Epic Systems Corporation Interview Questions & Reviews

2.9

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Madison, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Straightforward and simple - I started a month after my initial application. It was a lovely interview - even with weather delays to my flight, they went out of their way to take care of me.

Interview Questions
    • All were straightforward, but required adaptability and focus.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Verona, WI
    Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in August 2014.

After receiving an employee referral I submitted my resume, transcript, and personal information I was contacted the following Monday by Epic HR to let me know my application had been received. About a day later I received another email saying that I would be receiving information on scheduling a behavioral assessment, skills exam, a phone interview. That week I completed the behavioral assessment (30 min) and skills exam (2 hrs). The phone interview was conducted that Friday with a current Epic PM. I was told I would be contacted within two weeks with further instructions. After one week I received and email saying they were pursuing other people for the position. While I didn't receive an offer I appreciated the expedited interview process and prompt responses.

Interview Questions
    • "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?"
      "What do you think makes a good manager?"
        Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

First round is a HR will set up a phone interview to have a basic conversation with you about your background and why you chose to apply for the position.
    After this, you will be required to participate a online test including a large amount of math/logic/programming questions and brain teasers.
    Finally you will be offered a on-site interview.

Corporate Recruiter Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

HR Response Time: 3 days from initial application.

Phone Interview: HR gave me a week-long period in which to schedule the interview. The interviewer asked very basic questions (Why Epic; Tell me about X item on your resume; etc.). She also asked if I had taken time off between high school and college. This could be an unusual question for people who have been in the workforce for a substantial amount of time so this is just a heads-up. The interviewer told me that I passed the interview and will be continuing to the skills assessment/personality test at the end of the interview.

Skills Assessment: I received the email to schedule the exam the next day. They ask that you schedule the exam within 24 hours of the initial email and complete the exam within a week. You cannot really study for the test, but doing some GRE/SAT warm ups would not hurt. There is a section about programming on the test for every position. You will not escape this section even if the position has nothing to do with the actual software.

Personality Test: You can try to game it if you want to but be cautious. There are enough questions that any discrepancies will probably show up.

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Initial phone screen was a basic walk-through of my resume, with particular emphasis on my thoughts about how EHR and Epic fit into the wider healthcare spectrum. Special attention seemed to be paid to roles which emphasized direct client interaction. Afterwards, the next round is entirely comprised of a skills assessment and behavioral questionnaires.

Integration Engineer/Technical Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Madison, WI
    Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in April 2014.

A person from HR emailed me shortly after I applied online and scheduled a phone interview for the next week. I ended up not continuing with the process even though they had contacted me again because they wanted me for a different position that I was not interested in. The interviewer talked a lot about the area and the company culture and overall the interview was pretty straight forward.

Interview Questions
    • What specifically about the healthcare industry are you most interested in?   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in July 2014.

Started with a very brief phone interview and then completed a series of online testing and writing samples. Got invited to come for an on-site interview and they paid for all expenses. Overall it was very well-run and a positive experience. The campus is really cool and the people are all very nice. Do dress casually.

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in July 2014.

I first submitted an application online which just asked for some general information, resume, and an unofficial transcript from your university. GPA is a really important component for them so keep that in mind (but I don't think it will necessarily make or break the entire process). I also had a friend of mine who currently works at Epic put in a referral for me to help out.

Within a few days, they contacted me to set up a phone interview which was really basic and nothing very intense. Basically asked how you heard about Epic, why you want to work there, and then the person talked about the position and what it's like. At the end of it, there was time for questions and my interviewer asked if I had any other offers or things on the table. I told them about my other job offer (which I think, in the end, put some pressure on them to hurry up the process).

For my situation, they got back to me within a week to take the skills assessment test. This. Was. Challening. I am not a math/logic/programmer by any means but I tried my best. It was a series of algebraic, word, logic, and grammar problems. They also have a programming section which EVERY Epic employee is required to take (regardless of the position you are applying for). Just have a calculator and scratch paper at the ready. There was also a personality test thing that you had to take so that they can gauge what kind of person you are and if you would be a good fit for the company.

A few days after submitting the tests, they emailed me to set up an on-site interview. I lived close enough to their campus to drive but they did put me up in a hotel for the night before and paid for dinner (yay!).

The on-site interview is like a six-hour sprint with breaks in between each of your "events". You'll be in a small-ish group of others who are also interviewing for positions at Epic (some for the same spot, others for different ones) at the start and then it seems like you get combined with another group or two. The day began at 8:30am with an overview of the software, then I went off to do my 10 minute presentation in front of my HR recruiter and two other random employees (not that challenging if you like public speaking, performance).

Directly after my presentation, I had a sit-down interview with my HR recruiter. First she went over basic information, why you want to work at Epic, then looked at your references and asked what strength and weakness each of those references would say about you. Then she asked a bunch of situational and behavioral questions (mainly about group work) and then some other characteristic questions.

After the HR recruiter interview, there was a case study which was a one-sided situation of implementing the software at a new location with a few problems arising as a result. You pretend like you're an actual PM and prioritize the problems and provide some possible solutions. This was done in a small office with another one of my "group members". After filling out the sheet, a PM comes in and asks you situational questions (i.e. If this were to happen, what would you do? Why?)

Once I completed the case study, I had the opportunity to sit down with a current PM/IC and hear what a typical work day and week is like, challenges they encountered, travel expectations, etc. This is a great time to ask a bunch of questions and pick their brain.

Then came lunch with an Epic employee and a tour by another Epic employee (which was pretty tasty and neat!)

My day was finally winding down but then I had a final interview with an actual PM. He also asked about situational and behavioral type questions (again, highly focused on group work). If you haven't noticed this about Epic before, it's a highly group-oriented company. From my understanding, you will be working with the SAME close-knit project team for a very long time so they want to gauge what kind of person you are and if you can handle working with different personality types.

My day finally ended with a touch-base conversation with my HR recruiter. She went over basic things, benefits, asked about your expected salary, and if you had other offers on the table. Don't give out too many details about your other offer(s), as you can use it as leverage in the interview process. It worked to my advantage because I told Epic I needed to notify the other company within the next week.

I had interviewed on a Wednesday and they called me the following Monday, although from reading other experiences, don't expect this fast of a turn-around time for yours (unless if you also have other offers that you can leverage to your advantage!)

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Madison, WI
    Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in June 2014.

tl;dr Very unprofessional, spoke to 5 different recruiters throughout the process, online skill assessment is annoying

Went to a university career fair and wasn't too interested in the company at the time. A few months later a recruiter contacted me via e-mail and asked if I was interested in applying. After the application there was a non-technical interview where I reviewed my resume with a another recruiter. The following day they sent me the 'online assessment', which was incredibly difficult to set up (I had an online proctor, had to take everything off my desk, pan around my room 4 times, let them take over my pc to shut down background processes, install the proctor chat client, and the set up took about 90 minutes). On top of that, the assessment was very insulting as it included very, very, basic math and ridiculous brain teasers (I was very upset to see those on the assessment). It took about 3 (+90 mins of set up) hours to complete and I was aggravated by the entire thing. After the assessment, I had to take a personality test that was very contrived and poor. The following week yet another recruiter contacted me to say that they received my results and would get back to me in a one or two weeks. Two weeks went by and I hadn't heard anything so I asked the recruiter for an update.... no response, three weeks... no response, FOUR WEEKS... no response. During this period I was contacted by yet ANOTHER RECRUITER asking if I was interested in applying even though I was already a few weeks into the process (I told her that I was already in contact with another recruiter) and it made the impression that they were unorganized. The following week (almost 5 weeks from when she said "a week or two") I am contacted by yet another recruiter telling me I would not receive an offer. I asked for feedback but typically tech companies don't do that (unfortunately) and I asked for the score on my assessment but I doubt that I will ever hear from them again.

It was difficult for me not to use vulgar language above but the entire process was THE WORST INTERVIEW EXPERIENCE I've had. To give this statement some weight, I've had about a dozen interviews in the last year or so (not many but this one really stood out),

Software Developer Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in June 2014.

First I got an email which tell me my background is a fit for their software developer position, and asked me to apply online. Then I applied online, after that was a phone interview, asking about the background and 2 easy technical questions. After the phone interview, they sent me an online assessment.