Epic Systems Corporation Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 26, 2015

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in April 2015.

Interview

After a first email saying that they reviewed my resume and application they asked for a phone interview. We spoke about my background, the projects that I worked on and I had many occasions to ask anything that I wanted to know about the company and the job. After a couple of day they asked to go on in the process and I had the technical interview.
The technical interview is not a real interview, is more like an exam. You will use a system called ProctorU, that allows you to do this sort of online exam always having someone proctoring you so that you cannot cheat. The assessments are divided in 4 parts, as described below. The only things allowed during the exam are a calculator and pen and paper.
It wasn't too clear which was the maximum time allowed for the entire exam, probably 2 hours but 2 people at 2 different moments told me different things during the system setup before the start. After the 2 hours nothing stopped me and I went on on my exam. I took 3 and a half hours to complete everything (I know, definitely too slow, but it's a long exam trust me).
3 weeks after the technical interview they sent me an email saying that they have selected other candidates rather than me to go on with the selection process. End of my experience with Epic.

Interview Questions

• First part: general questions about logic and simple math. It's a speed test: you have 2 minutes and you have to try to answer as many questions as possible   Answer Question
  • Second part: Maths. General questions about logic and math, more complicated than the previous part. It's not a speed test but it's about accuracy. However, time is taken in consideration. No previous math knowledge is required, you won't be asked to prove a theorem or something like that. Logic and familiarity with calculations are the key to solve these problems.   Answer Question
  • Third part: learning a new programming language. They will test your ability to learn a new programming language teaching you a new and unknown programming language that it's probably the one that they use to create their products. It's different from all the others programming languages and they will start with the basics and step by step they will teach you more complicated stuff, but always remaining on a low complexity. At each step you have to answer questions about what you just learned. You are always able to go back and review all the previous pages if you're not sure about something. Not too difficult, but some questions are very tricky, be careful. Accuracy is the key, but time is taken in consideration.   Answer Question
  • Fourth part: general programming skills: you will have 4 problems to solve, writing a small program or function(s). You can use any language. Accuracy is the key, but time is taken in consideration. You have no help from the editor and you cannot compile or check any kind of error. The problems are not too difficult, but even the simplest problem can be solved in clever or stupid ways and they probably look at that. Most of the problems include simple mathematics, logic, and working on strings to check or modify them jumping from numbers to characters and vice versa. You don't need to use objects or anything complicated, everything can be solved in simple C if you want, but again is up to you to show your skills to them so use a good balance between time in writing the program, complexity, generality, etc.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Epic Systems Corporation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Madison, WI) in November 2014.

Interview

First they asked me to do an online coding test. Three weeks after that I got a short phone screening interview. Last stage is onsite interview. The employees at Epic is super friendly and showed us around the campus. I feel very relaxed during the interview. They made sure that you're not stressed during the interview so that you could do your best. They also introduced the company culture and their environmentally friendly buildings, which is very impressive to me.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview

The interview consists of 3 major rounds during their visit at my university. First was an aptitude objective exam, fairly easy. People who got through the first round sat in a coding round where four easy questions were asked. I was then interviewed about my resume and two algorithmic questions. The HR then talked to me about work culture and stuff. Got an offer soon after that

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to join us?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Madison, WI) in April 2015.

Interview

Phone interview at first, then technical assessment. Ask about projects, interests, and introduce the company. Technical assessment is horrible experience; using a third party website, a proctor is physically sitting on the other end and using your web cam to monitor you. He/she also remote control your laptop, search on your laptop to see any application is open and then close them, so insulting! They also let you hold up your laptop to check your surrounding, and make your move almost everything that's in a 5/6 ft radius, even some of my furnitures. The test itself is long; four parts, first three parts are short, fourth is programming; four questions unlimited time. Took up to hours to complete the programming section.

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Madison, WI) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online. First I got a phone screen with the most bored interviewer I've ever talked to. Then an online skills assessment a week later, half of which basically tests if you successfully passed middle school math. Spent a few hours doing that, pretty dumb. Coding questions were easy but long and repetitive. Like honestly, they pretty much tested the same concept 4 times.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview

I applied online. Selected for a phone interview.Question were simple and about my projects. I was informed that i was Proceeded to the next round with in 2 days of phone screen, Online Assessment, which was tough enough to get through. Interviewer's as well as HR's are friendly and accommodating.

Interview Questions

• 1.Arrange the words of a sentence according to assonance.   Answer Question
    • 2.Self Dividing numbers- verify. (88, 48, ) the number as a whole should be divisible by all the digits in the number.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Kansas City, MO) in March 2013.

Interview

One recruiter called for an phone interview. It was an pretty easy one with some basic question about programming. Then I received an email for the online programming test. I took it at home at it has programming part and math part.

Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Verona, WI) in March 2015.

Interview

Phone interview for screening, if passed, then the Online Assessment would be given to you. The Online Assessment is very hard, may lasting for 3 hours or even more. It includes math test and coding test. If passed, then the On-site face-to-face interview. The final offer would be determined based on the performance in all these interviews.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a software engineer? (for phone interview)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

First, I was asked few question in a simple phone interview. They asked my about my resume and two simple algorithm problem. The whole process went well. Then I finished an online assessment one week later. I was not well prepared, so that I was unable to solve some questions.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

The first round was basic phone call round and the second is a technical assessment.
    Technical assesment has 4 sections :
    -Programming.
    -Learning a new language.
    -Math round.
    -Quick fire round.

Waiting for the next round.

Interview Questions

• Programming questions : - ( refer epic career cup questions)

1) Look and say sequence