Epic Systems Corporation

Updated Aug 10, 2014

Average Difficulty
135 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Madison, WI

The process took a day - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in January 2010.

Interview Details – Was approached through school Career center where I had posted my resume. After the phone interview, I was flown out to Madison for on-site interview. Full day of getting to know the company and interviewing with a variety of people. A lot of questions based on your personality rather than past job experience. I felt like they had already decided that I was competent and was deciding if I would fit in.

Interview Question – Tell me 5 things you are not.   Answer Question

Project Manager

The process took a day - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in September 2009.

Interview Details – Epic recruited at my undergraduate business school. However, no interviews were conducted on campus. After collecting my resume at the career fair, I was invited to take an online aptitude test. After the completion of this test, I was contacted by HR to schedule a "phone interview." This was not an interview at all, but rather a 15 min conversation with a current employee in the same position describing what the job entailed. After this, I was asked if I was still interested in the position and then invited to an on-site interview at the headquarters in Wisconsin.

For the onsite interview, I flew in the day before and stayed at a nice hotel at the company's expense. That night I also went out to dinner with a current employee to talk about the position and see the city. Early the next morning, I went to the campus. First we got a quick tour of the building, got a short demo of the software, and then was given a math, english, and programing test. Following this, I conducted a case interview. Next, I was required to deliver a 10 min presentation I had prepared ahead of time to 5 employees, then lunch at the campus. Following this was a short interview with someone in HR.

Interview Question – Interview questions tended to be behavioral, pretty much same-old from every other interview you've had. A few "trick" questions in the testing, but if you're bright enough to get an offer you should get most or all of them.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The company has received mixed reviews to work for, and the position I was offered was outside of my real interests. Appears to be little room to advance or move within the company as well, but hard to say without working there.

Madison, WI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in January 2007.

Interview Details – I was asked to complete a phone interview and "logic" test. The test has two parts. One is basic logic, the second is basic programming logic. The programming portion is not technical, and can be done by anyone, its just an evaluation of your ability to comprehend new arbitrary rule sets. Next is an onsite interview where you're asked to do a 10 min. presentation to a group on any topic you choose. This is to evaluate your presentation skills, and should focus on concisely and logically presenting a topic to the panel as if you're introducing them to the subject for the first time (not teaching them, just introducing them to something new). Be prepared to answer a lot of questions during the presentation. The one on one interview are all about your ability to manage projects, and are mostly situational.

Epic is notorious for formula's. You are hired or denied based on a combination of your test scores, your college GPA (weighted depending on the reputation of your college), and the evaluators marks on your in person interviews. Accordingly, you need not apply unless your GPA is good for your school (3.5 and above for most people is probably a fair assumption) and you can handle doing well on a test unprepared. You can always exaggerate your GPA if you're worried that you might be below the bar.

Interview Question – The interview went through and asked what each on of my references would say is my greatest weakness and strength.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There isn't any chance for negotiation. All new hires start with the same salary offer depending on your position. If you have relevant expertise, such as work history in the medical field or programming skills you should receive a higher offer, but I suspect that's set through a pre determined formula and not negotiation.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Madison, WI

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in December 2008.

Interview Details – First there was an interview at my school. Second round was on site with three separate one on one interview. One was with HR the rest with people in your possible position. Questions were basic behavioral type. One question I got asked is: What are three things you are not?

Interview Question – What are three things you are not?   Answer Question

Project Manager

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in March 2009.

Interview Details – I had received an email from someone in Epic's HR department stating that they viewed my resume through Monster.com and if I was interested in a position to email them back. I did and then I was emailed again to shedule a phone interview upon completing a skills test prior to the interview. I did the assessment then I emailed back with my availability which was all during the same week. When my phone interview date arrived I received a call from a current project manager not an HR person. He explained this was because Epic wanted me to get a feel for the type of position I was applying for. The interview was a bit awkward as he was mainly discussing his responsibilities and hardly asked me any HR related questions. He then said that Epic will send me an email regarding the next step in the selection process. I received an email that following week stating that I was no longer considered for the position and they weren't allowed to tell me why. I was so confused.

Interview Question – How do you feel about working long hours?   View Answer

Verona, WI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in August 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process was pretty straightforward. First a recruiter contacted me via monster.com, asking me to apply for a position based on my resume. Next, I applied and was asked to take a personality/aptitude test. Next I was contacted via email to schedule a phone interview. Next I was flown out to Madison for a tour of the campus and a series of 1on1 interviews as well as some exams. Still have not heard back from them as of yet.

Interview Question – Whee do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Project Manager

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in April 2010.

Interview Details – I actually applied back in September 2009 and was not accepted for an interview. I then was contacted by a recruiter and re-applied for the position. I then had a phone interview with a very friendly, personable and informative woman. She is a PM and seems to LOVE Epic. She warned me about the long hours and the travelling, but the benefits outweigh the negatives. It seemed as if she was trying to sell the company to me, when I already did my research and knew I wanted to work for it! I mean... why else would I apply? The phone interview was basic, talked about my resume, and a couple of personal experiences. Asked me about my "gap" in employment (it was only a month and only because I needed to find an internship to finish my Master's). I was definitely not expecting the SAT question... because it seems like that was years ago! I got the "where do you see yourself in 5 years" which is standard. The interviewer was extremely friendly though, which in terms of interviews, is very calming. Even after reading reviews about the interview and about Epic, I am still excited about the position and hopefully I will be able to get the call back to come to Wisconsin.

There are some question/concerns that after readying the posts I am concerned with. I have a learning disability that, although I have an average GPA, affects my exam/test taking. How do they factor the learning disability into their exams/tests? Hopefully I'll get that second on-campus interview to get my answer!

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   View Answer
  • What were your SAT score/GRE scores? Average GPA in both Grad and Undergrad?   Answer Question
  • Why was there a gap in your employment?   View Answer
  • Have you been applying to other jobs? Heard from any?   View Answer

Madison, WI

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in March 2010.

Interview Details – Pretty much like the others have said.

First, a phone interview, basically a preliminary vetting.

Then I was invited onsite to take a skills assessment. You're graded on both time and accuracy. It's basically a baby LSAT, so if you took that, you're in good shape.

Finally, there was a day-long interview where they also introduce you to the Epic campus and product. This is where you do a case study and make a presentation, and go through a series of 1:1 interviews.

Interview Question – What are 5 things you are not?   Answer Question

Madison, WI

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in March 2010.

Interview Details – I first had an on campus behavioral interview. After this interview, I was invited to an on-site interview in Madison. While there, I had a campus tour, an overview of the software, an overview of the position I was interviewing for, a one-on-one case interview for the position, a presentation, and a final interview with the HR person. Everyone was very nice and friendly throughout the process, and I felt like I learned a lot about what I would be doing at the company through their final round interview.

Interview Question – What are 5 things that you're not?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I really liked the job that I interviewed for but I liked another company that I interviewed for better in terms of fit with the company.

Madison, WI

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in April 2010.

Interview Details – It was a real pain. Everything took forever to finally get done. First I had to complete a laid back phone interview, then I had to take a ridiculous skills test with ridiculous LSAT type logic questions. Then I had a simple 1 on 1 interview in Wisconsin and they hired me.

Interview Questions