Epicor Software

Very Difficult Interview

Systems Administrator Interview

Systems Administrator
Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Epicor Software in October 2012.

Interview Details – Responded to a website posting. The recruiting effort was a little disjointed - two different folks who weren't totally in sych.

Two weeks later I was scheduled for a 20min phonescreen: standard technical phonescreen. Four days later I had an onsite multi-phase interview with manager, group then assistant manager.

Unlike the phonescreen, the interview was the hardest interview of my life: on-the-fly scripting, detailed questions on the OS, SAN, filesystems, security etc. I left drained, convinced that not only had I failed, but that I pitied the fool who would ever work there.

However I was called back both by the recruiter and the senior manager and agreed to meet for coffee to discuss the job further. They put my fears to rest (see below) and I've really enjoyed it.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I met with two managers for coffee to cover a list of about 15 questions about the environment. My initial impressions were very wrong and my concerns quickly put to rest (I was concerned that despite a difficult commute the hours were strict, dress code quite formal, technical expectations too high).
I requested a copy of the benefits and compared to my current package - found them to be comparable.
I counter-offered with a few percent bump plus a few days off for a planned family trip, this took a week to get approved. I've been there three months, very happy.

Worked for Epicor Software? Contribute to the Community!