2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

UI Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Verona, WI
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in December 2011.

I applied for the UI/UX Designer position because of my programming education and prior employment as a medical software implementation project manager for an outpatient clinic using a competing software.

I performed a personality test about how I would react to certain ideas/situations- very Myers-Briggs reminiscent. Then I was called by an HR rep who was very nice, but seemed nervous, and asked about my interest/skills. He said he would send me a design assessment, but attached the sheet with his interview notes on accident. The form was mostly empty although I answered the questions- the interests I had just spent an hour expressing, were missing... I politely pointed out his attachment error and promptly received the design assessment in response. I created a UI design mockup for a family history/personal history screen with some constraints on number of screens but unlimited time limit. I promptly returned the mockup assessment within 8 hours. Then, nothing.

I tried to follow up with him several weeks later, once via email and once via phone, but no response. I had heard Epic prides themselves on clear contact with applicants. A friend of mine was able to ask another HR worker for him to call me so I could ask about their hiring status. The other HR rep said this was uncommon. My HR rep called, tried to break the ice a bit, obviously they hired someone else but when I asked politely about why I was not moved forward he responded "I could just tell by speaking with you" - very odd, then why give me a design test? ... I have the feeling he may have lost my designs and didn't know what to tell me since he took poor notes during the interview... If I performed poorly on the test, feedback would have been constructive.

He handed me off to another HR rep so I could hear about information on other positions which I had expressed no immediate interest in. She didn't give me information, but instead began to set up onsite interviews and said I needed to prepare a short presentation for the interviews. I can understand why they would throw me straight into an interview for a different position, but I was talking to thin air. I sent her an email, after good consideration, that I was not interested- perhaps I could apply in the future for better fitting positions and that there had been some miscommunication about the interviews. She responded two weeks later, but at least she did respond. Overall: not impressed.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Epic Systems Corporation

UI Designer Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in November 2010.

I got contacted by a recruiter who saw my resume on Monster. I followed the link provided and applied to a job on their site. Got a phone interview the next day. it was very easy, very informal, just a chat about my education background and talking a bit about what I wanted to do and what the position entailed. He told me he would arrange a proctored assessment test in my city, but there was some mistake and it got arranged for another city. Still waiting to take it. I did get asked the "Where do you see yourself in 5 years question" so it was good I checked glassdoor in advance.

Interview Questions

Worked for Epic Systems Corporation? Contribute to the Community!