Epic Systems Corporation

Getting the Interview

128 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Madison, WI

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in October 2012.

Interview Details – The process is very straightforward, but a little lengthy. I initially submitted my application online for Project Manager. I was contacted within a few days to set-up a phone interview and do a Rembrandt questionnaire. Before the phone interview, I was asked to submit a timed writing sample. The prompt was given to me at the time of the testing. After finding out that I passed the tests and phone interview, I was contacted to set-up a proctored exam. Luckily, I was able to take it with students at my school. The test was pretty basic, logical reasoning problems, verbal and programming. Programming for me was an optional test. After I found out that I passed this portion, I was contacted to interview on site in Madison. The day of interviews is pretty intense and lengthy, but overall, it's a really positive experience. Be well-prepared for behavioral questions as well as follow-up questions. Some people have to give a presentation, but HR will let you know beforehand if that's necessary. If you are interested in a position other than the one they want to hire you for, make sure and let them know.

Interview Question – The presentation isn't difficult as you know about it beforehand and you get to pick the topic. Just make sure that you don't let your "audience" (3 people) fluster you with their questions. Be well-prepared to talk about yourself and "imagine" yourself in situations.   Answer Question

Verona, WI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in January 2011.

Interview Details – Phone Interview
Paper Test
In-Person Interview (includes a 10 minute presentation)

Interview Question – There is a questionnaire on how you would react in different situations (they are real life and based on real experiences). It's not hard, but just unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No real negotiation.

Madison, WI

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in August 2012.

Interview Details – Lots of fluff, sounds like a great company to start with especially for recent college graduates.

Interview Question – How much time are you willing to commit?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – after reading through glassdoor reviews, lack of job security made it difficult to imagine relocation

Verona, WI

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in July 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online and heard back from HR within a week, asking me to take online Rembrandt exam - I suspect there isn't any right fit they are looking for.. just looking for consistency in your answers. I then had a phone interview with an HR rep within the next week.. went over basic resume stuff (also seemingly unnecessary details, like SAT and GRE score.. GPA...) and the Project Manager/ IS role - she stressed this position is VERY travel-heavy .. they do not hide this. I have a few friends who had this position and they all burned out within 2 years... I explained that I was well aware of the highs.. and lows.. of the position.. and very willing to take it on! I then got an invitation to take some assessments remotely (I live in NYC) .. took a basic math test and a simple programming quiz (they explain their made-up language.. no need for actual programming skills.. just looking to see if you can learn new things quickly). After a week and a half (I had thought I failed!).. I head back from HR and was invited to fly out to Madison and visit the campus. The whole process went very smoothly and was quite nice. I was put up at the Hyatt and very comfortable. The interview day is rather intense.. starts at 8am and they have a full agenda for you.. tour.. software demo.. and three 1-on-1 interviews, a case study, and a presentation you lead. The presentation was the part I was most afraid of.. but turns out the three folks in the room you speak to are really nice and don't put on any added pressure. Just pick a topic you are very knowledgeable in .. and comfortable speaking about freely - I didn't and regret it :( Also had a verbal assessment test (grammar.. etc) and a quick 2 minute test.. not sure what the point of that was.

I just got done with this earlier this week.. so haven't heard back either way.. but I hear they call regardless of their decision o_O

All in all, the questions asked weren't too difficult... but watch out, it's a marathon of a day, so make sure you are well rested!!

Interview Questions

• To what extent are you willing to get something done? Where do you draw the line?   Answer Question
  • Describe both positive and negative things each of your references have to say about you...   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Salary was not enough for the hours they expect (do not short change yourself! they will ask what salary you want during your interview, and I low-balled myself .. and they offered what I said.. there are folks who start at 65K, so don't ask for below that!!)

Verona, WI

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in April 2012.

Interview Details – multiple interviews

Interview Question – everything is in negative form. They don't focus on any of your strengths, they just want to see what you suck at.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – the company is a churn and burn company. They throw a nice salary at you, but they work you like a dog in return, thus making the salary less valuable. I have friends that work there and everyday they want to jump off a bridge. They also brag about their campus and how nice it is, which is just sickening because when you work there, you never get to enjoy it. I also hear there is a ton of high school drama among the employees. Lastly, from what I hear they have performance reviews, but you never get to them and receive any direct feedback.

Madison, WI

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in March 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process was exactly how everyone described it here on Glassdoor. If you pass the phone interview, then you'll be flown out to Madison to go through the intensive in person interview process. If you want a solid chance then you should really prepare for all of the questions mentioned on this website, be ready for the presentation, and most importantly, be yourself! (Well if being yourself means outgoing and enthusiastic). As far as the standardized tests, just do your best.

I felt I nailed certain parts of the interview process, but I wasn't at the top of my game towards the tail end of the long day. I tried, but just couldn't pull it off after hours on end of standardized tests, tours, presentations, case studies, etc. And unfortunately for me, the last part was probably the most important part since I was interviewing 1 on 1 with the HRM who most likely made the final decision.

Interview Question – What are 5 words that do not describe you?   Answer Question

Madison, WI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in May 2012.

Interview Details – Recruiter initially reached out to me via email - most likely through my public resume on our school's career website. Had an initial phone interview that went very well. Guy on the other end was very nice and answered all my questions without getting annoyed or patronizing. Informed me a little more about the role and specific responsibilities and his experience with the role.

Drove up to Madison and got dinner with other interview candidates and a couple current young employees. Walked around Madison and talked more about social life and Madison experience then the specific job. Completely casual.

Arrived at their campus the next day. Their campus has to be one of the most beautiful in the midwest and is up there with the google's and apple's of the world. The campus is a little "nerdy" in the fact that every building has a specific theme and is named after galaxies and such. However it's pretty cool and would not be as overwhelming after working there for a bit. Then spoke to an employee who was currently in the role I was interviewing for in a group - again just feeling out what the role was about. Then had a "case study" interview with one other candidate which they use to judge your ability to create an argument but also to ensure you are not too abrasive and competitive with the other person and try to make them look bad.

Grabbed lunch with yet another employee and other candidates then had a 1 on 1 with a senior guy which all questions were predrafted and they selected a few from the sheet. Nothing technical - all just personality and work ethic type questions. Finally had a 1 on 1 with the recruiter which was used to see if you were actually into the role, company, and industry. Also asked about salary.

Interview Question – Tell me a difference between the way people perceive you and how you perceive yourself.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Job in more desired field was offered to me.

Verona, WI

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in May 2012.

Interview Details – 1. Preliminary Application
2. Rembrandt Profile
3. Phone Interview
4. Skills Assessment
5. On-site Interview - Consists of a case-study interview, a 10-minute presentation, an interview with HR, a couple Q&A/ Demonstrations from Epic Staff.

Epic's campus is absolutely amazing - the architecture is ridiculously nice, and the employees get to help decorate it. From what I have seen so far, the people are pretty young (35 year olds looked ancient), there is no dress code, the food in the cafeteria is amazing, and Madison/Verona are also awesome (in the summertime). The presentation wasn't too bad - everyone was nice and didn't try to mess you up. They really just want to get a feel for who you are as a person. So don't just be yourself - be your best self.

Interview Question – Name 5 words you wouldn't use to describe yourself.   Answer Question

Madison, WI

The process took a day - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in May 2012.

Interview Details – My university has a resume book that employers can peruse. Epic found my resume and sent me an e-mail telling me they thought I'd be a good fit for the Project Manager position. I replied that I did, and they responded in about a week telling me to take an IQ/Intelligence Test. From there I did a super easy phone interview and a week later got invited to do the day long campus interview.

Interview Question – If we were to call one of your references, what is a negative thing he or she would say about you?   View Answer

Madison, WI

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in August 2010.

Interview Details – Phone Interview followed by single day, multi part interview.
No dress code required, went for very business casual and fit right in.
For the presentation - be light hearted and engage them, as they looked bored to start.

Interview Question – Name your 5 biggest weaknesses.   Answer Question