Epic Systems Corporation Project Manager Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Madison, WI) in August 2015.

Interview

Applied online then was asked to schedule a phone interview and take a personality test and proctored exam within the next week. Remember, this role is centered around technology but you are mostly managing relationships with people. Answer honestly but if you're a loner, easily irritated/impatient, or argumentative this may not be a great fit for you. For the proctored exam you take the programming portion first. This is very draining...make sure you check over your answers for the second part of this exam since you may be prone to making stupid mistakes after attempting to learn computer programming language. The second portion of the exam is logic problems, reading numerical charts and filling in missing values, and some math. The phone interview is very basic, they walk through your resume and tell you about the position. Take it and run with it. Emphasize good work ethic, collaboration, working well with different personalities, and professionalism. Remember if you get this position you would be working with higher up's at hospitals, so they don't want a total rookie. Ask your interviewer questions. A day later I got an email to schedule an on-site interview some time within the next two weeks. There's an option to arrive the evening prior to your interview and get dinner with a PM. DO IT. Every bit counts. Show enthusiasm for the position and Madison. It really is a cool town. The following day started around 8:30am and ended at 1:45pm. It included an overview of Epic, a casual overview with a current PM and another applicant, an interview with a project manager, a case study with one or two other applicants, lunch, tour, and an HR interview. You also have to give a 10 minute presentation (persuasive or informative). It can be on anything so do something that's easy for you to talk about and somewhat interesting. Make sure to keep to watch your time and not go over. Whatever salary you put in you application you will be offered if it is between $55-65. Maybe higher if you have another offer on the table that you can subtly bring up. I told them I had an offer and I needed to know ASAP...they called me with an offer the next day. Don't be nervous, everyone you meet is very personable and laid back. Half of the day is really casual and they just want to see if you're a good fit with the culture. The whole day is actually really fun too if you try to make friends with the other candidates. Epic is always looking to hire so it's not cut throat, be friendly! Your interviewers will probably notice. At least that's what I did and it worked out.

Interview Questions

• On a scale of 1-10 how critical are you...explain? Tell me about a time you were criticized...how did you work on this? You're in a group with other project managers who are just as experienced as you but you've been appointed as the group leader. They all want decision A, but you want decision B. What would you do?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Epic Systems Corporation

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Madison, WI) in August 2015.

Interview

The phone interview was a nice and somewhat conversational. No real difficult questions more of getting to know if you really ment to apply. The next step of testing is pretty tough takes about two hours.

Interview Questions

• Ask how I would pick one company over another of given multiple offers   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Madison, WI) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online. I received an email a couple of days later for the online assessment. It's really not as bad as people say. Maybe do some practice questions if you're as rusty at standardized testing as I am. The coding part was a joke for me as I have no coding experience. The whole thing took me about 1 hour and 40 minutes. The personality test is pretty standard with some random math questions thrown in. The phone interview was not the easy chat some people have described. I had a couple of situational/behavioral questions thrown at me immediately and then the guy read from his script for awhile. I had a couple of questions ready, but he answered most of them during his script reading, so I had to come up with more and more. He kept prompting me to ask more questions. Honestly, it was painful. I asked at least 10 questions. The guy was really script-focused and I tried a couple times to engage in a more conversational manner, but he was not having it. I didn't think I'd get any further in the process, but a week later they invited me to the on-site interview. I went out for the dinner the night before and it was so awkward. The employee clearly didn't want to be there and was not interested in us at all. We got lost walking to the restaurant and ended up going to some crappy place in a mall complex, waited 45 minutes for food, and made painful small talk the whole time. I would say it was a waste of time, but I met a couple of people I spent the next day with so it was nice have some familiar faces. Interview day was actually not as intense as you'd think a day of interviewing would be: the whole thing went from 8:30 to around 1pm (You'd stay longer if you were interviewing for multiple roles.) I actually felt like I did really well. The conversation with the project manager was relaxed: we spoke to a sweaty man in flip flops who read through a piece of paper to ensure he covered the finer points. Make sure you have TONS of questions ready. The presentation is just a chance to see your speaking skills so do something you're really comfortable with (and something your audience won't know anything about). This was in front of my HR person and two disengaged employees (they must have drawn the short sticks.) I was expecting questions but only got one during and two after. The 1:1 interview and case study were really good. The questions aren't difficult at all. (I think because they recruit heavily out of university, there aren't a lot of experience-based questions. It's much more how you think and what your personality is.) Case study was really straight forward and simple. Everyone was really friendly and genuine. I guess I was expecting more glazed eyes based on the reviews talking about the cult-like atmosphere, but everyone was very down-to-earth and honest about their jobs and the company. I felt like I gave strong answers and didn't make a fool of myself at any point. I think I really dropped the ball in the HR interview. The woman was really abrasive. We went through my entire history point-by-point and some of the questions I felt were aggressive and offensive. Be prepared to defend your life choices up to this point. (Why this university? Why that job? Why did you graduate at this time? Why did you get your master's degree? Why did you move to this place?) And then for salary expectations, I wrote 70K+ which I thought was reasonable based on my research, but she shot me down saying, "we would never offer that." According to her, entry-levels make, at the top end, low 60's up to mid 60's with bonuses. But I'm not entry level and so was expecting the opportunity to negotiate. After all that, the HR lady said that the next starting dates for project managers were JANUARY. Nearly 5 months away. (I spoke to another candidate later who'd interviewed for technical services and had gotten the same news.) A week and a half later the same HR lady called me with a brief "we're moving forward with other candidates." When I asked for any feedback, she said it was all confidential and couldn't tell me anything. Disappointing after all of that, that I couldn't defend myself to their misgivings (or at least know what they were). They didn't contact my references. All in all, it was a clear and well-paced interview process, if not filled with endless hoops to jump through. Overall, I'm guessing I didn't get the position because I'm not their target demographic of malleable university students. (I'm 30 - guess I missed the Epic boat!) Also if I was to do it again, I'd leave the salary expectations blank and let them do the talking. And I'd act more enthusiastic. In the end though, despite all the tests and interviews, it felt like random selection. I was surprised I got through the first round and then surprised I didn't get a job offer. So I it's cliched advice from me: just do your best and be yourself!

Interview Questions

• 1:1 interview: What makes you impatient? How do you deal with that? What are the characteristics that you think make someone successful? How well do you embody those characteristics? What would you do if you disagreed with your manager? Give an example of a project you've worked on. Give an example of a recent time you've given technical troubleshooting advice. Would you rather speak in front of a VP, six co-workers, or a room of 30 people? Are you more detail oriented or big picture oriented? / Case Study: We were given an example of a go-live scenario and its surrounding issues. We had to prioritize the issues and give suggested solutions as well as an "off-the-wall" solution. Is there anything I didn't ask you that I should have? / HR interview: Name 5 things you are not. What are your strengths/weaknesses? What three things would you consider when choosing a job? What is a misconception about you? Are you planning to go back to school?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Verona, WI) in August 2015.

Interview

Online application process is straightforward and easy. Shortly after applying qualified candidates receive an email to set up a phone interview with a Project Manager at epic. Call is about 30 minutes and not bad at all. Then you take an assessment and it is not easy. Then you get invited to their campus and they just want to see that you are personable. You are asked to do a 10 minute presentation on anything you want, so choose something actually interesting to you.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview

As many on here described, I received a short, 10 minute phone interview with a current Project Manager to learn more about the position and for him to get to know me. It was very brief and casual, and the guy on the phone was actually really chill

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in June 2015.

Interview

Te interview was 3 tier. I cleared the first stage, which was a basic phone interview. The interviewer was another project manager. She asked me behavioral questions. Second step was a proctored logical test. After 1 week from the test, they emailed me that they would move on with other applicants.

Interview Questions

• Where do you want to see yourself in 5 years? Talk about your last employment.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview

Was emailed by a recruiter from Epic that they found my resume through my university's career site and asked me to fill out a generic form to see if I was a good fit. Got an email a few days later from another recruiter who said they wanted to do a phone screening, and also wanted me to complete an online assessment beforehand to speed up the process. The interviewer was 10 minutes late when calling me and asked me 2-3 questions about Epic and about my personal background then opened it up to questions. After I asked my questions, she rudely says "Well nice talking to you. Have a good rest of your day" and doesn't mention when I could expect a reply or a follow-up. This makes me think that she already saw me as unfit for the role and decided not to bother giving me a general timeline of when I could expect a response. Totally unprofessional, and it was clear from the interview that she was uninterested in what I had to say which is funny because THEY were the ones who sought me out. Not me. And for them to ask me why I would be a good fit for the role is baffling because I already filled out an online form for them to determine if I would be compatible for the position. Don't bother applying to Epic. They will basically ask you the same questions from the online form and not provide a follow-up date.

Project Manager Interview

Interview

I am very impressed with how efficient and swift the Epic hiring process is. They get back to you within 2 weeks, usually within a week after online submission about setting up a phone interview. The phone interview is with someone who is at the position you are applying for; I got someone very friendly, professional, and informative. In general, this is a quick and smooth process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Verona, WI) in May 2015.

Interview

1. Applied online 2. Invited to take online assessment 3. Phone interview 4. On-site interview in Madison, WI 5. Received offer The entire process was well organized. Employees and interviewees were very pleasant to talk to. The Verona campus is incredible! Spent night in a hotel in downtown Madison and had plenty of time to explore the area.

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Madison, WI) in May 2015.

Interview

Received an email the day after I submitted the application, scheduling a phone interview. Before the phone interview I took the skills assessment and personality test which were tedious but not overly difficult. Phone interview lasted 30 minutes and basically just introduced you to the company. On site interview was very organized with multiple parts including giving a presentation on anything, lasted about 7 hours.