Epic Systems Corporation

Updated Mar 2, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in September 2007.

I was originally contacted due to my resume on careerbuilder.com. The first phone interview lasted about 15 min, we then set up the first in person interview, which took about 3 hours. The second interview took about 4 hours. The first in person interview consisted of 2 tests, an intelligence test and a programming test. The second interview consisted of a 10 min presentation and a personality test. Sometimes your personality test is what determines what role you will have at Epic.

Interview Questions
  • What healthcare experience do you have and how will it relate to this job?   Answer Question
If you are an implementor/project manager negotiate for $60k plus, they will then work you down to the mid to high $50k range.

Other Interview Reviews for Epic Systems Corporation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in January 2007.

I was asked to complete a phone interview and "logic" test. The test has two parts. One is basic logic, the second is basic programming logic. The programming portion is not technical, and can be done by anyone, its just an evaluation of your ability to comprehend new arbitrary rule sets. Next is an onsite interview where you're asked to do a 10 min. presentation to a group on any topic you choose. This is to evaluate your presentation skills, and should focus on concisely and logically presenting a topic to the panel as if you're introducing them to the subject for the first time (not teaching them, just introducing them to something new). Be prepared to answer a lot of questions during the presentation. The one on one interview are all about your ability to manage projects, and are mostly situational.

Epic is notorious for formula's. You are hired or denied based on a combination of your test scores, your college GPA (weighted depending on the reputation of your college), and the evaluators marks on your in person interviews. Accordingly, you need not apply unless your GPA is good for your school (3.5 and above for most people is probably a fair assumption) and you can handle doing well on a test unprepared. You can always exaggerate your GPA if you're worried that you might be below the bar.

Interview Questions
    • The interview went through and asked what each on of my references would say is my greatest weakness and strength.   View Answer
    There isn't any chance for negotiation. All new hires start with the same salary offer depending on your position. If you have relevant expertise, such as work history in the medical field or programming skills you should receive a higher offer, but I suspect that's set through a pre determined formula and not negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in December 2008.

First there was an interview at my school. Second round was on site with three separate one on one interview. One was with HR the rest with people in your possible position. Questions were basic behavioral type. One question I got asked is: What are three things you are not?

Project Manager Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in March 2009.

I had received an email from someone in Epic's HR department stating that they viewed my resume through Monster.com and if I was interested in a position to email them back. I did and then I was emailed again to shedule a phone interview upon completing a skills test prior to the interview. I did the assessment then I emailed back with my availability which was all during the same week. When my phone interview date arrived I received a call from a current project manager not an HR person. He explained this was because Epic wanted me to get a feel for the type of position I was applying for. The interview was a bit awkward as he was mainly discussing his responsibilities and hardly asked me any HR related questions. He then said that Epic will send me an email regarding the next step in the selection process. I received an email that following week stating that I was no longer considered for the position and they weren't allowed to tell me why. I was so confused.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about working long hours?   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in July 2009.

1 - Personality test. Online, maybe 30 minutes. Series of multiple choice answers where you must select the answer most like your personality. Answers keep getting narrowed down until only one "least like you" answer remains.
    2 - Phone interview. This is done by a HR screener, maybe 10 minutes. Focus on saying as little as possible. Goal is to not give them a reason to throw you out. Walked through my last three jobs and asked what I like most, hated most, and why I left. Asked about salary requirement and would not budge until I gave a response.
    3 - Skills/IQ test. Proctored test, about 1-2 hours.

Interview Questions
    • What did you hate most about your last job?   View Answer

I read on glassdoor that everyone works 60 hours/week and this was not satisfactory with the salary offer.

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in August 2009.

I applied online for a position as a Project Manager, although the website has very vague job descriptions (intentionally, an employee told me) and I wasn't sure if that was exactly the best fit for me. I'm from the Milwaukee area and I had heard some good things (as well as a lot of negative things) about the company, which is why, as a recent college grad, I applied. Also, Madison is a great city, and I'd love to live there.

After I submitted my application, I was contacted within a couple of days about taking an online personality test and setting up a phone interview. The interview was pretty easy--it lasted only about a half an hour and the woman I spoke with was very nice. The personality test was a little strange. I'm not sure if they turn down people based solely on their responses to it, but I hope they don't, because I don't think it could possibly give them much useful information about the applicant.

A few days after the phone interview, I was emailed and asked to set up an on-site interview. The facilities are very nice, although it is way further outside of Madison than I had expected. Everyone I spoke to was friendly. And very young. I was given a quick, very uninformative tour and a company overview. Then I met with an HR person and had a rather short interview. He pretty much only asked situational questions. I would say it went pretty well, but then again he was so enthusiastic about literally everything I said/life in general, it was kind of hard to tell. After the interview I took three self-proctored tests, which took a little less than two hours, and were kind of tricky but nothing terrible.

Interview Questions

The whole place gave me a weird vibe, to be honest. And mostly, I decided I wasn't terribly interested in working at a place with such an insane turn over rate.

Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI
    Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in September 2009.

1st round: On campus interview. Mostly behavioral questions, focusing somewhat on characteristics of being a leader and working in teams.. i.e. How would you handle a situation in which you were put in place as the leader of a team, but your three other equally experienced team members completely disagreed with you on a decision. Interviewer worked to make me feel comfortable. Interview lasted about 30 mins. Haven't heard back yet, but it has been less than a week. If chosen, the next step is an interview at their headquarters in Verona with some of the management. They are hiring a lot of college grads right now, as they can't find enough experienced people to fill their needs.

Interview Questions
    • Now, if you were a member of a team, and you and your team members completely disagreed with the designated leader as to a decision he needed to make. How would you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

The process took a dayinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in October 2009.

I had a phone interview with basic questions to check to see if I was who I said I was. I was then invited to interview on the campus where I had a tour, followed by a behavioral interview, and then a set of skills tests. The process was about 3 hours long and the tests were not too bad.

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in October 2009.

I recently completed the first two steps of the Epic interview process. The first interview was a 1:1 interview on campus with a recruiter. The questions were split between basic background/education questions, including ACT scores and GPA. The other questions focused on leadership and teamwork questions, asking for examples of times that you demonstrated you were assertive or could work on a team. Another scenario given was that you were a team leader and had to make a decision with the other three members of your group, but you had a different solution than they did. Epic wanted to know how you would resolve it, and if you would go with your solution or agree with the rest of the group.

It seemed that it was mainly focused on evaluating your ability to lead as well as work with a group.

Interview Questions
    • You are the group leader and you're working with three other team members to come to a decision on a problem. You hold the responsibility for the solution, and have one idea about how to approach it, but your team members disagree with you. Do you go with your opinion or that of your group members, and why?   View Answers (2)
    • On a scale of 1 to 10, how assertive are you? Based on your answer, also give an example of a time that you were assertive.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in October 2009.

The first phase of the process is a phone interview, which is easy and requires no preparation (they just verify resume info). Before the phone interview you also have to do an online personality test (also easy).

The next step is they fly you over to Madison, which is a surprisingly lovely city. You're set up in a nice hotel and you can opt to have a free dinner with an Epic employee that night, which I did. This is where things start to go down hill as all the trappings of a fine-tuned, mass-interviewing apparatus become increasingly apparent. You don't get a one-on-one dinner. Instead, along come 5 or 6 other people, all interviewing for your same position the next day (that's okay though...Epic is such a large company that at any given time they've got to be hiring for multiple vacancies...so no worries yet). I had a blast at this dinner, really talking and getting to know my fellow interviewees. The Epic employee mentioned that only about 0.1% of applicants are hired at Epic, but that number sounded so bizarre as to not be plausible. I dismissed it.

The next day my cab driver warned me that I "have a lot of competition," saying that for the past 3 years Epic has been interviewing 10-12 applicants per day, every working day of the year. I was not too worried by this, since afterall I love a challenge. The whole interview process consisted of 6 hours of a mix between them providing meinformation about the company/their software/the project management role, interspersed with verbal, math, and programming assessments, a project management interview/assessment (they give you a PM scenario and you have to identify the biggest problems and how you would address these problems), a 10-minutes presentation that you give on the topic of your choice, and a 1 on 1 interview with HR (this came last, and after getting up at 5am and going for 6 hours straight, it was difficult for me to answer her questions). During part of your day you're with a huge group of other interviewees, and many of the staff that speak to you seem bored (as if they've done this a thousand times).

Overall, the whole experience seemed to be a waste of time giving the poor odds of actually being hired. If you do go on this interview I suggest giving it your all, but not investing too much of yourself in your prospect of being hired.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a team leader who is ineffective and consistently fails to meet deadlines?   Answer Question