Epic Systems Corporation Interview Questions

Updated Aug 2, 2015
2,325 Interview Reviews

2.9

Developer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview

Had an interview call that lasted about 45 minutes. Then a test online that required basic math. From there they talked about what they do as well as the course that they will take you through. Asked questions about their transition from developer to instructor

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Madison, WI) in June 2015.

Interview

Very disappointed..... I will just share my on site interview experience. The procedure to reach the on site interview is similar to what other people have mentioned. I was interviewed for software Developer position at Madison last week. Immediately after one day, I got a phone call where my recruiter said that they were moving forward with other candidates. I am still confused what actually went wrong from my side. There were two dinners with Epic developer as hosts during this process. The hosts were really nice persons. There were couple of other candidates along with me interviewing for same position. In whole group, I was the only non-American. Most of the time they were talking about mostly American things- the sports, the lifestyle, etc. I hardly understood what they were talking. Most of the time, I was just putting fake smile on my face. I just request to the future hosts - please talk about something which everyone in the group can understand. My another bad luck - I had never gone to such a restaurant before. I guessed and ordered the food. I couldn't eat even half of it. The host saw it and seemed very unhappy about it. I don't know if the discussions with dinner hosts count in the hiring decision. On the D-day, there were presentations about the tools Epic has developed. Also a lunch session with a developer. These discussions went really well. I asked few questions, they promptly answered. There were three main interviews. The technical presentation interview was very bad experience. The interviewer did not seem to be interested in the interview. Over the 45 minutes, he didn't even smile once. I was giving presentation about my favorite project and was very enthusiastic about it. But the interviewer wasn't just interested. He looked bit tensed since the beginning and carried the same expression throughout the interview. . He asked couple of simple questions - just for the sake of formality. I was thinking what should I do so that he would be happy about my interview. A request to Epic - if someone is not interested in conducting the interview, please don't force them. Even when the the second technical interview (case study) started, I was still thinking about the previous interview. I thought I was losing my opportunity, but I somehow recovered. This guy was a nice one, very friendly. We discussed about a problem and I had to write the code. This interview went fine. Actually towards the end he said that he was expecting a different approach to the code than mine, but overall I convinced him about my overall logic and procedure. The HR interview went really well. Jeff was very friendly. After general discussion (Madison city, the interview experience, desired compensation, etc.), he asked me where could Epic improve. I mentioned few things and he seemed very happy. Overall, all the people (except the first technical interviewer) were nice. For future candidates, I will just say - Apart from technical preparation, please also pray for luck to be on your side. If your interviewer is not interested in the interview, you can't just do anything. I was really interested in working at Epic. I am still not sure what exactly was the reason for my rejection.

Interview Questions

• Technical Project presentation, Writing code for a simple case study   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview

Had a phone interview initially which lasted for 20 mins. Most of the ques are on my resume and then an online assessment exam which will be proctored. The exam consists of new programming language and some programs will be asked which we have to code. Time limit is not there but they will check your time taken. Waiting for result.

Interview Questions

• They asked to explain about any project on my resume which i am comfortable with.   1 Answer

Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview

Submitted an application and was asked to submit a timed writing sample as well as a basic phone interview. Then came the skills assessment test which contained two math sections (one timed), a programming section (somewhat difficult with no programming experience at all), and a verbal reasoning section. I didn't get offered a position as a technical writer but they placed me in another position.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in June 2015.

Interview

First Round: A recruiter schedules a telephonic interview with one of the team members. Its a 30 minutes interview with focus on resume and work experience. I was given a scenario and had to say which data structure should be used and why. Some technical algorithm, data structure questions. Second Round: Coding Assessment Unlike others I had a 2 section test. First section was technical learning which had a new language and 20 questions based on it. Second section was programming where I had 4 questions. (Questions are given below) Before the test I had asked if there is a time limit and I was told no, but when I was doing my last question I got a pop up window saying, "you have last 15 minutes before this test ends". That was strange and surprising. I'm still waiting on the result of the test.

Interview Questions

• 1) Form number triangle Given 5 -3 7 8 output should be 5 -3 7 8 2 4 15 6 19 25 2) SMS problem 3) A company wants to give its employees a valid phone number. Find all possible numbers given conditions; - no two numbers are consecutive ie 0232 is valid but 0223 is not - if there is a 4 in the number then the first digit should also be 4 - there are 3 excluded numbers which shouldn't be in the result but the company has not yet decided which these numbers are going to be 4) Snake sequence   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Madison, WI).

Interview

Spoke with a recruiter at a career fair. At the time, I had never heard of them. Received a call about 2 weeks later for an initial screen. The screen pretty much covered my background, experience, etc. At the end of the interview I was given a technical question that required a little problem solving skills. Afterwards, I was informed that I'd be moving on to take the Epic Skills Assessment. The exam lasted about 3 and half hours. I then received an email about 3 weeks later saying that I wasn't moving on.

Interview Questions

• The assessment was broken down into multiple parts. 1. Basic logic questions and simple math. Complete as many as you could in 2 minutes. 2. More complicated general math and logic questions. 3. Learning a new programming language and applying those rules to answer syntax questions. 4. Programming skills. 4 questions, each increasing in difficulty as you went along. Last question asked for an implementation of a "jumpers" game, a modified version of checkers.   Answer Question

Technical Services Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Atlanta, GA) in June 2015.

Interview

So far, I had the phone interview with an employee of the same position. It was really relaxed and the conversation took a total of about 45 minutes of basic HR questions and resume overview. The next day, I was asked to take a skills assessments which I scheduled for a week later. Pretty standard and not much you can do to prepare.

Quality Assurance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Verona, WI) in June 2015.

Interview

First Step: Personality Test - the standard "choose which phrase best describes you" model. Takes about 20 minutes to complete. It's not easy to choose the answers you think they will like the most, so the best way to complete this is to just answer honestly. Second Step: Phone Screen - conversation about your background as listed on your resume. Takes about 30 minutes (longer if you want to ask a lot of questions). This was a very casual conversation with a member of the Quality Assurance team (not HR) where we talked a bit about what I enjoy and about life living in Madison and working at Epic. Third Step: Skills Assessment - a proctored exam where you answer programming questions, word problems, and data analysis questions. Very similar to other standardized exams like the SAT. Takes about 3 hours or less to complete. There is no need to study for this exam either. It's just testing skills you already know. You do not have to understand programming in order to figure out the programming questions. Fourth Step: Dinner with Epic Employee (optional) - Once invited to fly out to Madison (for free), you will have the option to have dinner with an Epic employee the night before your interview. You meet the employee for dinner along with a few other candidates who may or may not be applying to your position (even if the other candidate is applying for the same position, this does not mean that you're competing with them for a single job). I was in a group with 3 other candidates for my dinner. Dress casually (jeans are absolutely acceptable...shorts and sandals are too). You have the opportunity to ask as many questions as you can/want during the dinner. Fifth Step: Interviews at Epic - Dress causally for the interview (a nice pair of dark jeans and a blouse for women, khakis and a polo for men). I began my day of interviews at 9:45am and ended around 2pm. You can get breakfast beforehand at the hotel (for free) or at Epic (also free). You catch a taxi either alone or with another candidate and it takes about 40 minutes to get from the hotel to Epic. The day starts off with a small group meeting (with 5-7 other candidates from various positions) that includes a software demonstration and Q&A. You are being analyzed by every employee you come in contact with, so be sure to ask good questions and be attentive and polite to everyone. Then you talk with an employee that works in Quality Assurance (I was with two other candidates for the QA position). She/he explains the position and what it includes and then you analyze an object (in my case, a coffee cup) and come up with questions on how you could make sure the quality of the object is okay (i.e. Is it safe to drink from the coffee cup? Will the liquid pour our onto your lap if you try to drink from it?). You and the other candidates just have to collaborate and build off each other with your questions. You also have time to ask the QA employee questions about the position and what it entails. After that, you have lunch at the dining hall with another QA employee. This is a time to have a group conversation with the employee and other QA candidates. We talked about literature and environmental concerns during my lunch. This is a bit like the dinner the night before. I was with 3 other QA candidates for lunch. Next is the tour of the campus. This part is quite fun and you just have to listen as you go through the different parts of the campus. Make sure you think of your favorite part of the tour as your HR interviewer might ask you about the tour. You have to do a bit of walking, so wear comfortable shoes (I would not recommend high heels unless they are comfortable for you). You go with the same group that you have lunch with, but the QA person leaves you and an HR person leads the tour. When the tour is finished, you'll be lead to a one on one interview with another QA employee. You will be asked to read a sheet with a list of 5 or so different situations (listening to a voicemail, answering an email, talking with your team leader). You will have about 5 minutes to read this (alone) and then come up with a plan of action for getting these situations/tasks/issues solved. I would recommend using the scratch sheet of paper to organize your thoughts. The QA employee will come back into the room and she/he will ask you different questions about your plan. You might also talk a bit about your previous experience and how you would handle different situations at work. Finally, you have your exit interview with your HR representative. He/she will ask you questions about your background, your references, and how you would handle yourself as both a team leader and a team member (see questions below). Be sure to know a strength and a weakness that each of your references would attribute to you. After you finish, you take a taxi back to the airport (either alone or with other candidates) or you can spend time exploring campus.

Interview Questions

• Would you say you are a person that talks too much and listens too little or vice versa?   1 Answer
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer
    • On a scale of 1-10 how assertive are you?   1 Answer
    • If you are a project group member and you believe the project should be taken one way and the team leader is taking it in a different direction, what do you do?   1 Answer
    • What would you do if you want to take an action but your team disagrees with you?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in June 2015.

Interview

The process was fairly straightforward. I was referred by someone who works there, applied, and heard from HR shortly thereafter. I scheduled a short phone interview with someone in the position, which consisted of easy questions like how much are you willing to travel, why this position, etc. I then took their online exams and personality assessments. For the most part I thought they were okay, but the programming section was difficult for me (no programming background). I must not have done well, because they emailed me after receiving the results saying they were pursuing other candidates. Fairly frustrating because my phone interview was great and the young lady I spoke to liked me enough to say she would gladly recruit me to her team once I got there. I would recommend going fairly quickly through the tests. They are not "timed" but there is a generous time limit. I took a lot of it and maybe that was my downfall. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Why this position? How much are you willing to travel?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview

I met an Epic recruiter at my university's career fair and gave her my resume. A few days later, I received an email saying that they wanted to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty straightforward - I was asked to explain my background, my interest in Epic, answer the ole "where do you see yourself in 5 years" question, and given plenty of opportunity to ask questions about the job and Epic in general. I had prepared quite thoroughly by researching Epic and developing a list of back-up questions to ask, so my interviewer and I talked for a long time. I'd recommend also asking questions throughout the interview if you think of them, so they know that you're actually listening while they're talking and can engage them in conversation, not just ask prepared questions. About a week later I took the infamous Epic skills test.The math section is mainly composed of word problems/tricky "math riddles". There is a writing section which asks you to correct grammar mistakes (fairly easy, this is something you could study for), a logic section (analogies and puzzles - take your TIME to think through the puzzles and don't panic!) and a programming section where they teach you some basic concepts of a language and you answer questions based on their mini-lessons/examples. My understanding is that if you have programming experience, the section should be a breeze. I have zero programming experience, and the questions got increasingly more difficult, so by the end I was really struggling to come up with answers.... but I guess I did well enough to pass. A few days after I took my skills test, I received an email saying that they wanted to bring me in for the on-site (final round) interviews. They flew me into Madison and I had dinner with a couple of Epic employees along with 4 or 5 other job candidates the night before my interview. This was a fun, informal time to get to know some people from Epic and ask them pretty much anything we wanted to know about the company and the area. The on-site interviews: First I attended a presentation where Epic software was introduced. I then had a one-on-one session with a current PM/IC who talked to me specifically about what the position and answered my questions about it (this was not an interview.) Next I had a case study. They gave me and another candidate a case to read, and after what felt like only 10 minutes (but was probably longer than that) the interviewer came back into room to ask us questions about the case. She asked the same questions to both of us, and we switched off giving her our answers. I don't think the case questions were difficult; they just required some common sense and decisiveness. It somehow morphed into a full-blown behavioral interview, and she asked lots of "give me an example of a time that you....." questions. After the case study was over, I immediately went to another behavioral interview. This was non-stop behavioral questions for about half an hour and it was somewhat exhausting, especially since it was right after the case study. I highly recommend preparing for this by thinking of your major accomplishments and difficult situations at work/school/activities that you've tackled. Afterwards, I went to give my 10-minute presentation that I'd prepared. There were just a few Epic employees as my "audience" and they were very friendly. Make sure to pick a topic that you find enjoyable and comfortable to talk about. Have fun with it! After lunch we were given a partial tour of campus, and then I had my HR interview (last interview of the day.) This included a few more behavioral questions, and some questions about whether or not I'd be willing to re-locate, the salary I was expecting, etc. I received a call one week later from my HR person with an offer.

Interview Questions

• What would each one of your references praise you for? What is something each one would say you could improve on?   Answer Question

I ultimately declined the offer because of location - I received an offer from a firm closer to where I live.