Equilar Interview Questions

Updated Mar 9, 2015
Updated Mar 9, 2015

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Equilar in August 2014.

It was an online virtual interview. Typical questions, very straight-forward and should be relatively easy if you prepare for them before hand. They just asked about your eligibility and why you want to work there.

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Equilar.

The process was so long and grueling, spanning over a month and 3 on-site interviews. Interview questions and steps were not difficult, just unnecessary to put candidate through so much. The final step is a 30 minute powerpoint presentation, which is ridiculous. I felt pretty bad for the hiring managers too since they looked bored out of their minds - it must've been the 200th presentation they heard on the same topic.

I give this an overall negative review because with the exception of 1 person out of the 6 I met with, everyone was unfriendly and unhappy, including the CEO. I knew I wasn't going to get hired because he told me he didn't like my grades, never mind my extensive work/internship experience. He examines your entire transcript, but glazes over your resume. The pay was also horrible - 40k for an analyst?? During the final round, I was also interviewing with another company for an analyst position. After 1 phone interview and 1 on-site interview, I was hired 3 days later for 68k. I wish I had applied elsewhere first and not gone through this process. Save yourself the time and trouble and apply elsewhere, where they actually value your time, effort, and skills. You're worth way more than what Equilar has to offer.

Interview Questions
    • The 30 minute powerpoint presentation - college students have midterms/finals to study for...   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Equilar.

After giving Equilar my resume at my school's career fair, I was sent an email telling me to apply through their website. I was contacted again to schedule a 20 minute phone interview. After the phone interview, I was sent an online personality survey that took about 15 minutes then I was invited for an in-person interview. First, I was interviewed by two people who asked basic questions about my resume and transcript. Then, I was given an assessment that focused on finding spelling, grammar, and formatting errors. It also had some fairly basic calculations. Finally, I was interviewed by two more people. After the second interview, it took two weeks for a response.

Leadership Development Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Equilar.

I made it to the second round of interviews for the Leadership Development Program. The first round consisted of a short phone interview, which lasted about 15 minutes. They asked general questions about your background and your knowledge of executive compensation (which I had very little).

For the second interview, I was given a choice of either coming in to the office or doing my interview over Skype. Because I was in LA, I chose to have a Skype interview. The interview lasted about 2 hours total. I met with two different groups of people, and each group asked about my background and interest in Equilar. They also asked more specifically about my interest in the LDP and gave me an opportunity to ask them about the company. I was required to fill out an assessment (which consisted of three exam-like parts) between my meetings with each group, which I completed through a google doc.

I was not invited for the next round of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • They asked about my extracurricular activities in high school, which I had not thought about for years.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Equilar.

I applied online through my university's job board and was contacted about a week later to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty standard (weaknesses, why do you want to work here, why is what Equilar does important). After they decided to move-forward and schedule an in-person interview they sent me a personality survey to complete prior to the actual interview.

The in-person interview I met with a couple senior analysts, HR, and the director of research where they asked me about my previous experiences and how I thought I would fit into the role. Between the two pairs of interviewers they gave me a challenge to complete, this was not difficult. It was basically looking through a couple documents to find typos and determine a few different salaries for board members as well as executives. The next pair of interviewers asked me more about my experiences, best accomplishment and then grilled me on why executive compensation is important. Overall, it took about 2.5 hours to be there and none of the questions were overly difficult.

Interview Questions
    • Why is executive compensation important?   View Answer
    No negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Equilar.

included an on campus interview (applied via career fair), in office interview, third interview which candidate prepares a presentation on a preselected topic. Pretty typical questions, just make sure to do your research

Research Team/Leadership Development Program Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Equilar.

I got up to the 2nd interview with Equilar. The first was a phone interview with one person who asked general questions about my education and my interest in working at Equilar. The second interview was an invitation to interview at the office in Redwood City. I could not make it there so I set up the alternative Skype interview. They speak with you via phone and use the Skype video to see you. This interview had 3 pairs of people who met with you.

The first pair asked general education questions and some random ones like "who was your favorite professor?" Though they are probably looking at your transcript while they ask you about favorite professors and classes. They then gave me a 3 part assessment via Google Drive and left me to attempt completion in 30 minutes and email them my results. Then the next 2 pairs came in one after the other. They asked more work-related questions and ones specific to Equilar.

Overall it was longer than expected and I was very frustrated at the end.

Leadership Development Internship Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Equilar in March 2014.

Initial phone interview lasted exactly 20 minutes. It was mainly behavioral questions and what you know about the company. The on-site interview lasted 2 hours. I talked with four employees, two at a time. I was given an exam (3 pages long) in between the two interviews. I didn't make it to the final round, which would have been to present on a topic of their choice.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite product? What do you think are the pros and cons of that product? How could you improve on that product?   Answer Question

Research Analyst/Leadership Development Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Equilar in March 2014.

The first round is a 20 minutes phone interview - just some general behavioral questions.
    After the phone interview, they held a two hours on-boarding interview. Before going to the on-boarding, they sent me some materials about executive compensation to read. And during the on-boarding, they let me take a few assessments and it took 45 minutes. The assessments were some reading comprehensions including grammar corrections, calculations and spreadsheet corrections. The assessments were not too difficult, but you really need to pay attention to details. Besides the assessments, four recruiters interviewed me in two groups. The first group is HR oriented. They asked some detailed questions about my resume and school coursework. The second group is oriented in executive compensation. It was more like a conversation and discussion.
    if you passed the second round there will be a final round on-board with the CEO.

Interview Questions
    • Think about two companies, and how their executives are getting paid. Why?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Equilar in March 2014.

The HR group is very nice and pleasant. There was not an uncomfortable moment. They came prepared with questions. The questions often dealt with character than skill. Also during the interview, you could learn more about the company. There is time afterwards to ask questions. Overall it was a very average experience.