Epic Systems Corporation
www.epic.com Verona, WI 5000+ Employees

Epic Systems Corporation Software Developer Intern Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jun 24, 2014

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
27 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in November 2013.

Interview Details – 4 rounds:
They ask for a resume and SAT scores at career fairs.

Phone interview: sometimes very technical or tricky, sometimes very easy. It all depends on who you get. Some interviewers are prone to ask very tough logic puzzle type questions so be ready.

Testing at a 3rd party location or on site. Combination of math/logic/programming. There will be tough programming challenges so come ready to think.

On-site interview. See the company and the crazy campus and an interview with HR. My understanding is that if you make it this far they definitely want you.

Interview Question – 9 bottles of wine and one is poison, how can you conclusively figure out which is poison with only 2 rats to test with and only 2 rounds of testing?   View Answers (2)

Software Developer Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details – I applied through a career fair held at my university.
First round was a phone screen, which was a "get to know you better" sort of interview.
Second round was a timed online skills test (I believe you can take them offline as well), which tested programming knowledge, learning ability, quick thinking, and outside of the box thinking. This round was the toughest part, but I thought it was pretty enjoyable overall. There is not much you can prepare for, which is a sign of a good test.
Third and final round was an on-site interview. If you've gotten this far, you're pretty much guaranteed a position (as long as you don't screw up). Epic flies you out to their headquarters and gives you a pretty nice tour of their facility. There is a really simple one on one interview where you're asked to describe a project you've worked on.
Once complete, you should hear back within two weeks.

Interview Question – There is a section on the skills test that requires you to think outside of the box.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation

Software Development Intern Interview

Software Development Intern
Verona, WI

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied at the Career Fair in my college and was shortlisted for interviewing. Initially, I had a HR round where behaviorial questions and one design question was asked. After that, I was asked to take an online test. I qualified in that following which I was called in for onsite interviews.

Interview Question – I didn't find anything difficult in their screening process. Key to succeeding is being strong with basic computer science and math.   Answer Question

Software Developer Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in November 2013.

Interview Details – I received an email from a recruiter. Got one round phone interview and talked with a developer. Heard back from them 3 days ago and scheduled an assessment. I felt the assessment was not hard. The programming part was ok. The math part and new language part were kind of tricky.

Interview Question – How to determine if there are any automobiles in a picture taking on a intersection? It's an open question.   Answer Question

Software Development Intern Interview

Software Development Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details – After a phone screen, I was flown on site for a day of tours, testing, and interviewing. The experience was a bit exhausting and overwhelming but I was convinced of their desire to determine fit rather than qualification. They let me know the decision a couple of weeks later.

Interview Question – Standard behavioral interview.   Answer Question

Verona, WI

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details – Met a recruiter at a career fair--he set me up with a phone interview a few weeks later. The phone interviewer asked me about a past project I worked on, what I learned from it, what was the most challenging problem I had to solve--questions of that nature. Then, he asked me an open-ended technical question about building an application on Google Glass. It didn't require any coding; I just described on a higher level how I'd use the hardware to design this application. I was then offered an on-site interview, which I found strange as I had not done anything technical on my phone interview.

The on-site interview was very accommodating. They placed me in the Madison Concourse hotel and I had dinner with an Epic employee the two nights I was in Madison.

The interview itself was very long. Mine began at 8:45AM and I left the headquarters at around 4PM. The technical aspect of the interview was all done on a computer. They had a coding section, a quick 20 questions section, a math section, and a reasoning section that involved slowly being introduced to a new programming language and answering questions about it.

Since the coding part is done on the computer, it could really hurt candidates who don't remember a small piece of syntax.

The math section had brain teaser questions. I did not know companies still asked these kinds of questions--the use of dated interview questions reflected badly on me.

The other "interview' portion of my visit was a 20 minute interview with an employee about a project I had done. It was informal and pretty casual.

Interview Question – Find all the possible passwords, given the length of the password and that it is a well ordered number (159 is well-ordered as 1<5<9)   Answer Question

Software Developer Intern

Interview Details – Handed my resume at my school's career fair. Got a phone call two weeks after. A technical phone interview, then took an online assessment test

Interview Question – they make you write pseudocode or code
there is an IQ test, math test, and the programming section
  Answer Question

Software Developer Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details – Technical Phone Interview, focused on my previous projects along with a technical PM question. Brought onsite to take their technical tests which involved three short logic/math tests and one longer programming test.

Interview Question – Most efficient way to represent a weight with smaller weights of 3,7,16   Answer Question

Interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation

Interview Details – applied through career fair and got a call for interviews.

Interview Question – Process was easy   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – got other offer

Verona, WI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in October 2012.

Interview Details – I initially spotted Epic at an internship fair at my university. They asked about my GPA as well as my SAT/ACT scores. One of their first questions was something along the lines of "What percentage of the time are you willing to travel?" Which I thought was interesting for a software company, but all full-time employees are required to participate in immersion trips to help educate you on how the end-user is actually using the software. (I think it's a great idea). and some positions in the company do require a lot of travel. Anyways, so I left my resume and was later contacted to take a qualifying test, a 3 hour exam with subjects of math, learning a new programming language, and 4 coding problems. They tried calling me twice to do what I assume would have been a phone interview, but I was in class both times and they didn't leave a message. A week later I got an e-mail asking when would be the best time for them to fly me to Wisconsin for on-site interviews. They flew me out, got me a hotel room, covered all of the costs, and I had an enjoyable interview process there. The first night an Epic employee gave me and two other applicants a brief tour of Madison and took us to dinner. The next day, there was an interview with a developer which was more of less what you'd expect. There was a "group interview" which really was just a setting for applicants to ask a developer any questions they might have about the job, company, etc. There was also an interview with HR going over the basic HR sorts of questions. They also gave us a tour of the campus, and it really is amazing and beautiful.

Interview Question – At the end of the HR interview they gave me a 2 minute quiz. There was a page with 10 math questions on it, and you had exactly 2 minutes to do as much as you could.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They made me an excellent offer which I accepted. The only thing that was more unique to my situation was that in addition to a great pay, they put all of the interns in The Regency, located in downtown Madison. I opted to take the $700 living stipend and find housing of my own closer to Epic.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Epic Systems Corporation

Worked for Epic Systems Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Epic Systems Corporation Software Developer Intern interview questions and advice. All 27 interview reviews posted anonymously by Epic Systems Corporation employees and interview candidates.