Epic Systems Corporation

Updated Feb 21, 2015
Updated Feb 21, 2015

2.9

Technical Writer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

The phone interview was very simple and pleasant. Definitely one of the most enjoyable parts of the interview process. The questions were very simple, and I got a lot of helpful information about the company and the position. The next steps after the phone interview are a series of tests, which I am in the process of taking.

Interview Questions
  • "Would you be willing to travel?" was one of the questions I got in the phone interview, and I wasn't really prepared for it because the website did not specify a travel requirement for my position. At least some willingness to travel seems to be an asset.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Epic Systems Corporation

Technical Writer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in January 2015.

Their interview process is a bit of a gauntlet but they do their best to make it enjoyable. I went through the first two rounds which were a phone interview and an online skills and personality assessment. Overall the phone interview was pretty standard and the woman I spoke with was quite friendly and informative. The skills assessment and personality test were a bit more intense and took a combined total of about 3 hours or so to complete.

Interview Questions
    • No real curve balls, just your standard interview questions.   Answer Question

Technical Writer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

I had a very straightforward phone interview followed by a personality test. I had to take an exam that took about 2 hours to complete. The questions on this exam tested my writing skills and basic math/ programming skills.

Technical Writer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in December 2014.

About a week after I applied, I received an e-mail inviting me to schedule a 30 minute phone conversation and to submit a writing sample within 24 hours of that phone conversation. I was given about a week to complete all this. The phone conversation was simple. Explain your background, answer a few general questions and then ask stuff about life at EPIC. Afterward, they had me do a skills test (nothing you can really study for; it has questions on Math, Verbal Reasoning and Logic). The one unique section is where they give you little lessons in programming language and have you answer questions about what you've learned. If I was invited forward the next step, I believe would have been going to Madison for an on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    • All pretty simple; at least at this first level -- (i.e.Where do you plan to be in 5 years?)   Answer Question

Technical Writer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in November 2014.

I applied for this position online after being reached out to by a recruiter and initially communicated via email. After sending my resume, I completed a short phone interview (around half an hour) of basic interview questions. After that, I completed a two hour writing sample consisting of three different prompts. Following that, I was required to complete two different standardized tests (one was allegedly a personality assessment and the other tested various critical reasoning skills) that took around two and a half hours total. I had a very short time frame in which to complete the above assessments (5 days) and didn't make it further in the interview process. I was emailed by a different person for every other step of the process which was a little confusing-the whole process seemed very disjointed to me but each recruiter that emailed me was very open to questions and relatively informative about the process.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really any difficult questions to me, all were pretty standard interview questions like "where do you see yourself in five years" and "what's your biggest weakness" or "why are you interested in this position," etc.   Answer Question

Technical Writer Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Applied online. After a couple weeks, I was invited to have a phone interview. The phone interview was very basic and relaxed. I was asked a few questions about why I was interested in the position, what I knew about Epic, etc., and I asked a few more detailed questions about the position.

Within 24 hours of the phone interview, I also had to complete an online writing test and a personality test. Both were fairly easy. The writing test consisted of three short prompts and took a little over an hour.

After a couple more weeks, I was invited to take a proctored online assessment. Basically, you take a series of tests with your webcam on while someone watches you. There was a math section similar to the SAT (word problems only though), a verbal section that seemed very similar to the LSAT, a programming section involving a madeup language, and a math speed test.

A couple days after that, I was invited for an onsite interview. I was pretty impressed with this portion. Epic puts you in a nice hotel and pays for all of your food and travel. A word of advice: go to the (supposedly) optional dinner. The actual interview consists of a series of half hour meetings with various people from morning until mid-afternoon. It's fairly relaxed. Just think of plenty of questions to keep the conversation going when necessary. I also had another writing test at the end of the day.

Received an offer about 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me five things you are not.
      Where do you see yourself in five and ten years?

Answer Question

Technical Writer Interview

skills assessment test was straightforward but you need to answer questions fast, dont linger. About half of the questions were math based but seemed to not have a real answer. The point is to figure out how you answer the question and how long it takes you to get there. If you dont get it just guess.

Interview Questions
    • Math related, something about basketball and number of wins and losses.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI
    Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in October 2014.

Step 1--I applied online through Epic's website. There was a short application to fill out and I also had to send my transcript, a resume, and a cover letter

Step 2--I was contacted by email within a few days to set up a phone interview. They gave me several days/times to choose from. The phone interview was about 30 minutes and the woman I talked to was really helpful and easy to talk to because she was employed as a technical writer (the position I was applying for).

Step 3--I had to complete a 3 part writing sample test. Part one was writing up an article based on information listed, part two was writing a press release, and part three was commenting on two cover letters. There was also a Personality Profile to complete (Rembrandt Personality Profile).

Step 4--I had to schedule an "E-proctored" exam. It had 4 parts: a timed question part where I got 2 minutes to answer as many short questions as I could (they were math and logic questions). The other parts were English language skills, math skills and a part where I had to answer questions about a computer programming language. The "E-proctoring" part of the exam requires you to have a computer with a webcam and speakers.

Step 5--Would have been a day-long in person interview and tour of the headquarters in Verona.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Also, the math and programming sections of the exam was difficult for me since I haven't done math recently and had no experience with programming or coding.

Answer Question

Technical Writer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

I applied to Epic in late July after being referred by an employee. After about two weeks, they emailed me to schedule for a phone interview - this took a little extra time due some miscommunication between me and the HR person. I was also given a 2-hour writing assessment. It wasn't especially difficult, but it was a little odd. Then I had the phone interview, which was very straightforward - it mostly consisted of the interviewer talking about Epic and answering any questions I had (which came with very long-winded answers), and asking me a few questions .

About a week later, I was asked to schedule a time to take the skills assessment. I was also given a link to a personality test, which consisted of a few math questions, analogies, and a large number of regular personality test questions (many of the questions were repetitive, too). The skills assessment wasn't terrible, but it was quite stressful. The programming section doesn't have any actual programming - it just gauges your ability to learn programming (sort of).

After nearly three weeks, I was sent an email telling me that they were moving on to other applicants, but that they would keep my information on file (which is what everyone says).

Interview Questions
    • For the writing assessment, there were three prompts. For one of them, you were given a paragraph of information and told to write a press release. This was unexpected mostly because there had already been a prompt to write a fake news article and, to be honest, I really wasn't 100% sure about the formatting of press releases.   Answer Question

Technical Writer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Online application didn't take very long, and the phone interview was low-stress. The interviewer was very friendly and informative; she was a technical writer and therefore able to provide specific details with regards to what the job entails. I was then required to take an online assessment, at which point your overall application is evaluated before Epic decides whether or not to extend an offer for an in-person interview at their campus.