Epic Systems Corporation

Updated Feb 17, 2015
Updated Feb 17, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in October 2010.

I was contacted on Monster to apply for quality assurance in august. I applied. a week or so later they contacted me that they wanted to phone interview. I did a phone interview about a week and a half later. After the phone interview they wanted me to take a test. Since I live in Texas, they had someone from my career services at my University administer it to me. It was a pretty long test. They then told me about a week later that I got the interview. I then scheduled the interview in mid october. I went to eat with an employee and some candidates and then the next day had my day of interviews and presentations.

Interview Questions
  • If you were in a situation where you needed someones help but they were out of town what would you do?   Answer Question
I did not negotiate because i felt it was a solid offer

Other Interview Reviews for Epic Systems Corporation

Quality Assurance Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in November 2010.

Started off with a phone interview. Caught me off guard since they never contacted me previously. This was really just a basic screening. Next they told me that I had to take a personality test, and would also be taking a number of assessments at a nearby testing center. The assessments weren't too difficult, but they take time and accuracy into consideration, so precision is necessary. Next, they invited me for an on-site interview. They flew me out to Madison and put me up in a hotel. I went out to dinner the night before my interview with two Epic employees (married) and about five other applicants. They answered any questions and paid for dinner which was nice. The actual interview started at about 9am the next day. First they gave us a demo of their software. We then met in small groups with someone that holds the position we were applying for. They just gave us a basic rundown of what a Quality Assurance consists of. Next was a 1:1 interview with the recruiter, followed by a 1:1 interview with a Quality Assurance specialist. This interview started with them giving you a picture of an object and asking you to write as many things as possible that it could be used for in two minutes. A series of situational and behavioral questions followed. We ate lunch in their massive cafeteria following these two interviews. After lunch was a final 1:1 interview with the recruiter, and a(nother!) two minute timed test (they seem to love these). They said that they would get back to me in 1-2 weeks. Called 2 weeks later to inform me that they were moving on with other candidates.

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in January 2011.

I originally applied for a technical services position. This consisted of a phone interview, personality test, and series of tests sent out for me to take at a local testing center. A few weeks later they invited me to fly out to interview instead for a QA role. They paid for all expenses to get me to Madison, WI. The day there was long, consisting of a few interviews and tests (math, grammar, etc.). Overall a very extensive process.

Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in April 2011.

The process I went through consisted of myself applying online followed by an email asking me to complete an online assessment. Once that was completed I was further emailed to set up a phone interview. I did the phone interview was felt successful, so the interviewer invited me for a site visit and further interviewing and testing. A week later I drove to Epic ( I live nearby) and was at the place for about six hours. The campus is quite large. Clearly ill people have lots of money and Epic likes to show off. The day consisted of a brief tour followed by an overview of the software (Hyperspace). I then had my interview which I felt well prepared for because I had read lots of feedback on this site from other reviews. The interview was followed by me taking 3 or 4 more assessment tests. Written Assessments. It included grammar testing, math testing and computer programming testing. While I felt I did a decent job, I was competing with people who were there all the way from Portland to the other Portland.
    A week later my interview called me and told me they were moving forward with other candidates.

Feedback for others: I felt I did a very professional job in my preparation and in the interview process. But their decision I believe was based solely on how I did on the tests. No doubt some people did it faster than I could. Note that they do ask for your college transcripts. So if you enter a false GPA in your application (I did not) you are so screwed. I also encourage everyone to apply for more than one position so you have the best possible chances.

Interview Questions
    • How would you rate your self from 1-10 on an assertiveness scale?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in May 2012.

I found Epic to be very organized and efficient at moving through the interview process. I had a phone interview and a little over a week later was invited to an onsite interview. Epic was great about setting up travel plans and covering costs. I had to go in to take tests the day before my interview for about three hours and my interview day was from 8:30 am - 4:00 pm, so it is a long process.

My only real frustration of the day was not hearing any negatives about positions. Employees were overwhelmingly positive about all aspects of their jobs (the hours, training, etc.). Maybe they really are just completely satisfied, but I questioned this a little.

I was told that the dress code was casual so I wore jeans, a cardigan and comfortable shoes and was glad that I did! I didn't feel under-dressed at all. I would say this is one interview where it is actually worse to be overdressed.

Interview Questions

I did not wait to hear if I was offered the job because I was offered a job in a different city that I was more interested in.

Quality Assurance Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in November 2010.

I applied online and was invited for an in-person interview. They had us take a couple tests on quantitative and verbal skills, as well as personality test. Most of the staff seems young. Ambiance was very casual. No one in my group showed up in typical interview attire. The company paid for transportation, lodging, and food.

Interview Questions
    • If you were part of team working with a client and you realized your coworker was telling the client something that not accurate, what would you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in December 2013.

Everyone was very efficient, it felt a bit like a cattle-call with so many people interviewing at once for the same position.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if your team lead wants to do something which you disagree with? What would you do if you want to take an action but your team disagrees with you.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in January 2013.

I applied for technical writing but interviewed for both technical writing and QA, so this will be a review of the interview process for both.
    I applied online via Epic's website, though I was simultaneously referred to Epic by my partner who had just started working there. In a few day's time I was contacted by a recruiter who had me fill out a Rembrandt personality profile and complete a timed writing sample. The writing prompt wouldn't be revealed until the timer was started, and I had no idea what to expect I'd be writing about. It ended up being to write a book review of a my own autobiography, which threw me for a loop. Desperate to come up with something, I ended up writing about some personal and not-so-pleasant aspects of my life which, on top of being pretty embarrassing, I felt I had described so poorly that I was certain they wouldn't be contacting me to move forward for the phone interview.
    Needless to say I was pretty surprised when I got an email asking to schedule a phone interview with one of the writers. The phone interview was about as basic as phone interviews get - he asked about me, my professional experiences, why I wanted to work at Epic, and also gave me some general background on what technical writers at Epic do. I think it took about 20 minutes in all.
    After the phone interview, I was offered the on-site interview, which is very long but not incredibly difficult (if you're coming right out of college like most Epic applicants, it's definitely stressful, though). I actually got food poisoning the night before my interview and couldn't make my originally scheduled date, but they were glad to reschedule for the next day.
    For the on-site interview, you'll spend part of the day in a small group with other candidates for the tour, a demo of Epic software, and lunch. You start with a tour of Epic's campus, which is pretty impressive the first time you see it (it wears away the longer you work there... believe me), then you'll go into a small conference room and get the demo. Then they'll take you off to lunch in Cassiopeia, Epic's main dining hall, where you'll have a casual conversation with the employee who brought you there (who may or may not be in the role you're applying for) as well as your fellow candidates. The tough stuff is saved for the afternoon, where you'll spend a few hours doing an HR interview, a technical/skills interview with a person in the role you're applying for, an aptitude test (questions similar to the SAT), and, in the case of technical writing, a technical writing test.

After my day was up, I waited about a week before Epic contacted me to say they wanted to bring me back for a second interview, but this time for a Quality Assurance position instead of technical writing. I accepted, and soon after I came back to Epic's campus to repeat pretty much exactly the same process I had completed before; luckily, I didn't have to retake the aptitude test, and the technical writing test was replaced with some QA-specific assessments. Me and two other QA candidates were interviewed briefly by a QAer and asked how we would QA a pen he set down in front of us, and later, I was given a sheet of paper with a "typical Epic workday" scenario on it that asked me how I would prioritize the issues that came up in the scenario. I talked them over one-on-one with a different QAer.

After that, my interview was over, and in about a week, Epic contacted me to make an offer.

Interview Questions
    • For technical writing - be prepared to write anything for the initial timed writing assessment, don't assume it will be a technical writing prompt. Be prepared to write something like "a book review of your own autobiography".
      For QA - be prepared to think about how you would prioritize tasks. I wasn't ready for this and hadn't given any thought to it and I felt like that kind of showed in my interview. If you're coming right out of college, be especially prepared for this since prioritizing issues is likely not something you've had to deal with regularly.

Answer Question
    I had heard that Epic doesn't negotiate and I didn't want to press my luck trying to find out if it was true. I accepted what they offered.

Quality Assurance Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in July 2014.

Started with a very brief phone interview and then completed a series of online testing and writing samples. Got invited to come for an on-site interview and they paid for all expenses. Overall it was very well-run and a positive experience. The campus is really cool and the people are all very nice. Do dress casually.

Quality Assurance Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in January 2015.

Phone interview was pleasant, went through the Rembrandt Profile, and did the skills assessment last. I barely did any math in college so if you're majoring in mathematics, learning code, or just quick on your feet you'll do fine. I just finished my skills test today so I don't know what's going to happen.

Interview Questions
    • Learning code for the first time so as to know what "," means and "!", and killing a command with something that looked like " K S A=1,B=1,C=1+(A+1) K (A).   Answer Question