Epic Systems Corporation Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 24, 2015
Updated Mar 24, 2015

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Got a phone interview first. Very easy, most parts are regarding on behavioral questions. Only one technical question on A* algorithm. Not ask for code. just talk about A* algorithm and how it works. Ask about if there is no results, what A* would deal with. Then on-line assessment. I took 3 hours. I thought I did not bad, but just no pass.

Interview Questions
  • The online assessment is not hard. But I just spent too much time on it. One is on sorting, one is on BFS, and one is on combination set. The math and logic problems are ridiculous to me.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Epic Systems Corporation

Software Engineering Interview

First step is casual phone screen with a developer at Epic. Next step is an extensive online technical questionnaire that took nearly 4 hours to complete. I didn't advance beyond this round, although from what I'm reading of the other interview experiences it seems that onsites are right after. Quite surprising because companies usually have more rounds of off-site interviews, and usually not administered by a computer.

Software Engineer Interview

I was contacted for a quick phone interview. Answered very basic questions about software design choices. Nothing was explicitly technical except for choice of data structure. Then, I was asked to complete an online technical assessment which took around 3 hours. I was contacted after this to say they would get back to me in 1-2 weeks and never heard back.

Interview Questions
    • Design a checkers game that chooses the longest path the player can jump.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in November 2014.

Met a campus recruiter and applied online. Received email confirmation in a reasonable amount of time asking to set up a phone interview. This call really isn't an interview, they just wanted to ask 1) why Epic, and 2) why software engineering. They ask a few questions off your resume but let you ask any questions you have of them. Separate from the phone interview, I was given a ProctorU account and told to take an online skills assessment. There are four sections on this test. One is a speed section with math word problems. One section they give you a dead computing language and explain how it works and ask you to evaluate increasingly complicated expressions. Another section is a bunch of math questions which are more like riddles, they were the most interesting part of the exam so do this section when you want a break from the other more dry sections. Last section is 4 programming questions. Pretty intense compared to other technical interviews. Most of the programs involved enumerating sets of strings.

Interview Questions
    • Enumerate all possible anagrams of a random string where capital letters, numbers, and symbols are not allowed to move within the string.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in November 2014.

Talked to an Epic engineer at my University's career fair. Ended getting a response about two weeks later requesting that I do a online technical examination with ProctorU and also have a chat with an Epic engineer. Exam took roughly 2 hours & 45 Minutes. Questions varied from general math, to logic, to programming problems. Talk with the engineer was very friendly and non-technical. Mostly chatted about my resume, professional interests, and the work done at Epic. Programming problems were the hardest part but I ended up answering all (Some weren't the most efficient solution possible though). Got a response back asking to go to the Epic campus for an on-site interview. Before arriving they asked that I do a short online behavioral interview which took ~30 minutes. Hotel I stayed at was very nice. The on-site interview took several hours, mostly consisting of a tour of the large and stunning campus. Had lunch with other prospective hires and an Epic engineer. There was a technical and a behavioral interview as the last part of the day. I very much disliked having to do the ProctorU exam.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about one of your projects. Implementation details, biggest challenges, how would you improve certain aspects?   Answer Question
    • Design a database that can allow you to search through a collection of books by title, author, genre, description. Wasn't really asking about which database technology you should use. Was more focused on which data structures would be the best fit for each of the types of queries. Asked follow up questions based on performance and space constraints.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in November 2014.

Fast HR process. Got an interview a week after I submitted my resume. I was asked to make a phone interview for 30 minutes. It went poorly simply because it was my first interview and I got nervous. Talked about my experience and the guy who interviewed me introduced the company. The next day I scheduled the tedious 4-hour long online test with people watching me through the camera. I did not think it is the best first interview experience one can have.

Interview Questions
    • Need a calculator for the quick response part. I did not have one so I failed to finish all the timed math questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied through other source. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in November 2014.

When I started the interview process I was a senior with 8 months till graduation.

First contact was a phone call with an engineer at the company, very casual. This was followed by a very long online proctored online interview.

It was about 3 hours or so, with four sections. Only one of the sections is timed, the "speed math" section, the other three sections, programming languages, not-speed-math, and algorithms have no time limit. Portions of this online test felt very patronizing.

Soon after this I was invited to the campus for an online interview and to see the campus, paid in full. The night I arrived I was offered to go to dinner with a current employee to talk about the surrounding area and to try cheese curds for the first time. In the morning a few other candidates and I took a taxi to the campus and began our interviews, starting with an introduction to the company software. The order may be wrong, but I had a "group interview" where we formed small groups and talked to current employees, it was very casual and not really worth of being called an interview. This was followed by a short one on one technical interview where I was asked to draw some ER diagrams and solve some very basic problems with pen and paper. The next interview was about my experience and resume, this too was relaxed and more of a chat than an interview. If you get to the on site interview you should be pretty confident, it is much easier than the online version.

Interview Questions
    • (Speed-Math Section)Somewhere between 12 and 20 quick algebra problems like this with only a few minutes to solve as many as you can. Example: It takes 2 teenagers 1.5 days to eat 3 pizzas. How many days does it take 5 teenagers to eat 10 pizzas?
      (Math Section) A lot of these types of facebook IQ test questions: A fox is climbing a 100 foot hill, every second he ascends 4 feet and then drops 3 feet. How many seconds does it take him to reach the top of the hill?
      (Algorithm Section)Four problems total, here is the only one I remember: You are to write a function in any language you choose that takes as input a square matrix and a number of clockwise turns, return the rotated matrix.

The programming language section was very strange and possible the most difficult of them all. Each question introduces you to more and more information about a fictional programming language created for the interview and asks you questions about how to use it. You must skip around a lot and go back to previous questions to answer them properly.

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in November 2014.

I got the onsite request 1 week after I finished the online assignment. The process is simple, no technical question. First they give a short instruction on their company and products, then we have a chance to ask an engineer kinds of questions. Next there were two 1 to 1 talk. They'll let you talk about the things on your resume. After that another person came in and asked me a question, non-technical. This is what I did in the morning. After lunch they gave us a tour of the campus, it quite interesting. At last there were a talking to a HR.

Interview Questions
    • Image a situation that a patient make a call to the hospital, the person who answer the call should allocate a doctor to the patient. If this guy leaves for some reason, how could the doctor find the patient?   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in November 2014.

First, I was asked few question in a simple phone interview. They asked my about my resume and two simple algorithm problem. The whole process went well. Then I finished an online assessment one week later. I was not well prepared, so that I was unable to solve some questions.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

1. 20 minute phone screen, which were all behavioral questions and questions about your resume.
    2. 3-5 hour technical assessment with 3 sections: 2 minute rapid problem solving speed test, math/brain teasers, introduce you to a new language and ask you syntax questions about it, 4 programming questions.

Interview Questions
    • Given a checker board, find the length of the longest path one player can take. You can only make a jump to the left, right, up, or down, and you must have an opponent's piece adjacent to you in that direction and an empty spot after that opponent's piece in the same direction.   Answer Question