Epic Systems Corporation Project Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jul 20, 2015

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Madison, WI) in October 2009.

Interview

The first phase of the process is a phone interview, which is easy and requires no preparation (they just verify resume info). Before the phone interview you also have to do an online personality test (also easy). The next step is they fly you over to Madison, which is a surprisingly lovely city. You're set up in a nice hotel and you can opt to have a free dinner with an Epic employee that night, which I did. This is where things start to go down hill as all the trappings of a fine-tuned, mass-interviewing apparatus become increasingly apparent. You don't get a one-on-one dinner. Instead, along come 5 or 6 other people, all interviewing for your same position the next day (that's okay though...Epic is such a large company that at any given time they've got to be hiring for multiple vacancies...so no worries yet). I had a blast at this dinner, really talking and getting to know my fellow interviewees. The Epic employee mentioned that only about 0.1% of applicants are hired at Epic, but that number sounded so bizarre as to not be plausible. I dismissed it. The next day my cab driver warned me that I "have a lot of competition," saying that for the past 3 years Epic has been interviewing 10-12 applicants per day, every working day of the year. I was not too worried by this, since afterall I love a challenge. The whole interview process consisted of 6 hours of a mix between them providing meinformation about the company/their software/the project management role, interspersed with verbal, math, and programming assessments, a project management interview/assessment (they give you a PM scenario and you have to identify the biggest problems and how you would address these problems), a 10-minutes presentation that you give on the topic of your choice, and a 1 on 1 interview with HR (this came last, and after getting up at 5am and going for 6 hours straight, it was difficult for me to answer her questions). During part of your day you're with a huge group of other interviewees, and many of the staff that speak to you seem bored (as if they've done this a thousand times). Overall, the whole experience seemed to be a waste of time giving the poor odds of actually being hired. If you do go on this interview I suggest giving it your all, but not investing too much of yourself in your prospect of being hired.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a team leader who is ineffective and consistently fails to meet deadlines?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Epic Systems Corporation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Verona, WI) in April 2015.

Interview

Long and difficult though I enjoyed meeting all of the people and learning about what the company does and how I could fit in and succeed at Epic. The travel to the company was very well done and the campus is beauttiful

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview

As many on here described, I received a short, 10 minute phone interview with a current Project Manager to learn more about the position and for him to get to know me. It was very brief and casual, and the guy on the phone was actually really chill

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Madison, WI) in March 2010.

Interview

I first had an on campus behavioral interview. After this interview, I was invited to an on-site interview in Madison. While there, I had a campus tour, an overview of the software, an overview of the position I was interviewing for, a one-on-one case interview for the position, a presentation, and a final interview with the HR person. Everyone was very nice and friendly throughout the process, and I felt like I learned a lot about what I would be doing at the company through their final round interview.

Interview Questions

I really liked the job that I interviewed for but I liked another company that I interviewed for better in terms of fit with the company.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in April 2010.

Interview

I actually applied back in September 2009 and was not accepted for an interview. I then was contacted by a recruiter and re-applied for the position. I then had a phone interview with a very friendly, personable and informative woman. She is a PM and seems to LOVE Epic. She warned me about the long hours and the travelling, but the benefits outweigh the negatives. It seemed as if she was trying to sell the company to me, when I already did my research and knew I wanted to work for it! I mean... why else would I apply? The phone interview was basic, talked about my resume, and a couple of personal experiences. Asked me about my "gap" in employment (it was only a month and only because I needed to find an internship to finish my Master's). I was definitely not expecting the SAT question... because it seems like that was years ago! I got the "where do you see yourself in 5 years" which is standard. The interviewer was extremely friendly though, which in terms of interviews, is very calming. Even after reading reviews about the interview and about Epic, I am still excited about the position and hopefully I will be able to get the call back to come to Wisconsin. There are some question/concerns that after readying the posts I am concerned with. I have a learning disability that, although I have an average GPA, affects my exam/test taking. How do they factor the learning disability into their exams/tests? Hopefully I'll get that second on-campus interview to get my answer!

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer
    • What were your SAT score/GRE scores? Average GPA in both Grad and Undergrad?   Answer Question
    • Why was there a gap in your employment?   1 Answer
    • Have you been applying to other jobs? Heard from any?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Madison, WI) in March 2010.

Interview

Pretty much like the others have said. First, a phone interview, basically a preliminary vetting. Then I was invited onsite to take a skills assessment. You're graded on both time and accuracy. It's basically a baby LSAT, so if you took that, you're in good shape. Finally, there was a day-long interview where they also introduce you to the Epic campus and product. This is where you do a case study and make a presentation, and go through a series of 1:1 interviews.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in January 2010.

Interview

Phone interview - easy Personality/Skills tests - easy. Got offer to fly to Madison, WI. Flew there for 2 days, 1 night On the day I was there, an employee took us to dinner. Then the next day about 50+ prospectives were herded to HQ for 2-3 interviews, 1 case study (just behavioral, no math), 1 presentation, info sessions. I did badly on the 10-min presentation I think, which had 3 people watching. One guy just smirked at me the whole time. Then the HR person took me to her office to ask a series of trick/behavior questions. Followed up promptly in 2 weeks and told me I was rejected :\ Pros: followed up fast, nice campus, good food Cons: taxi driver said Epic brings in 50+ people to interview A DAY 5 days/wk (seems more like herding cattle), rather tedious interview process....:P...a lot of work to miss 3 days of class, presentation prep....

Project Manager Interview

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in September 2009.

Interview

Epic recruited at my undergraduate business school. However, no interviews were conducted on campus. After collecting my resume at the career fair, I was invited to take an online aptitude test. After the completion of this test, I was contacted by HR to schedule a "phone interview." This was not an interview at all, but rather a 15 min conversation with a current employee in the same position describing what the job entailed. After this, I was asked if I was still interested in the position and then invited to an on-site interview at the headquarters in Wisconsin. For the onsite interview, I flew in the day before and stayed at a nice hotel at the company's expense. That night I also went out to dinner with a current employee to talk about the position and see the city. Early the next morning, I went to the campus. First we got a quick tour of the building, got a short demo of the software, and then was given a math, english, and programing test. Following this, I conducted a case interview. Next, I was required to deliver a 10 min presentation I had prepared ahead of time to 5 employees, then lunch at the campus. Following this was a short interview with someone in HR.

Interview Questions

• Interview questions tended to be behavioral, pretty much same-old from every other interview you've had. A few "trick" questions in the testing, but if you're bright enough to get an offer you should get most or all of them.   Answer Question

The company has received mixed reviews to work for, and the position I was offered was outside of my real interests. Appears to be little room to advance or move within the company as well, but hard to say without working there.

Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Verona, WI) in September 2009.

Interview

1st round: On campus interview. Mostly behavioral questions, focusing somewhat on characteristics of being a leader and working in teams.. i.e. How would you handle a situation in which you were put in place as the leader of a team, but your three other equally experienced team members completely disagreed with you on a decision. Interviewer worked to make me feel comfortable. Interview lasted about 30 mins. Haven't heard back yet, but it has been less than a week. If chosen, the next step is an interview at their headquarters in Verona with some of the management. They are hiring a lot of college grads right now, as they can't find enough experienced people to fill their needs.

Interview Questions

• Now, if you were a member of a team, and you and your team members completely disagreed with the designated leader as to a decision he needed to make. How would you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Madison, WI) in January 2007.

Interview

I was asked to complete a phone interview and "logic" test. The test has two parts. One is basic logic, the second is basic programming logic. The programming portion is not technical, and can be done by anyone, its just an evaluation of your ability to comprehend new arbitrary rule sets. Next is an onsite interview where you're asked to do a 10 min. presentation to a group on any topic you choose. This is to evaluate your presentation skills, and should focus on concisely and logically presenting a topic to the panel as if you're introducing them to the subject for the first time (not teaching them, just introducing them to something new). Be prepared to answer a lot of questions during the presentation. The one on one interview are all about your ability to manage projects, and are mostly situational. Epic is notorious for formula's. You are hired or denied based on a combination of your test scores, your college GPA (weighted depending on the reputation of your college), and the evaluators marks on your in person interviews. Accordingly, you need not apply unless your GPA is good for your school (3.5 and above for most people is probably a fair assumption) and you can handle doing well on a test unprepared. You can always exaggerate your GPA if you're worried that you might be below the bar.

Interview Questions

• The interview went through and asked what each on of my references would say is my greatest weakness and strength.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There isn't any chance for negotiation. All new hires start with the same salary offer depending on your position. If you have relevant expertise, such as work history in the medical field or programming skills you should receive a higher offer, but I suspect that's set through a pre determined formula and not negotiation.