Epic Systems Corporation

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Average Difficulty
50 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Verona, WI

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in October 2010.

Interview Details – I was contacted on Monster to apply for quality assurance in august. I applied. a week or so later they contacted me that they wanted to phone interview. I did a phone interview about a week and a half later. After the phone interview they wanted me to take a test. Since I live in Texas, they had someone from my career services at my University administer it to me. It was a pretty long test. They then told me about a week later that I got the interview. I then scheduled the interview in mid october. I went to eat with an employee and some candidates and then the next day had my day of interviews and presentations.

Interview Question – If you were in a situation where you needed someones help but they were out of town what would you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate because i felt it was a solid offer

Quality Assurance

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in November 2010.

Interview Details – Started off with a phone interview. Caught me off guard since they never contacted me previously. This was really just a basic screening. Next they told me that I had to take a personality test, and would also be taking a number of assessments at a nearby testing center. The assessments weren't too difficult, but they take time and accuracy into consideration, so precision is necessary. Next, they invited me for an on-site interview. They flew me out to Madison and put me up in a hotel. I went out to dinner the night before my interview with two Epic employees (married) and about five other applicants. They answered any questions and paid for dinner which was nice. The actual interview started at about 9am the next day. First they gave us a demo of their software. We then met in small groups with someone that holds the position we were applying for. They just gave us a basic rundown of what a Quality Assurance consists of. Next was a 1:1 interview with the recruiter, followed by a 1:1 interview with a Quality Assurance specialist. This interview started with them giving you a picture of an object and asking you to write as many things as possible that it could be used for in two minutes. A series of situational and behavioral questions followed. We ate lunch in their massive cafeteria following these two interviews. After lunch was a final 1:1 interview with the recruiter, and a(nother!) two minute timed test (they seem to love these). They said that they would get back to me in 1-2 weeks. Called 2 weeks later to inform me that they were moving on with other candidates.

Interview Questions

Madison, WI

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in January 2011.

Interview Details – I originally applied for a technical services position. This consisted of a phone interview, personality test, and series of tests sent out for me to take at a local testing center. A few weeks later they invited me to fly out to interview instead for a QA role. They paid for all expenses to get me to Madison, WI. The day there was long, consisting of a few interviews and tests (math, grammar, etc.). Overall a very extensive process.

Interview Questions

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Verona, WI

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in April 2011.

Interview Details – The process I went through consisted of myself applying online followed by an email asking me to complete an online assessment. Once that was completed I was further emailed to set up a phone interview. I did the phone interview was felt successful, so the interviewer invited me for a site visit and further interviewing and testing. A week later I drove to Epic ( I live nearby) and was at the place for about six hours. The campus is quite large. Clearly ill people have lots of money and Epic likes to show off. The day consisted of a brief tour followed by an overview of the software (Hyperspace). I then had my interview which I felt well prepared for because I had read lots of feedback on this site from other reviews. The interview was followed by me taking 3 or 4 more assessment tests. Written Assessments. It included grammar testing, math testing and computer programming testing. While I felt I did a decent job, I was competing with people who were there all the way from Portland to the other Portland.
A week later my interview called me and told me they were moving forward with other candidates.

Feedback for others: I felt I did a very professional job in my preparation and in the interview process. But their decision I believe was based solely on how I did on the tests. No doubt some people did it faster than I could. Note that they do ask for your college transcripts. So if you enter a false GPA in your application (I did not) you are so screwed. I also encourage everyone to apply for more than one position so you have the best possible chances.

Interview Question – How would you rate your self from 1-10 on an assertiveness scale?   Answer Question

Madison, WI

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in May 2012.

Interview Details – I found Epic to be very organized and efficient at moving through the interview process. I had a phone interview and a little over a week later was invited to an onsite interview. Epic was great about setting up travel plans and covering costs. I had to go in to take tests the day before my interview for about three hours and my interview day was from 8:30 am - 4:00 pm, so it is a long process.

My only real frustration of the day was not hearing any negatives about positions. Employees were overwhelmingly positive about all aspects of their jobs (the hours, training, etc.). Maybe they really are just completely satisfied, but I questioned this a little.

I was told that the dress code was casual so I wore jeans, a cardigan and comfortable shoes and was glad that I did! I didn't feel under-dressed at all. I would say this is one interview where it is actually worse to be overdressed.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in five years?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I did not wait to hear if I was offered the job because I was offered a job in a different city that I was more interested in.

Quality Assurance

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in November 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online and was invited for an in-person interview. They had us take a couple tests on quantitative and verbal skills, as well as personality test. Most of the staff seems young. Ambiance was very casual. No one in my group showed up in typical interview attire. The company paid for transportation, lodging, and food.

Interview Question – If you were part of team working with a client and you realized your coworker was telling the client something that not accurate, what would you do?   Answer Question

Verona, WI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in December 2013.

Interview Details – Everyone was very efficient, it felt a bit like a cattle-call with so many people interviewing at once for the same position.

Interview Question – What would you do if your team lead wants to do something which you disagree with? What would you do if you want to take an action but your team disagrees with you.   Answer Question

Verona, WI

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in January 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for technical writing but interviewed for both technical writing and QA, so this will be a review of the interview process for both.
I applied online via Epic's website, though I was simultaneously referred to Epic by my partner who had just started working there. In a few day's time I was contacted by a recruiter who had me fill out a Rembrandt personality profile and complete a timed writing sample. The writing prompt wouldn't be revealed until the timer was started, and I had no idea what to expect I'd be writing about. It ended up being to write a book review of a my own autobiography, which threw me for a loop. Desperate to come up with something, I ended up writing about some personal and not-so-pleasant aspects of my life which, on top of being pretty embarrassing, I felt I had described so poorly that I was certain they wouldn't be contacting me to move forward for the phone interview.
Needless to say I was pretty surprised when I got an email asking to schedule a phone interview with one of the writers. The phone interview was about as basic as phone interviews get - he asked about me, my professional experiences, why I wanted to work at Epic, and also gave me some general background on what technical writers at Epic do. I think it took about 20 minutes in all.
After the phone interview, I was offered the on-site interview, which is very long but not incredibly difficult (if you're coming right out of college like most Epic applicants, it's definitely stressful, though). I actually got food poisoning the night before my interview and couldn't make my originally scheduled date, but they were glad to reschedule for the next day.
For the on-site interview, you'll spend part of the day in a small group with other candidates for the tour, a demo of Epic software, and lunch. You start with a tour of Epic's campus, which is pretty impressive the first time you see it (it wears away the longer you work there... believe me), then you'll go into a small conference room and get the demo. Then they'll take you off to lunch in Cassiopeia, Epic's main dining hall, where you'll have a casual conversation with the employee who brought you there (who may or may not be in the role you're applying for) as well as your fellow candidates. The tough stuff is saved for the afternoon, where you'll spend a few hours doing an HR interview, a technical/skills interview with a person in the role you're applying for, an aptitude test (questions similar to the SAT), and, in the case of technical writing, a technical writing test.

After my day was up, I waited about a week before Epic contacted me to say they wanted to bring me back for a second interview, but this time for a Quality Assurance position instead of technical writing. I accepted, and soon after I came back to Epic's campus to repeat pretty much exactly the same process I had completed before; luckily, I didn't have to retake the aptitude test, and the technical writing test was replaced with some QA-specific assessments. Me and two other QA candidates were interviewed briefly by a QAer and asked how we would QA a pen he set down in front of us, and later, I was given a sheet of paper with a "typical Epic workday" scenario on it that asked me how I would prioritize the issues that came up in the scenario. I talked them over one-on-one with a different QAer.

After that, my interview was over, and in about a week, Epic contacted me to make an offer.

Interview Question – For technical writing - be prepared to write anything for the initial timed writing assessment, don't assume it will be a technical writing prompt. Be prepared to write something like "a book review of your own autobiography".
For QA - be prepared to think about how you would prioritize tasks. I wasn't ready for this and hadn't given any thought to it and I felt like that kind of showed in my interview. If you're coming right out of college, be especially prepared for this since prioritizing issues is likely not something you've had to deal with regularly.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I had heard that Epic doesn't negotiate and I didn't want to press my luck trying to find out if it was true. I accepted what they offered.

Verona, WI

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in May 2014.

Interview Details – The interview was pretty easy. I did a phone interview, which was quite easy. He talked about my background, and tried to get a read on what a good role fit would be for me. I think he wanted to see what position I would fit best in, and to gauge what my strengths were. Next step, was an assessment. I did my assessment on ProctorU. I had to take 5 assessments, which took roughly 2 hours. Then I was invited there for an on-site interview. They fly you in the day before, put you up in a swanky hotel, and offer to have an employee treat you to dinner and show you the town. It was pretty fun, and I enjoyed the courting process. The next morning, they'll get you to the campus at 8-9ish. I was given a very short overview of the software, led on a tour, overviewed the positions, did case studies, ate lunch, did another assessment, had an HR interview and sent home.

Interview Question – The Programming Assessment. I didn't know there would be an assessment of my actual programming knowledge. It's fairly easy, but I didn't know any programming, so I obviously found it quite difficult.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. You are asked what you are looking for in terms of compensation during the HR interview of the on-site interview. I gave my rep a figure and she told me that both positions I was applying for paid more than the figure I gave (50,000).

Madison, WI

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in June 2014.

Interview Details – First is a straightforward phone interview. Then the most difficult part of the whole process is the online test. They are complete problem solving questions along with a few grammar questions. The programming part was difficult for me having no experience in the area, but that wasn't necessary for this position.

Interview Question – What would your reference say your strength and weakness is.
5 things you are not.
Asked how you would deal with certain situations with coworkers.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not try to negotiate, was happy with the offer.

Worked for Epic Systems Corporation? Contribute to the Community!