Epic Systems Corporation

Updated Mar 2, 2015
Updated Mar 2, 2015

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

First round - brief phone interview - basic questions to get a feel for your interest/skills. Second round - flew out to Verona, WI - ended up interviewing and interacting with at least 7-8 different employees in different roles (not just role I was applying for) which was a good way to get a feel for the company. Everyone was extremely pleasant and eager to help even though I was only one of about 15 interviewees. Day was demanding and long but seemed to fly by as you are moved quickly to different areas of the building and different interviews.

Business Intelligence Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in February 2015.

Started the day with a brief overview of Epic and a software demo. Afterwards i met with a business intelligence developer who spoke about the position, what his responsibilities are, training, database frameworks, etc. Following this i had a case study. I was given 10 minutes to look over a situation related to information reporting and then suggests ways i would improve it based on the needs of the institution that requested the report. I also interviewed for technical services which had me analyze how i would approach handling a number of issues all at once. Next was lunch followed by a tour and then a final HR interview. I wasn't expecting the HR interview as it was on the schedule as just a "wrap-up" so it threw me off guard somewhat. It started off with mostly logistical questions and then segued into interview questions.

Quality Assurance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in February 2015.

Applied online and heard back through email to fill out a Rambrandt profile, to take a 1-2 hour proctored exam, and then have a phone interview. That whole process went fairly smoothly. The exam was tough at parts. After about a week I was offered to come in for an on-site interview. This was a great experience. We took a tour, ate lunch, met employees, and talked with a recruiter. Now I am just waiting to hear back.

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in February 2015.

Tedious but ultimately positive interview experience. I can't add anything about the interviews + basic skills assessments that hasn't been said before, but if you're interested in a UX design job, there's an additional design assessment asking you to design a max of 5 mockups for a patient info entry interface. It's what you make of it, but it took a while for me to complete it.

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in February 2015.

First you submit your resume, transcript, and the likes. If you pass this round Epic will reach out to you to take a Rembrandt Profile test as well as a skills assessment over Proctor U. Neither are difficult. Then you will have a phone interview with a current Project Manager, which is super laidback. You go through your resume and talk about why you are a good fit for the position and the company. Then, if selected, you will have an on campus. Haven't had the on campus yet!

Interview Questions
    • Why are you a good fit for the Project Manager position?   Answer Question

Technical Services Problem-Solver Interview

Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in February 2015.

The process consisted of a phone interview, a skills assessment proctored online via webcam, and a day of on-site interviews. The skills assessment was not too difficult overall, if long. Also, there were only two actual on-site interviews; the rest of the time was spent being shown around Epic's campus, taken to meals, etc.

Interview Questions
    • The skills assessment asks you to write a few short programs in a language of your choice (or pseudocode).   Answer Question

Note: I received an offer, but as of this posting I have neither accepted nor declined.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in January 2015.

I applied online. Eventually I was emailed for a phone interview as well as a skills assessment. The phone interview was with a software developer. It was a pretty informal interview, and he was mainly concerned with what experience I had and what projects I had done. Then I took the skills assessment, which sucked. It took about three hours, and by the end I was like I don't even care if I get the job at this point. I had to buy a webcam and install software which allowed ProctorU to monitor me and remotely control my computer. The skills assessment was a lot of IQ test type questions, plus learning a made-up language (pretty easy), followed by 3 or 4 moderately difficult string manipulation programming questions. I wrote them in Java and I remember doing a lot of switch statements. Apparently I did okay on the skills assessment, because I received an email saying they wanted to fly me to their headquarters. I flew in the day before, and had dinner with an Epic employee. Some other interviewees came as well. She had already decided where we were going. She paid for it though, which was nice. I should mention that the meals with employees were by far the most awkward parts of the whole interview experience. I had three meals with Epic employees, and it was obvious that 2 of the 3 people I ate with were just doing it to get a free meal. They had no interest in talking with interviewees. I suggest skipping one or both of the dinners so that you can find a place that you actually want to eat, plus you won't have to make small talk with someone who doesn't want to talk to you. Epic put me up in the Hilton Monona. They give you breakfast vouchers, and will pay for room service, which I suggest you take advantage of. I did. The only things they don't cover are booze and pay-per-view. I had my day of interviews start bright and early at like 8:30 AM. It was all over by about 1 or 2 PM. I rode in a cab with about 5 other interviewees. We all went to a little room where they had some food set out for breakfast. There are food and drinks everywhere. We had to eat and make small talk with HR until a software developer came in and gave us his spiel about Epic software. They also gave us folders that described some of the past intern projects, which all sounded interesting. Then I and two other intern interviewees broke off in a group and spoke to an employee who had done the intern program. This wasn't really an interview, just a chance to ask questions. He was wearing jeans and a zip up hoodie and had earrings in.I suggest you wear something to the interview that isn't too casual, even though you could get away with it. A polo and nice jeans with running shoes would be the minimum. Almost all of the other interviewees, including myself, were wearing a button-up shirt beneath a sweater.Then I had my software developer interview followed by my HR interview. The software dev interview was pretty casual. I told him about my project, he asked a few questions about what design choices I had made, describe the project, would you change anything, etc. Definitely practice giving an overview of your project. I didn't demo the project or give an actual presentation, we just sat in an empty room and talked. There were no technical questions. He talked about his job a lot, and I asked a lot of questions. The HR interview was pretty relaxed. She asked about my experience, what is one good and bad thing each reference would say about me, what is one misconception people have about me. She was pretty nice though. Then I and the other 2 interviewees had lunch with a software developer. It was painfully obvious he didn't want to speak to us. The food wasn't as good as they made it out to be. He gave us a brief tour afterward. I noticed that almost everyone I passed was in there 20s, a sign of high turnover. Nobody I talked to seemed to think work-life balance was a concern, even though people on Glassdoor seemed to think otherwise. Then we got another tour from a different guy, but this time it was more in-depth. The campus was really massive and elaborate. Then we took a cab back to the hotel, and I just relaxed until dinner time. Overall, I was very impressed with Epic. In the morning, I took the hotel shuttle to the airport and flew home. 14 days later, I received a call from the HR lady saying they were moving forward with other candidates. Don't assume that you have the job locked in just because they fly you out there, even though it's an internship! As you can imagine, I'm pretty disappointed, considering the amount of time I put in. I must have said something during the interview that turned them off.

Interview Questions
    • What is one misconception people have about you?   Answer Question
    • What is one good and bad thing each reference would have to say about you?   Answer Question
    • If it were two hours later, it would be half as long until midnight as it would be if it were an hour later. What time is it now?   View Answers (3)

Quality Assurance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Verona, WI

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in January 2015.

I applied online and received a notification for a phone screen. Before that, they told me to take an online assessment and personality test (see below). They flew me out to Madison to interview in person, which included a case interview and an HR interview.

Interview Questions
    • The online test included a timed math section, and the rest were not timed. There were four other secitons after that: another math section (some arithmetic and some brainteasers), verbal assessment (mostly grammar and some logic), questions about some invented programming language, another programming section where they tell you to write some functions (note: I think you only receive this question if you indicated that you have previously had coding experience). There was also a five-minute personality test they give you which is separate from the other assessment. After all this, I had a short phone screen which just asked about my background, and why I'm looking for in this position.

When they flew me out to Madison, I had two interviews. The first was a case interview with a QA person who had been there for two years or so. He asked a ton of questions about the case, but the key is to explain your rationale. Then I had a behavioral interview with an HR rep who asked, "Tell me five things you are not." They will ask you about what role you play in a group, and how you handle conflict between a group leader and the group members, both as a leader and a subordinate.

No drug test and no background test (as far as I can tell).

View Answer

New Hire Interview

Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview process felt like speed dating exercise: all candidates were in a room, then scurried about to different places. The dress is casual -- lower than business casual.

Interview Questions

Epic appears to be a good company for a young person. If you are 40yo or older, DO NOT expect an offer. I am 36 with great experience; Epic salary was not what I expected.

Quality Assurance Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI

Was recruited through a university job fair and received a phone interview for the project manager position. After "passing" the phone screen I took the skills assessment and a couple personality tests and was contacted again saying that I had been invited for an on site interview for quality assurance rather than project manager. Everything was very professional and HR seemed like a well-oiled machine. I was happy with my recruiting process.