Epic Systems Corporation

Average Difficulty
147 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in March 2014.

Interview Details – First Round is the phone interview coming with technical questions, some behavior questions and a introduction of epic. The behavior questions are why epic, why do you want this position and others already posted in this site. The technical questions are something about the design of the elevator. Given different situations, how would you design it. The second round is the online assessment. Just like what is posted in this site, such as colorful numbers, keyboard questions,etc. I am still waiting for the result.

Interview Question – There are five sections for the online assessment now. It is unexpected but not difficult.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in April 2014.

Interview Details – First the will conduct a phone interview, which will be normal. No technical questions asked. It is a 1 hr interview probably with a developer, so as to see how you fit into their organisation. After that they will ask you to give an assessment test. This test is conducted only and is approx. 3 hrs. It includes all logical questions and some mathematical too. It is basically done to gather an understanding of how you think and what is your thought process. One of the part of the assessment is timed, rest are not.
If applying for a developer, you will also get 4 programming questions which you can do in any language. The questions are somewhat tricky and you will have to have a good understanding of programming concepts if you want to get through it.
If you clear this round, then they will call you for an onsite interview at there HQ. This is the time you will be able to have a good look at the company's workplace and their day to day life and environment. If you clear this round, then probably you will be getting an offer.
Good Luck for it!!

Interview Question – Programming questions test your in-depth knowledge   Answer Question

Madison, WI

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online, after 1-2 months, I received phone interview with recuriter.
I had 2 phone interviews and 1 online testing then after onsite interview, I received offer in a week.

Interview Question – The online testing is quite long   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in November 2013.

Interview Details – Pretty straightforward with questions that tested thinking. They asked me to provide a background of my experience, followed by what Epic does and how it is different.
They mentioned that everyone enters as a software engineer which is a little difficult to believe. I asked about their Professional Services division that implemented projects, and they said they could consider me for that in the future rounds.

Interview Question – If you're a robot that transmits a signal in any direction, how would you make it navigate in 3D space?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I needed more time to decide between my choices.

Interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation

Interview Details – The process was very strange. For the first 'interview' they had me take a written test on campus. The test consisted mostly of 'IQ test' type logic questions such as "banana = 6, pear = 4, what does lemon equal?", which anyone with an ounce of common sense knows are useless for telling if somebody will make a good software developer or not, or even for telling if somebody is smart or not. They also asked for my SAT scores...who cares about IQ and SAT scores? Anyone who's smart knows that intellegence isn't a number, its the passion and drive to accomplish...actual accomplishments...in an effective way.

There was also a programming section of the test, which consisted entierly of dynamic programming questions. This was the only 'technical interview' I had to do -- their assesment of me as a programmer was based entierley on how well I knew this one algorithms tecnique. Dynamic programming is certainly a good thing to know, but its honestly not that relevant to most of software engineering: there are more important skills to test, such as object oriented design principles, technical communication skills, the ability to gauge the running time of an algorithm, and the ability to think outside the box to name a few. Dynamic programming is something you're supposed to throw into an interview to spice things up, not to use as a base for the whole process. They at no point had a human being ask me technical questions to gauge my ability. This is a huge red flag: If the company cares so little about testing the quality of new hires, its a very bad sign about the quality of employees working there

The onsite was also really weird. It consisted mostly of a tour of their very pretty office building, and of the company treating me to fancy dinners at nice restaurants in Madison. At no point was the work that they do there really discussed: I WAS given the chance to talk to an engineer, but all he told me was that 75% of the company uses visual basic (eew), 25% of the company uses C#, and that the company was moving in the direction of "web stuff". That doesn't tell me anything about what kinds of problems the employees there solve. Their product demo was given by a self-descriped "ui programmer"...it had a horrible UI from the 90's. I had a feeling the whole time that they were buttering me up to take some sort of plunge, rather than opening up an honest dialogue about what the position is like, and why I should or shouldn't want to take it.

The corporate culture also seemed to be very stuffy and arrogant: everyone kept talking about how "smart" the employes were, and about how profitable the company was, without ever discussing any achievments that actually matter: interesting technical challenges overcome, products that solved problems other companies did not solve, taking good care of their employees, that kind of thing. The company's motto is "Work Hard. Have Fun. Make Money". Thats the only thing I felt that they cared about, having a "fun" office building, being profitable, and working their employees too hard ( just read the reviews, especially for non programming positions).

Interview Question – the dynamic programming questions would've been hard if I didn't know dynamic programming.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I got an extremily lucrative offer given the cost of living in the area from Epic, but I decided that I'd rather work for a better company doing more interesting work that pays a little bit less in a more exciting part of the country. Its really surprising just how much Epic struck me as a place for mediocre engineers that don't care about making the world a better place, given how succesfull the company is and how important their product is to the lives of so many people. Whatever Epic is doing right as a company (and evidently they're doing a lot of things right, or they wouldn't be so succesfull), it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the quality of their software from what I saw.

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details – Phone interviewer ask me about some behavior questions such as why epic and introduce the project you did and the difficulty you met.

Interview Question – HR said this is not technique interview but the interviewer ask a technique question   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied on the website of Epic. After two or three weeks a recuriter contacted me and scheduled a phone interview. Also he invited me to do the online accessment before or shortly after the phone interview, which would speedup the process. The phone interview took 45 miniutes. The interviewer first verified my degree, gpa and other information, then projects on the resume. After that I scheduled the online accessment and took it.

Interview Question – Define additive number as 112, 224, 1123, 121224....where 1 + 1 = 2; 2 + 2 = 4 and 1 + 1 = 2, 1 + 2 = 3. Also the first two numbers should always be equal.
Given a range, print all additive numbers within that range(inclusive).
  View Answer

Madison, WI

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in February 2014.

Interview Details – First a phone interview. Asked me to detail a project I'd worked on and a graph question. Next was the skills test which is exactly as described on here already. Waiting to hear back for in person interview.

Interview Question – Explain a project.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details – Submit the resume online. after 1 week, I received an email asking for a technical assessment and a phone interview with current software developer. Basic question like: tell me about your project, where you hear us, etc., And the day after phone interview, I was told that I pass the phone interview and ask me to finish the online test. Average difficulty for the online test. Focus on data structure and dynamic programming.

Interview Question – In the online assessment, I was ask to learn a new programming language used by Epic and answer questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details – I only got a phone interview for this company. The recruiter asked some question on background and an open question. And rejected me the next day.

Interview Question – Design an robot who can follow people.   Answer Question

Worked for Epic Systems Corporation? Contribute to the Community!