Epic Systems Corporation

Updated Nov 18, 2014
1,752 Interview Reviews

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in November 2014.

There will be a screening interview in which recruiter will ask about basic information and will question on your project followed by one technical question. the call will last for 40-45 min. Online assessment has to be completed within few days after the screening interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied online – interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in November 2014.

Applied online. Swift response requesting a telephone interview. Recruiter asked me to go over my resume/background. They asked why I chose my major, why I wanted to work for epic and where I saw myself in five years. Then they asked if I had questions. I asked this person what the greatest challenge was facing this role. They responded that there are no room for errors. I also asked what they liked best about working for epic. They said they liked the people they worked with. I was asked to complete an online proctored non technical skills assessment. This took about an hour and half. There was a timed speed section, grammar/logic, math, and a programming section. Independently of the skills section is a Rembrandt personality profile that must be completed online as well. After these were completed I was told I would hear back within 2 weeks. One week later I received an email from a recruiter stating they were considering other candidates.

Interview Questions
    • The skills assessment was full of brain teasers. Many memorable examples are already listed on glass door.   Answer Question

Technical Services Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in October 2014.

Applied online with recruiter at career fair and received a request for a phone interview about 3 weeks later. Phone interview was short and straightforward with basic questions about my background, where I see myself in 5 years, and questions about how you work in a team. Follow up took about 10 days where I was asked to schedule on site interview. Upon scheduling the interview, I was asked to take a personality survey. The onsite interview lasted all day and included lunch, a long tour, several sit down portions, as well as a coding test which took my roughly 2.5 hours.

Interview Questions
    • Coding test is difficult but you are allowed to use any syntax/language including pseudocode. They just want to see how you approach and work through a problem.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

It is a long process. Basically, a phone interview generally talking about epic and talking about one of your projects. Secondly, a code interview using ProctolU. That part I think is very fun and on the fourth part of the exam, they provide some interesting algorithm questions which is not very hard. You can choose any language you want to write the code. Actually, I do not think my Java code can actually run, but I express my general idea. The third part is the on-site interview, which is pretty good and expect for introducing epic, it contains two common interview. Nothing special and great price for great food.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in October 2014.

I applied through the university career fair. I got a call in two weeks asking for a telephonic interview. It was mostly behavioral. There was an online assessment following the interview which had 4 sections namely programming, mathematics, speed test and an imaginary programming language.

Technical Services Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in November 2014.

I first had a phone interview that was pretty simple--he asked me to verify my resume and talk about some previous projects I'd worked on. There was an online assessment, and then they flew me to Wisconsin for an on-site interview that consisted of campus tours and case-studies.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to talk about how you would handle certain situations.   Answer Question

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Phone Interview was easy and basic. However, instead of an HR rep, it was someone who had the position I was applying for. He was NOT helpful in the slightest, all of my questions went unanswered because he wasn't "privy" to any HR information. They also focus a lot on GPA. The tests that they give you were unnecessarily difficult, and very creepily proctored. They stopped my test multiple times because my dog was making noise and they wanted to be sure no one was in the room helping me cheat. Seriously though, those tests were INSANELY stressful. Binary, and software coding questions even though I was not applying for nor have I had ANY experience in software engineering. Very intense, very stressful.

Interview Questions
    • If an apple is 40 cents and a orange is 60 cents and a banana is 80 cents, how much would a pear cost?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in October 2014.

I applied online through their careers portal. I was contacted by their recruiter the next day itself and was scheduled an interview with one of their software developers. In the mean time they also asked me to give their candidate evaluation test. The first interview was just fine with a mix of HR and technical questions. Except the programming questions the technical test was very easy. You can go through the list of questions on career cup and just do fine in the test.
    I got a call from the recruiter that I have been selected for the on-site interviews. The pay for the accommodation, cab fares, flights and dinners with their employees. There were just two on-site technical interviews. One was a case study on some technical problem that they might have faced or are facing. The second interview was discussion of any one project done in school. My first interview went very well as the interviewer was very friendly and we were kind of finding the solution together. The second interviewer was rude. He picked up his cellphone once during the interview. Also, while discussing the project he was mocking me for my solution instead of asking questions.
    Then at the end there was a discussion with my interviewer regarding salary that I would want and relocation etc. It was a good interview process except that the second on-site interview went bad for me. I have heard that they pay really well.

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview

The first step is taking online assesements. There is one that is purely behavioral and the other is divided into four parts. One tests speed, another English, Math skills and finally one tests how quickly you learn new concepts. Then there is a phone interview that is pretty easy. They just ask some behavioral questions.
    The second interview is in person and at the company headquarters. That is all day. You go through different interviews with different people. Have to answer how you would solve problems in a specific case study and have to give a ten minute presentation on a topic of your choice.

Software Developer and Technical Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

I originally applied online for several positions on a Saturday. I heard back by Wednesday that I had been selected to receive a phone screen to go over the technical services (TS) position and my relevant skills/experience. I was contacted a couple of days later and had a 30-45 minute conversation with a current TS employee. The discussion was geared mainly towards my resume and experiences. I was asked a couple of questions about how I handled situations in the past but nothing technical.

A week later I received an email saying that I was selected to move on in the process and was asked to take an online assessment. If you read the other reviews you can find more information about it including questions so I won't go too much into that. I will say, however, the exam consists of a comprehension assesment (you are given a programming language with its semantics and asked to answer a variety of questions related to it), a math section, a speed section, and everyone's favorite a programming section. The programming section is not very difficult, but you need to make sure your logic is sound, that's what they care about. Also read the questions carefully before you start because the hardest part is probably just understanding the question.

About another week later I was contacted and asked to come out to Madison/Verona for an in person interview. I was also told I would be interviewing for a software development role, it seems it is quite common for people to be brought in for multiple positions based on the conversations I had with other people that were there. It was easy to schedule and they were very helpful and booked everything. I flew out a week and a half later and had my interview on a Friday (about 5 weeks after I initially applied). The night before the interview a staff member took me and a group of others out for dinner in Madison which was a lot of fun, and I would recommend it to anyone coming out for an interview. I don't know if they value people higher who go out but you get a free dinner and a chance to socialize!

Epic sent a cab to pick me and a couple other interviewees up from the hotel around 7:30 am, and we were driven to Epic (it snowed lightly overnight in October!). The campus when you first get there is absolutely amazing, and I highly recommend staying after the interview if you have time to walk around. Ok back to the process...

When we got there we were signed in and then we waited in the lobby until an HR rep came down to grab our group. We had a small breakfast and an introduction to Epic's software with a quick demo of various applications. Afterwards we were split up into smaller groups and were "handed" off to employees from the teams we were interviewing for. (My day was a little less linear since I was there for two positions). From 9 until 12 we were continually passed on and talked to a different employee. I personally had two general discussions with a software developer and a TS employee. They both generally seemed happy to be working at Epic and they answered every question directly and honestly. There were also two case studies, one for TS and one for software development. The TS one was a Monday morning scenario where you had to strategize how you would handle your early week workload based on some information provided in the scenario. The development case study was more free form where you were asked to design an application for a doctor and modifications were made throughout the case study to reflect enhancements or customer needs.

After the morning interviews we had lunch and then a tour of part of the campus (it is too big to tour in 45 minutes, and as I said before is very cool if you're a little nerdy). The day concluded with an HR interview and another online quiz. Honestly the HR part and the TS case study were the only parts that truly felt like an interview. Every other part felt more like a tour of the company and a Q/A session about Epic. It was super relaxed and everyone was really nice and eager to help and answer any questions. If you make it to the in person interview just be yourself and ask a lot of questions!

Interview Questions
    • The TS case study was difficult because every time you answer they add another detail that sort of makes your choice seem like an inconsiderate or mean move.   View Answer
    I have not formally accepted yet and I will update when I finalize the process.