Epic Systems Corporation Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 13, 2014

2.8

281 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Was encouraged by a recruiter on Linkedin to apply for a position of Software Developer. I applied and was invited for a phone interview within 3 days. The phone interview was mostly behavioral with one technical question. I was also simultaneously asked to take up a skills assessment test. The test was almost 3 hours long with about 4 sections like others have mentioned.

Interview Questions
  • Re-arrange an array of strings such that the anagrams are at the beginning of the array.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Epic Systems Corporation

Software Developer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in June 2014.

First I got an email which tell me my background is a fit for their software developer position, and asked me to apply online. Then I applied online, after that was a phone interview, asking about the background and 2 easy technical questions. After the phone interview, they sent me an online assessment.

Software Developer Interview

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Phone interview followed by an online test through Proctor. Phone interview was a general discussion on the previous projects and experience and question on elevator design. Online test had almost the same questions as given on careercup. My test went good except for the speed part where around 10-12 questions were to be answered in just 2 min.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in June 2014.

From the date that I received the phone interview invitation to getting the rejection it's about 15 days. Phone interview is 1 step. It's just easy, you will be asked about your past projects, 1 or 2 of them. then it's a brain teaser. Then you will informed about their company's cultural, how they organized and you can the interviewer ask several question.
    Additionally, there will be a assessment that just like others said. I didn't do good on this assessment, I completed them all and I thought it is not bad but I got rejection. Probably because I consumed about 4 hrs to complete it which mainly because I didn't prepare well.

Interview Questions
    • well, when i did the time-pressure section in assessment, the proctor told me that I need a physical calculator rather than a visual one. so I had to go find one. and this consumed me more than 40 secs and I believed I didn't do good on this section. More ridiculous, the proctor didn't pause it.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in June 2014.

Suggestions: the difference between phone interview and screening interview should not be too long, there is no sequence between those two interview processes.

Interview Questions
    • Phone Interview: Why Epic? Introduce your project; Screening Interview: 4 Parts, randomly selection (2-Minutes, Math, Programming, New technology).   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

the phone interview goes through the resume and let you talk about one of your project, ask a open minded question, and ask some questions such as why do you choose epic
    the online test takes about 3 hours. the programming part contains 4 questions 1. find the "mountain" in the matrix (a mountain is a value which is bigger than its 8 surrounding values) 2. find the valid pass word from a long string (there are a lot of rules, but once you understand, it is not hard) 3. generate password with n numbers(the password should be well-ordered "123" -> 1<2<3 "564" is not because 6>4) 4. change word, each time switch adjacent characters "GUM"->"MUG"

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in November 2013.

4 rounds:
    They ask for a resume and SAT scores at career fairs.

Phone interview: sometimes very technical or tricky, sometimes very easy. It all depends on who you get. Some interviewers are prone to ask very tough logic puzzle type questions so be ready.

Testing at a 3rd party location or on site. Combination of math/logic/programming. There will be tough programming challenges so come ready to think.

On-site interview. See the company and the crazy campus and an interview with HR. My understanding is that if you make it this far they definitely want you.

Interview Questions
    • 9 bottles of wine and one is poison, how can you conclusively figure out which is poison with only 2 rats to test with and only 2 rounds of testing?   View Answers (3)

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Madison, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in April 2014.

Got interview call after 2 weeks of application. Online coding test. There will be 4-5 sections including coding, maths, logic, intro to new programming language. The questions were easy and nothing unexpected will come.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Verona, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in November 2013.

I got an internal referral, so I think that helped cut down the interview process. After talking with people on the phone twice, they had me take a long (2-3 hrs), proctored exam. They do this through a service that allows someone to watch you through your webcam for the duration of the exam. It's rather weird. There were math, logic, and programming questions, broken up into sections.

The math section was pretty easy math, but there was time pressure.

The logic questions were kind of weird and for some it seemed like you'd do well to have seen it before. There were a fair number of puzzles like "A frog is at the bottom of a 10 ft. well and wants to get out. Each jump, he jumps up 2 feet and slides back down 1. How many jumps does it take to get out?" (The answer is 9 - once he's at the top of the well, he doesn't slide back down 1 ft.). There were also questions like:

You see a test question, but the question has been smudged and all you can read are the possible answers. Which is the correct answer?
    A: all of the below
    B: none of the below
    C: all of the above
    D: one of the above
    E: none of the above
    F: none of the above

The programming section does not test your knowledge of languages, just of basic ideas and developing solutions. I don't remember the questions I was asked, but you should be able to sort and search through lists, and know about some basic data structures like maps. I wrote all of mine in pseudocode and that was apparently fine.

If you pass the exam, they take you to campus, where at least 2 people interview you. One asks you to talk about a large project you have worked on, what challenges you ran into, and how you solved them. The 2nd one they give you a problem and have you discuss it for them so that they can see how you think. I was asked the following: "Sometimes doctors will run into a patient with something that they can't diagnose because it's rare or they haven't seen it before. We have a database of all of the problems patients have and what diagnosis their doctor associated with it. What would we need to do to be able to put this doctor in touch with another doctor who has worked with patients who likely have the same root cause?" They want you to keep in mind things like how to get user input, how to deal with not everyone having exactly the same problems, how to search for matches, and everything else you could possibly think of. They don't expect a complete solution.

Following this, they'll let you meet some people from the company and go on a tour of the campus. The campus is beautiful. Keep in mind that the people you talk to may not reflect everyone's experience at the company - I asked someone about how many hours a week they worked and was told that people rarely work more than 40, but since being here, I don't think I have ever worked fewer than 45.

They also have you do some sort of personality test. I'm not sure how relevant this is to the hiring process as opposed to placing you after you've been hired.

Interview Questions
    • "Sometimes doctors will run into a patient with something that they can't diagnose because it's rare or they haven't seen it before. We have a database of all of the problems patients have and what diagnosis their doctor associated with it. What would we need to do to be able to put this doctor in touch with another doctor who has worked with patients who likely have the same root cause?"

Answer Question
    They refused to negotiate about anything. In response to asking for slightly more vacation days, I was told that I could take unpaid leave if I wanted days off.

Software Developer Interview

Phone interview and online exam.online exam is too long. Really really long. Especially the 4th part, there are 4 big coding problems, each took me about 30min. Arrange a good time to finish it.

Interview Questions
    • There is an question to output something using dynamic programming. I wrote a long code.   Answer Question

Worked for Epic Systems Corporation? Contribute to the Community!