Epic Systems Corporation

Average Difficulty
276 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Developer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in June 2014.

Interview Details – From the date that I received the phone interview invitation to getting the rejection it's about 15 days. Phone interview is 1 step. It's just easy, you will be asked about your past projects, 1 or 2 of them. then it's a brain teaser. Then you will informed about their company's cultural, how they organized and you can the interviewer ask several question.
Additionally, there will be a assessment that just like others said. I didn't do good on this assessment, I completed them all and I thought it is not bad but I got rejection. Probably because I consumed about 4 hrs to complete it which mainly because I didn't prepare well.

Interview Question – well, when i did the time-pressure section in assessment, the proctor told me that I need a physical calculator rather than a visual one. so I had to go find one. and this consumed me more than 40 secs and I believed I didn't do good on this section. More ridiculous, the proctor didn't pause it.   Answer Question

Software Developer

I applied online - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in June 2014.

Interview Details – Phone Interview: Why Epic? Introduce your project; Screening Interview: 4 Parts, randomly selection (2-Minutes, Math, Programming, New technology).

Suggestions: the difference between phone interview and screening interview should not be too long, there is no sequence between those two interview processes.

Interview Question – Phone Interview: Why Epic? Introduce your project; Screening Interview: 4 Parts, randomly selection (2-Minutes, Math, Programming, New technology).   Answer Question

Software Developer

I applied online and interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details – the phone interview goes through the resume and let you talk about one of your project, ask a open minded question, and ask some questions such as why do you choose epic
the online test takes about 3 hours. the programming part contains 4 questions 1. find the "mountain" in the matrix (a mountain is a value which is bigger than its 8 surrounding values) 2. find the valid pass word from a long string (there are a lot of rules, but once you understand, it is not hard) 3. generate password with n numbers(the password should be well-ordered "123" -> 1<2<3 "564" is not because 6>4) 4. change word, each time switch adjacent characters "GUM"->"MUG"

Madison, WI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in April 2014.

Interview Details – Got interview call after 2 weeks of application. Online coding test. There will be 4-5 sections including coding, maths, logic, intro to new programming language. The questions were easy and nothing unexpected will come.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation

Interview Details – Phone interview and online exam.online exam is too long. Really really long. Especially the 4th part, there are 4 big coding problems, each took me about 30min. Arrange a good time to finish it.

Interview Question – There is an question to output something using dynamic programming. I wrote a long code.   Answer Question

Athens, GA

The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in June 2014.

Interview Details – I got phone interview first. Two technical questions. One is about java and another is algorithm. The rest questions are behavior questions and talked about one of my past project. Then I have my online assessment

Interview Questions

Verona, WI

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in November 2013.

Interview Details – I got an internal referral, so I think that helped cut down the interview process. After talking with people on the phone twice, they had me take a long (2-3 hrs), proctored exam. They do this through a service that allows someone to watch you through your webcam for the duration of the exam. It's rather weird. There were math, logic, and programming questions, broken up into sections.

The math section was pretty easy math, but there was time pressure.

The logic questions were kind of weird and for some it seemed like you'd do well to have seen it before. There were a fair number of puzzles like "A frog is at the bottom of a 10 ft. well and wants to get out. Each jump, he jumps up 2 feet and slides back down 1. How many jumps does it take to get out?" (The answer is 9 - once he's at the top of the well, he doesn't slide back down 1 ft.). There were also questions like:

You see a test question, but the question has been smudged and all you can read are the possible answers. Which is the correct answer?
A: all of the below
B: none of the below
C: all of the above
D: one of the above
E: none of the above
F: none of the above

The programming section does not test your knowledge of languages, just of basic ideas and developing solutions. I don't remember the questions I was asked, but you should be able to sort and search through lists, and know about some basic data structures like maps. I wrote all of mine in pseudocode and that was apparently fine.

If you pass the exam, they take you to campus, where at least 2 people interview you. One asks you to talk about a large project you have worked on, what challenges you ran into, and how you solved them. The 2nd one they give you a problem and have you discuss it for them so that they can see how you think. I was asked the following: "Sometimes doctors will run into a patient with something that they can't diagnose because it's rare or they haven't seen it before. We have a database of all of the problems patients have and what diagnosis their doctor associated with it. What would we need to do to be able to put this doctor in touch with another doctor who has worked with patients who likely have the same root cause?" They want you to keep in mind things like how to get user input, how to deal with not everyone having exactly the same problems, how to search for matches, and everything else you could possibly think of. They don't expect a complete solution.

Following this, they'll let you meet some people from the company and go on a tour of the campus. The campus is beautiful. Keep in mind that the people you talk to may not reflect everyone's experience at the company - I asked someone about how many hours a week they worked and was told that people rarely work more than 40, but since being here, I don't think I have ever worked fewer than 45.

They also have you do some sort of personality test. I'm not sure how relevant this is to the hiring process as opposed to placing you after you've been hired.

Interview Question – "Sometimes doctors will run into a patient with something that they can't diagnose because it's rare or they haven't seen it before. We have a database of all of the problems patients have and what diagnosis their doctor associated with it. What would we need to do to be able to put this doctor in touch with another doctor who has worked with patients who likely have the same root cause?"

Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They refused to negotiate about anything. In response to asking for slightly more vacation days, I was told that I could take unpaid leave if I wanted days off.

Verona, WI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in May 2014.

Interview Details – Contacted by college recruiter, told to apply online. After applying online, was emailed about scheduling an interview within a day or two. A short phone interview, then the 3-4 hour long online test (refer to others description for how the software works). Most of the time was spent during the programming portion which had 4 different prompts for me. The other sections were much shorter (one was 2 minutes timed for quick thinking). Like others said, the programming section does not test your in depth knowledge on any one language in particular, but does require good programming skills in whatever language you prefer to write with. As usual, no way to compile and test your code. After the conclusion of the 2 step process for the interview (phone interview / online skills test), the process took over 2 weeks to hear back. No on-site interview for me, so this is where my experience ends. On a final note: During phone interview, they make sure you are willing to move to the Madison, WI area - so if you are not from the area and are not interested in moving there, you might not want to waste yours and their time.

Interview Question – Nothing was overly difficult compared to previous interviews I have had. It was just time consuming.   Answer Question

Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details – There first comes a phone interview, during the phone interview, they asks some background questions based on your resume, and ask a data base design question based on their own program, after that you will have an online assesment

Interview Question – during the online assesment, there will be 4 questions about programing and algorithm, the algorithm question is a little difficult for me as I didn't prepare well, like the classic black and red chess   Answer Question

Madison, WI

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in April 2014.

Interview Details – Hiring process consisted of multiple stages:

The first stage was a semi-technical interview with a developer. The developer went over my resume, we talked about projects I had listed, and he asked a conceptual question about how I would design a game.

The second stage consisted of the infamous 3 hour long online exam. Many other posters have already mentioned the layout so you can look for those posts elsewhere. As far as the programming portion is concerned, careercup has a lot of great examples. I would recommend running through problems on careercup to get a feel for the programming problem.

The third stage was the on-site interview. The on-site interview consisted primarily of tours and Q&A sessions with different developers working on different projects. However there are two interview sessions: the first is a case study. The case study presents a problem that Epic may have encountered many years ago and your job is to figure out as best as possible how to implement a solution for that problem. The second interview session is basically a conversation between you and developer about a project you worked on. The developer will ask you a series of questions regarding how or why you chose to implement things the way you did. Both sessions are straight forward if you have a good understanding of how to tackle conceptual problems and a firm grasp of whatever project you worked on.

Overall, one of the better interview processes I have had. EPIC has a lot of money which translates nicely when it comes to the interviewing process. Everything was taken for care for me as smoothly as possible. I also had other pending offers at the time and HR did a wonderful job getting back to me in a timely manner.

Interview Question – None. The questions are, for the most part, straight forward. Once again, doing problems on careercup will help you far more than this post can.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase. I had offers at the time and basically told them straight up what I was expecting for a minimum. HR person smiled and said, 'we definitely pay more than that.'

Worked for Epic Systems Corporation? Contribute to the Community!