Equilar Research Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Aug 8, 2014
Updated Aug 8, 2014

39 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Equilar.

The process is not too hard if you know anything about finance/data since most people start without knowing much. After reading company reviews and going through the interview process, I now know why all the reviews are negative. The work you do seem very menial and you don't seem to learn much. Most of all, I was very disappointed with the CEO. He just randomly walks in and interviewed me. He was not only rude but made me feel uneasy and leave the place.

Interview Questions
  • The final round is a presentation and the CEO randomly just walks into the interview.   Answer Question

CEO was way too rude. Immediately made me not want to work at Equilar

Other Interview Reviews for Equilar

Research Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Equilar in December 2013.

I had an initial phone interview with a recruiter. It was about 15 minutes. She asked me about my experience, what I knew about Equilar and its products, and why I wanted to work there. Next, I took an online personality test to see if I was a good fit for the company. Next, I had a two-hour Skype interview with 3 employees. I took a written test, which was difficult, and did not get to the next round.

Interview Questions
    • The written test was the most difficult part of the interview.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Equilar.

The process was so long and grueling, spanning over a month and 3 on-site interviews. Interview questions and steps were not difficult, just unnecessary to put candidate through so much. The final step is a 30 minute powerpoint presentation, which is ridiculous. I felt pretty bad for the hiring managers too since they looked bored out of their minds - it must've been the 200th presentation they heard on the same topic.

I give this an overall negative review because with the exception of 1 person out of the 6 I met with, everyone was unfriendly and unhappy, including the CEO. I knew I wasn't going to get hired because he told me he didn't like my grades, never mind my extensive work/internship experience. He examines your entire transcript, but glazes over your resume. The pay was also horrible - 40k for an analyst?? During the final round, I was also interviewing with another company for an analyst position. After 1 phone interview and 1 on-site interview, I was hired 3 days later for 68k. I wish I had applied elsewhere first and not gone through this process. Save yourself the time and trouble and apply elsewhere, where they actually value your time, effort, and skills. You're worth way more than what Equilar has to offer.

Interview Questions
    • The 30 minute powerpoint presentation - college students have midterms/finals to study for...   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Equilar.

After giving Equilar my resume at my school's career fair, I was sent an email telling me to apply through their website. I was contacted again to schedule a 20 minute phone interview. After the phone interview, I was sent an online personality survey that took about 15 minutes then I was invited for an in-person interview. First, I was interviewed by two people who asked basic questions about my resume and transcript. Then, I was given an assessment that focused on finding spelling, grammar, and formatting errors. It also had some fairly basic calculations. Finally, I was interviewed by two more people. After the second interview, it took two weeks for a response.

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Equilar.

I applied online through my university's job board and was contacted about a week later to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty standard (weaknesses, why do you want to work here, why is what Equilar does important). After they decided to move-forward and schedule an in-person interview they sent me a personality survey to complete prior to the actual interview.

The in-person interview I met with a couple senior analysts, HR, and the director of research where they asked me about my previous experiences and how I thought I would fit into the role. Between the two pairs of interviewers they gave me a challenge to complete, this was not difficult. It was basically looking through a couple documents to find typos and determine a few different salaries for board members as well as executives. The next pair of interviewers asked me more about my experiences, best accomplishment and then grilled me on why executive compensation is important. Overall, it took about 2.5 hours to be there and none of the questions were overly difficult.

Interview Questions
    • Why is executive compensation important?   View Answer
    No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Equilar in April 2011.

The interviewer seemed like a typical "frat bro", so it was hard to start an easy friendly conversation with him if you don't immediately click with that type of personality. He asked basic behavioral questions, nothing out of the ordinary. Just do basic research on the company and prepare for the typical interview questions, and you should be fine.

Research Analyst Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Equilar in November 2011.

I had a phone screen with the HR person and wish that I was not invited for an in-person interview. The HR person was kind and encouraging over the phone. For the in-person interview I met with two managers separately and they were both very rude and unprofessional. They were not impressed with my resume at all so I wondered why I was invited for an interview in the first place. The HR person sat in for the first interview and she kept looking at me with concern and looking at him with shock because he was being so rude but she did not say anything. I was so horrified after meeting with the first person that I was going to leave but decided to see the process through just in case the second person would be nice. I took a skills test which was quite easy. The second person I met with was even more rude than the first but I was so ready to leave that he sensed it and the interview lasted only a few minutes. I knew I would not get an offer because of my short answers - I really wanted to get out of there. I am happy that I got a different job and work with smart and professional people. I have had many interviews with high-profile people and never had such a traumatizing experience.

Interview Questions
    • Why is your resume so long?
      What do you do for fun?
      What is Public Administration?
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Equilar.

included an on campus interview (applied via career fair), in office interview, third interview which candidate prepares a presentation on a preselected topic. Pretty typical questions, just make sure to do your research

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Equilar in March 2013.

Met Equilar at my university career fair. They also had an informational night. Info night consisted of a slideshow, and q&a-- I recommend dressing up. They also encourage everyone to apply online. You should tailor your cover letter that writes what you can bring to equilar and describe your story. I got offered an interview a few days after. After a couple weeks there are about 2 more interviews and a mock project.

Interview Questions
    • What is an experience that you are most proud of?   View Answer

Research Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Equilar.

Initial Phone Screen and personality test. Questions were basic and the interview lasted about 20 minutes. Focused on background and education, as well your knowledge of the company.

Interview Questions

Worked for Equilar? Contribute to the Community!