you should be fine. If not, read some basic pseudo code introduction and you should be able to pass this round. The assessments consists of a speed test on math, math, verbal, introduction of a new programming language and the actual programming part. Only the first section has a two-minute limit and the rest is based on your accuracy and speed. I would recommend spend no more than three hours and no, you wouldn't know your score at the end.

Two days after the assessment, I was invited to the on-site interview. They put me and a bunch of recruits in a very nice hotel, all expenses paid(including everything you eat during the trip!). Got there the day before my interview and had a dinner with some Epic employees, it was super relaxed and they'd answer all your questions.

My interview started around 10. There was a demo showing the software, a tour around a small portion of the huge campus of Epic, a casual meeting and Q&A with a TS, lunch, some more verbal test, a case study, and a wrap-up interview with HR. The schedule was really tight but nothing really technical. All the interview questions can be found here on Glassdoor so I won't repeat them. Just be really nice and proactive in your tone and you should be more than fine. And you don't need to wear suit and tie for this day, just business causal or a button-up shirt would be good. Epic hires about 250 fresh college grads per year and they are constantly expanding, so chances are you will be hired!

Interview Questions
    • The case study was perhaps the most difficult portion for the entire interview. Be ready to tell how you prioritize different emails and voice mails in the given scenarios. The interviewer will add constraints and extra conditions that make your previous answer seem inappropriate and inconsiderate, just be ready to work your brain really fast.   Answer Question
    Not much negotiation was needed since the salary they offered was in the upper range of my proposed salary.

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

The process consisted of an informational interview, a personality test, an extended test (3 hours long) with subjects that included grammar, mathematics, logic puzzles, and computer programming. It is a seriously flawed process. I would recommend not wasting your time.

Quality Assurance Interview

The process took a total of 4 weeks. A phone screening, some online tests, and then they flew me out to Madison for on-site. Most of the on-site questions were behavioral. They're very devoted to hiring the right people and it shows. The people, food, and campus are all phenomenal.

Interview Questions
    I haven't tried negotiating.

Software Developer Interview

First, resume. Second phone interview, just ask some behavior question and resume review, it is normal and easy. Third online assessment, Careercup bbs has almost all the coding questions.besides logical questions, quick questions and math questions. if you do a good preparation. you will get the onsite. Fourth, onsite, demo - talk with an engineer - resume interview - study case interview - hr interview - visiting the campus. Fifth, got offer in a week.

Interview Questions
    • the most difficult part is the online assessment. but you can prepare it via careercup bbs. if you get onsite, you will get the offer 90%.   Answer Question

vb ~~

Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

I submitted my resume via online application and received an email shortly afterwards to set up a phone interview and another email about the technical assessment. The call was with a software developer, but it was pretty basic and seemed to be trying to gauge general fit/provide an opportunity to ask questions. I took the technical assessment the following day, and it was much more difficult than anticipated, especially the programming portion.

Technical Services Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

They reached out to me after seeing my profile/resume on the my school's career website

First step was a phone interview with a member of the Technical Services team at Epic

After that, I heard back that the next steps were to take an online Technical Assessment and Rembrandt profile for the company to better understand my skills and personality.

Final step was getting invited to Wisconsin for a site interview. This day was a great experience! I had many of the same experiences as others who have posted here. I met with a member of TS to learn more about the role, took a final part of the assessment, got a tour, ate lunch, did a case study, and met with someone from HR for wrap-up. The whole 24-hour experience was a great way to get a feel for Wisconsin (I recommend walking around a bit, even in winter) and the company as a whole. As others have said, Epic has a very unique culture and seems like a great company to work for (entry level).

I am still waiting to hear back if I got an offer or not.

Technical Services Problem-Solver Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

employee referral submitted my resume to a recruiter, who then asked me to fill out an online application. I was then offered a phone interview, which for the most part was informational but did have a couple of "where do you see yourself in five years", "what are you looking for in a company" type questions. I was just recently accepted to the next step, which will be a skills test. If I do well enough on that, I will hopefully be offered an on-site interview, which should be the final step in the process.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a project you are most proud of, that you saw to completion.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

I applied at career fair and got a phone interview call in two weeks.
    It was mostly a resume walk through and a design question at the end.
    Question - design an autonomous robotic system

Technical Services Problem-Solver Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

I applied through campus recruiting and filled out a very brief application at a career fair. A week later they emailed me about a 30 minute phone interview (which lasted 45 min). It was mostly him understanding my motivations for applying to this job and asking some brief questions about my educational background. 2 days after this they sent me the technical examination consisting of 4 sections. The math and logic sections were fairly straightforward. My programming section wasn't the best. I wrote some pretty inefficient code... but I suppose Epic was less pessimistic about my performance than I was. A week later they invited me to dinner and an onsite interview. The interview there was not technical at all. Questions asked were either personal or involved time management. Everyone was dressed very casually except a couple interviewees that stuck out quite a bit.

Interview Questions
    • What would your referees say about you (both positive and negative)   Answer Question

Epic seems to use outdated languages