Epic Systems Corporation

Average Difficulty
274 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Developer

I applied online and interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details – first had to clear online test, which consisted of 4 sections math, verbal,aptitude, new programming and programming.

Interview Question – was not that difficult..   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

Software Development
Verona, WI

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in October 2013.

Interview Details – First had a phone screen technical interview. No coding. We talked through an algorithm. Then did an onsite. The onsite had two challenges on their computers. The first was 4 coding problems. The second had math and logic problems. Then there was an interview where we discussed past projects I had worked on.

Interview Question – One of the computer challenges involved learning a simple programming language.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Location didn't suit me.

Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details – phone interview

Interview Question – asked to union,intersection of 2 arrays, with duplicate items.   Answer Question

Madison, WI

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in August 2013.

Interview Details – 1st round - Aptitute + Technical
2nd round - Coding 4 questions, any language, in text editor (most important round)
3rd round - Tech telephonic interview (project based)
4th round - HR telephonic interview(common hr questions)

Interview Question – "Why you chose to do this project?" in telephonic interview. It was unexpected. You should be very clear why you did the projects you have in your resume.   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – Fixed CTC

Verona, WI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in March 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a company recruiter via LinkedIn. After talking with the recruiter, the first stages of the process involved a personality test online and a screening test over the phone.
I was later flown out to Madison and put up in a hotel downtown. I, along with several other interviewees, were split into groups led by a current employee who showed us around Madison, and we had an opportunity to ask questions in an informal setting.

The next day, we went to Epic's campus. There, we were split into groups based on which position we were interviewing for and given a tour of the campus, as well as a few demos of some of the projects they were working on. Later, in our groups, we met with a current developer who described the experience working at Epic as a software developer as well as information about the work (e.g. language, libraries, tools, types of projects, organization of teams, etc). We later each met one-on-one another developer for a technical interview covering our past work, problem solving approach.

After that, we sent to a testing room for 3 different tests which were administered in an environment familiar to anyone that's taken standardized tests. One test covered basic skills (e.g. basic math, communication and writing skills). Another covered general technical questions about software development. The last test introduced, piecemeal, a hypothetical programming language (though seemingly similar to the Caché language they use for many of their projects) and asked questions about expressions/statements written in that language.

Finally after our tests, we wrapped up with a one-on-one meeting with an HR person to discuss our career goals, anticipated salary, feedback about the company, feedback about the interview process, and similar matters.

Interview Question – This was a while ago, so I don't remember the specific question, but there were one or two questions on the technical test that I was certain I had made significant mistakes on.   Answer Question

Indianapolis, IN

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in September 2013.

Interview Details – Initial interview which is resume walk through it is easy but i am an ece graduate student they asked basic questions like tree traversal and given a situation and asked the way to tackle that situation

Interview Question – programming based questions   View Answer

Interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation

Interview Details – First had to take an online assessment test after which I had a phone interview. The online assessment test consisted of basic questions on DS/Algos. The phone interview seemed more like a formality but was very interesting. I had to talk about a project of mine and also had to discuss an open-ended problem with the interviewer.
After this I had an on-site interview. This was undoubtedly the best interview I've had. It consisted of talking to a bunch of people regarding EPIC. I also had to explain one of my projects and had a case-study. This was followed by an HR interview.

Madison, WI

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in December 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume on their website, and was contacted a couple weeks later. They started with a first round of phone interview with one of their developers. He asked me basic questions, probably filling out a prescribed form by the companies. None of the questions were difficult or interesting at all, so I found it rather boring. In fact, the developer lacks the enthusiasm that I found in the people who interviewed me from other companies - he sounds bored and tired from the job. It's quite ironic that I didn't get a very good impression from the company, but I answered his questions in the most polite way anyway.

Several days later, HR informed me that I had passed the first basic round, and they moved me forward to the assessment round. They booked an appointment for me at a proctor center, which was very convenient in my city. The assessment test consists of four parts: reasoning/logic, math, personality assessment and programming. As someone whose study covers a wide range of topics in CS, the assessment was rather boring for me. The questions were rather easy and in my opinion, can't reflect how good I will be as a developer. The programming questions were alright, but the framework they used lacks to many features for programming; I found it very frustrated from the lack of code-formatting support in the editor. The questions weren't particularly easy but weren't difficult either. And then there were personality assessment questions, which I found very boring. I finished the whole assessment in two and a half hours, and I think I answered the questions very well.

Two or three days later, HR reached me again and informed me that they wanted to move me to the final round with an engineer and an HR staff member. This time, the engineer was better and he was enthusiastic about the company. He asked me some technical questions which I answered easily, and he also asked me some personality questions, too. After the call, an HR staff member called me again and she was very friendly and upbeat. She talks about life in Madison and answered many of my questions. I think the final round was better than the first phone call, but that doesn't convince me to like the technology the company uses any better.

Two days after the interview, HR contacted me and informed me of my offer. The number was really good considering the low cost of living in Madison. I was swayed a bit, but I guess money wasn't enough to convince me to commit to VB6. A week later I received an offer from a big company (one of the biggest names in Silicon Valley) so I walked away from Epic offer.

Overall, it was an okay experience. Their HR was very quick to response to my inquires so I consider that a bonus point for their hiring process. But I think they can use some improvement in the way they hire developers. Also, if they don't move away from VB6 quickly, many people will be dissuaded from joining the company like me.

Interview Question – None of the questions were hard at all. If you have a good fundamental in CS, you shouldn't have any problems   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – - I don't like VB6 - it's a non-transferrable skill
- I received an offer from a better company with Java being the main language

Software Developer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details – 1 hour long phone interview. 2nd round was a 3 hour long proctored technical exam.

Interview Question – You know a password is well-ordered numbers. Given an input # that tells you also how many digits are in the password, print all possible passwords.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Don't want to move to WI. Just went through this process for practice.

Madison, WI

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in November 2013.

Interview Details – Online Assessment: 4 sections, see description under other people

Phone Interview: why epic, area interested, verification of GPA, graduation year, etc., brief description of previous project, one algorithm problem related to medicine and patient

On Site Interview:

describe a project to a developer, if time allows, questions related to that project and others. No purely algorithm question. He asked some technical problems on a boarder perspective, such as List 3 most important challenge that Epic faces; if there is one programming language you would choose, what is that? what's the advantage and disadvantage... prioritize the 5 things: performance, efficiency, accuracy, readable code, user experience

Several behavior question from HR. salary anticipation.

I think I'm rejected because I'm an international student with not a very strong background, and my oral speaking is not good enough either.

Overall the good experience. But one thing annoys me is that they promised to respond in 2 weeks, but I didn't get replies. When I email the HR, she said she will call me the next day to have a conversation. I wasn't expected it's only a 30 seconds "thank you" rejection. Why didn't she tell me directly by email?

Interview Question – the online assessment. it takes 3 hours. very tiring.

interviews basically test your personality and background.
  Answer Question