Equinox Fitness

Average Difficulty
14 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Equinox Fitness in July 2014.

Interview Details – Equinox puts you through 3 interviews. One face to face. Then practical interview to test your program design. Lastly a group interview. The questions are typical, "what four personality types do you struggle with".

Interview Question – The most challenging thing is your availability. You must be available throughout the day.   Answer Question

Highland Park, IL

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Equinox Fitness in June 2014.

Interview Details – Initial communications were pretty good, but the location changed at the last minute. Interview was conducted in a small stuffy room just off the lobby. Although I had many questions, their answers were a bit evasive, especially regarding compensation. The person I would have been working for did not, in my opinion, present himself or the club very well. They didn't even give me a tour of the facility.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions. The questions could have come from an "Interviewing 101" book. ie. "What is your greatest weakness?" "What have you done to correct it?"   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Personal trainers work for minimum wage, and are expected to work 60+ hours

Personal Trainer

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Equinox Fitness.

Interview Details – They flake a lot on the interviews. Don't be surprised if you have to call back or they rescheduled the date. For the interview they'll ask you to try to sell a package of workouts so definitely know how to sell and convince people. Then they'll take you on to the gym floor and ask you to demonstrate a few exercises. Know how to correct someone when they're making mistakes and that's about it. I wish I could tell you more about the interview process, but it's still very questionable. They hire idiots all the time, but gloss over people with actual talent.

Interview Question – The ask you to sell one of their packages of workouts which range from 12 to 48.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Personal Trainer

I interviewed at Equinox Fitness in February 2014.

Interview Details – Got the interview online, lasted about 10 minutes. Easy

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for us   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Equinox Fitness in January 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online and was contacted within a week. Had multiple interviews at a few different locations. Final interview included a case study and personal training session. I ended up being offered a position at a location I had not been to during the interview process. It was a long process, but paid off in the end. .,

Interview Question – Case study and personal training session with management.   Answer Question

West Hollywood, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Equinox Fitness in April 2012.

Interview Details – It was like a 5 tier interview process. It takes a while to get hired. Then after you're hired you go through months of training and orientation before you are given the opportunity to make any decent sales.

Interview Question – Be ready to get thrown into a practical exam without warning. The manager may give you a client training scenario with another trainer pretending to be a customer, just to see how you respond and train.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There's zero room for negotiations. Don't even try.

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Equinox Fitness in June 2009.

Interview Details – I was called a few days after I submitted my resume. It was the personal training manager and they asked me a series of questions about my training history (i had none) and my experience helping others train/develop workouts. They also inquire on my training philosophy and seemed like they were happy about my past athletic history. Overall the initial contact was a personality feel-out and the subsequent face-to-to face interviews (4 of them) were more of your typical interview-nature.

Interview Question – Why you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not negotiable. Started as a "floor" trainer (20 hours/week @ min wage), and from there they give you leads (miss more than hit)

Bethesda, MD

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Equinox Fitness in January 2013.

Interview Details – The individuals who conducted the interview were very professional and polite. I feel working with them would be a warm experience.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was, "what channels are you currently following on youtube?"   View Answers (2)

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Equinox Fitness.

Interview Details – two people interview you at the same time

Interview Question – what programs do you tie your clients (the interview was easy)   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Equinox Fitness in January 2012.

Interview Details – Was contacted by the regional recruiter after submitting my resume on the same day. Was told I would be contacted by a certain date and if not contacted to let her know. Was never contacted and informed recruiter. Was finally called two days later, after 7p and was away from phone. Fitness Manager left message for me to call. Called immediately the next morning and was informed that the FM was not in, so left a voice mail. After a week, I tried to call again. Was told FM was busy and would have to call me back. The FM did not call me back for another two weeks. Finally had phone interview and scheduled 1:1 interview. That interview went great and was told I would be called for a practical and a panel interview to follow. Two weeks later was finally called to schedule practical. Practical was a week later and finally got my case study. Case study had very limited info and was very vague on what was to be done. Showed up to the practical on time and prepared. Was rushed through the practical with a trainer that was supposed to be my case study client. After practical was cut short the FM was very rude and made unintelligent comments. Not sure if it was just a bad day for her, but def was for me after that experience. Bad experience and unimpressed with the whole process.

Interview Question – Why do you want to be an Equinox Trainer   Answer Question

Worked for Equinox Fitness? Contribute to the Community!