Epic Systems Corporation Quality Assurance Interview Questions & Reviews

51 interviews

2.9

51 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Quality Assurance Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in July 2014.

Started with a very brief phone interview and then completed a series of online testing and writing samples. Got invited to come for an on-site interview and they paid for all expenses. Overall it was very well-run and a positive experience. The campus is really cool and the people are all very nice. Do dress casually.

Other Interview Reviews for Epic Systems Corporation

Anonymous Employee  in  Madison, WI
    Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Application, phone screening, assessment tests, on-site tour/interview. From app to on-site took about a month.

On-site had multiple aspects to it, including overview of the company, small-group meeting with current QA, tour, and meeting with HR.

It does become a very long day, so be prepared to be energetic at all times. Everyone who I encountered was very welcoming and helpful.

Anonymous Employee  in  Verona, WI
    Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interesting, they let you check some of their code and asked a couple problem solving questions in addition to the behavioral questions. They mostly recruit directly out of college, looking for new hires they can mold in their mindset and system. You will speak with an HR person on the phone first, then have a phone interview with an employee in the department to which you applied

Interview Questions
    • They had a coding challenge to see if you can get a hang of their system   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Madison, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I interviewed online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in June 2014.

First is a straightforward phone interview. Then the most difficult part of the whole process is the online test. They are complete problem solving questions along with a few grammar questions. The programming part was difficult for me having no experience in the area, but that wasn't necessary for this position.

Interview Questions
    • What would your reference say your strength and weakness is.
      5 things you are not.
      Asked how you would deal with certain situations with coworkers.
        Answer Question
    Did not try to negotiate, was happy with the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in January 2013.

I applied for technical writing but interviewed for both technical writing and QA, so this will be a review of the interview process for both.
    I applied online via Epic's website, though I was simultaneously referred to Epic by my partner who had just started working there. In a few day's time I was contacted by a recruiter who had me fill out a Rembrandt personality profile and complete a timed writing sample. The writing prompt wouldn't be revealed until the timer was started, and I had no idea what to expect I'd be writing about. It ended up being to write a book review of a my own autobiography, which threw me for a loop. Desperate to come up with something, I ended up writing about some personal and not-so-pleasant aspects of my life which, on top of being pretty embarrassing, I felt I had described so poorly that I was certain they wouldn't be contacting me to move forward for the phone interview.
    Needless to say I was pretty surprised when I got an email asking to schedule a phone interview with one of the writers. The phone interview was about as basic as phone interviews get - he asked about me, my professional experiences, why I wanted to work at Epic, and also gave me some general background on what technical writers at Epic do. I think it took about 20 minutes in all.
    After the phone interview, I was offered the on-site interview, which is very long but not incredibly difficult (if you're coming right out of college like most Epic applicants, it's definitely stressful, though). I actually got food poisoning the night before my interview and couldn't make my originally scheduled date, but they were glad to reschedule for the next day.
    For the on-site interview, you'll spend part of the day in a small group with other candidates for the tour, a demo of Epic software, and lunch. You start with a tour of Epic's campus, which is pretty impressive the first time you see it (it wears away the longer you work there... believe me), then you'll go into a small conference room and get the demo. Then they'll take you off to lunch in Cassiopeia, Epic's main dining hall, where you'll have a casual conversation with the employee who brought you there (who may or may not be in the role you're applying for) as well as your fellow candidates. The tough stuff is saved for the afternoon, where you'll spend a few hours doing an HR interview, a technical/skills interview with a person in the role you're applying for, an aptitude test (questions similar to the SAT), and, in the case of technical writing, a technical writing test.

After my day was up, I waited about a week before Epic contacted me to say they wanted to bring me back for a second interview, but this time for a Quality Assurance position instead of technical writing. I accepted, and soon after I came back to Epic's campus to repeat pretty much exactly the same process I had completed before; luckily, I didn't have to retake the aptitude test, and the technical writing test was replaced with some QA-specific assessments. Me and two other QA candidates were interviewed briefly by a QAer and asked how we would QA a pen he set down in front of us, and later, I was given a sheet of paper with a "typical Epic workday" scenario on it that asked me how I would prioritize the issues that came up in the scenario. I talked them over one-on-one with a different QAer.

After that, my interview was over, and in about a week, Epic contacted me to make an offer.

Interview Questions
    • For technical writing - be prepared to write anything for the initial timed writing assessment, don't assume it will be a technical writing prompt. Be prepared to write something like "a book review of your own autobiography".
      For QA - be prepared to think about how you would prioritize tasks. I wasn't ready for this and hadn't given any thought to it and I felt like that kind of showed in my interview. If you're coming right out of college, be especially prepared for this since prioritizing issues is likely not something you've had to deal with regularly.
        Answer Question
    I had heard that Epic doesn't negotiate and I didn't want to press my luck trying to find out if it was true. I accepted what they offered.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in May 2014.

The interview was pretty easy. I did a phone interview, which was quite easy. He talked about my background, and tried to get a read on what a good role fit would be for me. I think he wanted to see what position I would fit best in, and to gauge what my strengths were. Next step, was an assessment. I did my assessment on ProctorU. I had to take 5 assessments, which took roughly 2 hours. Then I was invited there for an on-site interview. They fly you in the day before, put you up in a swanky hotel, and offer to have an employee treat you to dinner and show you the town. It was pretty fun, and I enjoyed the courting process. The next morning, they'll get you to the campus at 8-9ish. I was given a very short overview of the software, led on a tour, overviewed the positions, did case studies, ate lunch, did another assessment, had an HR interview and sent home.

Interview Questions
    • The Programming Assessment. I didn't know there would be an assessment of my actual programming knowledge. It's fairly easy, but I didn't know any programming, so I obviously found it quite difficult.   View Answer
    There is no negotiation. You are asked what you are looking for in terms of compensation during the HR interview of the on-site interview. I gave my rep a figure and she told me that both positions I was applying for paid more than the figure I gave (50,000).

Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in April 2014.

Was contacted by Epic HR through a recruiting website for members of my university. I was prompted to fill out an online application, followed by a phone interview with a current employee, followed by an online skills assessment and personality test. I got a call within a week of completing the skills test from Epic HR saying they'd like me to come up for an (all expenses paid) on-site interview, as well as consider me for other positions. Still going through the interview process, it has been is rather long.

Interview Questions
    • Brushing up on algebra and learning some of the (very) basics about programming would help with the skills test.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

First, was the phone interview which is just a basic half an hour interview where someone from their team asks you typical interview questions. Be prepared to ask questions. Depending on when you receive the email you must take an assessment either before or after the phone interview. It's a basic assessment and there is a technical portion with programming. You will be okay if you've had any exposure to coding.

After the assessment, if you do well then you get invited to their onsite interview. Their accommodations really speak at how thorough and involved everyone is in the process. At the onsite interview they have everything planned out for you. The first half of the interview is not exactly an interview as they get you acclimated to the company and introduce you to people to speak about the position you are applying for. Either before or after lunch, you will get a tour of the building. Finally a case study with an employee is an interview that really pertains to your position. After you meet with your recruiter to wrap things up and depending on your travel plans, they will arrange for you to go back to the hotel or the airport. Everything is so well coordinated, it's absolutely fantastic.

Throughout your entire day at Epic it's good to remember that they are essentially interviewing you the entire time. Everyone you speak seems to have an impact on whether you get the job. Just hold yourself well the entire time, smile and be positive.

Epic is also extremely casual. Their employees pretty much wear jeans and whatever they want. They specifically tell you not to dress up too much (no suit) so you can wear khakis or jeans. Even though I was interviewing, watching someone walk in with a suit really throws you off and if I was an employee I would think that the kid didn't know how to follow instructions. And remember, just because you stayed the night at the hotel, doesn't mean that you shouldn't shower in the morning or comb your hair regardless of gender. Some people really look like they simply rolled out of bed. Physical appearances do make an impression.

Interview Questions
    • The questions are basic interview questions and depending on your position you should be able to answer the specific case study questions. They should be intuitive.   Answer Question
    No negotiation but salary was higher than anticipated.

Anonymous Employee  in  Madison, WI
    Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in April 2014.

Phone call, online tests, 1 week later flown to Madison.
    2 interviews, 1 case study, lunch, tour of campus HR interview.
    There were a lot of other people there that were also interview. The company was really nice. The campus is very unique and interesting.
    Other positions had more difficult interviews. I think QA's was probably the easiest.

Got another offer

Quality Assurance Interview

I had an initial phone interview, which lasted about 20 minutes. They just went over my resume and confirmed details with me. I also had the opportunity to ask questions related to the position. After that, I was invited to take the online assessment. This was proctored via skype, so it did get a bit awkward. I found the assessment extremely difficult, and actually was rejected after they received my results. However, a couple weeks later I was contacted again and told that they would like to continue with me, and invited me for an on-site interview. The interview lasted from the morning to afternoon. It was a series of tours, information sessions, and three one-on-one interviews. I found the experience to be really nice. I got to meet a bunch of other people that were interviewing for positions at Epic too--which was a bit scary considering how many of them there were. Overall, I found my experience to be quite pleasant, and really liked how easy-going everyone at Epic was. They made interviewing that much easier.

Interview Questions
    • They asked the usual questions expected during an interview.   Answer Question

Worked for Epic Systems Corporation? Contribute to the Community!