Epic Systems Corporation Quality Assurance Interview Questions

Updated Aug 6, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Madison, WI).

Interview

There were a lot of stages to the interview process and a seemingly endless number of hoops to go through - phone interviews, online tests, proctored exams, even personality tests. After all that, I was offered an all expense paid trip out to their headquarters for an on-site interview. The night before when they took several of us interviewees out to dinner, I was told to "pretty much expect a job offer" because I'd made it that far. The "interview" itself felt more like a college campus visit. Lots of tours and informational meetings herded around with other mostly fresh college grads, interspersed by a few short interviews. It seemed to go well, I thought. I remember feeling pretty positive about the nuts and bolts (what I knew, and the practice scenarios), but I was unsure how well I'd fit into their office culture. A week or so later they left me a no-explanations voice-mail that they were going to go with other candidates. It's a big company composed mostly of extroverted young people. Lots of quirky architecture, clubs, and campus events. I've realized I really wouldn't have fit in well and being around so many highly-social people would probably drained me - I'm an introvert who'd rather spend my lunch break eating in my cubical with a book than in a massive dining hall "networking". I'm guessing that was the biggest mark against me. I was shy, quiet, and not super-social. I really really wish they hadn't acted so thrilled about me before and during the interview though. I quit applying to other jobs because I'd been told they were pretty much a sure thing, then out of the blue they dropped me and I was left at square one. I'm kind of pissed they took up so much of my time when they probably could have realized I wasn't a good fit early on. Main advice to other applicants: Keep your guard up even though they're acting all nice. With a company so big, it costs them nothing to run you through the process even if they choose to drop you for someone else in the end.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Epic Systems Corporation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Verona, WI) in June 2015.

Interview

First Step: Personality Test - the standard "choose which phrase best describes you" model. Takes about 20 minutes to complete. It's not easy to choose the answers you think they will like the most, so the best way to complete this is to just answer honestly. Second Step: Phone Screen - conversation about your background as listed on your resume. Takes about 30 minutes (longer if you want to ask a lot of questions). This was a very casual conversation with a member of the Quality Assurance team (not HR) where we talked a bit about what I enjoy and about life living in Madison and working at Epic. Third Step: Skills Assessment - a proctored exam where you answer programming questions, word problems, and data analysis questions. Very similar to other standardized exams like the SAT. Takes about 3 hours or less to complete. There is no need to study for this exam either. It's just testing skills you already know. You do not have to understand programming in order to figure out the programming questions. Fourth Step: Dinner with Epic Employee (optional) - Once invited to fly out to Madison (for free), you will have the option to have dinner with an Epic employee the night before your interview. You meet the employee for dinner along with a few other candidates who may or may not be applying to your position (even if the other candidate is applying for the same position, this does not mean that you're competing with them for a single job). I was in a group with 3 other candidates for my dinner. Dress casually (jeans are absolutely acceptable...shorts and sandals are too). You have the opportunity to ask as many questions as you can/want during the dinner. Fifth Step: Interviews at Epic - Dress causally for the interview (a nice pair of dark jeans and a blouse for women, khakis and a polo for men). I began my day of interviews at 9:45am and ended around 2pm. You can get breakfast beforehand at the hotel (for free) or at Epic (also free). You catch a taxi either alone or with another candidate and it takes about 40 minutes to get from the hotel to Epic. The day starts off with a small group meeting (with 5-7 other candidates from various positions) that includes a software demonstration and Q&A. You are being analyzed by every employee you come in contact with, so be sure to ask good questions and be attentive and polite to everyone. Then you talk with an employee that works in Quality Assurance (I was with two other candidates for the QA position). She/he explains the position and what it includes and then you analyze an object (in my case, a coffee cup) and come up with questions on how you could make sure the quality of the object is okay (i.e. Is it safe to drink from the coffee cup? Will the liquid pour our onto your lap if you try to drink from it?). You and the other candidates just have to collaborate and build off each other with your questions. You also have time to ask the QA employee questions about the position and what it entails. After that, you have lunch at the dining hall with another QA employee. This is a time to have a group conversation with the employee and other QA candidates. We talked about literature and environmental concerns during my lunch. This is a bit like the dinner the night before. I was with 3 other QA candidates for lunch. Next is the tour of the campus. This part is quite fun and you just have to listen as you go through the different parts of the campus. Make sure you think of your favorite part of the tour as your HR interviewer might ask you about the tour. You have to do a bit of walking, so wear comfortable shoes (I would not recommend high heels unless they are comfortable for you). You go with the same group that you have lunch with, but the QA person leaves you and an HR person leads the tour. When the tour is finished, you'll be lead to a one on one interview with another QA employee. You will be asked to read a sheet with a list of 5 or so different situations (listening to a voicemail, answering an email, talking with your team leader). You will have about 5 minutes to read this (alone) and then come up with a plan of action for getting these situations/tasks/issues solved. I would recommend using the scratch sheet of paper to organize your thoughts. The QA employee will come back into the room and she/he will ask you different questions about your plan. You might also talk a bit about your previous experience and how you would handle different situations at work. Finally, you have your exit interview with your HR representative. He/she will ask you questions about your background, your references, and how you would handle yourself as both a team leader and a team member (see questions below). Be sure to know a strength and a weakness that each of your references would attribute to you. After you finish, you take a taxi back to the airport (either alone or with other candidates) or you can spend time exploring campus.

Interview Questions

• Would you say you are a person that talks too much and listens too little or vice versa?   1 Answer
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer
    • On a scale of 1-10 how assertive are you?   1 Answer
    • If you are a project group member and you believe the project should be taken one way and the team leader is taking it in a different direction, what do you do?   1 Answer
    • What would you do if you want to take an action but your team disagrees with you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Verona, WI).

Interview

1. Online application submitted 2. Received an email the next business day to set up phone interview, included information to complete an online personality test and set up a time to do a skills assessment 3. Set up phone interview for 2 days later 4. Phone interview - consisted of going over your resume and any projects you have done. A good chance to ask any questions that you have about the company and the position 5. Took skills assessment the next day online (someone watches you through your webcam - very weird)! 6. Received an email 2 days later saying that they got my skills assessment and were reviewing it along with my application, and would contact me within 1 to 2 weeks 7. Email received 3 days later inviting me for interview 8. Interview set up for later that week 9. Went to on-site interview which lasted about 4 hours and consisted of a software demonstration, Q&A session, tour, case study (easy), lunch, and interview with HR 10. Offered a job a few days later and graciously accepted!

Interview Questions

• Would you say you are a person that talks too much and listens too little or vice versa?   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Interview

Interview

Interview was fine but I spent too much time on the skills assessment. Seems like a great company, but not really my field. The interviewer was very nice. He answered all of my questions and made the company sound very fun and welcoming. I might apply again in a year or two.

Quality Assurance Interview

Interview

A phone interview, a few assessments, and an on-site interview. It was a typical interview process. I am going in for my on-site interview soon and will know more about what will be expected before I see if I get an offer.

Quality Assurance Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in March 2015.

Interview

Straightforward phone interview. Mainly to confirm things on resume. I am currently still waiting for them to respond after the phone interview. They also have you set up a remembrandt profile and take a skills assessment through ProctorU.

Interview Questions

• Still in the process, waiting for response from phone interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Madison, WI) in March 2015.

Interview

Sent in my resume via a reference in the company. They emailed me a few days later to schedule an phone interview. The phone interview is pretty straight forward and has no confusing/trick questions. After the phone interview I was emailed and asked to schedule a time to come in for an on-site interview. They paid for the flight, hotel, and food for the days I was there. Once on campus, I was given an introduction to the software and then an introduction to the position given by an employee in the QA position. It was then followed by a case study which asks questions about managing people and team members with different personalities. It was then followed by lunch and an exit interview with HR.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No real negotiation, entry level salaries are normally non-negotiable unless you have a graduate degree or previous work experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Madison, WI) in March 2015.

Interview

I originally applied to be a technical writer through my university's job board. I got a call for a phone interview, which mostly focused on what I liked about my previous jobs. After a personality test, they said I'd do better in QA. The personality test was just like any other you'd find, and there was another test proctored via webcam. That one focused on math and had some programming concepts thrown in. Not too long after that, I was invited up to Madison. They brought in about 10 of us for interviews that day. They gave us a tour and we spoke with people in the positions we were applying for. At the time, they also interviewed me for Project Manager, so I went through a go live scenario and had to do a presentation. For QA, I had to explain how I'd prioritize tasks throughout the day. There was a real HR interview near the end of the day, but it wasn't too difficult either.

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Madison, WI) in March 2015.

Interview

The actual phone interview was very brief - they mainly share details on the position. Questions cover your resume, and why you think you would be a good fit. Besides the interview though, you must take a personality test and an IQ-type test. The IQ test is fairly difficult; I think that's what got me. Wish they asked more questions, but it seems they are more concerned with the test results.

Quality Assurance Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview

I was interviewed via phone and then asked to take two assessments. One of the assessments was general kind of reading comprehension etc and the second assessment was programming (very hard for someone who does not have a software background) Then I was invited to an in person interview

Interview Questions

• They asked a lot of behavioral/personality based questions. There was also a case study on how one might handle a list of tasks with varying levels of priority.   Answer Question