Equilar

Updated Feb 19, 2015

Research Analyst- Leadership Rotation Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in UC Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Employee in UC Berkeley, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Equilar in February 2015.

Interviewer was friendly and easy to talk to. Questions weren't too difficult, except my interview ended 5 minutes early so I wish I had more questions prepared. Also, I was told to bring a cover letter and brought it, but forgot to give it to the interviewer. So don't forget to do that! Got a 2nd round interview.

Interview Questions
    • How did you hear about Equilar?   Answer Question
    • Why Equilar? Can you summarize what our company does?   Answer Question
    • What would you think about the President of the UC system getting paid ~$570,000 per year?   Answer Question
    • What career path do you see for your future at Equilar in the next few years?   Answer Question
    • What do you know about the Leadership Rotation Program?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Equilar in January 2015.

Submitted through university career listing website and also directly through the company website. Was emailed back for a phone interview and was contacted by an Analyst within a week. They called me and asked me a few basic questions that I've included below.

Research Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Equilar in December 2014.

Submitted a cover letter and resume online. Then received instructions to do a pre recorded video interview that had several questions that could have easily been done in a document. Had to repeat a lot of information I had previous submitted in the form of a cover letter. Had an in person interview that ended up being 2 and a half hours. 2 separate interviews with 2 different pairs of people and an evaluation.

Unsure about the company

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Equilar.

Had four parts to my interview, each longer and more tedious than the first. Had to submit a resume and cover letter online through a portal. Had to do a phone interview and online personality test. The personality test basically came down to chose words to describe yourself and words others would use to describe you.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think about laws regarding capping executive compensation to the median worker?   Answer Question

The interviewers seemed eager to explain how the company was not as horrible as explained on glass door. Were honest about the high turnover but could not give a reason for it. Was a huge red flag. Also uncomfortable with the questions asked. Too political in nature. Felt like they were asking who I voted for in the last election.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Through college recruitment. The interviewer was bland and judgmental. Many awkward questions were proposed and the interviewer was disengaged right from the beginning. The career fair before the interview was a good experience. Many current employees were delighted to answer any questions about the company.

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Equilar in October 2014.

I applied for the Research Analyst Internship through their website. The first step was a digital interview, which asked basic get-to-know you questions (i.e. GPA? Why did you choose your major? Strengths? Why Equilar?). There was also a very brief Personality Inventory that you took online.

Three weeks later, I did a second round (and final) interview via Skype. Normally, it's an in-person interview at their office, but I was applying from the East Coast. The first part was a basic interview with two lower-level employees. From what I gathered, they were not HR personnel, but rather research analysts, similar to the internship role. They were friendly and asked basic get-to-know you questions. Since I was from the East Coast, they asked about my school (what it was like, why I chose it, etc.)

After, speaking with them for about 45 minutes, I had to do three online assessments. Again, normally you would do this at the office. The first was a basic spreadsheet where you had to write down anything that looked like it needed to be adjusted. Anything from spelling to numeric values was fair game. The second assessment involved calculating executive pay based on a paragraph of information. The second part of that were basic math problems (i.e. if this person who is a committee chair of X, Y, Z went to half of the meetings, how much did he get?). The last assessment was about deferred compensation. You had to proofread a paragraph, and then use that information to fill in chart (What would his compensation be if he deferred $XX for 3, 4, or 5 years?) Then, you had to write a short paragraph on the pros and cons of deferred compensation.

Last, I had a second interview with two higher level employees. One was actually in HR. They asked some behavioral questions, and more industry-related questions (i.e. Who do you think are Equilar's clients? How did you prepare for this interview? What's your opinion on equity vs. cash pay out? What's the greatest challenge for committees creating regulation for executive compensation?) For some, this might be the hardest part. Not a lot of people know about executive compensation, SO DO YOUR HOMEWORK! Behavioral questions were basic get-to-know you (i.e. What do you do in your free time?)

In total, the Skype interview took just over two hours. A little over a week later, they got back to me on a decision. The whoe process took about a month. I was offered the internship, but I couldn't afford to move across the country for $15 an hour with no guarantee of a full time job (especially to an area as expensive as CA). It would've been a great experience though!

Interview Questions
    • What role do you see yourself in 7 years? (this was the hardest for me, because they wanted me to be super specific. I said that I saw myself in a managerial role, helping others to be more successful. I also said that I'd want to have pursued graduate education as well. It didn't seem like they were satisfied with that answer, wanting me to choose a specific industry, etc. I tried to clarify the questions, but was told "just take it as you think.")   Answer Question

It wasn't worth moving across the country just for an internship. Had I been local, I would've accepted.

Senior Software Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Equilar in October 2014.

Applied online and they got back to me on the same day.
    I was scheduled for phone interview with a developer and it went for about 2 hours.

Hes sent me an application and asked me to understand the application to him and test the application with given scenarios.

I was called for an onsite interview with 3 people. And it was fairly easier than the phone interview.
    The only I didn't like was, after the onsite interview they called me again to meet CEO and couple of other developers. It was more of a formality round, but they could have done that on the same day of onsite round.

Interview Questions
    • He asked me to test a code which was supposed to throw an exception in one scenario. Test method should be expecting exception as the output from the method.   View Answer
    • What is a good automation framework?   View Answer

I had other better offers to choose.

Research Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Equilar in September 2014.

Irrationally, I was skeptical of the interview process once I was told that it would be pre-recorded. I honestly expected a phone interview, or a face-to-face interview, like most Bay Area companies do. Interviewing in this way does not add value to or facilitate the talent acquisition process.

The questions were relatively simple:
    Why Equilar?
    Why is what Equilar does important?
    Why are you interested?
    Can you summarize what it is that Equilar does?
    What is one of your best characteristics?
    Name another one and give an example of a situation when you've demonstrated it.
    What other types of jobs are you pursuing? (Very intrusive! Is this even appropriate/allowed?)

There are a few more that I can't really think of, unfortunately. Just know that the first round is only a fit-styled interview. I hope this adds equity to someone else's pursuit.

Interview Questions
    • "What other types of jobs are you pursuing?" I wasn't sure if this was going to make or break me.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Equilar.

The process is not too hard if you know anything about finance/data since most people start without knowing much. After reading company reviews and going through the interview process, I now know why all the reviews are negative. The work you do seem very menial and you don't seem to learn much. Most of all, I was very disappointed with the CEO. He just randomly walks in and interviewed me. He was not only rude but made me feel uneasy and leave the place.

Interview Questions
    • The final round is a presentation and the CEO randomly just walks into the interview.   Answer Question

CEO was way too rude. Immediately made me not want to work at Equilar

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Equilar in August 2014.

HR followed by hiring manager called for a phone interview in May 2014. Did not get any feedback until Aug 2014. Within a short notice called in for an in person interview with 4 people.