Epic Systems Corporation Reporting Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 24, 2014

2.0

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

The interview was less of an interview and more of an overview of what they did at the company. No technical questions asked. There was a programming test and a test similar to the SAT but that is it.

location

Other Interview Reviews for Epic Systems Corporation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Had phone interview, went well enough. Just read about the position before hand and ask a few questions. Then took programming test at a testing center, questions weren't too bad and you can code in any language. Got invited out to Verona Campus for an interview day. Accommodations were nice, and a couple of employees took us out to dinner that night. They seemed hesitant about discussing the amount of hours they work. Try to get to bed early that night, the interview day is very long. Had about 4 interviews that day, mostly behavioral stuff. Nothing too bad. Also had to give a technical presentation. Then had final interview with HR, where they gave me a "2 minute test." The questions are easy, just work quickly. Got an offer about 4 days later: 70k.

Interview Questions
    • List 5 things you are. Then, what are 5 things you are NOT?   Answer Question

I just got a bad feeling from the company.

Reporting Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in January 2013.

The interview process took a while, but partially because I was still in college while partaking in it. I applied for essentially anything software related, and after gathering information about me through the interviews and my coding test they gave me two options: Reporting Engineer and Integrated Engineer. The first interview was over the phone with an HR person, and the second phone interview was with a Software Developer. Next I had a written coding test that I was able to take on campus. Next I went to a day-long event at Epic that consisted of information sessions, a tour, a basic reading and problem solving test, and multiple interviews. Once that was complete I heard back in about a week with a very competitive offer.

Interview Questions
    • I did not think anything was very difficult. The coding test was fairly straightforward and you are able to choose any language you wish. The worst thing about it is that you are just using a text editor, and are unable to check syntax or find stupid errors. However they seem to grade this leniently in that regard. All the interviewers were very nice and as long as you are somewhat prepared it is not difficult.   Answer Question

I had two other offers. Epic offered the highest salary and best benefits, but what I heard about the company and working experience turned me away. Either employees love it or hate it, and most developers work very long hours and are encouraged to spend as much time on campus as possible. I heard it can be difficult to balance work and a social life. The company I interned with over the summer gave me an offer so I took that instead.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in January 2012.

Dropped off my resume at a college career fair, was given an online account a week later and asked to take a Rembrandt personality survey (which also included some word-knowledge and IQ type questions, which I didn't expect--took the survey late at night). A phone interview followed a week later, which was a brief HR screening (not technical at all, just went over what was on the resume).

A skills assessment was authorized 2 weeks later and I scheduled it in for 2 weeks later (thus, this is about six weeks after first contact already). Skills assessment was based on correct answers as well as speed; I took quite a bit longer than I think the average time, but still was offered an on-site interview 2 weeks later. On-site interview took 1 day (fly in previous night, fly out that night) and started quite early... Mainly tests of whether you are able to work in an office environment (e.g. if your colleague is completely wrong, what can you do? What if you're in a meeting?).

Received good news about 2 weeks after the on-site interview. Total process took about three months, longer than I would expect.

I'm sure others have noted that it's an expansive and expanding campus, the atmosphere is very simple and almost reminiscent of college (thus, probably the number of young people)...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in December 2011.

Very laid back. Easy interview and fun site visit. Good people, seems like a great place to work.

Interview Questions
    • Given several sentences, identify and correct grammatical errors.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in November 2010.

I applied to the company through their website, completed a personality assessment online, and was contacted approximately one week later that they were interested. A phone call was set up with a representative to further discuss the role I applied for/to bring up other roles that I would be a good fit for. The representative got in touch with recruiting, and they set up testing on my university's campus for the various roles I was being considered for. The test for me consisted of math/logic questions, programming questions, and picking up on a new programming language's syntax.
    A few weeks later, I was contacted with an invitation to interview on site, which consisted of a one night stay in Madison. There was an option to do dinner and a tour of Madison the day I arrived, so I could explore and see if the area is a good fit for me. The following day started at 8:30 (start time varies based on how many positions you are interviewing for). I met with my recruiter briefly, then went to a Q&A session, a brief tour, and a demo session to see the products developed at Epic. My first interview (the only one related to the reporting engineer position) was allocated 45 minutes. It was incredibly laid back, and I don't remember being asked any majorly technical questions. Everything was focused on my past work experiences.
    You get to eat lunch on campus for free, and there are snacks/drinks out in lounges for candidates.
    At the end of the day, I met with my recruiter and was asked some very HR-ish questions. Things like why Epic. I had another job offer with a deadline, so I brought it up. Turn around for the offer was incredibly quick; I was contacted less than 24 hours after leaving.

Notes: If you are offered an on site interview, do not dress up for it (unless you're going for management or something). You'll be told to dress casually, and the employees follow suit. Also, if you have time to kill before your flight, ask the reception desk for self guided tour packets of the two campuses; they're incredibly interesting!

Interview Questions

The salary was competitive in terms of cost of living to another offer, but the benefits were not.

Reporting Engineer Interview

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in October 2010.

it was pretty basic questions like 'talk to me about yourself', 'what course have you taken', and etc