Ethan Allen

Updated Oct 27, 2014
Updated Oct 27, 2014

3.2

Design Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Ethan Allen.

Very intensive interview process. First interview with gallery manager lasted 2 hours, I was then invited back for a design challenge/test. The design test encompassed creating a to-scale layout for a fictitious client, selecting furnishings and fabrics and corresponding budget. I then presented the design plan to the store manager as if she were the client. I found the entire process fun and easy (but I am very comfortable with providing scaled layouts and selecting furnishings/fabrics). The only downside is the amount of time it takes to go through the interviewing process. After passing the design challenge with flying colors, a meeting has to be scheduled with district manager, then the president of the company has to approve the candidate. District manager's are very busy, my design challenge was three weeks ago and the DM has been unavailable to meet with me (even though the store manager wants to hire me).

Interview Questions
    • My biggest issue in dealing with retail customers.   View Answer

Interior Designer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Ethan Allen.

They were very accomodating with my schedule, friendly and helpful. I was told to come again for the day to do a mock up design plan. I finished that in 2-3 hrs.

Design Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ethan Allen.

I'm not sure if the interview process varies by store/region, but I will tell you how mine went. I applied on a weekday afternoon and received a call from the design center manager within a few hours. I went in for Interview #1, which was a normal one-on-one interview with the store manager. She called me back for Interview #2 within a few days. During that 2nd interview, I had to take a DESIGN TEST. She also talked to me about the importance of personal style and fashion and gave me the instructions for my drug test. I was then called in a 3rd and final time so they could offer me the position and talk specifics in person. That day, I was told I had to purchase a certain fashion book, read it, and then buy an entirely new wardrobe so I would have "the look" they want to portray. (My clothes were professional, modest and fashionable to begin with... but what I gathered was they wanted me to wear gawdy jewelry, bulky scarves, fake nails, boots, designer handbags, etc.)

******(Interview #2) There is always a design test. Sometimes it's done on the same day as Interview #1. They will give you some graph paper and a little info packet about a fake client-- their room dimensions, lifestyle, budget and what they're hoping to accomplish. They then give you up to 2 hours to draw the room, lay out the furniture, select furniture, customize furniture, sketch up custom window treatments and pillows, select accessories and lighting and present this project to some of the designers (who pretend to be the clients) so they can see your design and selling skills. They will pick you apart. They want to see how you handle criticism.

Interview Questions
    • The design test was very stresful! I was asked questions about my sales skills more than anything else. The showroom manager who hired me had never heard of IDS or the CQRID exam...   Answer Question
    Manager: "We are prepared to pay you $30,000 draw against commission. We do not negotiate. If you want to earn more, sell more."

Interior Designer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ethan Allen.

Initial interview, return to complete a design exercise and speak with the District Manager, if available. A phone interview may be completed with the District otherwise. You then wait until a call is scheduled with the CEO of the company for final approval. The entire process can take up to 4 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation with a difficult client and how you were able to turn things around and close the sale.   View Answer
    Pay is commission based, so negotiation is not necessary.

Interior Designer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ethan Allen.

Involved one phone interview w/district manager. If approved, then a formal interview follows w/store manager. Upon his/her approval, you are asked to present a design board w/manager and all other design staff present for critiquing, before final decision is made. The entire process was fairly quick, management was very nice.

Interview Questions
    • It is company policy to work Saturday & Sunday, w/one possible wk end day off per month, do you foresee that as being a problem?   Answer Question

The base pay was low, and the structure of commission seemed to set up an uncomfortable and highly competitive environment.

Design Consultant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Ethan Allen.

Phone interview, 1:1 interview with store manager, skill interview

Meet with Manager, District Manager and then a 3 hour design exercise

You need to enjoy design, have a great sense of fabric and pattern combinations, know correct industry standards for space planning, and be very comfortable with meeting a variety of personality types.

Multi-tasking is critical in this job! Reference examples of how you can transition from detailed design work to quickly popping onto the sales floor to welcome and engage a new client.

Interview Questions
    • You take a 3 hour design exercise to see how you would handle a client design. You create a floor plan using EA software, select product and fabrics and then present the room to the hiring managers.   View Answer
    Negotiate your base salary. This is an important step. Ask for more than you want. You do not earn commission every month, so you may need to rely on your base salary some times throughout the year. Most base salaries start at 30-35k, but can go up to 45-50k if you have a strong record of high sales.

Design Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ethan Allen.

I went to Ethan Allen's website and filled out an extensive application. A few days later I got an email response asking me to come in and fill out a hard copy application (Which was a waste of time because it was the exact same information I provided on the computer). Then I received a phone call asking me to come in for an interview and test. The manager was very kind, as were all the employees. The test took a few hours, asking me to design a living room for a fake family. Everything went smoothly. However the interview process is very long. Over a week later, I was still waiting for the VP's approval from another state. Then I had to wait for drug test clearance. I was seeking work right away and did not start my position until over a month after applying.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. The test took longer then I expected.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Work on commission.

Design Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Ethan Allen.

First interview with Design Center Manager and Project Manager. Basic questions also given design test: Design floor plan, select furniture, fabric, rugs, etc for a fake family. Second interview with Design Center Manager and Regional Manager. Easy interviews. Lots of paperwork to fill out.

None, you take what they offer you. Anyways, it is a commission based environment.

Client Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scranton, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scranton, PA

I applied online – interviewed at Ethan Allen in June 2013.

I applied for position on line.. and was interviewed within days and offered and accepted the position also within days,. I have been employed a year now and am very satisfied

Interior Designer Assistant Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Ethan Allen.

The interview was straight forward. My interviewer asked me what i was interested in, waht inspires me, and then asked me to explain my resume.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not hard, they were all typical questions and the interviewer was very friendly and helpful,   Answer Question
    N/A just discussed my schedule and flexibility.