Epic Systems Corporation Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

2.9

Software Development Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview

I have done with the phone interview in which they have asked about my projects from resume. I have scheduled for assessment test which is on 9th july. In that, they said there will be math, coding and some new programming language with questions on that.

Interview Questions

• Where do you want to see you in the next 5 to 10 years?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Epic Systems Corporation

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview

telephone and next written test
    telephone interview was just the HR where in employee will be telling you about epic
    written- there are 4 sections out of which first one is speed and accuracy and this section decides the rest of the test. so please be more cautious with that

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview

First is a phone interview about your previous projects, internship, experience. Nothing hard or tricky just say what you have done before.

Second part is an online exam comprised of four parts: coding, math, quick thinking test, learning a new pseudo programming language. The math part has some tricky questions.

I only got up to the second part. Exam was tough. I wrote my code in C++ but I do not have the useful libraries memorized so it ended up looking more like pseudo code.

Interview Questions

• Write a code to determine if there is a winner in the game of checkers.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview

Had a phone interview initially which lasted for 20 mins. Most of the ques are on my resume and then an online assessment exam which will be proctored. The exam consists of new programming language and some programs will be asked which we have to code. Time limit is not there but they will check your time taken. Waiting for result.

Interview Questions

• They asked to explain about any project on my resume which i am comfortable with.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Madison, WI) in June 2015.

Interview

Very disappointed.....
    I will just share my on site interview experience. The procedure to reach the on site interview is similar to what other people have mentioned. I was interviewed for software Developer position at Madison last week. Immediately after one day, I got a phone call where my recruiter said that they were moving forward with other candidates. I am still confused what actually went wrong from my side.

There were two dinners with Epic developer as hosts during this process. The hosts were really nice persons. There were couple of other candidates along with me interviewing for same position. In whole group, I was the only non-American. Most of the time they were talking about mostly American things- the sports, the lifestyle, etc. I hardly understood what they were talking. Most of the time, I was just putting fake smile on my face. I just request to the future hosts - please talk about something which everyone in the group can understand. My another bad luck - I had never gone to such a restaurant before. I guessed and ordered the food. I couldn't eat even half of it. The host saw it and seemed very unhappy about it. I don't know if the discussions with dinner hosts count in the hiring decision.

On the D-day, there were presentations about the tools Epic has developed. Also a lunch session with a developer. These discussions went really well. I asked few questions, they promptly answered. There were three main interviews.

The technical presentation interview was very bad experience. The interviewer did not seem to be interested in the interview. Over the 45 minutes, he didn't even smile once. I was giving presentation about my favorite project and was very enthusiastic about it. But the interviewer wasn't just interested. He looked bit tensed since the beginning and carried the same expression throughout the interview. . He asked couple of simple questions - just for the sake of formality. I was thinking what should I do so that he would be happy about my interview. A request to Epic - if someone is not interested in conducting the interview, please don't force them.

Even when the the second technical interview (case study) started, I was still thinking about the previous interview. I thought I was losing my opportunity, but I somehow recovered. This guy was a nice one, very friendly. We discussed about a problem and I had to write the code. This interview went fine. Actually towards the end he said that he was expecting a different approach to the code than mine, but overall I convinced him about my overall logic and procedure.

The HR interview went really well. Jeff was very friendly. After general discussion (Madison city, the interview experience, desired compensation, etc.), he asked me where could Epic improve. I mentioned few things and he seemed very happy.

Overall, all the people (except the first technical interviewer) were nice. For future candidates, I will just say - Apart from technical preparation, please also pray for luck to be on your side. If your interviewer is not interested in the interview, you can't just do anything.
    I was really interested in working at Epic. I am still not sure what exactly was the reason for my rejection.

Interview Questions

• Technical Project presentation, Writing code for a simple case study   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in June 2015.

Interview

First Round: A recruiter schedules a telephonic interview with one of the team members. Its a 30 minutes interview with focus on resume and work experience. I was given a scenario and had to say which data structure should be used and why. Some technical algorithm, data structure questions.

Second Round: Coding Assessment

Unlike others I had a 2 section test. First section was technical learning which had a new language and 20 questions based on it. Second section was programming where I had 4 questions. (Questions are given below)

Before the test I had asked if there is a time limit and I was told no, but when I was doing my last question I got a pop up window saying, "you have last 15 minutes before this test ends". That was strange and surprising.

I'm still waiting on the result of the test.

Interview Questions

• 1) Form number triangle
      Given 5 -3 7 8 output should be
      5 -3 7 8
      2 4 15
      6 19

2) SMS problem

3) A company wants to give its employees a valid phone number. Find all possible numbers given conditions;
       - no two numbers are consecutive ie 0232 is valid but 0223 is not
       - if there is a 4 in the number then the first digit should also be 4
       - there are 3 excluded numbers which shouldn't be in the result but the company has not yet decided which these numbers are going to be

4) Snake sequence

Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview

During the onsite interview, you have interviews with multiple developers as well as with your recruiter. The interviews with the developers are technically oriented - with one I had a test question and the other I presented some work I had done recently. With HR you talk more about HR stuff... workplace dynamics, the salary/benefit details, etc. You also have a tour (which is pretty cool because the campus is awesome) and a great lunch (the food at the cafeteria is amazing).

Interview Questions

• What salary are you expecting/looking for?   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview

Phone interview with a current employee, asking basic questions, such as why Epic. You will need to go through your resume and explain one or two items in detail. The employee will introduce you the focus of Epic and so on.

Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Verona, WI) in May 2015.

Interview

Initial 30 minute phone interview in which they ask about your resume, experience, typical HR questions like "where do you see yourself in 5 years?". Generally a pretty casual talk.

Shortly after that I was an online assessment. This had 4 sections (1 time limited, and 3 others not time limited but graded on time and accuracy): math (time limited), math (unlimited time), basic programming (unlimited), open-ended programming (unlimited). The math sections where basic algebra questions, the unlimited time one focusing more on reading comprehension with a couple of riddle questions. The basic programming section requires no previous coding experience, mostly just logic questions. The open-ended questions ask you to write some functions to solve a particular problem.

After the online assessment was the on-site interview. For this they brought me in the day before the actual interview and a software developer took me out to dinner with a few other candidates. The dinner was casual and mostly an opportunity for us to ask about the company and the Madison area in general. The next day was the rest of the interview. This started with a talk from a software developer giving basic introduction to the company and the software they work on. Following that was a casual conversation with a software developer about what specifically they work on, life at Epic, and any questions we might have about the position. After that was a one on one case study with a software developer where they ask you to talk through a problem with them to a solution. They are looking at your thought process and problem solving skills here. This was followed with an informal lunch with a software developer and a tour of the campus. Then there was one on one interview with another developer in which you are asked to talk about a project. This is not a formal presentation, but meant to be more of a conversation. They will ask you questions about why you made certain choices and what you would do differently if you did it again, etc... Finally the day wrapped-up with an interview with the HR contact.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Initially there was a phone screen with a software developer, he was an awesome guy. It was a casual talk, he went over my resume and asked a few questions over the design of one of my project. Then after a day, I got the link for an online assessment. There are many tricky questions, they look for the approach and nothing else. For the coding section, the editor will not lend any help and that is something that is not helpful. The 2 minute session get really tight, the numerical questions are gonna eat up much of time, and there are no options to choose from, I think if you answer at least 7 then you should be good. I'm waiting for their reply for the next steps.