Equinox Fitness Interview Questions

Updated Apr 8, 2015
Updated Apr 8, 2015

2.8

Personal Trainer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Equinox Fitness (Westwood, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

It was a group interview. I arrived a few minutes early, we were met with two of the fitness managers. Given a tour, then a lecture-slide show. (The only bad thing was that our validated parking was only for 2 hours. We went over and I almost had to pay $22.00 to park for my interview!)

Interview Questions

• They asked me to tell them about myself. It was open ended.   1 Answer

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Equinox Fitness.

Interview

I applied in the shop, I went into the gym and applied at the front desk for their retail store. I got called back by the One of the executive managers to come in for an interview. I then came in met my manager, and she asked me a few questions. After her, I met the manager of the gym, who then interviewed me some more, seeing if I qualified for the position. Also if I was suitable for the gym, since it is a high luxury one. The interview was around 30 - 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• How well do you work under pressure? What brand names do you know? How would you market this brand name? Since you are working alone, how do you make sure that no one will steal?   Answer Question

Esthetician Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Equinox Fitness (Irvine, CA).

Interview

Their job posting will lead you to believe that you are applying for the stated position but once you get there they state "this is a sales position". I first met with the spa manager who asked just a few questions and quickly moved me on to interview with the sales manager for a much more rigorous interview based all on sales and nothing to do with your actual job title. If you have any passion at all for what you do then this is probably not the place for you because it is very obvious that they are not looking to be client relationship focused but to be all sales focused-how much can you get out of the client? It was quickly and clearly obvious that my view of building client relationships in order to gain trust and create long term clients was not what they are looking for. After interviewing with the sales manager I was supposed to meet back up with the spa manager for a tour of the facility, well the sales manager made up some bogus lie that the spa manager had an emergency to tend to and could not meet with me, although I saw right through and knew it was because they saw that I am an Esthetician who values customer service, which in my view builds a valuable long term client that trusts you and ultimately spends their money with you time and time again and not just once because they are being sold and realize you don't value them for anything but the money they will give you. Ultimately, I wasn't the sales person they were looking for.

Interview Questions

• 3 strengths and a weakness. How do you sell to clients. Give an example of how you would sell a moisturizer.   Answer Question

Assistant General Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Equinox Fitness (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Extremely professional and thorough. Each person I met with seemed knowledgeable, professional and polite. They really emphasize the "lifestyle" as an employee, with focus on health and wellness- and being around that as profession. Seems like a great company with very dedicated employees. Questions weren't difficult, more qualifying the experience and skills necessary and expected.

Not enough money.

Personal Trainer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Equinox Fitness.

Interview

Phone interview was brief. First interview at the gym was with the manager about 30 minutes. I got a tour of the facility and then spoke in the manager's office.

Fitness Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Equinox Fitness (Chicago, IL).

Interview

They put you through a very rigorous interview process. One on one, round table, practical. They were all very professional and courteous with great questions. The only problem is that they are typically for bait and switch positions. In order to get anywhere you must start at the VERY bottom despite your experience.

Interview Questions

• I was asked what I would do about stolen/lost items. I was given multiple scenarios with no real "right answer" option.   Answer Question

The pay was not acceptable.

Senior Counsel Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Equinox Fitness (New York, NY).

Interview

After an initial phone call with the internal recruiter at Equinox, I had two in person interviews with the General Counsel and one other senior attorney. The interviews were difficult (lots of behavioral questions) but everyone I met with was very pleasant. Throughout the process the recruiter was constantly in touch to let me know how the process was unfolding. We corresponded at least once per week over the course of two months. Even when there was nothing to report, e.g. when the General Counsel was on vacation, she let me know so that I wasn't left in the dark. I actually felt like Equinox was courting me and trying to recruit me throughout the process, which is in stark contrast to every other interview I've been on this past year. In the end I did not get an offer but again the recruiter was courteous enough to schedule a call to let me know over the phone. I was disappointed not to get an offer but overall the interview process was worthwhile because the recruiter was so courteous and professional throughout. The rest of Corporate America should take a lesson from Equinox on how to conduct recruiting.

Assistant General Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Equinox Fitness.

Interview

Process started with a phone interview with a recruiter in NYC. Next step was an interview in person with a recruiter in LA. Both the HR folks were passionate about what they did and the company. 3rd Interview was with 3 guys. Interview was very relaxed and more of a conversations. I was asked to wait around to meet the VP in LA. Another very relaxed conversation. All nice people.

Interview Questions

• There wasn't really a difficult question. It is VERY clear that they are driven by meeting sales projections. If you don't meet them, you should expect a call from your supervisor as to why your club is not meeting the goals.   Answer Question

Personal Trainer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Equinox Fitness in September 2014.

Interview

Phone interview which led to an in person interview. Very unprofessional in my opinion. Interview scheduled for 11am did not begin until 11:45am. Interviewers were very awkward one person asked the questions other said absolutely nothing. Not personable people even though they are in a business that you need to be personable. Pay is minimum wage and hourly training sessions with clients is insanely low pay also.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Equinox Fitness.

Interview

Thoughtful but low key, not heavily formatted, informal. Have an interest in the details and the particular market relevant to the interview. Appreciate the analytical. Bring a handsome exterior, look the part.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Intense