Epic Systems Corporation Interview Questions

2,260 Interview Reviews

2.9

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Madison, WI) in June 2015.

Interview

Very disappointed.....
    I will just share my on site interview experience. The procedure to reach the on site interview is similar to what other people have mentioned. I was interviewed for software Developer position at Madison last week. Immediately after one day, I got a phone call where my recruiter said that they were moving forward with other candidates. I am still confused what actually went wrong from my side.

There were two dinners with Epic developer as hosts during this process. The hosts were really nice persons. There were couple of other candidates along with me interviewing for same position. In whole group, I was the only non-American. Most of the time they were talking about mostly American things- the sports, the lifestyle, etc. I hardly understood what they were talking. Most of the time, I was just putting fake smile on my face. I just request to the future hosts - please talk about something which everyone in the group can understand. My another bad luck - I had never gone to such a restaurant before. I guessed and ordered the food. I couldn't eat even half of it. The host saw it and seemed very unhappy about it. I don't know if the discussions with dinner hosts count in the hiring decision.

On the D-day, there were presentations about the tools Epic has developed. Also a lunch session with a developer. These discussions went really well. I asked few questions, they promptly answered. There were three main interviews.

The technical presentation interview was very bad experience. The interviewer did not seem to be interested in the interview. Over the 45 minutes, he didn't even smile once. I was giving presentation about my favorite project and was very enthusiastic about it. But the interviewer wasn't just interested. He looked bit tensed since the beginning and carried the same expression throughout the interview. . He asked couple of simple questions - just for the sake of formality. I was thinking what should I do so that he would be happy about my interview. A request to Epic - if someone is not interested in conducting the interview, please don't force them.

Even when the the second technical interview (case study) started, I was still thinking about the previous interview. I thought I was losing my opportunity, but I somehow recovered. This guy was a nice one, very friendly. We discussed about a problem and I had to write the code. This interview went fine. Actually towards the end he said that he was expecting a different approach to the code than mine, but overall I convinced him about my overall logic and procedure.

The HR interview went really well. Jeff was very friendly. After general discussion (Madison city, the interview experience, desired compensation, etc.), he asked me where could Epic improve. I mentioned few things and he seemed very happy.

Overall, all the people (except the first technical interviewer) were nice. For future candidates, I will just say - Apart from technical preparation, please also pray for luck to be on your side. If your interviewer is not interested in the interview, you can't just do anything.
    I was really interested in working at Epic. I am still not sure what exactly was the reason for my rejection.

Interview Questions

• Technical Project presentation, Writing code for a simple case study   Answer Question

Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview

Submitted an application and was asked to submit a timed writing sample as well as a basic phone interview. Then came the skills assessment test which contained two math sections (one timed), a programming section (somewhat difficult with no programming experience at all), and a verbal reasoning section. I didn't get offered a position as a technical writer but they placed me in another position.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview

I met an Epic recruiter at my university's career fair and gave her my resume. A few days later, I received an email saying that they wanted to set up a phone interview.

The phone interview was pretty straightforward - I was asked to explain my background, my interest in Epic, answer the ole "where do you see yourself in 5 years" question, and given plenty of opportunity to ask questions about the job and Epic in general. I had prepared quite thoroughly by researching Epic and developing a list of back-up questions to ask, so my interviewer and I talked for a long time. I'd recommend also asking questions throughout the interview if you think of them, so they know that you're actually listening while they're talking and can engage them in conversation, not just ask prepared questions.

About a week later I took the infamous Epic skills test.The math section is mainly composed of word problems/tricky "math riddles". There is a writing section which asks you to correct grammar mistakes (fairly easy, this is something you could study for), a logic section (analogies and puzzles - take your TIME to think through the puzzles and don't panic!) and a programming section where they teach you some basic concepts of a language and you answer questions based on their mini-lessons/examples. My understanding is that if you have programming experience, the section should be a breeze. I have zero programming experience, and the questions got increasingly more difficult, so by the end I was really struggling to come up with answers.... but I guess I did well enough to pass.

A few days after I took my skills test, I received an email saying that they wanted to bring me in for the on-site (final round) interviews. They flew me into Madison and I had dinner with a couple of Epic employees along with 4 or 5 other job candidates the night before my interview. This was a fun, informal time to get to know some people from Epic and ask them pretty much anything we wanted to know about the company and the area.

The on-site interviews: First I attended a presentation where Epic software was introduced. I then had a one-on-one session with a current PM/IC who talked to me specifically about what the position and answered my questions about it (this was not an interview.) Next I had a case study. They gave me and another candidate a case to read, and after what felt like only 10 minutes (but was probably longer than that) the interviewer came back into room to ask us questions about the case. She asked the same questions to both of us, and we switched off giving her our answers. I don't think the case questions were difficult; they just required some common sense and decisiveness. It somehow morphed into a full-blown behavioral interview, and she asked lots of "give me an example of a time that you....." questions. After the case study was over, I immediately went to another behavioral interview. This was non-stop behavioral questions for about half an hour and it was somewhat exhausting, especially since it was right after the case study. I highly recommend preparing for this by thinking of your major accomplishments and difficult situations at work/school/activities that you've tackled. Afterwards, I went to give my 10-minute presentation that I'd prepared. There were just a few Epic employees as my "audience" and they were very friendly. Make sure to pick a topic that you find enjoyable and comfortable to talk about. Have fun with it!
    After lunch we were given a partial tour of campus, and then I had my HR interview (last interview of the day.) This included a few more behavioral questions, and some questions about whether or not I'd be willing to re-locate, the salary I was expecting, etc.

I received a call one week later from my HR person with an offer.

Interview Questions

• What would each one of your references praise you for? What is something each one would say you could improve on?   Answer Question

I ultimately declined the offer because of location - I received an offer from a firm closer to where I live.

Technical Services Problem-Solver Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview

Three part interview:
    Phone Interview
    Online Skills Assessment
    On-site interview

I have only completed the first two steps of the interview process and am in the middle of scheduling my on-site interview. The first two steps of the process were pretty straightforward, although the online skills assessment is time consuming and demanding.

Interview Questions

• A lot of logic puzzles and speed math questions were asked in the skills assessment portion. The phone interview was very straightforward and I really enjoyed talking to them. You talk with a current employee of the position you are interviewing for, not a recruiter, so you get real answers to your questions, which I really appreciated.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Madison, WI).

Interview

Spoke with a recruiter at a career fair. At the time, I had never heard of them. Received a call about 2 weeks later for an initial screen. The screen pretty much covered my background, experience, etc. At the end of the interview I was given a technical question that required a little problem solving skills. Afterwards, I was informed that I'd be moving on to take the Epic Skills Assessment. The exam lasted about 3 and half hours. I then received an email about 3 weeks later saying that I wasn't moving on.

Interview Questions

• The assessment was broken down into multiple parts.
      1. Basic logic questions and simple math. Complete as many as you could in 2 minutes.
      2. More complicated general math and logic questions.
      3. Learning a new programming language and applying those rules to answer syntax questions.
      4. Programming skills. 4 questions, each increasing in difficulty as you went along. Last question asked for an implementation of a "jumpers" game, a modified version of checkers.

Answer Question

Technical Services Interview

Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Verona, WI) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online and whole interview process took about 4 weeks. After a phone interview, an online skill assessment test, and a personality test, I was flown out to Verona for a day.

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Verona, WI) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied through my university and received an email to do a phone interview after I sent them my college transcripts. I had to leave the country last minute so I missed the first phone call and had to reschedule. I talked to a technical writer for the first phone interview 3 weeks after applying. I was then sent a writing prompt to complete which took 2 full hours. It wasn't too hard though

I passed that and was sent an email to schedule a proctored assessment. The programming was the hardest part by far - the other sections took me less than an hour to complete. I also had to complete a Rembrandt personality exam and am waiting to hear back.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in June 2015.

Interview

Got an email from the HR after applying online. The first telephonic interview consisted of general questions about my interests, what epic does and a small design question. This was followed by the online assessment that lasted for a few hours. I cannot give in to the details but the questions were standard programming questions. If you are comfortable with the kind of questions of Careercup and good at one single programming language, you should do fine. The online proctoring was a little weird.
    Waiting to hear about the result.

Interview Questions

• What are you expecting from epic that you haven't got so far in your professional career   Answer Question

Software Dev Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Madison, WI) in June 2015.

Interview

the interview process was simple and cool. it takes 30 days. I am still waiting for the call.Please go through the career cup website and do all the programs and you can crack.Trust God...Everything will be fine.

Technical Services Problem-Solver Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Madison, WI) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online and got an email the next day to schedule a phone interview.
    Phone interview was very simple and with someone who is doing the job you're interviewing for.
    Next, online test with four sections as everyone has said.
    Two weeks later got invited to interview in WI. On-site interview is a lot of fun. If you make it this far, they are really looking to see if you would like working at Epic and if you would be a good fit.
    Still waiting to hear back.

Everyone was very responsive and friendly.