Epic Systems Corporation

Getting the Interview

36 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Technical Writer

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in February 2014.

Interview Details – Phone interview asked basic questions about yourself and educational background as well as told you interesting information about the position, Epic's campus and Verona. I was also asked to complete three writing prompts prior to the phone interview. This was then followed by a difficult assessment exam and personality test.

Technical Writer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in March 2013.

Interview Details – They paid for my flight out, hotel, cabs, meals, etc. Were very organized and communicative leading up to and during my visit. They planned a whole day for recruits (there were a lot of us) which included interviews, presentations, tours, and Q&A sessions. They definitely treated us well and made the company look desirable. As a writer recruit, I had to take some writing tests. For the Trainer position, I had to do a presentation on how to do something. I thought both of those went very well, as well as my interviews, but didn't get the job. Got no feedback on why I wasn't hired but everyone I dealt with treated me very well. Would've worked for them, but not bitter that I wasn't hired.

Interview Question – Even for the writer position, had to take math skills test.   Answer Question

Technical Writer

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online through my campus's career website, and was contacted within the week for a phone interview and to complete a writing assessment. The phone interview basically seemed like it was just to weed out people who were really not a good fit with the company, and the writing assessment was pretty basic. I was then contacted within another week to do more online testing, which included a personality assessment and the skills assessment. I thought I would do horribly on the programming section since I don't have any experience in that field, but it ended up going well. Don't be intimidated because it's just testing your ability to think logically. Epic then flew me out for an interview.

Before going to interview, I met with one of the career advisers at my school and her piece of advice was simple: make them like you. Epic is a fairly laid back company that has a lot of pride in their "work hard, play hard" attitude. If you don't relax during your interview, they probably won't think you will fit into their company. And you may not. It's a very specific atmosphere, which isn't a great fit for everyone. Many people I met with stressed the long hours and the burnout rate.

The interview day itself consisted of two interviews and a meeting with a current technical writer (which was most likely an assessment, as well). Be prepared with lots of questions and show a high level of interest in the company. Since there is such a high burnout rate, I found that many people asked me questions that seemed to gauge how long I was interested in working at Epic.

Interview Question – What are your weaknesses? What aspects of the job would you be most uncomfortable doing?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Verona, WI

I applied online and the process took 8 months - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details – It was quite the adventure. I probably enjoyed the interview more than working there. Point 1: on the plane, I "met cute" with an incredibly hot guy. (I don't kiss and tell, but suffice it to say we're still friends.) The accommodations in the Lake Monona Hilton and the food at Graze were excellent. I kind of perversely enjoy pointless hoops to jump through, so there you go. It was really rainy the first two days I was there, then perfect the next day. (I got tricked, the weather in Madison sucks 95% of the time.)

Interview Question – There are a multitude of puzzles, brainteasers, personality tests, presentations, mock writeups.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – After all that rigmarole, they said, "you don't have a degree!" And I was, like, "nope. Definitely marked the 'some college' box." So I went back to school and reopened communication with them when I was accepted. I got the offer eight months later, the day I walked in commencement, and started immediately after graduating.

Madison, WI

Interview Details – I have just completed the interview process, so I will have to wait to find out whether I landed the position. Some background: ~3.3 GPA for undergrad and 3.9 for my Master's degree, both of which were in the biological sciences. I submitted the application in November, and received a notification from Epic's HR department in less than a week. This email requested that I schedule an online skills assessment and take a Rembrandt personality test. I took the skills assessment two days after receiving the email; the test was a proctored online exam consisting of four parts (2-minute speed solving/IQ section, verbal, math, and programming aptitude). They do not expect you to study for this; it's not a cakewalk, but if you do well on standardized tests you won't have to worry too much. The Rembrandt profile included sets of 4 personality statements interspersed with verbal/logic questions. I followed up with my HR representative shortly after completing the skills assessment, and in less than a week I was invited to do a phone interview. The interviewer asked some basic questions to verify information on my application (grades, test scores, experience) and asked some questions about projects I had worked on. I was also able to ask her some questions about the position. Again, I followed up with HR and about two weeks later I was invited for the on-site interview. Epic flew me out to Madison and covered my hotel and transportation costs. I elected to have dinner with an Epic employee, and took the opportunity to ask many questions about the company and culture. The interview day itself was fairly intense, with company overviews, a software demonstration, a position overview with a technical writer (possibly also serving as an assessment of my personality), a case study/interview, a guided tour, an HR interview, and a two-hour writing assessment. Despite the length, the interview day flew by and was actually pretty enjoyable. The campus is very laid-back and aesthetically amazing, and the employees are very helpful. I will hear from them in approximately two weeks.

Interview Questions

• List five things you are not.   Answer Question
  • Questions involving knowing how to react under different scenarios--most likely measuring your ability to adapt.   View Answer

Interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation

Interview Details – I am still in the process, but I wanted to send out a heads up to fellow applicants that may be more "creative" (aka... non Technical...writers). I struggled with the Skills Assessment. If you aren't fresh out of college or grad school, be advised to brush up on logical reasoning and basic Math skills. The verbal part will be a cakewalk if you have a stronger writing background.

Interview Question – The coding questions, though seemingly simple, were challenging. Do a crash course in elementary programming before attempting the test if you aren't familiar with it to help with the "shock" factor of needing to understand it on the fly.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation

Interview Details – Was contacted by Epic Human Resources via email, said they saw my resume posted online. They didn't specify where exactly, but I've posted my resume all over the place. The email I received was pretty comprehensive, and seemed like they were trying to entice me to apply for the position. I am waiting to hear back.

Interview Question – Will update once I get to that point   Answer Question

Interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation

Interview Details – Very intensive, jumping through hoops process for the second round. More assessments, a 15 minutes long presentation, interview with HR, interview with someone currently holding the position, 2 on 1 interview. They were very professional through the process, but there is a very specific company culture which you must fit into.

Interview Question – The computer programming test   Answer Question

Technical Writer

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details – I was initially approached by Epic via e-mail after posting my information on monster. The e-mail invited me to apply fo their Project Developer/supervisor position, but after submitting my resume and receiving an e-mail informing me that an employee was reviewing my application i was contacted by an HR employee who informed me that they were considering me for another position and asked me to resubmit my resume online. I did as she requested and was asked to take a personality test. The time they estimated for the test's completion were way off (I finished in half of the suggested time) but other than that it was pretty quick and painless.
After two weeks, I was invited to participate in a phone interview and asked to submit a writing sample. After clicking on a link, I was given one hour to write a 300-500 word New York Times review of an autobiography of my life up to this point (I was not allowed to guess about the future or fabricate real events). I then participated in a phone interview where I was interviewed by a woman who was working at the company in the same job I was interviewing for. It was a little awkward because it was obvious she was asking questions from a script and it was her first time conducting an interview but she was nice and enthusiastic about the company.
After the phone interview, I was invited to take a test (the company paid for the test and even offered to reimburse me for my travel expenses) where I was asked to take a LSAT-esque logic games question section, a section where I was asked to evaluate sample sentences for correctness, a section testing my ability to learn/understand computer programming rules, a math section and a question with word associations. I was allowed to use a calculator and scratch paper (which was provided by the testing center) but because I haven't taken a math class in 3 years I struggled with that portion of the exam.

Interview Question – How have one of your past experiences prepared you for a technical writing position at our company?   Answer Question

Madison, WI

I applied online - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in August 2012.

Interview Details – I have yet to finish the interviewing process, which consists of multiple steps - the initial application, an online writing test, a phone interview, and an on-site interview with additional tests. Initially, my experience with Epic did not impress me; I set up a time for the phone interview and waited for forty minutes by the phone, but no one called. When I wrote my recruiting contact to ask if we could set up a second time, she replied with an email saying that the first time I'd requested would not work (this was a day after the fact, when I'd already waited for the phone call to no avail). I requested a second interview time (again) and she eventually confirmed it, but with no acknowledgement of the fact that she'd missed the initial interview time. The interview itself was easy, however, and I was invited to tour Epic's campus and complete the remaining tests there. Overall, applying with Epic has been a positive experience so far.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in five years?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Epic Systems Corporation

Worked for Epic Systems Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Epic Systems Corporation Technical Writer interview questions and advice. All 36 interview reviews posted anonymously by Epic Systems Corporation employees and interview candidates.