Erie Insurance Group Interview Questions

Updated Aug 10, 2015

2.8

Actuarial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Erie, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Erie Insurance Group (Erie, PA).

Interview

I was flown in and stayed overnight at a hotel ahead of time. The interview took most of the day, rotating from one person to another and included a group lunch at a nearby restaurant. Most of the interviewers asked excellent questions regarding prior experience and areas of knowledge. I was asked for specific examples of work I had done and where I felt I had excelled, or not. As anyone applying for this type of role should know, actuarial exams are an important part of the role. Many questions regarding work/life balance and ability to juggle priorities. One interviewer asked me about my Excel macro experience, and my SAS programming experience since it was listed on my resume. He then gave me a quick test to see if I could write a quick and easy SAS program. So far so good, I could. He then asked about specifics of how to rate a certain line of business. My most recent experience was a rotation in financial reporting and data analysis. I had brought notes from my five-years ago pricing experience in both personal lines and commercial lines, so that I could refer to them if asked about pricing specifics. The interviewer called this "cheating", and pulled my notepad out of my hand, tossing it across his desk out of my reach. My impression was that the interviewer expects candidates to have a photographic memory of all prior work.

Interview Questions

• What data would you need in order to rate commercial property insurance?   Answer Question

Claims Interview

Anonymous Employee in Erie, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Erie Insurance Group (Erie, PA) in May 2015.

Interview

Very robotic. Made you feel as if going thru the motions but already had mind made up. Questions typical for position, however did not inquire more about experience and skills.

Liability Claim Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Erie Insurance Group (Cary, NC) in April 2015.

Interview

Lengthy and invasive. It took over two months to get a response after the interview. A lot of very personal questions were asked that I didn't feel were relevant to the job.

Interview Questions

• Did I cry on the job sometimes   1 Answer

DW/BI Program Manager - Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Erie Insurance Group.

Interview

Spoke with the Program Director and three other people on a phone call. There were no true difficult questions. Perhaps what I should have asked after being told this was the third try to put in a DW/BI system was, "Has the pain of staying the same exceeded the pain of change?".

Interview Questions

• There were no true difficult questions. Perhaps what I should have asked after being told this was the third try to put in a DW/BI system was, "Has the pain of staying the same exceeded the pain of change?".   Answer Question

Negotiation

this was contract

ITInterview Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Erie Insurance Group.

Interview

I applied through their website, and they had contacted within a week and was surprised how quick they were to call me. Went through the standard interview at their office asking me basic questions such as who I was, went over my resume. It's been about 3 weeks since the interview and still haven't back as of yet.

Interview Questions

• The technical question I received were basic questions about your personality and how you think, such as a time when you didn't collaborate with another team member, and a time you worked within a team of people.   Answer Question

Medical Management Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Erie Insurance Group (Canton, OH) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online. Almost immediately after, I received a personality assessment to complete. After a day, I received a call from the hiring manager wishing to set up a onsite interview for the end of that week. At this interview, I was given a folder with their benefits offered. I was asked basic behavioral questions, asked why I was wanting to work for Erie Insurance, they asked about my background. The interview contained two people, the hiring manager and a scribe for note taking. It was a very relaxed atmosphere. I was then informed of their process and that should I be chosen there would be another interview with the claims manager for their site. I received this call approximately a week after my interview, set up the interview with the claims manager. This interview was also a very relaxed as far as an interview could be. Same questions, some were gone over in detail.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you were in a stressful situation, how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time that you encountered a difficult customer or client, how did you proceed, what was the outcome.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question
    • How did you handle a time that you were overwhelmed?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself? Upon clarification, short term goals.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Erie, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Erie Insurance Group (Erie, PA) in January 2015.

Interview

I met with 3 separate people. The interview process was slightly lengthy but the interviewers made me feel comfortable. I was asked general questions about my resume as well as questions that required stories. Examples of these questions would be talking about a time when you had to work in a group, were a leader, when things didn't go as planned, and how you overcame an obstacle.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Erie Insurance Group.

Interview

Consists of three interviews in person, sometimes conducted on the phone. These range from soft questions about fit and personality to technical questions. The technical questions aren't exactly hard, there aren't really right answers and they want to see how you think. Personally, I thought the questions didn't really accomplish that goal, but if you're smart you can probably figure out what they want you to say anyway.

Interview Questions

• "You're stranded in the woods with nothing but what you have right now when you come across a stream. How would you determine the speed of the water in that stream?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

I would pretty coy about compensation and put off discussing it until they offered something I thought was fair. I didn't really know what I was going to make until somebody sent me my acceptance letter.

Claims Adjuster Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Erie Insurance Group.

Interview

Relaxed friendly interview with a 3 person panel. There are behavior based questions but not as many as you would expect at a bigger company. Seemed like a good place to work for and they have high claims service expectations. Service standards seem to be everything at this company.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a tough claim you had to handle with an upset insured and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Actuarial Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Erie Insurance Group in October 2014.

Interview

The interview started at 9am and ended at 3pm. 6 rounds including a lunch interview with a fellow analyst. The atmosphere was very friendly and hostile. Questions are primarily behavioral.