Equilar

Updated Dec 7, 2014
Updated Dec 7, 2014

43 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Equilar.

Had four parts to my interview, each longer and more tedious than the first. Had to submit a resume and cover letter online through a portal. Had to do a phone interview and online personality test. The personality test basically came down to chose words to describe yourself and words others would use to describe you.

Interview Questions
  • What do you think about laws regarding capping executive compensation to the median worker?   Answer Question

The interviewers seemed eager to explain how the company was not as horrible as explained on glass door. Were honest about the high turnover but could not give a reason for it. Was a huge red flag. Also uncomfortable with the questions asked. Too political in nature. Felt like they were asking who I voted for in the last election.

Other Interview Reviews for Equilar

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Equilar in October 2014.

I applied for the Research Analyst Internship through their website. The first step was a digital interview, which asked basic get-to-know you questions (i.e. GPA? Why did you choose your major? Strengths? Why Equilar?). There was also a very brief Personality Inventory that you took online.

Three weeks later, I did a second round (and final) interview via Skype. Normally, it's an in-person interview at their office, but I was applying from the East Coast. The first part was a basic interview with two lower-level employees. From what I gathered, they were not HR personnel, but rather research analysts, similar to the internship role. They were friendly and asked basic get-to-know you questions. Since I was from the East Coast, they asked about my school (what it was like, why I chose it, etc.)

After, speaking with them for about 45 minutes, I had to do three online assessments. Again, normally you would do this at the office. The first was a basic spreadsheet where you had to write down anything that looked like it needed to be adjusted. Anything from spelling to numeric values was fair game. The second assessment involved calculating executive pay based on a paragraph of information. The second part of that were basic math problems (i.e. if this person who is a committee chair of X, Y, Z went to half of the meetings, how much did he get?). The last assessment was about deferred compensation. You had to proofread a paragraph, and then use that information to fill in chart (What would his compensation be if he deferred $XX for 3, 4, or 5 years?) Then, you had to write a short paragraph on the pros and cons of deferred compensation.

Last, I had a second interview with two higher level employees. One was actually in HR. They asked some behavioral questions, and more industry-related questions (i.e. Who do you think are Equilar's clients? How did you prepare for this interview? What's your opinion on equity vs. cash pay out? What's the greatest challenge for committees creating regulation for executive compensation?) For some, this might be the hardest part. Not a lot of people know about executive compensation, SO DO YOUR HOMEWORK! Behavioral questions were basic get-to-know you (i.e. What do you do in your free time?)

In total, the Skype interview took just over two hours. A little over a week later, they got back to me on a decision. The whoe process took about a month. I was offered the internship, but I couldn't afford to move across the country for $15 an hour with no guarantee of a full time job (especially to an area as expensive as CA). It would've been a great experience though!

Interview Questions
    • What role do you see yourself in 7 years? (this was the hardest for me, because they wanted me to be super specific. I said that I saw myself in a managerial role, helping others to be more successful. I also said that I'd want to have pursued graduate education as well. It didn't seem like they were satisfied with that answer, wanting me to choose a specific industry, etc. I tried to clarify the questions, but was told "just take it as you think.")   Answer Question

It wasn't worth moving across the country just for an internship. Had I been local, I would've accepted.

Research Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Equilar in September 2014.

Irrationally, I was skeptical of the interview process once I was told that it would be pre-recorded. I honestly expected a phone interview, or a face-to-face interview, like most Bay Area companies do. Interviewing in this way does not add value to or facilitate the talent acquisition process.

The questions were relatively simple:
    Why Equilar?
    Why is what Equilar does important?
    Why are you interested?
    Can you summarize what it is that Equilar does?
    What is one of your best characteristics?
    Name another one and give an example of a situation when you've demonstrated it.
    What other types of jobs are you pursuing? (Very intrusive! Is this even appropriate/allowed?)

There are a few more that I can't really think of, unfortunately. Just know that the first round is only a fit-styled interview. I hope this adds equity to someone else's pursuit.

Interview Questions
    • "What other types of jobs are you pursuing?" I wasn't sure if this was going to make or break me.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Equilar.

The process is not too hard if you know anything about finance/data since most people start without knowing much. After reading company reviews and going through the interview process, I now know why all the reviews are negative. The work you do seem very menial and you don't seem to learn much. Most of all, I was very disappointed with the CEO. He just randomly walks in and interviewed me. He was not only rude but made me feel uneasy and leave the place.

Interview Questions
    • The final round is a presentation and the CEO randomly just walks into the interview.   Answer Question

CEO was way too rude. Immediately made me not want to work at Equilar

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Equilar.

The process was so long and grueling, spanning over a month and 3 on-site interviews. Interview questions and steps were not difficult, just unnecessary to put candidate through so much. The final step is a 30 minute powerpoint presentation, which is ridiculous. I felt pretty bad for the hiring managers too since they looked bored out of their minds - it must've been the 200th presentation they heard on the same topic.

I give this an overall negative review because with the exception of 1 person out of the 6 I met with, everyone was unfriendly and unhappy, including the CEO. I knew I wasn't going to get hired because he told me he didn't like my grades, never mind my extensive work/internship experience. He examines your entire transcript, but glazes over your resume. The pay was also horrible - 40k for an analyst?? During the final round, I was also interviewing with another company for an analyst position. After 1 phone interview and 1 on-site interview, I was hired 3 days later for 68k. I wish I had applied elsewhere first and not gone through this process. Save yourself the time and trouble and apply elsewhere, where they actually value your time, effort, and skills. You're worth way more than what Equilar has to offer.

Interview Questions
    • The 30 minute powerpoint presentation - college students have midterms/finals to study for...   Answer Question

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Equilar.

After giving Equilar my resume at my school's career fair, I was sent an email telling me to apply through their website. I was contacted again to schedule a 20 minute phone interview. After the phone interview, I was sent an online personality survey that took about 15 minutes then I was invited for an in-person interview. First, I was interviewed by two people who asked basic questions about my resume and transcript. Then, I was given an assessment that focused on finding spelling, grammar, and formatting errors. It also had some fairly basic calculations. Finally, I was interviewed by two more people. After the second interview, it took two weeks for a response.

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Equilar.

I applied online through my university's job board and was contacted about a week later to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty standard (weaknesses, why do you want to work here, why is what Equilar does important). After they decided to move-forward and schedule an in-person interview they sent me a personality survey to complete prior to the actual interview.

The in-person interview I met with a couple senior analysts, HR, and the director of research where they asked me about my previous experiences and how I thought I would fit into the role. Between the two pairs of interviewers they gave me a challenge to complete, this was not difficult. It was basically looking through a couple documents to find typos and determine a few different salaries for board members as well as executives. The next pair of interviewers asked me more about my experiences, best accomplishment and then grilled me on why executive compensation is important. Overall, it took about 2.5 hours to be there and none of the questions were overly difficult.

Interview Questions
    • Why is executive compensation important?   View Answer
    No negotiation

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Equilar.

included an on campus interview (applied via career fair), in office interview, third interview which candidate prepares a presentation on a preselected topic. Pretty typical questions, just make sure to do your research

Research Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Equilar.

Initial Phone Screen and personality test. Questions were basic and the interview lasted about 20 minutes. Focused on background and education, as well your knowledge of the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Equilar in February 2014.

I saw the position on my campus career site and applied through Equilar's job portal.

The response for a phone interview was very quick, approximately 2 days. The phone interview was around 20 minutes. No unusual questions. Just make sure you did some research about the company and on executive compensation topics.

Interview Questions
    • Why do companies pay Equilar to do executive compensation research for them?   Answer Question