Equilar

Equilar Interview Questions

Updated Dec 7, 2014
Updated Dec 7, 2014

Leadership Development Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Equilar.

I made it to the second round of interviews for the Leadership Development Program. The first round consisted of a short phone interview, which lasted about 15 minutes. They asked general questions about your background and your knowledge of executive compensation (which I had very little).

For the second interview, I was given a choice of either coming in to the office or doing my interview over Skype. Because I was in LA, I chose to have a Skype interview. The interview lasted about 2 hours total. I met with two different groups of people, and each group asked about my background and interest in Equilar. They also asked more specifically about my interest in the LDP and gave me an opportunity to ask them about the company. I was required to fill out an assessment (which consisted of three exam-like parts) between my meetings with each group, which I completed through a google doc.

I was not invited for the next round of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • They asked about my extracurricular activities in high school, which I had not thought about for years.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Equilar.

I applied online through my university's job board and was contacted about a week later to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty standard (weaknesses, why do you want to work here, why is what Equilar does important). After they decided to move-forward and schedule an in-person interview they sent me a personality survey to complete prior to the actual interview.

The in-person interview I met with a couple senior analysts, HR, and the director of research where they asked me about my previous experiences and how I thought I would fit into the role. Between the two pairs of interviewers they gave me a challenge to complete, this was not difficult. It was basically looking through a couple documents to find typos and determine a few different salaries for board members as well as executives. The next pair of interviewers asked me more about my experiences, best accomplishment and then grilled me on why executive compensation is important. Overall, it took about 2.5 hours to be there and none of the questions were overly difficult.

Interview Questions
    • Why is executive compensation important?   View Answer
    No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Equilar.

included an on campus interview (applied via career fair), in office interview, third interview which candidate prepares a presentation on a preselected topic. Pretty typical questions, just make sure to do your research

Research Team/Leadership Development Program Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Equilar.

I got up to the 2nd interview with Equilar. The first was a phone interview with one person who asked general questions about my education and my interest in working at Equilar. The second interview was an invitation to interview at the office in Redwood City. I could not make it there so I set up the alternative Skype interview. They speak with you via phone and use the Skype video to see you. This interview had 3 pairs of people who met with you.

The first pair asked general education questions and some random ones like "who was your favorite professor?" Though they are probably looking at your transcript while they ask you about favorite professors and classes. They then gave me a 3 part assessment via Google Drive and left me to attempt completion in 30 minutes and email them my results. Then the next 2 pairs came in one after the other. They asked more work-related questions and ones specific to Equilar.

Overall it was longer than expected and I was very frustrated at the end.

Leadership Development Internship Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Equilar in March 2014.

Initial phone interview lasted exactly 20 minutes. It was mainly behavioral questions and what you know about the company. The on-site interview lasted 2 hours. I talked with four employees, two at a time. I was given an exam (3 pages long) in between the two interviews. I didn't make it to the final round, which would have been to present on a topic of their choice.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite product? What do you think are the pros and cons of that product? How could you improve on that product?   Answer Question

Research Analyst/Leadership Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Equilar in March 2014.

The first round is a 20 minutes phone interview - just some general behavioral questions.
    After the phone interview, they held a two hours on-boarding interview. Before going to the on-boarding, they sent me some materials about executive compensation to read. And during the on-boarding, they let me take a few assessments and it took 45 minutes. The assessments were some reading comprehensions including grammar corrections, calculations and spreadsheet corrections. The assessments were not too difficult, but you really need to pay attention to details. Besides the assessments, four recruiters interviewed me in two groups. The first group is HR oriented. They asked some detailed questions about my resume and school coursework. The second group is oriented in executive compensation. It was more like a conversation and discussion.
    if you passed the second round there will be a final round on-board with the CEO.

Interview Questions
    • Think about two companies, and how their executives are getting paid. Why?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Equilar.

Initial Phone Screen and personality test. Questions were basic and the interview lasted about 20 minutes. Focused on background and education, as well your knowledge of the company.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Equilar in February 2014.

I applied to Equilar through school. The response from them was timely. After 1 week from submission, I was contacted for interview. After 2 weeks, I had interview and after 3 weeks, I had response.

Interview Questions
    • The phone interview was very general. What is your GPA? What are three of your strengths? Why are you applying for this position? What other positions are you currently applying?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I saw the position on my campus career site and applied through Equilar's job portal.

The response for a phone interview was very quick, approximately 2 days. The phone interview was around 20 minutes. No unusual questions. Just make sure you did some research about the company and on executive compensation topics.

Interview Questions
    • Why do companies pay Equilar to do executive compensation research for them?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Equilar in January 2014.

Applied through university. Hiring process consisted of a phone interview and two in office interviews. Nothing out of the ordinary for the phone interview, basically behavioral questions, why Equilar, what are you strengths. There was an assessment test during the first in office interview. 3 pages front and back, ranged from math to grammar. The interviews were not as bad as the other reviews had made it out to be. Equilar is certainly filled with bright people, and they are looking to hire the same type of employee. The vibe was very much silicon valley technology company, fast paced but laid back.

Interview Questions
    • Why would a company not be inclined to pay an executive officer equity as opposed to cash   View Answer