Epic Systems Corporation

260 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Developer
Madison, WI

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details – I applied online in late October, received an email a day later to schedule a phone interview. After the phone interview, I took a skills assessment through ProctorU a week later. Then I had an on-site interview 2 weeks later. All told, the process took 4 weeks, from application to offer.

The phone interview is about an hour long chat with a current developer. Standard interview questions are asked; be prepared to talk about a few projects and your roles in them. After this, you'll talk about the culture at Epic, the benefits of working there (the guy I talked with emphasized the lack of cubicles and perks like the subsidized cafeteria), the typical software stack, and Madison, WI.

The skills assessment is done on ProctorU. I had never taken a test using the service, but apparently it's common in certain universities for final exams and the like for online courses. When you're taking the test, you'll have another person monitoring you through a webcam looking for suspicious movement. Before the test starts, they will gain access to your computer and check your process list to close down any unnecessary programs (it irked me that they shut down Dropbox without even asking). They'll also ensure that your screen does not have any sticky notes on it, that your workspace is cleared, and so forth. They see your screen at all times. You're allowed a calculator and some scratch paper.

The assessment consists of 4 parts, the first 3 are written about elsewhere (Glassdoor has annoying post limit which necessitated truncating this part).

Final part is a four question programming test. This is pretty challenging; my biggest problem is that I often look at reference websites when writing code that uses standard libraries, and I had no such luxury for this test. As a result, much of what I wrote was pseudocode, as detailed as I could make it, and using real code when I could remember it. I also commented well and provide thoughts about time complexity and efficiency when appropriate. You can write in C, C++, Java, Python, etc. Javascript and other functional languages are unlisted if I recall correctly.

You should have an excellent grasp on string manipulation and data structures (both standard and custom). I'd recommend working out some problems on Project Euler, as one question would resemble those sort of math-based programming challenges. I won't state the specific problems, since it is worth more to a programmer to prepare generally and to be able to solve these problems on the spot.

They recommend to allow 2-3 hours to take the test, and this was pretty accurate for me. The first three sections fly by; I took 3 hours on the last section, however.

It took five days for Epic to get back to me after the assessment. Along with selecting a date for the on-site interview, I had to also take a Rembrandt personality test which is short and easy.

The on-site interview was actually the best part of the process. They covered my airfare and hotel room. You can choose to have dinner with some current employees and a few other candidates (Madison has excellent restaurants by the way, so I strongly recommend you do this!).

I arrived at the Epic campus at 8 AM the next morning. There is software demo with a current developer, who will talk about their project, the impact Epic has in healthcare, and will answer any questions. This is in a group of about 8 candidates. This group splits off so that four candidates have a conversation with a project lead about working at Epic.

After this, I met another developer and had an interview where I presented a project I had worked on and answered questions about implementation, challenges, etc.

Following this was a case-study interview with yet another developer. They present a general problem to solve and you have to create the basic system to solve it. When you are doing this they are constantly asking questions about how your system will handle extreme/odd cases. This can get pretty stressful, I suppose, but any programmer should be able to prototype a system fairly quickly.

The last person I met was my recruiter from HR who looked over my application, transcripts, and references, and asked me general questions like my strengths/weaknesses and what I was expecting in terms of salary, career growth, and so on. Be sure to know how much you are worth and ask accordingly!

After this I had lunch, toured the campus, went home.

I received an offer 1.5 weeks later. It is extremely competitive with other tech companies (the pay is basically equivalent to Google/Microsoft when considering the low cost of living in Madison) and with comprehensive benefits.

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate the salary or benefits as they were very generous, but I did negotiate the details of the position and they were very accommodating.

Software Developer Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details – I applied online on a weekend and got an email on Monday. I was asked to complete my profile and attach my transcripts. On Thursday, I got a phone interview which took about an hour talking to a current software developer. I took my skills assessment on Saturday and am currently waiting to hear back from them.

Interview Question – The last question in the programming section was difficult. I only wrote pseudo-code for it. I also was bit slow on the speed test which has 10 questions for 2 minutes.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details – Attended their presentation followed by an online test. The first round consisted of general mental ability questions. (If you cleared the 1st round) The second round had 4-5 programming problems for which you were supposed to write pseudo-code. This was then followed up by a telephonic technical interview and a short HR interview. (The interview process varies based on your location)

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Developer Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in March 2014.

Interview Details – Phone interview for 45 min, 20 mins he asked me questions, 25 mins I asked him questions. Thought the interview was ok.

ProctorU exam took me the full 3 hours. The programming section was challenging - 5 programming questions which in my opinion got increasingly harder. I actually skipped one lol. The other sections were ok though! But I do believe this is why I didn't get an offer.

Interview Question – If you were to design an elevator, how would you do it?   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Software Developer Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details – I applied online and quite soon got their email saying they want arrange an phone interview with me, at the mean time do a online assessment through a proctor website. The phone interview asked questions about database and algorithm, and they were not that hard. But the online assessment test was.

Interview Question – Write code for solve some algorithm problem   Answer Question

Indianapolis, IN

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through campus job fair they send me an email to complete a form online then after one week they send me another email to give them some time slot for a call interview. The phone interview was mostly behavioral questions and about my background and why I like this position. Then they sent an assessment test that I had to take. It has several parts such as logic problems math problems and programming part.

Interview Question – Since both the accuracy and time were important I did not know which one I should focuse more. Besides for the programming part since I was not allowed to use web I had to have every thing on top of my head which was unexpected.   Answer Question

Madison, WI

I applied online and interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details – Apply online, get response after about 3 weeks. Then have a phone interview which is about 40 mins. In the phone interview, just talk about my background, and have a brain teaser question. This question is not difficult if you met some similar ones before. Even though I didn't solve it at that time, I still get an on-site invitation later. Then schedule a online test. About 4 days after the online test, get on-site invitation.

Interview Question – The programming questions are average. And there are some math questions, logic test.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in April 2014.

Interview Details – There's one phone interview, an about 3-hour online test, an onsite interview.
The phone interview is nothing serious (according to the recruiter that called me) just talking. Asked basic java (or whatever your main language is) concept questions like difference between abstract class and interface.
The famous online test contains logic (just like GRE/SAT), limited time logic, learning new language (which is very very easy if you do it carefully but not over-think), algorithm. The algorithm part has 4 questions, which is not very hard. You can write whatever language you like in a plain-text editor. You really can find a lot of questions here. I did read a lot but I didn't remember the answer so I did it by myself in the exam. But it's time-consuming. I'm not very good at math and logic. So if you really value this test, please do search. They don't set time limit, but you'd better finish that around 3 hours. Although I think they have wired picking standard (because all my super-technical smart classmates failed while me who is not so good at coding passed), the key to pass is to be careful and calm.
The onsite interview is a very good experience. The campus is AWESOME! They even have a D&G building and some farm yard for employee to plant! All people there are very nice and helpful, trying to help you solve problem. The project presentation DO NOT require a slides. I did a very fancy PPT but didn't use. The engineer will ask you in detail about your project. (But preparing for the PPT did help me review my project).
The dinners were great, and talking with employee would definitely help you understand what do you want and what would they provide. So if you have time please do choose the dinner option. That helps me a lot!
BTW an employee told me HR has big power on the decision. So you may wanna behave well during the HR part in the onsite process and give her/him a good impression that you're really interested in the company.
The offer is very very generous. The salary is very good.

Interview Question – given a drug, find the most common drug(s) that are used together with this drug. (You have each patient's drug table)   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Haven't declined. But really want to go CA and hate winter. Otherwise it would be a very very good offer.

Madison, WI

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in March 2013.

Interview Details – Very tiring, make you give an 3 hour exam which I believe is not that relevant to the position expect the programming test

Interview Question – somewhat difficult prepare to have your math skills polished   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – relocation problem

Software Developer Interview

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details – I had an initial 45 minute interview discussing the recent projects in my resume. Then it was followed by 4 hour long written exam which can be scheduled as per our convenience. The questions in the exam were divided into 5 sections based on logic, analytic thinking, speed and accuracy,concepts of programming languages and finally writing programs

Interview Question – The most difficult and time consuming was the the coding section of the exam. The questions were new and required strong understanding of data structures. Though the syntax was not being tested , it was required to select a programming language to write the code.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Epic Systems Corporation

Worked for Epic Systems Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Epic Systems Corporation Software Developer interview questions and advice. All 260 interview reviews posted anonymously by Epic Systems Corporation employees and interview candidates.