Era Helicopters, Llc

Relevance Date Difficulty

PIC Pilot In Alaska Interview

PIC Pilot In Alaska
Lake Charles, LA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Era Helicopters, Llc in March 2012.

Interview Details – Ok...Guys I am going to give you an exact detail on how this interview process goes. You will be staying at the Wingate hotel in downtown Lake Charles. I can't stress it enough to try to be professional as possible even when you are staying at the hotel you are being watched, even when you check into the hotel. Be well behaved and be professional. Era deals with this hotel daily so don't make the front desk mad because they know why you are there and it would be bad to make a bad impression to anyone while you are representing the Era name and yes even for a interview. The night before your interview DO NOT GO TO THE CASINO. That is the worst mistake you can make. STUDY YOUR BOOKS !!! Remember why you are there. Its not to party. Be prepared. Wake up early be well dressed and shaven. First expressions are everything in this company. Make sure you meet the shuttle on time they WILL NOT wait. I personally had a rental car so i made sure I was there on time. Show up at least 15 mins early. At 8;00am they lock the doors if your not in there to bad. you didn't want it bad enough. Go home. First they start off by introductions of the company. At least make it look like your interested don't be yawning and slouching. They look for that type of stuff. Next comes your personal introductions, where you are from and what you have been doing. DONT BRAG. Be modest. Then they start by giving you a written knowledge test. Study your Basic WX mins, Air Spaces, Rotorcraft flying knowledge handbook, Regs, Be able to read a TAF. If you are a flight instructor, Cake walk but if not STUDY !!! I can't stress it enough. Its 25?s if you miss 5 your gone, CYA BYE. But they will not tell you what you made until after the sim ride. One by one you will go back to a ASTAR B2 sim. Be sure you know your SPECIAL VFR MIN wink wink. you will take off under SVFR. and head west toward southland airport you will encounter IFR conditions. DO NOT GO INTO IFR CONDITIONS. STAY VFR. Declare a emergency and go back to Lake Charles. You will shoot a ILS approach. And that all you man if you mess that up thats on you. Sorry I am doing my best to give you a heads up I can't fly it for you. You will then go missed VFR and circle to land. After that you will wait for your one on one interview and again thats all on you. And they will let you know how you did on the test and the sim. For me it was a two day process so they did not offer me the position right away. If you fail the written you will be asked to leave and thank you for coming in. But the next day was over at the airport in the HR building. Everyone gets a drug test even if you are not offered a position. They call you in the HR office one at a time and if they like you they will offer you a verbal offer first followed by a written in at few days depending on your Background check so don't lie they will find out EVERYTHING. Then they give you a tour of the company which is amazing btw. But I hope that this helps everyone that gets a opportunity to interview with this great company I start my training very soon and I hope to see you out there one the flight line soon. Good luck.

Interview Question – In the sim, know your VFR mins and regs. Slow down and breath and think about whats going on and take it slow.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Very nice, relaxed and not stressful at all.

Helicopter Pilot, Off-Shore Interview

Helicopter Pilot, Off-Shore
Lake Charles, LA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Era Helicopters, Llc in June 2010.

Interview Details – Communication was fast and responsive. The dates for the interview were flexible and 2 nights of lodging were arranged by Era in the Lake Charles area.

The interview process (12 or 14 people being interviewed) began late, as the conference room had not been coordinated. Once the process began, the HR representative gave a very brief overview of the company. Sadly, this overview was so informal; no useful information was disseminated to the group. It was worthless - nothing on benefits, living conditions, travel compensation, or IRA contributions. Just worthless.

After the "orientation", new-hire candidates were administered a 25-question general knowledge aviation exam, and it was explained that a score of 80% was the minimum passing score. The test wasn't difficult, but four or five individuals failed to pass the exam. Now, keep in mind, some of these pilots were vastly experienced with thousands of hours behind them. Nonetheless, they were pulled from the group and dismissed. I have to say, while I believe terminating the interview process due to a score below 80% is foolish (especially considering the wealth of experience these candidates held) , the way by which these persons were informed and dismissed was rude and unprofessional.

After the written exam, the remaining candidates were administered a hands-on performance test in a non-motion simulator. Nothing to report here, except that there was no established order in which the tests were given. Each candidate had to essentially fight and jockey for his slot in the sim.

Lunch was provided on-site, as was a drug test.

In the afternoon, the face-to-face interviews were conducted. This is where the entire process became bizarre. The an HR coordinator and mid-management individual conducted the interview. While I will give tremendous credit to the professionalism of the HR rep, the same cannot be said of the other fellow. His demeanor was arrogant, condescending, and rude. He demonstrated clearly that he did not wish to either be conducting interviews in general, or speaking to me specifically - a feeling shared and expressed to me by four of the other candidates over beers later that night. He asked ridiculous, irrelevant questions, seemingly from some general sheet of canned questions. During the interview, I had to ask myself if he was intentionally attempting to get a reaction from me, or if it was something else. I still don't know. At one point during the interview, I had to ask him if he even bothered to read my resume. His weak response made it clear to me that he had not.

This person was clearly the wrong guy to be conducting these interviews. Aside from the fact that this very young individual obviously requires training on how to improve interpersonal skills, his very lack of experience is a liability to the interview process. I suspect that the attitude I detected from this young man was, in fact, a defense mechanism caused by a self-acknowledged shallow experience base relative to aviation and corporate operations. A much better solution for Era would have been to have a senior and experienced pilot and manager conduct the interviews. This would have given credibility to a process that was otherwise comprised.

Reason for Declining – The offer was received within a week of the interview, and it was declined the same day.

While the starting pay was less than I was willing to accept, what really concerned me was the genuine feeling that I was not seen as a potential valued employee. It's hard to explain, but I felt a sort of hostility directed toward me (as did other towards them), and I was not willing to place myself at the bottom of the food chain. All in all, it was a very disappointing experience.

One last note - neither I, nor any of the individuals that interviewed with me have received the $250 travel reimbursement from the company. The interview was conducted over a month ago, and every inquiry is met with an excuse. Sometimes you really are best served by trusting your gut.

Worked for Era Helicopters, Llc? Contribute to the Community!