Equilar Research Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2015
Updated Apr 13, 2015

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Equilar in March 2015.

Interview

Met a recruiter at the campus career fair and submitted my resume through the university career listing website and the company website. Was contacted a couple of weeks later for an on-campus interview. Received an invitation for a second round interview.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Equilar

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Equilar (Redwood City, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Three sections. First was an interview by two people talking about your background and experience. Next you are given exercises to complete which are not too difficult. Then two more interviewers come in and talk about the company with you. Not a difficult process but it is long.

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Equilar (Redwood City, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Met them at university career fair after receiving an email about Equilar, later met at info session. Applied online and got a first round on-campus interview. The HR manager is charismatic and engaging-I met her from the career fair and she recognized me at the interview. Fairly standard behavioral questions and she had a good sense of directing the flow of the interview. For example, she asked me a few questions about exec comp, e.g. what are some benefits or disadvantages of Say on Pay (shareholder approved exec pay). I gave a comprehensive answer, she said I looked like I had a clear grasp on it, and moved on to the next section. She had a good way of being direct while also remaining nice and professional. Overall I was quite happy with this interview.

I was invited to an on-site interview in Redwood City a few days later, and I scheduled for about two weeks later. Things started to get a little hazier at this point. They sent a "Predictive Index" to fill out saying it wasn't a test, "just get to know you a little better." Right. The index asked really cheesy questions with basically having you check a bunch of boxes with adjectives for personality traits. A bit hard to see why anyone would check boxes for negative traits like anger or sadness or frustration.

Once on-site, two teams of two interviewers had a go. It was about a 2 hour process, and it seemed longer than it needed to be. The first interviewers probed a bit deep into personal stuff that wasn't necessary-like why I had transferred out of another college to the one I'm currently at. Or why I wasn't happy at my old college, etc. They gave me a written test which was some word problems on exec comp. Nothing too fancy or tricky. They do ask you to point out intentional typos in the test-shades of what is to come for the job. The next team (after written) asked a few more questions, in depth, about why exec comp is important, what would you do, etc. It became harder to answer these questions because the firm researches how high exec comp is going, but also networks with Silicon Valley corporate execs, e.g. Tim Cook. Hence, you have to say why researching exec comp is important, but you can't badmouth the extremely high rates its going at right now without treading on the executive client base it's building. They also attached a news flash article before the interview; they asked me about it during the second team's interview, even though it was attached weeks earlier as simply "for your reference." So make sure you read and know it.

At the end, they asked me to list off a few strengths of mine. I did. They then said, "We hear that all the time; why should we hire you over other candidates?" Wasn't pleased and felt it was a bit of a condescending question to ask.

I did not hear anything back after the interview. I emailed a few weeks later for an update, and received reply back the next day that they had decided not to invite me to a third round.

In sum, the HR manager first round interview, the info session, and career fair showing were all friendly, energetic, and well done. They even responded to questions through email about their firm before the career fair-that was very nice as well. But the on-site interview was poorly done, with personal/inappropriate interview questions done by interviewers who didn't seem very experienced at this. I really wish the energy and engagement at the start carried through before some of these more outdated and ineffective interview approaches came up on-site.

Interview Questions

• What did you do to prepare for this interview?
      Why should we hire you over the other candidates?

Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Equilar in January 2015.

Interview

The woman that called was fixated on college experience rather than professional experience. She was also concentrating on who the main clients were for the company. After a few responses and probing on her end, she moved on. Not everyone knows the specific clients- they do not work there, that information is not crucial at this point. Move on.

Interview Questions

• What was your GPA in college? Why did you choose your major? Who do you think would use Equilar's product?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Equilar in January 2015.

Interview

Submitted through university career listing website and also directly through the company website. Was emailed back for a phone interview and was contacted by an Analyst within a week. They called me and asked me a few basic questions that I've included below.

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Equilar in December 2014.

Interview

Submitted a cover letter and resume online. Then received instructions to do a pre recorded video interview that had several questions that could have easily been done in a document. Had to repeat a lot of information I had previous submitted in the form of a cover letter. Had an in person interview that ended up being 2 and a half hours. 2 separate interviews with 2 different pairs of people and an evaluation.

Unsure about the company

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Equilar.

Interview

Had four parts to my interview, each longer and more tedious than the first. Had to submit a resume and cover letter online through a portal. Had to do a phone interview and online personality test. The personality test basically came down to chose words to describe yourself and words others would use to describe you.

Interview Questions

• What do you think about laws regarding capping executive compensation to the median worker?   Answer Question

The interviewers seemed eager to explain how the company was not as horrible as explained on glass door. Were honest about the high turnover but could not give a reason for it. Was a huge red flag. Also uncomfortable with the questions asked. Too political in nature. Felt like they were asking who I voted for in the last election.

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Equilar (Redwood City, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied for the Research Analyst Internship through their website. The first step was a digital interview, which asked basic get-to-know you questions (i.e. GPA? Why did you choose your major? Strengths? Why Equilar?). There was also a very brief Personality Inventory that you took online.

Three weeks later, I did a second round (and final) interview via Skype. Normally, it's an in-person interview at their office, but I was applying from the East Coast. The first part was a basic interview with two lower-level employees. From what I gathered, they were not HR personnel, but rather research analysts, similar to the internship role. They were friendly and asked basic get-to-know you questions. Since I was from the East Coast, they asked about my school (what it was like, why I chose it, etc.)

After, speaking with them for about 45 minutes, I had to do three online assessments. Again, normally you would do this at the office. The first was a basic spreadsheet where you had to write down anything that looked like it needed to be adjusted. Anything from spelling to numeric values was fair game. The second assessment involved calculating executive pay based on a paragraph of information. The second part of that were basic math problems (i.e. if this person who is a committee chair of X, Y, Z went to half of the meetings, how much did he get?). The last assessment was about deferred compensation. You had to proofread a paragraph, and then use that information to fill in chart (What would his compensation be if he deferred $XX for 3, 4, or 5 years?) Then, you had to write a short paragraph on the pros and cons of deferred compensation.

Last, I had a second interview with two higher level employees. One was actually in HR. They asked some behavioral questions, and more industry-related questions (i.e. Who do you think are Equilar's clients? How did you prepare for this interview? What's your opinion on equity vs. cash pay out? What's the greatest challenge for committees creating regulation for executive compensation?) For some, this might be the hardest part. Not a lot of people know about executive compensation, SO DO YOUR HOMEWORK! Behavioral questions were basic get-to-know you (i.e. What do you do in your free time?)

In total, the Skype interview took just over two hours. A little over a week later, they got back to me on a decision. The whoe process took about a month. I was offered the internship, but I couldn't afford to move across the country for $15 an hour with no guarantee of a full time job (especially to an area as expensive as CA). It would've been a great experience though!

Interview Questions

• What role do you see yourself in 7 years? (this was the hardest for me, because they wanted me to be super specific. I said that I saw myself in a managerial role, helping others to be more successful. I also said that I'd want to have pursued graduate education as well. It didn't seem like they were satisfied with that answer, wanting me to choose a specific industry, etc. I tried to clarify the questions, but was told "just take it as you think.")   Answer Question

It wasn't worth moving across the country just for an internship. Had I been local, I would've accepted.

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Equilar in September 2014.

Interview

Irrationally, I was skeptical of the interview process once I was told that it would be pre-recorded. I honestly expected a phone interview, or a face-to-face interview, like most Bay Area companies do. Interviewing in this way does not add value to or facilitate the talent acquisition process.

The questions were relatively simple:
    Why Equilar?
    Why is what Equilar does important?
    Why are you interested?
    Can you summarize what it is that Equilar does?
    What is one of your best characteristics?
    Name another one and give an example of a situation when you've demonstrated it.
    What other types of jobs are you pursuing? (Very intrusive! Is this even appropriate/allowed?)

There are a few more that I can't really think of, unfortunately. Just know that the first round is only a fit-styled interview. I hope this adds equity to someone else's pursuit.

Interview Questions

• "What other types of jobs are you pursuing?" I wasn't sure if this was going to make or break me.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Equilar.

Interview

The process is not too hard if you know anything about finance/data since most people start without knowing much. After reading company reviews and going through the interview process, I now know why all the reviews are negative. The work you do seem very menial and you don't seem to learn much. Most of all, I was very disappointed with the CEO. He just randomly walks in and interviewed me. He was not only rude but made me feel uneasy and leave the place.

Interview Questions

• The final round is a presentation and the CEO randomly just walks into the interview.   Answer Question

CEO was way too rude. Immediately made me not want to work at Equilar