Epic Systems Corporation

Average Difficulty
178 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Technical Services

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in June 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through university career fair and was contacted to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview mainly consisted of factual confirmation on my resume (university name,graduation date, major, etc.). This included questions about any school and work experience. The interview also included some typical behavioral type questions. Interview then provided information about the position and answered any questions I had about the position or the company. The interview probably lasted 20-30 minutes.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in five years?   Answer Question

Verona, WI

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in April 2010.

Interview Details – Interesting interview process. They ask you intellectually stimulating questions to decipher whether or not you think like they do. I was initially declined a job offer, but then granted one 3 months later. I am not sure how their process works, so good luck.

Interview Question – Solving analytical story problems by hand. You also have to think quick, since a lot of questions are thrown your way in a limited amount of time.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, take it or leave it.

Madison, WI

The process took 3 months - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in February 2014.

Interview Details – They contacted me via email first, I emailed back saying I was interested. Had two phone interviews, then an online assessment test proctored by someone via webcam, this included a coding section which was extremely difficult for me considering I have no programming experience. I wrote pseudo code for the first of the four questions, and the rest I honestly left blank on a test which was supposed to take two hours. Somehow, I was called in to have an onsite interview later, this was about 2 months into the whole process.

Onsite Interview:
Do NOT wear a suit, you will look out of place in a bad way. I wore nice khakis and a collared shirt under a sweater but even then you could go more casual. I would suggest a tucked in, collared shirt and no tie and go from there.

Started with a presentation in a room of me, 3 epic employees, and 4 other candidates who were all interviewing for different positions. Myself and the other Technical Services candidate both met with an older TS employee and kind of had a dual interview with him, no hard questions he pretty much just told us about what the job entailed.

Then we got split up so I had to go do a case study with two younger TS employees, just answering basic questions about how to prioritize problems and deal with customers.

Then we got a very long tour around most of the facility, which is an extremely impressive place by the way, if a little unprofessional, but that seems to be the vibe they're going for to try to reel people in.

Then I took a verbal reasoning test on a computer, basically just seeing if you understand grammar messups like they're/their/there and then/than. Then a more of a puzzle test about solving word problems, can't remember an example but it wasn't that hard but you definitely have to think about the answer for a second.

Then they put us back in our original group of 4 and ate lunch with an employee, just chatting and being friendly. Finally I had a final interview with HR where he didn't really ask me much except for things like "how much are you willing to travel?" "what pay are you thinking?", that type of HR bookkeeping stuff.

Done.

Overall it seems like more of the day is spent trying to sell you on how great the company is and how cool and fun and hip the building is rather than getting to know you. It's understandable since the company is so large and they recruit so many candidates, but it kind of makes you wonder what the catch is. Apparently the catch is that they will scare you into overworking so much that you will be burnt out in 2 years of 55-65 hour work weeks, from what I hear. I could definitely see that being the case; 75% of the employees I saw were under the age of 26, which is fine but it shows a high turnover rate, and illustrates how they prey on new college grads and just use them until they find a less insane job.

Interview Question – The online coding test before hand was easily the hardest.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I had a better offer I took that was more in line with my long term goals.

Interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation

Interview Details – I participated in a phone interview and online job assessment with Epic Systems for a position in Technical Services. The phone interview basically consisted of 3 portions: background on the company as a whole, information about the position and how it works, and then any questions I may have. In total, the interview lasted about 30 minutes.

The online job assessment was not very difficult, but was a little strange since I had never done one like that before. They use an online proctoring company that monitors your computer as you do various tests. These consist of things like logical reasoning questions and intro level computer programming programs.

Interview Question – There really weren't any difficult or unexpected questions in the phone interview, but you should make sure you have good questions to ask them!   Answer Question

Madison, WI

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in April 2014.

Interview Details – I had initially been contacted through a campus recruiter recommending that I apply online. I did and was almost immediately contacted to set up a phone interview, followed by an online reasoning test, and then I was flown out to Madison for a whole day visit. The only real complaint that I had was that I was pushed through the process almost too quickly – before I even got a chance to tell them that I was more interested in a different position with the company then TS I was already on to the next round, and I didn't have a chance to really pursue implementation – which I think I would enjoy more.

Interview Question – None of it was difficult or unexpected for me.   Answer Question

Technical Services

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in April 2014.

Interview Details – Epic came to campus as part of a career fair. The recruiter was easy to talked to and seemed to be more interested in my social skills rather than any accomplishments. Regardless, he told me to submit my application online (pretty much just a resume and a few very basic questions).

Got a email to schedule a phone interview about 2 or 3 days later. The phone interview itself was probably a week after. It was extremely simple, just answering a few questions regarding your resume, a few logistics regarding the position (TS), and a few basic and cliche interview questions.

About another week passes and I get another email saying to take an online test through ProctorU. I schedule it for 3 days later. It was composed of a math section (SAT level stuff with some logic riddles mixed in), verbal questions, and a programming section. I don't know any real programming languages but just used pseudo-code from my MATLAB experience. It must have been good enough because after another week I got invited to an on-site interview which I scheduled for the following week.

The onsite interview was nice but drawn out. Everything was paid for so I can't complain too much. The first night is completely informal where we had a dinner with a current TS employee. The second day is pretty much all demonstrations/tours/show and tell. There was a 30 minute verbal test (not sure why I had to do another one), and a 30 minute case study which was actually enjoyable and fun.

They told me that I'd hear back in a week or two. Overall, from start to finish it's probably been 2 months. A long process but I'm not in a rush.

Interview Question – Some of the logic questions were tough but not impossible. The nondisclosure prevents me from giving specifics.   Answer Question

Technical Services

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in March 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process took about 4 weeks. I submitted my resume and application online. In a few days, I received an email to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was very basic, where the interviewer asked me to confirm some info that I put in my application, whether I had any coding experience before and walked through my resume, places I've worked, what I liked and didn't like about the places, etc.

The next week, I took a skills assessment exam done via webcam by ProctorU. It took about 2 hours to finish. The assessment is split into different sections with some being simple math and others on computer science basics. One section gave five different problems and you had to write a code for each to solve each problem. I had no prior coding experience, so I left this entire section blank. In addition, I also had to complete something called a Rembrandt Profile, which took about 15 minutes.

The next week, I received an email asking me to fly on-site for a second round. I flew in to Madison the morning the afternoon before my interview, they put me in a very nice hotel and had dinner with an Epic employee as well as a group of other candidates, which was very nice. I arrived at Epic the next morning. After some breakfast, a group of us received a short software demo. Then we split off into smaller groups. Someone from the Technical Services department gave us an overview of the TS department and answered any of our questions. Afterwards was a one-on-one case interview that involved reading some example emails and voicemails, and then asking how you would prioritize certain things as well as many questions along the lines of: "Here is this situation. What is your first step?" Then, after a short grammar assessment, I had a one-on-one HR interview where they looked over my application, asked about my future plans, why I chose Epic, etc. Finally I had lunch and a tour and flew back home.

A week and a half later, I received an email saying they decided to move forward with other applicants.

Interview Question – Suppose you have a client who doesn't completely trust you or isn't totally sure you can do a good job. How would you go about making them trust you?   Answer Question

Technical Services

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details – The interview process started with a scheduled phone interview which lasted approximately 20 minutes. This was followed by an invitation to the Epic campus in Verona for an all-day visit. The day consisted of a couple 1:1 interviews and a series of skill tests, including some programming-based ones. All in all, the interview process was very streamlined and relatively quick.

Interview Question – The most "difficult" question was probably the series of case studies, which asked how you would deal with issues posed by clients and how you would prioritize certain tasks. These can be answered based on common sense and are really not that difficult. The programming test may be tough if you haven't coded in a while, but pseudocode is permitted.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Wanted to pursue a master's degree; job did not really match my career interests

Verona, WI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in February 2014.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by a recruiter who had seen my resume online and encouraged me to apply for the position. After filling out the initial online application, I was scheduled to complete a brief phone interview. This interview was very basic and mostly used to gauge my interests and basic qualifications.
A few days after this, I was contacted to schedule a skills test. This test was a webcam proctored test and seemed to focus on creative thinking and analytical skills. Additionally, there was a portion dedicated to basic programming; however, this section tested your ability to quickly learn the programming information they provided. I think the entire assessment took me just over two hours. At the same time, I was also required to take a Rembrandt personality test.
Within the next couple days, I was invited to schedule an on-site interview. All the cost associated with traveling for this interview was covered by Epic. The interview consisted of a company overview and demo, informational meeting for my specific position, situational assessment, HR interview, campus tour, and a more focused programming assessment. This assessment did not require you to know any programming languages.

Interview Question – Be prepared to do some basic programming. Even if you do not know any languages having a basic knowledge of establishing logic in a program is very beneficial.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer was very competitive. One advantage of Epic is they have a very flexible acceptance time period if you are in the process of considering other positions.

Technical Services

I applied through college or university and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details – There were multiple steps to the process. These included: An online application form, a phone interview, a battery of online tests (personality, programming, math, english), an in-person interview, and an intensive on-site programming test.

Interview Question – There were several programming questions. If you didn't know any programming languages (like me), this was quite challenging/nearly impossible.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They gave me over a month to decide. However, I was not able to negotiate my salary, vacation time, or benefits at all.

Worked for Epic Systems Corporation? Contribute to the Community!