Equilar Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2015
Updated Apr 13, 2015

Senior Software Quality Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Equilar (Redwood City, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Applied online and they got back to me on the same day.
    I was scheduled for phone interview with a developer and it went for about 2 hours.

Hes sent me an application and asked me to understand the application to him and test the application with given scenarios.

I was called for an onsite interview with 3 people. And it was fairly easier than the phone interview.
    The only I didn't like was, after the onsite interview they called me again to meet CEO and couple of other developers. It was more of a formality round, but they could have done that on the same day of onsite round.

Interview Questions

• He asked me to test a code which was supposed to throw an exception in one scenario. Test method should be expecting exception as the output from the method.   1 Answer
    • What is a good automation framework?   1 Answer

I had other better offers to choose.

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Equilar in September 2014.

Interview

Irrationally, I was skeptical of the interview process once I was told that it would be pre-recorded. I honestly expected a phone interview, or a face-to-face interview, like most Bay Area companies do. Interviewing in this way does not add value to or facilitate the talent acquisition process.

The questions were relatively simple:
    Why Equilar?
    Why is what Equilar does important?
    Why are you interested?
    Can you summarize what it is that Equilar does?
    What is one of your best characteristics?
    Name another one and give an example of a situation when you've demonstrated it.
    What other types of jobs are you pursuing? (Very intrusive! Is this even appropriate/allowed?)

There are a few more that I can't really think of, unfortunately. Just know that the first round is only a fit-styled interview. I hope this adds equity to someone else's pursuit.

Interview Questions

• "What other types of jobs are you pursuing?" I wasn't sure if this was going to make or break me.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Equilar.

Interview

The process is not too hard if you know anything about finance/data since most people start without knowing much. After reading company reviews and going through the interview process, I now know why all the reviews are negative. The work you do seem very menial and you don't seem to learn much. Most of all, I was very disappointed with the CEO. He just randomly walks in and interviewed me. He was not only rude but made me feel uneasy and leave the place.

Interview Questions

• The final round is a presentation and the CEO randomly just walks into the interview.   Answer Question

CEO was way too rude. Immediately made me not want to work at Equilar

QA Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Equilar (Redwood City, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

HR followed by hiring manager called for a phone interview in May 2014. Did not get any feedback until Aug 2014. Within a short notice called in for an in person interview with 4 people.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Equilar (Redwood City, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

It was an online virtual interview. Typical questions, very straight-forward and should be relatively easy if you prepare for them before hand. They just asked about your eligibility and why you want to work there.

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Equilar.

Interview

The process was so long and grueling, spanning over a month and 3 on-site interviews. Interview questions and steps were not difficult, just unnecessary to put candidate through so much. The final step is a 30 minute powerpoint presentation, which is ridiculous. I felt pretty bad for the hiring managers too since they looked bored out of their minds - it must've been the 200th presentation they heard on the same topic.

I give this an overall negative review because with the exception of 1 person out of the 6 I met with, everyone was unfriendly and unhappy, including the CEO. I knew I wasn't going to get hired because he told me he didn't like my grades, never mind my extensive work/internship experience. He examines your entire transcript, but glazes over your resume. The pay was also horrible - 40k for an analyst?? During the final round, I was also interviewing with another company for an analyst position. After 1 phone interview and 1 on-site interview, I was hired 3 days later for 68k. I wish I had applied elsewhere first and not gone through this process. Save yourself the time and trouble and apply elsewhere, where they actually value your time, effort, and skills. You're worth way more than what Equilar has to offer.

Interview Questions

• The 30 minute powerpoint presentation - college students have midterms/finals to study for...   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Equilar.

Interview

After giving Equilar my resume at my school's career fair, I was sent an email telling me to apply through their website. I was contacted again to schedule a 20 minute phone interview. After the phone interview, I was sent an online personality survey that took about 15 minutes then I was invited for an in-person interview. First, I was interviewed by two people who asked basic questions about my resume and transcript. Then, I was given an assessment that focused on finding spelling, grammar, and formatting errors. It also had some fairly basic calculations. Finally, I was interviewed by two more people. After the second interview, it took two weeks for a response.

Leadership Development Program Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Equilar.

Interview

I made it to the second round of interviews for the Leadership Development Program. The first round consisted of a short phone interview, which lasted about 15 minutes. They asked general questions about your background and your knowledge of executive compensation (which I had very little).

For the second interview, I was given a choice of either coming in to the office or doing my interview over Skype. Because I was in LA, I chose to have a Skype interview. The interview lasted about 2 hours total. I met with two different groups of people, and each group asked about my background and interest in Equilar. They also asked more specifically about my interest in the LDP and gave me an opportunity to ask them about the company. I was required to fill out an assessment (which consisted of three exam-like parts) between my meetings with each group, which I completed through a google doc.

I was not invited for the next round of interviews.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my extracurricular activities in high school, which I had not thought about for years.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Equilar.

Interview

I applied online through my university's job board and was contacted about a week later to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty standard (weaknesses, why do you want to work here, why is what Equilar does important). After they decided to move-forward and schedule an in-person interview they sent me a personality survey to complete prior to the actual interview.

The in-person interview I met with a couple senior analysts, HR, and the director of research where they asked me about my previous experiences and how I thought I would fit into the role. Between the two pairs of interviewers they gave me a challenge to complete, this was not difficult. It was basically looking through a couple documents to find typos and determine a few different salaries for board members as well as executives. The next pair of interviewers asked me more about my experiences, best accomplishment and then grilled me on why executive compensation is important. Overall, it took about 2.5 hours to be there and none of the questions were overly difficult.

Interview Questions

• Why is executive compensation important?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Equilar (Redwood City, CA).

Interview

included an on campus interview (applied via career fair), in office interview, third interview which candidate prepares a presentation on a preselected topic. Pretty typical questions, just make sure to do your research