Equinox Fitness Personal Trainer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 6, 2014

2.9

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Personal Trainer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Equinox Fitness in September 2014.

Phone interview which led to an in person interview. Very unprofessional in my opinion. Interview scheduled for 11am did not begin until 11:45am. Interviewers were very awkward one person asked the questions other said absolutely nothing. Not personable people even though they are in a business that you need to be personable. Pay is minimum wage and hourly training sessions with clients is insanely low pay also.

Other Interview Reviews for Equinox Fitness

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Equinox Fitness in July 2014.

Equinox puts you through 3 interviews. One face to face. Then practical interview to test your program design. Lastly a group interview. The questions are typical, "what four personality types do you struggle with".

Interview Questions
    • The most challenging thing is your availability. You must be available throughout the day.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Highland Park, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Highland Park, IL

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Equinox Fitness in June 2014.

Initial communications were pretty good, but the location changed at the last minute. Interview was conducted in a small stuffy room just off the lobby. Although I had many questions, their answers were a bit evasive, especially regarding compensation. The person I would have been working for did not, in my opinion, present himself or the club very well. They didn't even give me a tour of the facility.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. The questions could have come from an "Interviewing 101" book. ie. "What is your greatest weakness?" "What have you done to correct it?"   Answer Question

Personal trainers work for minimum wage, and are expected to work 60+ hours

Personal Trainer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Equinox Fitness.

They flake a lot on the interviews. Don't be surprised if you have to call back or they rescheduled the date. For the interview they'll ask you to try to sell a package of workouts so definitely know how to sell and convince people. Then they'll take you on to the gym floor and ask you to demonstrate a few exercises. Know how to correct someone when they're making mistakes and that's about it. I wish I could tell you more about the interview process, but it's still very questionable. They hire idiots all the time, but gloss over people with actual talent.

Interview Questions
    • The ask you to sell one of their packages of workouts which range from 12 to 48.   Answer Question

Personal Trainer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Equinox Fitness in April 2014.

I went through the interview process which was very strange. I don't want to go into too much detail but by the third interview, you feel beaten down. I thought that when they called me in for the third interview I would get the job but that was not the case. The fitness manager sat there and actually told me why he wouldn't hire me. It was the most insulting situation and actually glad that I didn't get hired.

Interview Questions
    • Please design a fitness program for a middle aged guy with a specific group of health issues.   Answer Question

Personal Trainer Interview

interviewed at Equinox Fitness in February 2014.

Got the interview online, lasted about 10 minutes. Easy

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Equinox Fitness in January 2013.

The individuals who conducted the interview were very professional and polite. I feel working with them would be a warm experience.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was, "what channels are you currently following on youtube?"   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Equinox Fitness.

two people interview you at the same time

Interview Questions
    • what programs do you tie your clients (the interview was easy)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Hollywood, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Hollywood, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Equinox Fitness in April 2012.

It was like a 5 tier interview process. It takes a while to get hired. Then after you're hired you go through months of training and orientation before you are given the opportunity to make any decent sales.

Interview Questions
    • Be ready to get thrown into a practical exam without warning. The manager may give you a client training scenario with another trainer pretending to be a customer, just to see how you respond and train.   View Answer
    There's zero room for negotiations. Don't even try.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Equinox Fitness in January 2012.

Was contacted by the regional recruiter after submitting my resume on the same day. Was told I would be contacted by a certain date and if not contacted to let her know. Was never contacted and informed recruiter. Was finally called two days later, after 7p and was away from phone. Fitness Manager left message for me to call. Called immediately the next morning and was informed that the FM was not in, so left a voice mail. After a week, I tried to call again. Was told FM was busy and would have to call me back. The FM did not call me back for another two weeks. Finally had phone interview and scheduled 1:1 interview. That interview went great and was told I would be called for a practical and a panel interview to follow. Two weeks later was finally called to schedule practical. Practical was a week later and finally got my case study. Case study had very limited info and was very vague on what was to be done. Showed up to the practical on time and prepared. Was rushed through the practical with a trainer that was supposed to be my case study client. After practical was cut short the FM was very rude and made unintelligent comments. Not sure if it was just a bad day for her, but def was for me after that experience. Bad experience and unimpressed with the whole process.