Epic Systems Corporation

Getting the Interview

231 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Verona, WI

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in March 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted an application through their website and they got back to me a week later to set up a phone interview. I spoke with a current project manager who asked typical interview questions - how'd I hear about Epic, tell about some things on your resume, where do I see myself in 5 years, etc... I then was set up with an online proctored assessment (about 1.5 hours, very much like an LSAT/GRE/SAT type) which tested logic, math and English skills.

A week later, they invited me to an all day on-campus interview. They pay for the flight, cabs, hotel, and the night before, a current employee took other candidates and I out to a very nice dinner in downtown Madison. The next morning, a cab took us out to Epic's campus. There were probably 35 other candidates there that day, and the entire day felt like a college visit again. We sat down for a software demo, met with a project manager to find out more about the job and gave a 10-minute presentation on any topic. The main interview was a case study with another candidate about dealing with different types of hospital employees, and another interview with HR at the end of the day asking typical interview questions.

Interview Question – Describe 5 things you are not   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I did not like the area and the job would not have given me any type of long-term career benefit (however, it seems that if you are interested in healthcare management or IT, then this would be a perfect entry-level opportunity for you).

Verona, WI

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and was contacted to setup a phone interview. Phone interview is a casual conversation about the position and about you. I was contacted a week later to take a few online assessments. The online exam isn't that hard, you don't need to have any programming background. I was then invited a few days later for an on-site interview. The interview took all day, starting with an overview of the software, meeting with people in the role that you're applying for, a couple case studies, a presentation, and finally a short interview with a recruiter. I was offered a position within a week.

Interview Question – There are a few logic questions on the online assessment that might trip people up but overall nothing too bad. The on-site interview is very relaxed and I don't think there are any "right" answers to the case study questions, they just want to see how well you can defend your decisions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Tried to negotiate but they are firm on their offer.

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant
Verona, WI

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in February 2014.

Interview Details – Starting in december I applied through an employee referral. A week later I received an email to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was very relaxed, and more for them to get a feel for you, not your skills. They asked about things on my resume, but more to hear how I spoke about them.

After the phone interview I was given a chance to schedule a skills assessment. The skills assessment is on math, logic, programming, and grammar. In regards to the math/logic it is nothing you can study for. The math is very simple and testing your ingenuity, not your grasp of algebra. Each question has some sort of trick to it. However, If you learn the basics of c++ or javascript it will help you breeze through the computer test. It asks about concepts like strings, arrays, variables, etc. anyone with minor programming knowledge will ace it no problem. I would highly recommend this as it is basically free points. The grammar is pretty standard too, nothing you should have to study for.

A few days after submitting my test I was scheduled for an onsite interview. They fly you out, put you in a nice hotel, take you to diner all the night before. The actual onsite interview was really relaxing to me. I was told at dinner that if you're flown out the company is 75% sure they want you. Now they just want to make sure you're a good fit for the culture. As far as what you do:

Interview with someone who is in the position you're applied for (project manager in my case) this was pretty standard interview with some fluffer HR questions.

Give a 10 minute presentation on a topic of your choosing. expect questions and be confident.

Receive a 30 minute demo of the software.

Receive an overview of the job position you're applied to.

Take a tour of campus/eat lunch.

Have a case study interview.. less business oriented, more ethics and how to handle an angry client.

Have an interview with HR and that's it.

they don't want to see you stiff and boring. For project management you are expected to be traveling with your coworkers 75% of the time.. no one wants to be stuck in ORD for 5 hours with a genius that can't hold a conversation about something other than work or studies.

Interview Question – Describe 5 things you are not?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not try to negotiate as the job was a huge step up from my current position.

Technical Services Interview

Verona, WI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in February 2014.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by a recruiter who had seen my resume online and encouraged me to apply for the position. After filling out the initial online application, I was scheduled to complete a brief phone interview. This interview was very basic and mostly used to gauge my interests and basic qualifications.
A few days after this, I was contacted to schedule a skills test. This test was a webcam proctored test and seemed to focus on creative thinking and analytical skills. Additionally, there was a portion dedicated to basic programming; however, this section tested your ability to quickly learn the programming information they provided. I think the entire assessment took me just over two hours. At the same time, I was also required to take a Rembrandt personality test.
Within the next couple days, I was invited to schedule an on-site interview. All the cost associated with traveling for this interview was covered by Epic. The interview consisted of a company overview and demo, informational meeting for my specific position, situational assessment, HR interview, campus tour, and a more focused programming assessment. This assessment did not require you to know any programming languages.

Interview Question – Be prepared to do some basic programming. Even if you do not know any languages having a basic knowledge of establishing logic in a program is very beneficial.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer was very competitive. One advantage of Epic is they have a very flexible acceptance time period if you are in the process of considering other positions.

Verona, WI

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in March 2014.

Interview Details – Currently in the hiring process- applied online and heard back a week later. Scheduled a phone interview which ended up being pretty casual-they mostly talk about the position, why you'd be a good fit, why you're interested, etc. They expect you to have questions to ask so be sure to have some ready. A day after the phone interview i was scheduled to take a personality test and a logical reasoning/critical skills test- which is challenging- i recommend brushing up on some math logic questions. Some analogies, grammar and programming involved as well.

Interview Question – List 5 things you are not.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Quality Assurance Specialist Interview

Verona, WI

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through an employee referral. I was told I would have a phone interview with someone in QA but to my surprise half way through it happened to be a HR rep. She said it would be a few weeks until I hear about the next step. The next day she calls me and sets up the onsite interview. The interview consisted of an overview presentation, a discussion and overview of QA. Lunch. A tour of Epic. Then a case study, which is quite simple. Then the final sit down with the HR person at the end. The key is to make a great impression with every person you meet, they could all have input into you getting hired or not.

Interview Question – What are the setbacks to you accepting this position?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't try to negotiate as it was quite higher than the glassdoor average.

Educational Trainer/Project Implementer Interview

Verona, WI

I applied through college or university and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in February 2014.

Interview Details – First off - getting your resume to a recruiter at a Job fair fast-tracks the process. I was contacted via email to complete my online application. After that was a brief phone interview. Then online assessment tests were administered that were fairly difficult. In my case, I first applied for a quality assurance position in November and was told I wouldn't go any further in the process. But when I submitted another online application in February, I was told to further complete it, then invited in for an in-person, on-site interview for both positions (educational trainer and project implementer). It was from 9:30-3:30, but despite the length, there were relaxing components like lunch and a tour to take the edge off the day.

I'm assuming they have more availability in the spring than fall/winter so I would advise applying then.

Interview Question – The questions were rather easy in my case, but I've heard a difficult one is "Tell me 5 things you are not."   View Answer

Project Manager/Implementation Consultant
Verona, WI

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in January 2012.

Interview Details – SUMMARY: My impression of Epic was that they were a college recruitment machine, hiring young and inexperienced employees, working them to death and then replacing the burnouts with more fresh, naive faces.

I was offered an interview at Epic after having a conversation with a company recruiter at a college career fair––what position I would be interviewing for was not yet clear. I was flown out to Madison WI, put up in a nice hotel room and then joined a dozen other college students the next morning to be driven out to the corporate campus by a company shuttle.

I felt like I was touring and interviewing at a college all over again. Applicants were put in groups (they see at least 200 applicants each day), then given a structured itinerary. We were lead around Epic's mammoth corporate campus, ate in their cafeteria, sat for interviews, gave presentations to a panel, took exams in rudimentary math and programming (even for non-programmers). We would be dropped off at their huge recruiting office between each itinerary item, then picked up for the next by some other chaperone.

My recruiter was cold and uninterested. My interview with her was dull and the conversation lifeless despite my best attempts.

I left with a an uneasy impression. Epic claims that they don't do any marketing, that "advertising sucks." Maybe they don't market to customers, but they sure as hell are marketing to college recruits. Just look at their company website and then compare it with their careers site. I felt uncomfortable with a company that seemed to put more effort into hiring employees than building their product. In fact, not once during my visit to Epic was I even shown their product. Never. I honestly didn't even mind when I got a call a few weeks later that I had been turned down for the job.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult or unexpected. Just plain old boring questions.   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Interview

Quality Assurance
Verona, WI

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation.

Interview Details – Fairly easy and laid-back interview. Online assessment/behavioral quiz, phone interview, on-campus interview (lasts all day) with multiple interviews and a tour of the facilities. They give everyone a weird programming test, so be expecting that even if you are not going for a programming role. All-in-all it was a long but fun day.

Interview Question – 5 things you are not   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Software Development Intern Interview

Verona, WI

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Epic Systems Corporation in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied at the Career Fair in my college and was shortlisted for interviewing. Initially, I had a HR round where behaviorial questions and one design question was asked. After that, I was asked to take an online test. I qualified in that following which I was called in for onsite interviews.

Interview Question – I didn't find anything difficult in their screening process. Key to succeeding is being strong with basic computer science and math.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Epic Systems Corporation

Worked for Epic Systems Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Epic Systems Corporation interview questions and advice in Verona, WI. All 231 interview reviews posted anonymously by Epic Systems Corporation employees and interview candidates.