Epic Systems Corporation

Updated Dec 1, 2014

3.1

140 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Project Manager Interview

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in February 2011.

I was contacted by Epic in December and was asked to submit an application for their project manager position. A month later I was given a phone interview, about two weeks later I was offered an in person interview in Madison. They flew me across the country and put me up in a nice hotel downtown covering all my expenses. The day of the interview I woke early and was taken by Cab to their headquarters, which is about 30 minutes away from downtown Madison. It began with a tour of the campus followed by a demonstration of their software after which we each began our interviews. The first interview was position specific, I cannot disclose the actual questions, but I can say you should treat the day as a marathon test but should not pose serious problems for those qualified. They followed up the first interview with a presentation to a group of young employees (most employees are young) which was basically to prove your communications skills. Lunch gave us a break followed by another round of interviews with HR, after which at the end of the day we began the exams, which last approximatively two hours. These exams make the interview process incredibly unique as after years of college and great grades (you need at least a 3.3 to even be considered) you must prove your intelligence they don't take it for granted. Finally you hand in your exam and they call you a cab. The whole day takes about 7 hours, and they say they will contact you in a week possibly two with their decision. Its been two full weeks for me and am still waiting for an answer, so don't expect a quick response they do have many, many candidates to consider.

Interview Questions
  • When would you be ready to start working if offered the job?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Epic Systems Corporation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in February 2010.

First a campus interview, then a phone interview, then they flew me in for a day to Madison. Had to give a presentation to a group, then take IQ and skills test, then some one on one interviews and a case study. Although I thought I was interviewing for a sales type of position, they gave me a programming test that I knew absolutely nothing about. The presentation, case study, and other tests went great but it went south when I interviewed with the HR woman and took the programming test. Although the company was impressive (the company campus is amazing), the company was way too informal for my liking and the position required WAY too much traveling. If you are a techie, you will probably love it but those I spoke to on the marketing side did not.

Project Manager Interview

Was flown out and put in a hotel, which was pretty nice of them. However, the interview was a joke. Came in and found out there were 8 other people interviewing for the same position that I had to spend the entire day with. They take you on a tour of their overly nice campus that looks like something from Star Trek. Then you have to take a test on computer code, regardless of the position you are applying for. The interview itself is based on all the qualities you don't have and has nothing to do with your strengths or experiences.

Project Manager Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Was contacted by EPIC from my resume on career builder. Flown out to Madison, WI to interview at headquarters. Interviews and exercises lasted almost all day. Many other candidates were there from all different backgrounds.

Interview Questions
    • If you are the Project Manager and everyone on your team disagrees with one of your decision, what do you do?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

I was contacted via a recruiter for another position (keeping the details somewhat vague so I don't out myself). After applying I was switched to a project manager candidate. Standard process:
    1 - Phone interview which went decent
    2 - Proctored testing. The programming test isn't really programming heavy, most of the tests are just logic related.
    3 - In person interviews. There were about 4-5 interviews I think, a presentation, software demo, tour. Hotel was awesome, and the dinner was cool. Most people you meet will be pretty socially awkward, get used to it. The exception is project managers. If you aren't very outgoing and extraverted you probably won't be selected for implementation.

I got an offer for a third position about 1-2 weeks after the interview process. Don't be surprised or offended if you end up in another position you didn't initially apply for. They do a good job of matching candidates up with jobs that will be the most mutually beneficial, and I'm kinda glad I didn't end up a project manager.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. They have ranges for each role and you'll get something in the range based on your interview process scores and background.

Project Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in October 2010.

Online application with a initial test upon submission. Followed up promptly with email the next week to set up phone interview. Phone interview was 30 minutes with a current employee, not with HR - gave some perspective on their job role and how they like the company and working there. Then came onsite for the in person interview - it was a half-day long process with a pre-prepared presentation, group interview/overview of the role and additional testing and 1:1 interaction with HR.

Project Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in December 2012.

Feel like a number. Very corporate. Hiring like mad.
    Unnecessary testing for logic.

Interview Questions
    • How much do you participate in meetings percentage wise? What would you do if you are a leader and your team doesnt support your decision? Vice versa   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Didn't get the on-site. I guess I didn't pass the assessment. It was pretty difficult, especially the programming section. I had no experience with programming. I did do a phone interview and was told to wait to hear back further. Maybe a week later, I heard back that I didn't get an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in January 2012.

1st round: Epic HR e-mailed to schedule for a phone interview -which went really smoothly.
    2nd round: Computerized test: The first half of the test was similar to the GRE quant questions, The second half was all programing, and I think I did horribly hence did not receive an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in January 2012.

I read over every single post prior to interviewing with Epic and the reviews are spot on! Let me start by saying the interviewing process is intense but well worth it even if you are not extended an offer. Once you have gone through their process you are prepared to take on any interview.

Tips and advice:

1. Don't stress about the presentation! You are in a room with three very friendly and engaging people. Don't try and dazzle them with your software or management knowledge and experience but rather present to them on something you enjoy and are extremely knowledeable. There were people presenting on zombies who got an offer so, as I said, don't fret about the topic just focus on your presentation skills. **Bring props!**

2. If you dislike standardized tests, you are in for a treat! I am personally not bad at standardized tests as I have taken the LSAT and scored quite well on it. I am, however, terrible at tests where I have no time to prepare for them. They are not basic math problems but rather quite tricky Math and English questions. You might wonder how English/ reaidng comprehension questions could be challanging- but they are!

3. Don't bank on an offer. They fly 85% of their candidates out to Madison, so it doesn't mean they are very serious about you. Im surprised they can afford to spend that kind of money on applicants. You will be up against students from top schools such as Harvard and Stanford, so in my eyes its not the end of the world if you don't get an offer. Go learn about Epic, do your best, and HAVE FUN!

I thought I was quite a strong candidate with having a high GPA and experience with 2 fortune 100 companies, but they are looking for something very specific- I couldn't tell you what. I don't think anyone but HR really knows.

**If you are up for a challange and you are ready to accept a job that requires you to work 60+ hours a week for only 60 grand this is the place for you! The average time a Project Manager stays with the company is about 2 years as they burn out quite quickly. You get a lot of experience under your belt quite fast but this is not a place to settle down with but rather a stepping stone into getting a position with a company like Cisco or HP.

Interview Questions
    • Name 5 things you are not. (Related to professional life not personal)   Answer Question
    • How would you handle a Doctor who has a lot of experience and is resistant to learning the new technology?   Answer Question