Essence

Updated Jan 26, 2015
Updated Jan 26, 2015

3.2

International Management Analyst Interview

It was pretty good. It met my expectation.It was pretty good. It met my expectation.It was pretty good. It met my expectation.It was pretty good. It met my expectation.It was pretty good. It met my expectation.It was pretty good. It met my expectation.It was pretty good. It met my expectation.It was pretty good. It met my expectation.

Data Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Essence in October 2014.

Phone interviews with Zach. He was great! He communicates back promptly and tackles problems and hiccups professionally. We set up 2 video interviews. The team realized that they needed someone with more experience.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Essence.

An interesting interview process with multiple case studies. Be prepared to come with your calculator! Interviewers were friendly though I had some bits of conflicting information from their in-house recruiters and was left on hold for some time between interviews. Overall still a good experience and met some smart people.

Ad Operations Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Essence in April 2014.

My first communication with Essence Digital came about a week after my initial online application for this open position. I was contacted by recruiting thanking me for my interest in Essence, given a bit of background to checkout, and a link to the online math test. After completing the online test, I was again contacted (about a week later) to schedule a phone interview.

The phone interview was fairly standard and was a comfortable conversation about the position and my background. From there, I was contacted to schedule an in-person interview. After a bit of schedule juggling, I was able to go into my first of two in-person interviews. Both interviews consisted of two parts -- one part that focused on behavior and attitude while the second part was a case study testing out math and analytical business skills.

Post interviews, I was kept in the loop throughout (almost daily) the decision making process. I spoke with another Essence recruiter about my thoughts regarding the interview, team, and position. The following day, I received a call with the details of the position and an offer. All in all, a very refreshing and open interview experience.

Interview Questions
    • The case studies were an interesting aspect to the process but gave me a great insight into the type of thinking/analytical skills the position required.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Essence in April 2014.

The interview process included an aptitude test, 30 minute phone screening interview, 2 in-person interviews (that each included a case study), and one extra phone interview (that wasn't standard). The aptitude test was quite easy and involved simple math. The in-person case studies were a bit harder but was simple math and reasoning for the most part. The hardest part is the fact that you have to think on your feet without floundering, but my interviewers were very forgiving when I hesitated on a question. Overall the recruiters I spoke with and emailed were very friendly and helpful, and all the employees I interacted with were very nice. The final stages were a little delayed, but the recruiters kept me in the loop about what was going on.

Interview Questions
    • What is an example of a tough decision you had to make, and how did you go about making that decision?   Answer Question
    It was a generous offer including a bonus and other perks. I asked a couple questions but did not negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Essence in April 2014.

Interview Steps –
    1) Process first started with a phone screening interview with a recruiting coordinator in London. Basic questions, it was really meant to see how you present yourself on the phone and why you are applying to the job. Took about 30 minutes.
    2) Aptitude test: basic SAT type math (ratios, quick calculations) which took 20 minutes
    3) Two rounds of in-person interviews and case-studies at their NYC office. Both rounds were very similar. The interviews were very much behavioral in style, and can be either 2-1 or 1-1. Standard questions were asked, such as why digital media, why Essence, name a challenge/how did you cope with said challenge, talk about this experience on your resume, etc.
    The case studies were very similar in nature as well. Each took 45 minutes and were meant to test how you approach a problem and think through calculations. Basic math is required (they give you a calculator). They want to hear you ask questions and be able to work through the problems out loud.
    4) Offer, negotiation of compensation, acceptance.

Interview Questions
    • why digital media, why Essence, name a challenge/how did you cope with said challenge, talk about this experience on your resume, etc.   Answer Question
    Excellent benefits, solid salary and potential bonus.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Essence in April 2014.

I applied through an employee referral towards the end of March 2014 for the graduate rotational program in San Francisco and was shortly contacted by the SF HR office to set up a phone interview with the HR in London. When the HR gave me a time for the interview, she did not specify the time zone, even when I e-mailed to clarify. The next day I sat around waiting for the call, waking up early in case we were operating on Eastern Time (as I was based in Boston). When I did not receive a call, I assumed we were operating on PST so I waited. Still, no call. I followed up with an e-mail and was told 'Sorry for the delay!' and had my phone interview rescheduled for the following week. Once again, the time zone was not established and I had to ask again. After a series of e-mails and coordinating schedules and time zones, we finally set up a time and date for the first round interview.

The call was pleasant, very simple and straightforward. I spoke with a lady in London and was told to move forward to the second round for the online aptitude test. Normally after phone screens, the HR is supposed to follow up in regards to the next steps in the interview process. I did not hear back until I prompted the SF HR asking for the link. Per her instruction, I finished the online test within 24 hours so that we could speed up the recruitment process. The quantitative assessment included questions like those on the SAT math portion, only it was free response and took 20 minutes to complete.

Once again, after finishing with this stage of the interview process, I waited to hear back from the HR in SF. When a week passed, I e-mailed her asking for updates on my application. She stated that because the HR in London was away on vacation that no decisions could be made and that she would get back to me as soon as she returned. After another week of no updates, I followed up again. The same day I received a response from the HR in SF and she asked if I could take the online aptitude test. I replied letting her know that I had already taken the aptitude test... two weeks ago. Then I was told the same story again--that she'd get back to me.

Eventually I did receive a response and was asked whether I could be at the San Francisco office that week. As I had stated before, I was based in Boston so that complicated matters. However, in the phone interview I had with the London HR I was told that the NY office could conduct the interview. So when I told her that I would not be able to come into the SF office but could still make arrangements to go to NY, I did not receive a response. I believe there is a huge lack of communication between the London and SF offices. I followed up with her a week later and was asked if I would mind having a video call for my third round interview. As usual, I responded with a date and time, but still, no response. Ten days later, I followed up yet again and was finally given a time to interview...for the next day. Because of the time difference, I did not see the e-mail until early that morning and when I did reply to confirm the interview and provide times to reschedule if it was no longer an option, I didn't receive a response. Five days later I followed up and promptly received a response asking to set up a phone call with the HR in London.

At this point, I no longer had high hopes to partake in this program or join the Essence team. I'd been waiting for over two months now and was extremely frustrated with the recruitment process and lack of communication. When I got on the phone with the HR in London, I was un-surprised to hear that they had already filled all of the positions in the SF office with candidates who were in the process before me and that I unfortunately could not move forward. While I understand that this is common in many companies, I am disappointed with the lack of transparency and slow response rate. I do not want to make any accusations, but I can assume that the HR in SF chose to ignore my e-mails as she often responded within the hour or same day usually after my second follow-up e-mail. Had they been clear and honest with me in regards to the recruitment process, I could have spent my time much more efficiently. I understand that the job hunt is always a gamble but I did not feel respected in this interview process. Through it all, the lack of respect that I received gives me hope that my future recruitment experiences will be much more positive.

Essence Response

Jun 6, 2014Creative Recruiter

Hi there,

Thank you very much for your candid feedback. It means a lot to us and we certainly take it on board to help ensure things like this do not happen again.

We are very sorry that you
    ... More

Challenging But Rewarding Process Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Essence.

I was initially contacted by a recruiter via linkedin, following which there was a 30 minute screening phone call. Thereafter, I interviewed in the New York office on 3 separate dates. The first time, I had a behavior interview followed by a more situational interview that covered questions more specific to my role (what would you do if... tell me a time when...) conducted by mid-senior level staff. The second time I came in, I was supposed to have another behavioral and a case study, but ended up having two behavioral interviews with leadership. I'm not sure why the case wasn't administered, I figured I'd eluded the case until they called me back for a final round to do a 30 minute analytical case study. I was not thrilled to leave work a third time in 3 weeks (how many doctors appointments can one feign?) and I was nervous about the content it would cover, but the case was very manageable. Each question had a correct answer, so it was more direct than interviews I've done for other positions where there may be many different accepted responses.

Interview Questions
    • What's my favorite website (I guess this shouldn't have been unexpected), and the case study itself (more the anticipation than the actual content).   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate my offer slightly, though not to the number I'd initially stated I wanted earlier in the hiring process.

Media Planner/Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Essence.

The interview process is very thorough and extremely well managed. You start with an online aptitude test that is pretty straightforward. If you pass that you are invited to an in-person behavioral interview and business case study. The last portion is a media interview and media case study (for media planning position). I was impressed by the many steps required to get an offer because it truly shows that they are invested in finding the right people and hence shows that you end up working with the best of the best.

The recruiter was very friendly and professional. She was really great about communicating the different steps of the process and kept me updated on how everything was going. Other companies I have interviewed at haven't even gotten back to me even though I followed up a couple of times. At Essence, I was constantly kept in the loop of everything and the process was very organized overall.

Everyone I met for the interviews was smart, knowledgeable, and personable. They asked the right questions yet kept the conversations informal and interesting. The Essence office is also very nice with beautiful views of Manhattan. There seems to be a really fun culture overall, there are ping-pong and fuss-ball tables which is pretty cool.

Overall I had a really great experience interviewing with Essence and it is really telling of the type of company Essence is.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were very basic. I think the business case study was the toughest part just because I wasn't sure what to expect but it was manageable. Bring a calculator.   Answer Question

I chose to go for a different role at my current agency

Media Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Essence in January 2014.

The process started with a call from the recruiter. I wasn't looking for a new role, but she contacted me directly, was very informative, and talked a lot about the culture at Essence. I passed a math test (basic SAT math) and then came in for 2 rounds of interviews. The process is quite rigorous as there is a regular interview and then a case study in each round. The case studies are pretty tough, and focus on strategy, mathematics and critical thinking. The recruiter mentioned that because Essence works with tech clients like Google, case studies are a good way to showcase my skills and abilities, like a real client strategy session. It went pretty smoothly and I enjoyed meeting everyone at Essence. I believe that I aligned well culturally with Essence as well as my analytical nature. It's an open environment, and everyone looked happy working there. I got a tour and saw employees playing foosball, ping pong and I think there was a movie playing in one of the conference rooms. Positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • What are the challenges in today's digital media climate?   View Answer
    The offer was a good amount higher than what I expected. I did not negotiate as there was a bonus as well on top of the salary, a matching 401k and free healthcare.