Epic Systems Corporation

Updated Feb 26, 2015
1,978 Interview Reviews

2.9

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

I met an Epic recruiter at my university's career fair and gave her my resume. A few days later, I received an email saying that they wanted to set up a phone interview.

The phone interview was pretty straightforward - I was asked to explain my background, my interest in Epic, answer the ole "where do you see yourself in 5 years" question, and given plenty of opportunity to ask questions about the job and Epic in general. I had prepared quite thoroughly by researching Epic and developing a list of back-up questions to ask, so my interviewer and I talked for a long time. I'd recommend also asking questions throughout the interview if you think of them, so they know that you're actually listening while they're talking and can engage them in conversation, not just ask prepared questions.

About a week later I took the infamous Epic skills test.The math section is mainly composed of word problems/tricky "math riddles". There is a writing section which asks you to correct grammar mistakes (fairly easy, this is something you could study for), a logic section (analogies and puzzles - take your TIME to think through the puzzles and don't panic!) and a programming section where they teach you some basic concepts of a language and you answer questions based on their mini-lessons/examples. My understanding is that if you have programming experience, the section should be a breeze. I have zero programming experience, and the questions got increasingly more difficult, so by the end I was really struggling to come up with answers.... but I guess I did well enough to pass.

A few days after I took my skills test, I received an email saying that they wanted to bring me in for the on-site (final round) interviews. They flew me into Madison and I had dinner with a couple of Epic employees along with 4 or 5 other job candidates the night before my interview. This was a fun, informal time to get to know some people from Epic and ask them pretty much anything we wanted to know about the company and the area.

The on-site interviews: First I attended a presentation where Epic software was introduced. I then had a one-on-one session with a current PM/IC who talked to me specifically about what the position and answered my questions about it (this was not an interview.) Next I had a case study. They gave me and another candidate a case to read, and after what felt like only 10 minutes (but was probably longer than that) the interviewer came back into room to ask us questions about the case. She asked the same questions to both of us, and we switched off giving her our answers. I don't think the case questions were difficult; they just required some common sense and decisiveness. It somehow morphed into a full-blown behavioral interview, and she asked lots of "give me an example of a time that you....." questions. After the case study was over, I immediately went to another behavioral interview. This was non-stop behavioral questions for about half an hour and it was somewhat exhausting, especially since it was right after the case study. I highly recommend preparing for this by thinking of your major accomplishments and difficult situations at work/school/activities that you've tackled. Afterwards, I went to give my 10-minute presentation that I'd prepared. There were just a few Epic employees as my "audience" and they were very friendly. Make sure to pick a topic that you find enjoyable and comfortable to talk about. Have fun with it!
    After lunch we were given a partial tour of campus, and then I had my HR interview (last interview of the day.) This included a few more behavioral questions, and some questions about whether or not I'd be willing to re-locate, the salary I was expecting, etc.

I received a call one week later from my HR person with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What would each one of your references praise you for? What is something each one would say you could improve on?   Answer Question

I ultimately declined the offer because of location - I received an offer from a firm closer to where I live.

Project Manager Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Applied through college/university. They flew me out to Madison, Wisconsin, where they are headquartered. The day consisted of a few interviews and a tour of the Epic campus. The interviews were pretty intense. I was given an offer a week later and I accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

First round - brief phone interview - basic questions to get a feel for your interest/skills. Second round - flew out to Verona, WI - ended up interviewing and interacting with at least 7-8 different employees in different roles (not just role I was applying for) which was a good way to get a feel for the company. Everyone was extremely pleasant and eager to help even though I was only one of about 15 interviewees. Day was demanding and long but seemed to fly by as you are moved quickly to different areas of the building and different interviews.

Technical Services Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

It is a phone interview. The first 1/3 is about me and my resume. The next 1/3 is about TS and HR's experience at Epic. The last part is about me asking questions. HR really expects my questions, so it is important to have some interesting things about Epic in your mind.

Interview Questions
    • What factors are important in terms of choosing all your offers?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Applied onlineand received a phone interview request via email after two days. During the phone interview I was asked basic questions about my background and why I wanted to be a Software Dev at Epic. Asked to describe a "development project" in some detail.

Following phone interview I took the online assessment. The coding problems were typical of those in interview prep books. I was surprised to see 3 brain-teaser questions, like the 55cents in two coins problem.

Was not chosen to continue the process for Software Dev, but was instead invited to interview onsite for Business Intelligence Developer role.

Interview Questions
    • "Describe a software development project you completed?"   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through my college career fair, got a mail within a week for phone screening. It was a normal discussion. I am waiting to take the assessment test now

Project Manager Interview

I sent in a very brief application after speaking to a recruiter at a job fair. I didn't think anything would come of it because the application was extremely brief but they contacted me about five days after saying they were interested in having me complete an online assessment and phone interview.

The interview is mostly for you to familiarize yourself with what the position entails, the programming is some pretty tough stuff that starts out very simple and gets confusing quickly if you have no experience with the topic. They do teach you everything however so you don't need coding knowledge, but it would help guarantee accuracy.

I heard that the GPA requirement for them is a 3.3 but they contacted me despite the fact that my GPA is a little lower. I'm also not a programmer so I think it might actually help if you have a more diverse skill set for the role of project manager: the person who I talked to told me that she didn't have any technical knowledge either when she applied.

I'm still waiting for a response back but I feel fairly optimistic. The test took about two hours for me and it was proctored by a company that watched me via webcam. It was very exhausting though, but I guess that's relative and I'm sure it would be a breeze for certain people.

Quality Assurance Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

I was interviewed via phone and then asked to take two assessments. One of the assessments was general kind of reading comprehension etc and the second assessment was programming (very hard for someone who does not have a software background) Then I was invited to an in person interview

Interview Questions
    • They asked a lot of behavioral/personality based questions. There was also a case study on how one might handle a list of tasks with varying levels of priority.   Answer Question

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

I initially applied for TS and had a phone interview with a current employee in TS -- just going over your resume and getting a better feel for you as an applicant; very informal. I then took the online assessment, which I thought I did half-way decent on. Within a week I received an email saying that they were moving forward with applicants for the TS role, but said they thought I'd be a good fit for Quality Assurance. So I put in an application for quality assurance and within a week or two received an email saying that I'd been invited on campus for an interview and that they'd like me to hear about Project Manager -- no other assessment or phone interview was required before receiving this email. A travel agency booked all my travel arrangements and I signed up to have dinner with an Epic employee the night before the interview. However my flight was delayed in Chicago coming into Madison so I ended up missing dinner...The day of the interview was very relaxed. I was applying for both QA and PM on the same day, and my interview itinerary split times between meeting with QA and PM workers. First thing was an overview of the company and a brief introduction to the software. This was followed by a position overview with a current PM -- a brief description of the position and their day-to-day responsibilities. After lunch I gave my 10 minute presentation to a three Epic employees. Be sure to choose a topic that you're naturally interested and knowledgeable in. Following a quick 10-minute case study with a PM (time-management/client interaction based) I had a quick 15-minute wrap up interview with an HR employee. Overall the day was fairly informal, and feel free to dress casually as you won't be judged on your appearance.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation -- what I listed as my expected salary is what I was offered.

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview

Throughout the process, HR was very good at informing me of my status in a timely matter. I submitted my resume online for project management and heard back in a few days. They set up a phone interview which was pretty standard where we talked about my background, Epic, the positions, and I was able to ask a few questions.

I took the skills test a few days later and, because I'm from the area, was able to interview on site within the week. Epic flies in applicants from out of town and puts them up in downtown hotels. I drove to the interview where we had breakfast and learned about the software. Throughout the day, you speak one-on-one with many employees and in small groups. There are two more formal interviews, a case study, and a presentation throughout the day. Epic even provides a free lunch-- we even splurged on gelato!

I heard back from my HR rep a week later.