Epic Systems Corporation

Updated Jun 26, 2014

Average Difficulty
134 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Madison, WI

The process took a day - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in October 2009.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview with basic questions to check to see if I was who I said I was. I was then invited to interview on the campus where I had a tour, followed by a behavioral interview, and then a set of skills tests. The process was about 3 hours long and the tests were not too bad.

Interview Question – Describe 5 things that you are not.   Answer Question

Madison, WI

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in October 2009.

Interview Details – I recently completed the first two steps of the Epic interview process. The first interview was a 1:1 interview on campus with a recruiter. The questions were split between basic background/education questions, including ACT scores and GPA. The other questions focused on leadership and teamwork questions, asking for examples of times that you demonstrated you were assertive or could work on a team. Another scenario given was that you were a team leader and had to make a decision with the other three members of your group, but you had a different solution than they did. Epic wanted to know how you would resolve it, and if you would go with your solution or agree with the rest of the group.

It seemed that it was mainly focused on evaluating your ability to lead as well as work with a group.

Interview Questions

• You are the group leader and you're working with three other team members to come to a decision on a problem. You hold the responsibility for the solution, and have one idea about how to approach it, but your team members disagree with you. Do you go with your opinion or that of your group members, and why?   View Answer
  • On a scale of 1 to 10, how assertive are you? Based on your answer, also give an example of a time that you were assertive.   View Answer

Madison, WI

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in October 2009.

Interview Details – The first phase of the process is a phone interview, which is easy and requires no preparation (they just verify resume info). Before the phone interview you also have to do an online personality test (also easy).

The next step is they fly you over to Madison, which is a surprisingly lovely city. You're set up in a nice hotel and you can opt to have a free dinner with an Epic employee that night, which I did. This is where things start to go down hill as all the trappings of a fine-tuned, mass-interviewing apparatus become increasingly apparent. You don't get a one-on-one dinner. Instead, along come 5 or 6 other people, all interviewing for your same position the next day (that's okay though...Epic is such a large company that at any given time they've got to be hiring for multiple vacancies...so no worries yet). I had a blast at this dinner, really talking and getting to know my fellow interviewees. The Epic employee mentioned that only about 0.1% of applicants are hired at Epic, but that number sounded so bizarre as to not be plausible. I dismissed it.

The next day my cab driver warned me that I "have a lot of competition," saying that for the past 3 years Epic has been interviewing 10-12 applicants per day, every working day of the year. I was not too worried by this, since afterall I love a challenge. The whole interview process consisted of 6 hours of a mix between them providing meinformation about the company/their software/the project management role, interspersed with verbal, math, and programming assessments, a project management interview/assessment (they give you a PM scenario and you have to identify the biggest problems and how you would address these problems), a 10-minutes presentation that you give on the topic of your choice, and a 1 on 1 interview with HR (this came last, and after getting up at 5am and going for 6 hours straight, it was difficult for me to answer her questions). During part of your day you're with a huge group of other interviewees, and many of the staff that speak to you seem bored (as if they've done this a thousand times).

Overall, the whole experience seemed to be a waste of time giving the poor odds of actually being hired. If you do go on this interview I suggest giving it your all, but not investing too much of yourself in your prospect of being hired.

Interview Question – How would you deal with a team leader who is ineffective and consistently fails to meet deadlines?   Answer Question

Project Manager

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in November 2009.

Interview Details – Met Epic at my university's career fair. Seemed like a pretty neat company. I gave them my resume and I got an email a week later saying they'd like to set up a phone interview, which was short and really easy. Then i had to take a skill-assessment test, which was harder than i thought it'd be, but apparently I did well cause i got an on-site interview. Haven't done that yet, but i'm preparing a 10 min presentation for it. Hopefully it goes well.

Interview Question – When was the last time you made a big impact in a leadership role?   Answer Question

Madison, WI

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in September 2009.

Interview Details – 1.Emailed by HR rep to take initial online Rembrandt personality and math test. (Found it silly but played along--in hindsight, this was a red flag.)
2. Scheduled for a phone "interview," which mainly consisted of the Epic person asking me for dates of when I started/left previous jobs.
3. Flown out for an on-site cattle-call style interview. The Madison cab drivers all shake their heads at Epic candidates because there are THAT many people interviewed each week.
4. Told I would be made an offer or not in 1 week and heard back a few weeks later.
There were about 10 prospective candidates at the hotel and all of us went out to dinner with an Epic employee. This was described as a 1:1 dinner, however there wasn't really much 1:1, since there were so many of us. The Epic employee was nice and had lots of information but had a tight-lipped deer-in-the-headlights look when we asked what the formula was to get hired (It's obviously some SAT+GRE+School Ranking/age formula). Seriously, the guy looked SCARED when we asked about the formula--and we were only kind of kidding...
On site, I was asked to make a 10-minute presentation to 4 Epic employees (PowerPoint not allowed). Not a big deal. And all of my interviews went well. Most of them were the Epic employees following a script describing their jobs and/or asking the same (scripted) typical HR questions. What I found ridiculous was that they flew me out only to put me in a small, creepy office ALONE for 3 hours or so with written tests. These tests were basic math story problems, verbal (more like riddles), and programming tests. I understand that they want empirical evidence that someone is intelligent, but to anyone who is not just out of college... it is incredibly tedious and insulting. Apparently they have not heard the news in Madison that research has shown time and again that these standardized tests MEAN NOTHING. For a company that caters to evidence-based medicine... you need to revisit your tired hiring process. Bottom line: If you really want a job at Epic, get a GRE review book and familiarize yourself with those types of questions. And if you're over 30 years old, forget it. (The age rumors are most definitely true.)

Interview Questions

• What is something that (one of your references) would say you could improve on?   View Answer
  • What are 5 words that don't describe you?   View Answer

Madison, WI

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in February 2010.

Interview Details – I took the skills test. It was a 3 part exam with a reading, math, and skills part. It was an extremely analytical exam. The reading had a lot of analogy questions while the math part had a lot of questions that involved critical thinking skills. The last part involves learning a new computer programming software just to see how well you can follow directions.

Interview Question – An apple costs 20 cents, an orange costs 40 cents and a grapefruit costs 60 cents, how much is a pear?   View Answers (23)

Madison, WI

Interview Details – Applied online, which was quickly followed up by telephone interview to confirm starting dates of previous jobs and education. Invited for on-site interview in Madison, WI.

Interview consisted of usual things -

Tell me five things you are not.
If I called your previous boss right now, what would he say good about you? What would he say you need to improve on?
Are you assertive? Rank your assertiveness.
Are you a listener or a talker?
Are you a natural born leader?
If your team members disagree with you and you are the leader of the team, whose advice would you follow.
What would you do if a decision made by your team leader was going to cost the company money or business?

Interview Questions

• On the quiz, which consisted of verbal, math word problems, and puzzles or riddles, the verbal and math were easy sections. The puzzle section had questions like:

If you have a set of flowers. All but two are roses. All but two are carnations. All but two are tulips.

How many flowers do you have?
      View Answers (3)
  • How many minutes before 5:00 PM would it be if 50 minutes ago, it was four times as many minutes since 3 PM.   View Answers (4)

Project Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in January 2010.

Interview Details – Phone interview - easy
Personality/Skills tests - easy.
Got offer to fly to Madison, WI.
Flew there for 2 days, 1 night
On the day I was there, an employee took us to dinner.
Then the next day about 50+ prospectives were herded to HQ for 2-3 interviews, 1 case study (just behavioral, no math), 1 presentation, info sessions. I did badly on the 10-min presentation I think, which had 3 people watching. One guy just smirked at me the whole time. Then the HR person took me to her office to ask a series of trick/behavior questions.
Followed up promptly in 2 weeks and told me I was rejected :\

Pros: followed up fast, nice campus, good food
Cons: taxi driver said Epic brings in 50+ people to interview A DAY 5 days/wk (seems more like herding cattle), rather tedious interview process....:P...a lot of work to miss 3 days of class, presentation prep....

Interview Question – Five words to describe yourself.   Answer Question

Madison, WI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in August 2009.

Interview Details – I applied online for a position as a Project Manager, although the website has very vague job descriptions (intentionally, an employee told me) and I wasn't sure if that was exactly the best fit for me. I'm from the Milwaukee area and I had heard some good things (as well as a lot of negative things) about the company, which is why, as a recent college grad, I applied. Also, Madison is a great city, and I'd love to live there.

After I submitted my application, I was contacted within a couple of days about taking an online personality test and setting up a phone interview. The interview was pretty easy--it lasted only about a half an hour and the woman I spoke with was very nice. The personality test was a little strange. I'm not sure if they turn down people based solely on their responses to it, but I hope they don't, because I don't think it could possibly give them much useful information about the applicant.

A few days after the phone interview, I was emailed and asked to set up an on-site interview. The facilities are very nice, although it is way further outside of Madison than I had expected. Everyone I spoke to was friendly. And very young. I was given a quick, very uninformative tour and a company overview. Then I met with an HR person and had a rather short interview. He pretty much only asked situational questions. I would say it went pretty well, but then again he was so enthusiastic about literally everything I said/life in general, it was kind of hard to tell. After the interview I took three self-proctored tests, which took a little less than two hours, and were kind of tricky but nothing terrible.

Interview Question – Describe a time you had to be assertive.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The whole place gave me a weird vibe, to be honest. And mostly, I decided I wasn't terribly interested in working at a place with such an insane turn over rate.

Verona, WI

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in September 2009.

Interview Details – 1st round: On campus interview. Mostly behavioral questions, focusing somewhat on characteristics of being a leader and working in teams.. i.e. How would you handle a situation in which you were put in place as the leader of a team, but your three other equally experienced team members completely disagreed with you on a decision. Interviewer worked to make me feel comfortable. Interview lasted about 30 mins. Haven't heard back yet, but it has been less than a week. If chosen, the next step is an interview at their headquarters in Verona with some of the management. They are hiring a lot of college grads right now, as they can't find enough experienced people to fill their needs.

Interview Question – Now, if you were a member of a team, and you and your team members completely disagreed with the designated leader as to a decision he needed to make. How would you handle it?   Answer Question