Equilar

Average Difficulty
35 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Research Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Equilar.

Interview Details – I applied online through my university's job board and was contacted about a week later to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty standard (weaknesses, why do you want to work here, why is what Equilar does important). After they decided to move-forward and schedule an in-person interview they sent me a personality survey to complete prior to the actual interview.

The in-person interview I met with a couple senior analysts, HR, and the director of research where they asked me about my previous experiences and how I thought I would fit into the role. Between the two pairs of interviewers they gave me a challenge to complete, this was not difficult. It was basically looking through a couple documents to find typos and determine a few different salaries for board members as well as executives. The next pair of interviewers asked me more about my experiences, best accomplishment and then grilled me on why executive compensation is important. Overall, it took about 2.5 hours to be there and none of the questions were overly difficult.

Interview Question – Why is executive compensation important?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Redwood City, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Equilar in April 2011.

Interview Details – The interviewer seemed like a typical "frat bro", so it was hard to start an easy friendly conversation with him if you don't immediately click with that type of personality. He asked basic behavioral questions, nothing out of the ordinary. Just do basic research on the company and prepare for the typical interview questions, and you should be fine.

Interview Questions

Research Analyst

I applied online - interviewed at Equilar in November 2011.

Interview Details – I had a phone screen with the HR person and wish that I was not invited for an in-person interview. The HR person was kind and encouraging over the phone. For the in-person interview I met with two managers separately and they were both very rude and unprofessional. They were not impressed with my resume at all so I wondered why I was invited for an interview in the first place. The HR person sat in for the first interview and she kept looking at me with concern and looking at him with shock because he was being so rude but she did not say anything. I was so horrified after meeting with the first person that I was going to leave but decided to see the process through just in case the second person would be nice. I took a skills test which was quite easy. The second person I met with was even more rude than the first but I was so ready to leave that he sensed it and the interview lasted only a few minutes. I knew I would not get an offer because of my short answers - I really wanted to get out of there. I am happy that I got a different job and work with smart and professional people. I have had many interviews with high-profile people and never had such a traumatizing experience.

Interview Question – Why is your resume so long?
What do you do for fun?
What is Public Administration?
  Answer Question

Redwood City, CA

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Equilar.

Interview Details – included an on campus interview (applied via career fair), in office interview, third interview which candidate prepares a presentation on a preselected topic. Pretty typical questions, just make sure to do your research

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness   Answer Question

Redwood City, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Equilar in March 2013.

Interview Details – Met Equilar at my university career fair. They also had an informational night. Info night consisted of a slideshow, and q&a-- I recommend dressing up. They also encourage everyone to apply online. You should tailor your cover letter that writes what you can bring to equilar and describe your story. I got offered an interview a few days after. After a couple weeks there are about 2 more interviews and a mock project.

Interview Question – What is an experience that you are most proud of?   View Answer

Research Analyst

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Equilar.

Interview Details – Initial Phone Screen and personality test. Questions were basic and the interview lasted about 20 minutes. Focused on background and education, as well your knowledge of the company.

Interview Question – When did you innovate something at your workplace?   Answer Question

Redwood City, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Equilar in February 2014.

Interview Details – I saw the position on my campus career site and applied through Equilar's job portal.

The response for a phone interview was very quick, approximately 2 days. The phone interview was around 20 minutes. No unusual questions. Just make sure you did some research about the company and on executive compensation topics.

Interview Question – Why do companies pay Equilar to do executive compensation research for them?   Answer Question

Redwood City, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Equilar in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through university. Hiring process consisted of a phone interview and two in office interviews. Nothing out of the ordinary for the phone interview, basically behavioral questions, why Equilar, what are you strengths. There was an assessment test during the first in office interview. 3 pages front and back, ranged from math to grammar. The interviews were not as bad as the other reviews had made it out to be. Equilar is certainly filled with bright people, and they are looking to hire the same type of employee. The vibe was very much silicon valley technology company, fast paced but laid back.

Interview Question – Why would a company not be inclined to pay an executive officer equity as opposed to cash   View Answer

Redwood City, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Equilar in December 2013.

Interview Details – 3 Interview rounds. First round is over the phone. Basic questions. Second round is in the office in Redwood City, and the third round required you to present on a selected topic and you get to talk to the CEO.

Interview Question – There were no unexpected questions. Everything is resume or behaviour related.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Equilar

Interview Details – I applied through LinkedIn. I got an interview over the phone. The phone interview took about 30 minutes. Basic interview questions. Nothing out of the ordinary. What are your three strengths? What's your GPA? What does Equilar do? Etc. If you are mentally prepare, then you are ready. The company seems to have lots of younger employees compared to other companies, I am not sure how much you can learn/grow here. After, there is a personal assessment, describing yourself e.g. kind, passive, exciting, and etc.
Took the assessment test, still waiting for acceptance/rejection letter. Not sure if I want to work here, even if I did get an offer.

Interview Question – Why does the public have interest in executive compensations?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Equilar

Worked for Equilar? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Equilar Research Analyst interview questions and advice. All 35 interview reviews posted anonymously by Equilar employees and interview candidates.