Equinox Fitness Personal Trainer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 16, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Mamaroneck, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Equinox Fitness (Mamaroneck, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

I went through a 3 step process. 1) Phone interview; I was asked why I'm interested in Equinox and to briefly highlight my experience as a personal trainer. 2) Panel interview; I had a face to face with the personal training manager and the fitness director. They took turns asking about my lifestyle, details on my resume, education and experiences in previous jobs (both related & not related to the position I was applying for). 3) Group interview; Me and 3 other candidates met with the two people from the panel interview along with the general manager of the club and the fitness director from another club. They started with something they called "connecting the dots" to break the ice and asked one of the other candidates to perform 10-15 squats. Afterwards, the rest of us were asked to assess the squat. Next they asked me to perform the same amount of push-ups and asked the others to assess my push-up. For the final part of the group interview, they asked us to design a two week program for a hypothetical client and gave us 20 minutes to complete it.

Interview Questions

• How would you build your business from nothing if you worked for Equinox?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Equinox Fitness

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Equinox Fitness (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

1) Phone Interview: Really basic. One of the PT managers calls and pretty much gets to know you, ask a bit about your experience and "why Equinox?" 2) One-on-One Interview: Self-explanatory. You meet in person with one of the PT managers. They discuss your experience more in depth and ask things like "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" and "What's going to be your biggest challenge you face here at Equinox?" Again, they're trying to see if you can handle the industry and if your expectations are realistic in regards to the hours, the pay, the floor shifts, availability, etc. 3) Group Interview: You meet at one of the Chicago locations with all of the other PT candidates (there were about eight of us) and one or two managers from each Chicago location is there too. First, they do a team-building "get to know you" exercise where you have to relate to someone else in the room with two random facts. Then, two managers take turns and perform a really bad squat and a really bad push-up, and you have to chime in and try and correct them. Finally, they split you up into groups of two or three and pair you with a manager to do a case study. You get a client's lifestyle history, medical information, injuries, age, etc and you have to make a two-week program for them and present it to the room. You get 20 minutes. Basically, they want to see that you're confident, eager to learn and work on any weaknesses, and have the ability/potential to be a good trainer and coach.

Interview Questions

• What do you think will be your biggest challenge you face here at Equinox?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Equinox Fitness (New York, NY).

Interview

I emailed with the Personal Training manager back and forth. Finally scheduled a 1-on-1 interview. We talked about my background, experience, certifications and usual interview questions like "Why do you want to work for us." Then I was invited back for a group interview. During the group interview we had to correct form on a squat by just calling out what you saw. Then you had to get together and make a one week program for someone. They also asked questions about what we came up with and the why behind it.

Interview Questions

• What are your fitness goals? What are your strengths and weaknesses? Correct form on a squat. Develop a 1 week program as a group.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Equinox Fitness (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I submitted an application online. I was contacted via email within two days to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview took place the next day. This process was completed within three days. The interview was pretty basic and not that difficult. The interviewer told me she liked what I had told her and that my prior experience matched the qualifications they were looking for. However, I could not meet the time requirements of the job. Equinox requires that you be on call from 5:30 AM to 10:30 PM to meet with clients. If you are not available for anytime during this period you will not be considered for the job.

Anonymous Employee in Westwood, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Equinox Fitness (Westwood, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

It was a group interview. I arrived a few minutes early, we were met with two of the fitness managers. Given a tour, then a lecture-slide show. (The only bad thing was that our validated parking was only for 2 hours. We went over and I almost had to pay $22.00 to park for my interview!)

Interview Questions

• They asked me to tell them about myself. It was open ended.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Equinox Fitness (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

Standard interview questions...which I wasn't prepared enough for actually! One was like...describe a time when you had to display leadership qualities at your job, another was something about problem solving. The interviewer was serious. I was intimidated, it was good practice for future intimidating interviews. The good news is, they do not make you demonstrate a pull-up or define the Karvonen formula, which for some reason I thought they might. As you can tell this was my first personal trainer interview :) Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Question: How would others describe you in the workplace?   1 Answer

Personal Trainer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Equinox Fitness.

Interview

Standard interview, 30-45 minutes. One on one getting to know who you are and your experience as a personal trainer. They explain the training process and the continuing education they offer. Also gives tour of gym. You must have full availability to get a job offer, no matter if you have good experience or not.

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult situation you had with a client and how you solved it   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Equinox Fitness (Dallas, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

Long, unorganized, unclear about pay structure. Show you numbers that you wont actually ever make unless you live there. Each interview I came in for they had the dates mixed up and forgot I was even coming so I had to wait a ridiculous amount of time for someone to come interview me.

Personal Trainer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Equinox Fitness.

Interview

Phone interview was brief. First interview at the gym was with the manager about 30 minutes. I got a tour of the facility and then spoke in the manager's office.

Personal Trainer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Equinox Fitness.

Interview

Walked into club, asked for manager and gave him my resume. Had phone interview the next day, then face to face interview the following week with both fitness managers. Got called back in for final interview with GM and fitness manager. Questions were not very difficult, mostly asked personality/behavior questions. Gave one case study. Final interview felt more like a conversation about my background and how comfortable I am with approaching people.

Interview Questions

• Gave me a case study using information from the EFTI program that I had not been involved with yet. Only asked me what I would do for the first 5 minutes so not really challenging.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate