Epic Systems Corporation Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 13, 2014

2.8

151 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in August 2014.

Forty five minutes phone interview followed by 3 long hours technical skills test which will be proctored by someone remotely. You'll be contacted by the recruiter after a week or so to inform whether you had qualified to the next round or not.

Interview Questions
  • Nothing unexpected questions so far for the phone interview.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Epic Systems Corporation

Software Engineer Interview

Applied online. Then I got an phone interview and an online test. The phone interview went through my resume and they asked me about a technical problem. It took me almost 3 hours to finish the online test. The speed test was really fast. I did poorly on this part.

Interview Questions
    • Not very difficult. But I don't know why I am rejected after the online test.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

First round is a HR will set up a phone interview to have a basic conversation with you about your background and why you chose to apply for the position.
    After this, you will be required to participate a online test including a large amount of math/logic/programming questions and brain teasers.
    Finally you will be offered a on-site interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Madison, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in June 2014.

tl;dr Very unprofessional, spoke to 5 different recruiters throughout the process, online skill assessment is annoying

Went to a university career fair and wasn't too interested in the company at the time. A few months later a recruiter contacted me via e-mail and asked if I was interested in applying. After the application there was a non-technical interview where I reviewed my resume with a another recruiter. The following day they sent me the 'online assessment', which was incredibly difficult to set up (I had an online proctor, had to take everything off my desk, pan around my room 4 times, let them take over my pc to shut down background processes, install the proctor chat client, and the set up took about 90 minutes). On top of that, the assessment was very insulting as it included very, very, basic math and ridiculous brain teasers (I was very upset to see those on the assessment). It took about 3 (+90 mins of set up) hours to complete and I was aggravated by the entire thing. After the assessment, I had to take a personality test that was very contrived and poor. The following week yet another recruiter contacted me to say that they received my results and would get back to me in a one or two weeks. Two weeks went by and I hadn't heard anything so I asked the recruiter for an update.... no response, three weeks... no response, FOUR WEEKS... no response. During this period I was contacted by yet ANOTHER RECRUITER asking if I was interested in applying even though I was already a few weeks into the process (I told her that I was already in contact with another recruiter) and it made the impression that they were unorganized. The following week (almost 5 weeks from when she said "a week or two") I am contacted by yet another recruiter telling me I would not receive an offer. I asked for feedback but typically tech companies don't do that (unfortunately) and I asked for the score on my assessment but I doubt that I will ever hear from them again.

It was difficult for me not to use vulgar language above but the entire process was THE WORST INTERVIEW EXPERIENCE I've had. To give this statement some weight, I've had about a dozen interviews in the last year or so (not many but this one really stood out),

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in March 2014.

First Round is the phone interview coming with technical questions, some behavior questions and a introduction of epic. The behavior questions are why epic, why do you want this position and others already posted in this site. The technical questions are something about the design of the elevator. Given different situations, how would you design it. The second round is the online assessment. Just like what is posted in this site, such as colorful numbers, keyboard questions,etc. I am still waiting for the result.

Interview Questions
    • There are five sections for the online assessment now. It is unexpected but not difficult.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in April 2014.

First the will conduct a phone interview, which will be normal. No technical questions asked. It is a 1 hr interview probably with a developer, so as to see how you fit into their organisation. After that they will ask you to give an assessment test. This test is conducted only and is approx. 3 hrs. It includes all logical questions and some mathematical too. It is basically done to gather an understanding of how you think and what is your thought process. One of the part of the assessment is timed, rest are not.
    If applying for a developer, you will also get 4 programming questions which you can do in any language. The questions are somewhat tricky and you will have to have a good understanding of programming concepts if you want to get through it.
    If you clear this round, then they will call you for an onsite interview at there HQ. This is the time you will be able to have a good look at the company's workplace and their day to day life and environment. If you clear this round, then probably you will be getting an offer.
    Good Luck for it!!

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Madison, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in October 2013.

I applied online, after 1-2 months, I received phone interview with recuriter.
    I had 2 phone interviews and 1 online testing then after onsite interview, I received offer in a week.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in November 2013.

Pretty straightforward with questions that tested thinking. They asked me to provide a background of my experience, followed by what Epic does and how it is different.
    They mentioned that everyone enters as a software engineer which is a little difficult to believe. I asked about their Professional Services division that implemented projects, and they said they could consider me for that in the future rounds.

Interview Questions
    • If you're a robot that transmits a signal in any direction, how would you make it navigate in 3D space?   Answer Question

I needed more time to decide between my choices.

Software Engineer Interview

The process was very strange. For the first 'interview' they had me take a written test on campus. The test consisted mostly of 'IQ test' type logic questions such as "banana = 6, pear = 4, what does lemon equal?", which anyone with an ounce of common sense knows are useless for telling if somebody will make a good software developer or not, or even for telling if somebody is smart or not. They also asked for my SAT scores...who cares about IQ and SAT scores? Anyone who's smart knows that intellegence isn't a number, its the passion and drive to accomplish...actual accomplishments...in an effective way.

There was also a programming section of the test, which consisted entierly of dynamic programming questions. This was the only 'technical interview' I had to do -- their assesment of me as a programmer was based entierley on how well I knew this one algorithms tecnique. Dynamic programming is certainly a good thing to know, but its honestly not that relevant to most of software engineering: there are more important skills to test, such as object oriented design principles, technical communication skills, the ability to gauge the running time of an algorithm, and the ability to think outside the box to name a few. Dynamic programming is something you're supposed to throw into an interview to spice things up, not to use as a base for the whole process. They at no point had a human being ask me technical questions to gauge my ability. This is a huge red flag: If the company cares so little about testing the quality of new hires, its a very bad sign about the quality of employees working there

The onsite was also really weird. It consisted mostly of a tour of their very pretty office building, and of the company treating me to fancy dinners at nice restaurants in Madison. At no point was the work that they do there really discussed: I WAS given the chance to talk to an engineer, but all he told me was that 75% of the company uses visual basic (eew), 25% of the company uses C#, and that the company was moving in the direction of "web stuff". That doesn't tell me anything about what kinds of problems the employees there solve. Their product demo was given by a self-descriped "ui programmer"...it had a horrible UI from the 90's. I had a feeling the whole time that they were buttering me up to take some sort of plunge, rather than opening up an honest dialogue about what the position is like, and why I should or shouldn't want to take it.

The corporate culture also seemed to be very stuffy and arrogant: everyone kept talking about how "smart" the employes were, and about how profitable the company was, without ever discussing any achievments that actually matter: interesting technical challenges overcome, products that solved problems other companies did not solve, taking good care of their employees, that kind of thing. The company's motto is "Work Hard. Have Fun. Make Money". Thats the only thing I felt that they cared about, having a "fun" office building, being profitable, and working their employees too hard ( just read the reviews, especially for non programming positions).

Interview Questions
    • the dynamic programming questions would've been hard if I didn't know dynamic programming.   Answer Question

I got an extremily lucrative offer given the cost of living in the area from Epic, but I decided that I'd rather work for a better company doing more interesting work that pays a little bit less in a more exciting part of the country. Its really surprising just how much Epic struck me as a place for mediocre engineers that don't care about making the world a better place, given how succesfull the company is and how important their product is to the lives of so many people. Whatever Epic is doing right as a company (and evidently they're doing a lot of things right, or they wouldn't be so succesfull), it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the quality of their software from what I saw.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Phone interviewer ask me about some behavior questions such as why epic and introduce the project you did and the difficulty you met.

Interview Questions
    • HR said this is not technique interview but the interviewer ask a technique question   Answer Question

Worked for Epic Systems Corporation? Contribute to the Community!