Epic Systems Corporation

Getting the Interview

173 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Technical Services Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in April 2014.

Interview Details – Epic came to campus as part of a career fair. The recruiter was easy to talked to and seemed to be more interested in my social skills rather than any accomplishments. Regardless, he told me to submit my application online (pretty much just a resume and a few very basic questions).

Got a email to schedule a phone interview about 2 or 3 days later. The phone interview itself was probably a week after. It was extremely simple, just answering a few questions regarding your resume, a few logistics regarding the position (TS), and a few basic and cliche interview questions.

About another week passes and I get another email saying to take an online test through ProctorU. I schedule it for 3 days later. It was composed of a math section (SAT level stuff with some logic riddles mixed in), verbal questions, and a programming section. I don't know any real programming languages but just used pseudo-code from my MATLAB experience. It must have been good enough because after another week I got invited to an on-site interview which I scheduled for the following week.

The onsite interview was nice but drawn out. Everything was paid for so I can't complain too much. The first night is completely informal where we had a dinner with a current TS employee. The second day is pretty much all demonstrations/tours/show and tell. There was a 30 minute verbal test (not sure why I had to do another one), and a 30 minute case study which was actually enjoyable and fun.

They told me that I'd hear back in a week or two. Overall, from start to finish it's probably been 2 months. A long process but I'm not in a rush.

Interview Question – Some of the logic questions were tough but not impossible. The nondisclosure prevents me from giving specifics.   Answer Question

Technical Services Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in March 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process took about 4 weeks. I submitted my resume and application online. In a few days, I received an email to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was very basic, where the interviewer asked me to confirm some info that I put in my application, whether I had any coding experience before and walked through my resume, places I've worked, what I liked and didn't like about the places, etc.

The next week, I took a skills assessment exam done via webcam by ProctorU. It took about 2 hours to finish. The assessment is split into different sections with some being simple math and others on computer science basics. One section gave five different problems and you had to write a code for each to solve each problem. I had no prior coding experience, so I left this entire section blank. In addition, I also had to complete something called a Rembrandt Profile, which took about 15 minutes.

The next week, I received an email asking me to fly on-site for a second round. I flew in to Madison the morning the afternoon before my interview, they put me in a very nice hotel and had dinner with an Epic employee as well as a group of other candidates, which was very nice. I arrived at Epic the next morning. After some breakfast, a group of us received a short software demo. Then we split off into smaller groups. Someone from the Technical Services department gave us an overview of the TS department and answered any of our questions. Afterwards was a one-on-one case interview that involved reading some example emails and voicemails, and then asking how you would prioritize certain things as well as many questions along the lines of: "Here is this situation. What is your first step?" Then, after a short grammar assessment, I had a one-on-one HR interview where they looked over my application, asked about my future plans, why I chose Epic, etc. Finally I had lunch and a tour and flew back home.

A week and a half later, I received an email saying they decided to move forward with other applicants.

Interview Question – Suppose you have a client who doesn't completely trust you or isn't totally sure you can do a good job. How would you go about making them trust you?   Answer Question

Technical Services Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details – The interview process started with a scheduled phone interview which lasted approximately 20 minutes. This was followed by an invitation to the Epic campus in Verona for an all-day visit. The day consisted of a couple 1:1 interviews and a series of skill tests, including some programming-based ones. All in all, the interview process was very streamlined and relatively quick.

Interview Question – The most "difficult" question was probably the series of case studies, which asked how you would deal with issues posed by clients and how you would prioritize certain tasks. These can be answered based on common sense and are really not that difficult. The programming test may be tough if you haven't coded in a while, but pseudocode is permitted.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Wanted to pursue a master's degree; job did not really match my career interests

Verona, WI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in February 2014.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by a recruiter who had seen my resume online and encouraged me to apply for the position. After filling out the initial online application, I was scheduled to complete a brief phone interview. This interview was very basic and mostly used to gauge my interests and basic qualifications.
A few days after this, I was contacted to schedule a skills test. This test was a webcam proctored test and seemed to focus on creative thinking and analytical skills. Additionally, there was a portion dedicated to basic programming; however, this section tested your ability to quickly learn the programming information they provided. I think the entire assessment took me just over two hours. At the same time, I was also required to take a Rembrandt personality test.
Within the next couple days, I was invited to schedule an on-site interview. All the cost associated with traveling for this interview was covered by Epic. The interview consisted of a company overview and demo, informational meeting for my specific position, situational assessment, HR interview, campus tour, and a more focused programming assessment. This assessment did not require you to know any programming languages.

Interview Question – Be prepared to do some basic programming. Even if you do not know any languages having a basic knowledge of establishing logic in a program is very beneficial.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer was very competitive. One advantage of Epic is they have a very flexible acceptance time period if you are in the process of considering other positions.

Technical Services Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details – I sent in my resume through my university's job portal. I was contacted by Epic and had a quick phone interview with HR. Then I had to take a webcam proctored test that took approximately 3 hours where I was tested on logical questions and programming. About a week after that I was contacted to fly out for an interview on site in Verona, WI. They put you in a nice hotel and you have the option to have a casual, fun dinner with a current employee. The interview started at 8 a.m. the next day which was pretty relaxed. They explain what Epic is and give you a tour of the campus which is unreal, look up pictures because it's hard to explain. I had to do a case study of how to prioritize problems, take another logic test on a computer, and have an end interview with HR. One week later they called with my offer.

Interview Question – If we were to ask [insert reference name here] what your weaknesses are, what would he/she say?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – 1. The position didn't have to do with any of my schooling, I would learn how to do everything there.
2. Location: so cold.
3. I have heard that they have a tremendous amount of work and work long hours without compensation.
4. Riding off three, the salary didn't seem to be enough for the amount of work.

Very Easy Interview

Madison, WI

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in July 2011.

Interview Details – Starts with phone interview, then they fly you on onsite. Onsite interviews consist of taking a few logic/GRE-like tests then a one on one interview.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation possible.

Technical Services Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details – There were multiple steps to the process. These included: An online application form, a phone interview, a battery of online tests (personality, programming, math, english), an in-person interview, and an intensive on-site programming test.

Interview Question – There were several programming questions. If you didn't know any programming languages (like me), this was quite challenging/nearly impossible.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They gave me over a month to decide. However, I was not able to negotiate my salary, vacation time, or benefits at all.

Technical Services

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in December 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through university recruiting.

1st round phone interview - mostly an informational interview; interviewer talked about the different roles available at Epic. Was asked a couple questions about my background and what qualities I'm looking for in a job.

About a week later, I completed a 3 hour online assessment, testing math (around SAT level logic, word problems) and programming skills (interpreting code and 3 short programming questions).

2nd round on-campus interview - had dinner with two Epic employees and one other interviewee the night before. Interview day started with tutorial of the Epic system, and a meeting with a TS employee who explained the TS role in detail. Afterwards was a short interview consisting of a case study and a couple resume questions. After a group lunch (btw the cafeteria food is amazing, and super cheap), there was a short tour of the Epic campus and an HR interview. Overall the Epic visit was actually pretty fun.

Interview Question – TS case study - not actually that difficult but hard to prepare for   Answer Question

Madison, WI

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in September 2013.

Interview Details – Began with a phone interview. Very basic and simple. Talked about what they do, what work life is like, etc. Only one technical question.

They asked me to take a computer skills assessment test. My computer was monitored by a proctor via webcam. The skills assessment took about 3 hours: standard coding questions, math problems, and reasoning ability tests.

Shortly after, I received a call for an on-site interview. I had two interviews: one for Technical Services and the other for Business Intelligence Developer. They gave me scenarios and asked me how I would approach the problem. Finally, there will be one more computer skill assessment test.

Interview Question – During the phone interview: How would you program a robot with a laser sensing detector to follow a person around?   Answer Question

Verona, WI

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details – Recruited during on campus career fair and instructed to apply online. After filling out generic information and taking a basic aptitude test, I was invited to a phone interview with another employee. After that, I took a monitored test on basic math and computer science skills. I was then invited to campus for an onsite interview consisting of a programming assessment and multiple interviews.

Interview Question – What was the most maddening thing about your last internship?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Wasn't the best choice for me

Interviews for Top Jobs at Epic Systems Corporation

Worked for Epic Systems Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Epic Systems Corporation Technical Services interview questions and advice. All 173 interview reviews posted anonymously by Epic Systems Corporation employees and interview candidates.