Epic Systems Corporation

Getting the Interview

174 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Madison, WI

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in April 2011.

Interview Details – Computerized aptitude test (requires selecting all four options in order preferred)
phone interview - basics of how technical you are, and US Employability
on-site interview - Dinner the night before, 2-3 written tests (basic computer syntax adaptability, problem solving, programming), product demo, Lunch, general interview and position-specific interview
It took 1-2 weeks to hear back after the interview.

Interview Question – Name 5 things you are not   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation

Madison, WI

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in April 2013.

Interview Details – First they asked for my resume and finish the application online. It seems they offer every candidate a phone interview. The phone interview was very straightforward and nothing tricky, but to confirm the contents in the resume. The person who talked with me spent most of the time introducing the duties of the job. One week later, I received an email saying "we've decided after careful consideration to move forward with other candidates"

Interview Question – She asked "where do you see yourself in 5 years"   Answer Question

Madison, WI

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in April 2013.

Interview Details – Ask basic questions, like what project did you do, which one do you like most and why, what is your desired position. do you have programming skills. Then HR introduced the company and asked what kind of area I am interested in.

Interview Question – Most questions are routine questions   Answer Question

Madison, WI

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in February 2013.

Interview Details – I got an email from them saying they had seen my resume on my university's career services website. I was then told to apply online, within a day I got an email asking to arrange a phone interview. The phone interview was very basic, pretty much only asked why I would want to work at Epic. About a week later, I got an email inviting me to fly out to Madison for an interview. At Epic, they bring you out to dinner the night before and start off the day with a tour of the campus. Then a case interview and a more standard interview with human resources and finally a logic and SAT-like test.

Interview Question – The case interview wasn't that hard, but I had never done one before.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I did not like Madison. Got an offer in a better city.

Interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation

Interview Details – I gave my resume to epic at a career fair, and within four days was told to apply for the Technical Services (TS) position. After completing a psychological profile and my application, it took about two weeks (it would have been shorter, I made a few mistakes) until my phone interview with them. Then I had the opportunity for an on campus interview as soon as a little under two weeks. They offered me a chance to have dinner with an employee. the on-campus interview consisted of a tour of their facilities as well as a scenario test, and I had to give a presentation. I also had to take a few tests that were logic based.

Interview Question – Five adjectives to describe who you are not.   Answer Question

Technical Services

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details – Met a recruiter at an oncampus career fair, they took my resume and emailed me the next day to come in for a programming and logic test. Test was long but not too hard. Applied online and got a phone interview not long after that. Phone interview was very basic and casual.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Technical Services

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in March 2013.

Interview Details – I applied using my school's career services program for the Technical Services position. During my application, I had to take an online personality test that asked me to describe various aspects of my personality. About a week after I applied, I received a called to schedule a phone interview with an Epic employee. I was asked about some projects on my resume, my programming experience, and how I felt about living in Madison, WI. At the end of the interview, I was told I would be selected to move on to the next stage - a proctored skills exam.

About 2 weeks later, Epic sent an exam to a local testing center. Before taking it, my HR contact told me there would be programming, math and verbal sections. The exam consisted of four sections: a 2 minute math portion where you had to complete as many word problems as possible in the time allotted, a programming portion where a new language was introduced and you had to answer questions based on its rules, a "math" portion that consisted mainly of logic-type riddles, and a verbal portion where I had to fix grammar in a variety of sentences presented to me. Overall, I thought the test went just okay. I was surprised that Epic judges their candidates on how well they respond to riddles, rather than aspects of their technical competence and background. The test claims that you are being judged on speed and accuracy, so I focused equally on completing the test quickly and getting the right answers. I didn't think about some of the problems as deeply as I should have because I was under the impression that my speed would be more of a factor.

Two weeks after the test I received an email that they were moving forward with other candidates. Overall, dealing with Epic was a positive experience, but I was pretty disappointed that my hard work, good grades, and technical competence were placed as a distant second priority to how well I answered riddles. Admittedly I am just bitter because I did not perform well on the assessment, but I thought Epic's culture and the nature of the work they do was awesome, so blowing my opportunity with them is a little painful.

Interview Question – You have a bunch of flowers. All but two are roses, all but two are tulips. and all but two are dandelions. How many flowers do you have?   View Answers (4)

Madison, WI

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in March 2013.

Interview Details – I found Epic through my university's career education website, applied online in early February, and shortly after I received an email asking that I take the Rembrandt Personality Test. I think this was just a basic screen to see if you'd be a good fit for the position you just applied for. I heard back from HR two days later to set up a phone interview.

The phone interview was somewhat short (30-40 minutes) and consisted mainly of the interviewer, who was a Technical Services employee, confirm the stuff I put on my resume and talk about his position, making sure that it was still something I was interested in. Wasn't really much of an interview at all really, other than a couple of generic questions like "Where do you see yourself in five years?" It was mostly just a screening round to see if I was actually serious about the job. About a week after the phone interview they contacted me inviting me for an on-site interview. Apparently other reviewers had to take a proctored programming test before they were invited on-site, but that wasn't the case for me. I'm not sure what the deciding factor is...oh well.

Anyway, the on-site interview is a total marathon, so be on your A-game. Caffeine is your ally on this day. Just like the other reviewers said: you're flown in the day before, put up in one of six hotels downtown, invited to dinner with a current employee (if you so choose), and then interviewed ALL DAY the following day. Then you're whisked back to the airport immediately afterward.

I was interviewing alongside at least two dozen other candidates for all different positions, and we were kind of led around like sheep all day. It was weird. On the plus side, the whole interview process is very structured and organized with frequent mini-breaks in between portions, so it won't get overwhelming. On the other hand, it's nine hours of tours, interviews, presentations, and computer assessments. Each agenda varies from person to person; during my phone interview I expressed interest in the Project Manager position, so during my on-site interview I had to give a short presentation to a panel of employees, but no other Technical Services candidate had to. Also the programming assessment is by far the hardest part of the interview, and it's at the end of the day for most people. Beware! I wasn't able to finish the last question on the programming assessment in time, but they were like "Oh that's fine, it happens a lot. We'll just set up a proctor once you get home so you can finish it there." So no worries.

HR told me they would get back to me within a week, but I didn't hear back for almost two weeks - likely because I told them I didn't have any other outstanding job offers. On the flipside, a friend of mine told them that he did have another job offer, and he ended up hearing back from Epic before he even boarded the plane to go home. So I suppose if you were really eager to hear back immediately, you could just tell them you have an outstanding job offer...

Interview Question – The programming assessment. If you do a significant amount of coding, then it won't be much trouble, but if you haven't coded in a while (like me), then it'll be tough. Luckily they let you write in pseudocode if you want to, so as long as it looks like code and follows a code-like logic process, it should be fine. This also means that they're testing your ability to rationalize through a coding problem instead of your expertise in any specific programming language. So don't stress, and use lots of comments to explain your thought process!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Haven't officially accepted yet because I'm still interviewing with other companies. But they basically just state the terms of the offer and you either accept or decline. There's no negotiation to be done.

Technical Services

Interview Details – I applied online and then had a phone interview that lasted about 30 minutes. After that, they flew me out to Madison, WI for a full day of interviews and assessments. They paid for everything (flight, meals, hotel, cabs) and the accommodations were really nice.

I started the day with a software demo, then a tour of a few buildings. Then I had a case interview, some assessment tests, and lunch with an employee. After lunch I gave my 20 presentation and talked with a woman in HR about the position, travel, relocation, etc. After I finished my assessment tests, I took a cab straight to the airport. The whole process lasted about 6-7 hours.

Interview Question – I wasn't prepared to list two negative things my references would say about me. Overall though, the questions are standard interview things.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The culture kind of creeped me out. They are all about you hanging out with Epic employees and your life becoming all about Epic. It was like when you meet someone and you know something is off, but you aren't sure what it is. That creepy feeling is Epic.

Madison, WI

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in March 2013.

Interview Details – Was flown out to Madison, WI. Had a dinner with someone who was in Technical Services along with 3 other candidates. Went to a bar and played trivia. Asked lots of questions about the job, location, life around Madison - very helpful.

Next day took a tour of the campus, received a presentation about the software, talked to someone more senior in Technical Services, did a case study, exit interview, lunch, a verbal skills test. That's it. Haven't heard back yet, but it's only been a few days. Hopeful.

Interview Question – What I disliked the most about the job   Answer Question