Ethan Allen

Average Difficulty
17 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Design Consultant

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ethan Allen.

Interview Details – I'm not sure if the interview process varies by store/region, but I will tell you how mine went. I applied on a weekday afternoon and received a call from the design center manager within a few hours. I went in for Interview #1, which was a normal one-on-one interview with the store manager. She called me back for Interview #2 within a few days. During that 2nd interview, I had to take a DESIGN TEST. She also talked to me about the importance of personal style and fashion and gave me the instructions for my drug test. I was then called in a 3rd and final time so they could offer me the position and talk specifics in person. That day, I was told I had to purchase a certain fashion book, read it, and then buy an entirely new wardrobe so I would have "the look" they want to portray. (My clothes were professional, modest and fashionable to begin with... but what I gathered was they wanted me to wear gawdy jewelry, bulky scarves, fake nails, boots, designer handbags, etc.)

******(Interview #2) There is always a design test. Sometimes it's done on the same day as Interview #1. They will give you some graph paper and a little info packet about a fake client-- their room dimensions, lifestyle, budget and what they're hoping to accomplish. They then give you up to 2 hours to draw the room, lay out the furniture, select furniture, customize furniture, sketch up custom window treatments and pillows, select accessories and lighting and present this project to some of the designers (who pretend to be the clients) so they can see your design and selling skills. They will pick you apart. They want to see how you handle criticism.

Interview Question – The design test was very stresful! I was asked questions about my sales skills more than anything else. The showroom manager who hired me had never heard of IDS or the CQRID exam...   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Manager: "We are prepared to pay you $30,000 draw against commission. We do not negotiate. If you want to earn more, sell more."

Client Service Specialist Interview

Client Service Specialist
Scranton, PA

I applied online - interviewed at Ethan Allen in June 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for position on line.. and was interviewed within days and offered and accepted the position also within days,. I have been employed a year now and am very satisfied

Interview Question – all questions were job specific   Answer Question

Interior Designer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Ethan Allen.

Interview Details – Initial interview, return to complete a design exercise and speak with the District Manager, if available. A phone interview may be completed with the District otherwise. You then wait until a call is scheduled with the CEO of the company for final approval. The entire process can take up to 4 weeks.

Interview Question – Describe a situation with a difficult client and how you were able to turn things around and close the sale.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Pay is commission based, so negotiation is not necessary.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interior Designer

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ethan Allen.

Interview Details – Involved one phone interview w/district manager. If approved, then a formal interview follows w/store manager. Upon his/her approval, you are asked to present a design board w/manager and all other design staff present for critiquing, before final decision is made. The entire process was fairly quick, management was very nice.

Interview Question – It is company policy to work Saturday & Sunday, w/one possible wk end day off per month, do you foresee that as being a problem?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The base pay was low, and the structure of commission seemed to set up an uncomfortable and highly competitive environment.

Design Consultant

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Ethan Allen.

Interview Details – Phone interview, 1:1 interview with store manager, skill interview

Meet with Manager, District Manager and then a 3 hour design exercise

You need to enjoy design, have a great sense of fabric and pattern combinations, know correct industry standards for space planning, and be very comfortable with meeting a variety of personality types.

Multi-tasking is critical in this job! Reference examples of how you can transition from detailed design work to quickly popping onto the sales floor to welcome and engage a new client.

Interview Question – You take a 3 hour design exercise to see how you would handle a client design. You create a floor plan using EA software, select product and fabrics and then present the room to the hiring managers.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiate your base salary. This is an important step. Ask for more than you want. You do not earn commission every month, so you may need to rely on your base salary some times throughout the year. Most base salaries start at 30-35k, but can go up to 45-50k if you have a strong record of high sales.

Design Consultant

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Ethan Allen.

Interview Details – I went to Ethan Allen's website and filled out an extensive application. A few days later I got an email response asking me to come in and fill out a hard copy application (Which was a waste of time because it was the exact same information I provided on the computer). Then I received a phone call asking me to come in for an interview and test. The manager was very kind, as were all the employees. The test took a few hours, asking me to design a living room for a fake family. Everything went smoothly. However the interview process is very long. Over a week later, I was still waiting for the VP's approval from another state. Then I had to wait for drug test clearance. I was seeking work right away and did not start my position until over a month after applying.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult. The test took longer then I expected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Work on commission.

Manchester, CT

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Ethan Allen in June 2009.

Interview Details – This was the most arduous process I've ever undertaken. First, phone interview with center manager. Then, in person interview followed by 3 hour design test, followed by review of test by manager and district manager. I also was interviewed by regional manager and one other design center manager on the same day. Then the prospective employee must pass the CEOs approval. Only the did I get the offer of employment.

Interview Question – No difficult questions. Just a difficult design test!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.all design consultants work on draw off commission. All weekends and holidays you must report for work.

Design Consultant

I applied online and interviewed at Ethan Allen.

Interview Details – First interview with Design Center Manager and Project Manager. Basic questions also given design test: Design floor plan, select furniture, fabric, rugs, etc for a fake family. Second interview with Design Center Manager and Regional Manager. Easy interviews. Lots of paperwork to fill out.

Negotiation Details – None, you take what they offer you. Anyways, it is a commission based environment.

Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I applied in-person - interviewed at Ethan Allen in July 2009.

Interview Details – You will meet with the design center manager and will be asked a series of questions. The next step in the process is doing a design test and presenting it to a group of three people. The design test takes about two hours.

Interview Question – Define success in Design and explain how you are going to achieve it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiating they tell you a base draw and you can take it or leave it.

Brick, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Ethan Allen in July 2009.

Interview Details – It is not an easy position to get, several interviews and presentations to get approved, the process took me almost 3 months from my first interview to begin training.

Interview Question – Doing a complete design presentation when unfamiliar with the design center was the most challenging part, but they were helpful   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation, you take the job at hand.

Worked for Ethan Allen? Contribute to the Community!