Epocrates

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
San Mateo, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Epocrates.

Interview Details – It started off with a coding homework that will be emailed by their HR Coordinator - no time limit. Next was a phone interview with HR. Then a face-to-face series of interviews (one BUY, one SELL, two live coding tests) that lasted half a day at their San Mateo office.

Interview Question – Folding numbers coding test - given a set of numbers, how will they be arranged on a stack if the set of numbers is folded in half to the left or the right.

Example: 1 2 3 4
Folded from the left, the arrangement will now be
2 1 (top)
3 4 (bottom)

Folded from the right, the arrangement would have been
4 3 (top)

View Answer

Medical Informatics Interview

Medical Informatics
San Mateo, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Epocrates.

Interview Details – The entire process took several months. The company seems very disorganized, as a lot of things had to be re-scheduled. I wish the company would just tell me yes/no right away, but instead, I felt like I was being strung along as they were reviewing more candidates. I had to interview with many people who had no idea what my position even does, so they tend to ask me questions that seemed to be from left-field, or worse, questions from their own departments that were irrelevant. The panel of interviewers were all pretty negative about the outlook of the company, so I guess I am glad I eventually gave up on the position.

Interview Question – Questions weren't hard.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Software Engineer Intern
San Mateo, CA

I interviewed at Epocrates in March 2014.

Interview Details – A coding challenge was emailed and if successfully completed at a quality up to their standard, an on-site interview was given. The original coding challenge was supposed to be a 30 minute school campus technical interview but due to limited staffing coding challenges were sent to freshmen and sophomores instead.

Interview Question – Given a word (does not have to be an actual word, just a string of capital letters), return the alphabetical rank of that word out of all possible combinations of the given set of letters.   View Answers (2)

Very Difficult Interview

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
San Mateo, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Epocrates in August 2013.

Interview Details – Initially contacted by HR rep to verify resume details over the phone.
Follow up Skype interview with Engineering Manager.
Scheduled onsite interview in San Mateo. Had to purchase tickets but would be reimbursed. Company booked a hotel nearby. Interview was 4x 1.5hr (6 hr total) interviews, 2 coding and 2 traditional.

Interview Question – Paper folding coding test in any language, fold a paper with N sections either right or left
Juggling balls coding test in any language, given pattern (5,3,1) determine if juggle able.
  View Answer

Sales Interview

Sales
San Mateo, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Epocrates in March 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview highlighting experience an contacts, second interview face to face. Fast process was good.

Interview Question – Can you meet this number (you must undersand Epocrates before you answer)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Casual and not much back and forth.

RVP of Sales Interview

RVP of Sales

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Epocrates.

Interview Details – Was contacted directly by the hiring manager to consider a position on the team. He was professional and thorough, talking about both the strengths and weakness he saw in me and what he saw in the company. Interviewed with the rest of the team who all were solid, felt like a good fit professionally and personally.

Was put in front of the head of sales - a NYC guy - who proceeded to simply bash where I was from (geographically) for a good half hour instead conducting an interview. Every response to every question was rudely interrupted and corrected sarcastically. It was a rockin' good time (sarcasm intended). Obviously that was the end of the road.

Interview Question – Tell me how you would handle selling an enterprise technical media product with a long sales cycle and many stakeholders on the company and client side   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Regional Vice President Interview

Regional Vice President
San Mateo, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Epocrates.

Interview Details – The interview process is really easy. As long as you sell yourself and dont get flustered by the barrage of irrelevant questions you will be fine. The interviewer is easy to control its working with him is the difficult thing

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – A few days but that person is gone so there is room.

Very Easy Interview

Physician Editor Interview

Physician Editor
San Mateo, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Epocrates.

Interview Details – Meet first with VP of Medical Information, Director of Medication Information (VP's right-hand woman), and head of PharmDs via multiple on-site and phone-call interviews.

Interview Question – There weren't any difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much negotiations. The team is pretty tight in terms of salary. Took a huge pay cut to leave clinical practice.

Accounting Manager Interview

Accounting Manager
Ewing, NJ

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Epocrates in December 2012.

Interview Details – No recruiters. Phone screen from HR to determine proper fit. Follow up interview with director of finance in person. Very nice guy and direct with answers, ie not misleading. Second unannounced sit down during same visit with director of financial reporting. She was nice but seemed a little too overbearing for areas that were not under her control. Could lead to blurred job responsibilities in the long run.

Interview Question – What do you want to get out of this job over the next 3 years?   Answer Question

Online Markeing Designer Interview

Online Markeing Designer
San Mateo, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Epocrates in April 2009.

Interview Details – Interviewed with 2 groups , one with my own team , the other was a team that I would interact with on a weekly basis

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – took 2 counter offers

Worked for Epocrates? Contribute to the Community!