Epic Systems Corporation

Relevance Date Difficulty

Technical Writer & Quality Assurance Interview

Technical Writer & Quality Assurance
Madison, WI

I applied online and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in June 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted my application for the Technical Writer position online. The next day I received an email from an HR rep and was asked to fill out a few additional questions, mostly personal information and things like my GPA, etc. A couple days after that, I was contacted again via email and asked for a phone interview, which I scheduled for the next week. The phone interview was pretty basic--a technical writer interviewed me, and asked me about my three most recent positions, then asked if I had any questions about the company.

Within 24 hours of my phone interview, I had to complete a 2 hour timed writing sample consisting of three or four different prompts. I got an email the next day confirming that they had received my writing sample and were reviewing my materials, and then I was invited to take another 2 hour skills assessment and fill out a personality profile. I completed these assessments in the next couple days, and also received an email confirming my scores had been received at Epic. After that, I was invited to an onsite interview for two positions: Technical Writer and Quality Assurance. I chose between a number of days two weeks in advance. Because I already live in the Madison area, I did not need to be flown in; I drove to Epic with the instructions provided by HR, and it was very easy to find.

The day of the onsite interview I met with more people than I can count, so be prepared to keep names straight and don't depend on connecting with your interviewers, because there are so many of them. They provided breakfast and lunch, and there was a lot of walking (don't wear new shoes like I did, you'll have blisters so bad you can't move by the end of the day). When they tell you dress code is casual, they mean it. In a blazer and jeans, I was significantly dressier than anyone else, and it didn't seem like a good thing. Most people wore blouses or button downs with jeans; don't wear heels, don't wear dress shoes, and definitely do not show up in a business suit. My interviewers were mostly in t-shirts.

Almost everything was in groups. They give you a folder at the beginning of the day with your itinerary; only your case studies and meeting with HR at the end of the day will be one on one. For QA, my interview was very short. I had a small group activity where I was asked to perform a quality assurance test on a random item from the room, and then a case study one on one where I talked about management and organization. For technical writing, I had a case study the same as QA, and then a 2 hour writing test at the end of the day that consisted of one hour of random types of writing samples and one hour of technical writing. The 2 hour writing test was the hardest part of my interview, because I was exhausted, had blisters, and had been doing my best to stay on my game all day. The on-site interview lasted more than 8 hours in all.

After the interview, I was told I would hear back within two weeks. I hadn't heard back in two weeks, so I gave them an extra week lee-way and then called my HR rep and left a voicemail asking for updates. A week later, I was called back and they offered me the QA position.

In all, I spent at least 20 hours taking tests, gathering materials, and interviewing for Epic. If I hadn't been offered a position, I would be very upset at the amount of time they require of their applicants.

Interview Question – Name five things you are not.
If you were in charge of creating the themes for our buildings, what's a new theme you would choose?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was unnecessary; they offered me $50,000 for an entry level position.

Integration Engineer Interview

Integration Engineer
Madison, WI

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in June 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process is very extensive. First you apply and wait a few weeks for a one hour phone interview. After this you take a very long test (3 hour) that uses an online proctoring system. It has various questions about programming language logic, and general logic, and grammar.
   After a few weeks you then take another personality test and set up to go there in person. Going there is the best part of the process, they pay for the process and set you up in a snazzy hotel and take you out for dinner. The day after is a full day of learning about the company, doing a few interviews, and taking another computer IQ assessment.

Interview Question – Lots of questions about how you previously handled difficult situations you encountered.   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Interview

Quality Assurance
Madison, WI

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details – Application, phone screening, assessment tests, on-site tour/interview. From app to on-site took about a month.

On-site had multiple aspects to it, including overview of the company, small-group meeting with current QA, tour, and meeting with HR.

It does become a very long day, so be prepared to be energetic at all times. Everyone who I encountered was very welcoming and helpful.

Interview Question – 5 things you're not   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Verona, WI

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied to epic, they got back to me in a couple of days asking for an interview, scheduled and interview. They were very prompt. very simple interview with questions such as, why do you want to work for epic, what can you contribute. There was ample time for questions afterwards.

Interview Question – There was not anything unexpected   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Verona, WI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in November 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview: in which they just seemed to want to get to know you a little bit better, and make sure you were a real person. Nothing too challenging, just a little bit of background and few basic technical questions.

Video test (ProctorU): which basically comprised of basic math/programming question. Nothing that should be challenging to anyone with a basic knowledge in either topic. The programming section essentially covered all the knowledge of a basic CS intro class (recursion, basic programming syntax, etc). Any language can be used.

On site interview: They covered transport costs and housing. They showed us the campus a little and had a basic personality interview. Nothing really challenging here.

Interview Question – It was pretty easy overall, not too many technically challenging questions. They just wanted to see if you knew basic programming skills.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable

Madison, WI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in May 2010.

Interview Details – Entrance exam that featured math and english questions. Interviews weren't very technical and focused more on culture of the organization. There was a required presentation which tested your ability to speak and how you handled yourself under pressure.

Interview Question – Obscure math question regarding flowers / roses and how many were required.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked for a higher starting salary and they refused, even though I had a Masters degree.

Technical Services Interview

Technical Services
Verona, WI

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in April 2010.

Interview Details – Interesting interview process. They ask you intellectually stimulating questions to decipher whether or not you think like they do. I was initially declined a job offer, but then granted one 3 months later. I am not sure how their process works, so good luck.

Interview Question – Solving analytical story problems by hand. You also have to think quick, since a lot of questions are thrown your way in a limited amount of time.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, take it or leave it.

Verona, WI

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in May 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process is disillusioning. They do not tell you the PM role, like all Epic roles, is highly technical. They will make you meet many people, which can be confusing because the same role can have multiple names/acronyms. Additionally, they did not explain to me what an "application" means - which would have been nice to know.

Interview Question – The interview process is strenuous, but good. Nothing too out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Madison, WI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in April 2014.

Interview Details – Got interview call after 2 weeks of application. Online coding test. There will be 4-5 sections including coding, maths, logic, intro to new programming language. The questions were easy and nothing unexpected will come.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Technical Services Interview

Technical Services
Madison, WI

The process took 3 months - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in February 2014.

Interview Details – They contacted me via email first, I emailed back saying I was interested. Had two phone interviews, then an online assessment test proctored by someone via webcam, this included a coding section which was extremely difficult for me considering I have no programming experience. I wrote pseudo code for the first of the four questions, and the rest I honestly left blank on a test which was supposed to take two hours. Somehow, I was called in to have an onsite interview later, this was about 2 months into the whole process.

Onsite Interview:
Do NOT wear a suit, you will look out of place in a bad way. I wore nice khakis and a collared shirt under a sweater but even then you could go more casual. I would suggest a tucked in, collared shirt and no tie and go from there.

Started with a presentation in a room of me, 3 epic employees, and 4 other candidates who were all interviewing for different positions. Myself and the other Technical Services candidate both met with an older TS employee and kind of had a dual interview with him, no hard questions he pretty much just told us about what the job entailed.

Then we got split up so I had to go do a case study with two younger TS employees, just answering basic questions about how to prioritize problems and deal with customers.

Then we got a very long tour around most of the facility, which is an extremely impressive place by the way, if a little unprofessional, but that seems to be the vibe they're going for to try to reel people in.

Then I took a verbal reasoning test on a computer, basically just seeing if you understand grammar messups like they're/their/there and then/than. Then a more of a puzzle test about solving word problems, can't remember an example but it wasn't that hard but you definitely have to think about the answer for a second.

Then they put us back in our original group of 4 and ate lunch with an employee, just chatting and being friendly. Finally I had a final interview with HR where he didn't really ask me much except for things like "how much are you willing to travel?" "what pay are you thinking?", that type of HR bookkeeping stuff.

Done.

Overall it seems like more of the day is spent trying to sell you on how great the company is and how cool and fun and hip the building is rather than getting to know you. It's understandable since the company is so large and they recruit so many candidates, but it kind of makes you wonder what the catch is. Apparently the catch is that they will scare you into overworking so much that you will be burnt out in 2 years of 55-65 hour work weeks, from what I hear. I could definitely see that being the case; 75% of the employees I saw were under the age of 26, which is fine but it shows a high turnover rate, and illustrates how they prey on new college grads and just use them until they find a less insane job.

Interview Question – The online coding test before hand was easily the hardest.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I had a better offer I took that was more in line with my long term goals.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Epic Systems Corporation

Worked for Epic Systems Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Epic Systems Corporation interview questions and advice in Madison, WI. All 762 interview reviews posted anonymously by Epic Systems Corporation employees and interview candidates.