Equinox Fitness Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

2.8

Front Desk Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Equinox Fitness.

Interview

I came in very nervous and not really knowing what to expect but the assistant manager that interviewed me was super laid back, which made me feel very comfortable during the process. He explained the responsibilities of the job and then just asked me a few easy questions regarding my past experiences. I even lost my train of thoughts in the middle of talking about my experience, but he was really understanding about it and didn't make a big deal at all. And after the interview he gave me a full tour of the club, then answered some questions I had. Overall, just be positive, confident, smile a lot, and present a likable personality and you'll be fine! It also helps if you have a lot of availability, they want people that can work 3-4 shifts a week (depending on the club).

Interview Questions

• Be ready to give examples of how you handled some certain situations in your past jobs.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Equinox Fitness (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Standard 10 minute phone screen, one on one interview with manager, and a group interview. The group interview was mainly used to see how you interact with others and how you communicate as part of a team. There was a group case study where you create an exercise program for a particular client.

Membership Advisor Interview

Interview

relatively informal, especially if it's going well. they like people who seem smart, self-sufficient, self-starters, enthusiastic and ambitious. they're looking for the "whole package," and if you seem to have the entire package, it shouldn't take long to hear back and get hired.

Interview Questions

• Why Equinox? What sets you apart from other similarly qualified candidates?   Answer Question

Front Desk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Equinox Fitness (Houston, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

It was easy, went in and smiled and was friendly and got the job on the spot. If you are smart you will get the job. You just have to go in confident and you will be okay. Also, make sure you say you know someone who is a member at the club that might help you out.

Anonymous Employee in Mamaroneck, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Equinox Fitness (Mamaroneck, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

I went through a 3 step process. 1) Phone interview; I was asked why I'm interested in Equinox and to briefly highlight my experience as a personal trainer. 2) Panel interview; I had a face to face with the personal training manager and the fitness director. They took turns asking about my lifestyle, details on my resume, education and experiences in previous jobs (both related & not related to the position I was applying for). 3) Group interview; Me and 3 other candidates met with the two people from the panel interview along with the general manager of the club and the fitness director from another club. They started with something they called "connecting the dots" to break the ice and asked one of the other candidates to perform 10-15 squats. Afterwards, the rest of us were asked to assess the squat. Next they asked me to perform the same amount of push-ups and asked the others to assess my push-up. For the final part of the group interview, they asked us to design a two week program for a hypothetical client and gave us 20 minutes to complete it.

Interview Questions

• How would you build your business from nothing if you worked for Equinox?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Equinox Fitness (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

1) Phone Interview: Really basic. One of the PT managers calls and pretty much gets to know you, ask a bit about your experience and "why Equinox?" 2) One-on-One Interview: Self-explanatory. You meet in person with one of the PT managers. They discuss your experience more in depth and ask things like "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" and "What's going to be your biggest challenge you face here at Equinox?" Again, they're trying to see if you can handle the industry and if your expectations are realistic in regards to the hours, the pay, the floor shifts, availability, etc. 3) Group Interview: You meet at one of the Chicago locations with all of the other PT candidates (there were about eight of us) and one or two managers from each Chicago location is there too. First, they do a team-building "get to know you" exercise where you have to relate to someone else in the room with two random facts. Then, two managers take turns and perform a really bad squat and a really bad push-up, and you have to chime in and try and correct them. Finally, they split you up into groups of two or three and pair you with a manager to do a case study. You get a client's lifestyle history, medical information, injuries, age, etc and you have to make a two-week program for them and present it to the room. You get 20 minutes. Basically, they want to see that you're confident, eager to learn and work on any weaknesses, and have the ability/potential to be a good trainer and coach.

Interview Questions

• What do you think will be your biggest challenge you face here at Equinox?   1 Answer

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Equinox Fitness (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Very professional and complete Interview process. Every level of management does a great job at outlining what is expected if hired. It is a pretty intense process and at times it can be intimidating . Certainly directed to weed out flakey candidates and only advance go getters to the next level . A lot of scenario questions , related experience and personnel lifestyle questions throughout.

Equinox Personal Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Equinox Fitness (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Process ultimately depends on club location and how fitness managers there wish to proceed. Typically a three step process: phone call with recruiter, one on one interview with one or two PT/Fitness managers, and finally, a group interview where you develop a program for an individual with special considerations. At my location however, I did not have to participate in the group interview and was offered the position after meeting with the Fitness manager, who was not present for the first one on one meeting. Ask a lot of questions! They like to know that you're passionate and curious not just about the fitness industry, but Equinox.

Equinox Personal Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Equinox Fitness (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

you have to apply online and then go through a series of phone calls before getting an interview in person, then after a series of questions, they may or may not call you back to schedule a face to face interview and then they will decide if your hired or not. However you wont make it to the face to face if they are not interested in hiring you.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Equinox Fitness (New York, NY).

Interview

I emailed with the Personal Training manager back and forth. Finally scheduled a 1-on-1 interview. We talked about my background, experience, certifications and usual interview questions like "Why do you want to work for us." Then I was invited back for a group interview. During the group interview we had to correct form on a squat by just calling out what you saw. Then you had to get together and make a one week program for someone. They also asked questions about what we came up with and the why behind it.

Interview Questions

• What are your fitness goals? What are your strengths and weaknesses? Correct form on a squat. Develop a 1 week program as a group.   Answer Question