Ethos Group

Getting the Interview

12 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Business/Finance Manager

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Ethos Group.

Interview Details – Being contacted by Ethos Group more than likely means you've been positively referred or recruited on-campus. You must participate in several interviews with an Ethos Representative in addition to an in-store interview with the dealership's upper-management before being selected. To be considered you must exhibit a passion for building relationships, reaching defined goals, and working hard.

Interview Question – Ethos places an extreme importance on personal initiative and you will be asked to explain what it means to you. Also, setting and monitoring goals is a must, so defining your goals with great depth will be advantageous.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Ethos Group

Interview Details – I was interviewed as a Mock interviewee through my college. Interview was pretty in depth, gets down to really personal questions and your personal background and how it led you to where you are in your life.

Interview Question – What are your weaknesses?   View Answer

Business/Finance Manager

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Ethos Group in January 2014.

Interview Details – Interview was with Chris. He was very personable and easy to talk with. We discussed the role, the expectations, and the ideal candidate skills/personality traits. Throughout the discussion, we talked about how their candidates succeed and the monetary benefits. The role however, is basically to work for dealerships and upsell warranties on vehicles. If this is something that you see yourself doing, you should pursue and interview. If not, look for another route.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Business/Finance Manager

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Ethos Group in February 2013.

Interview Details – Only have been to one interview so far, but it is very personal and gets below the surface. They really want to see what kind of person you are beyond what classes you have taken in college. What work experience and personal life experience you may have that can help the growth of their company

Interview Question – When did you take it upon yourself to accomplish something that you did not have to do?   Answer Question

Manhattan, KS

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Ethos Group in March 2012.

Interview Details – Multi-step interview process. Interview #1 is a get to know you and who you are and what shaped you as a person.. Interview #2 Discuss the Message to Garcia. Interview #3 Discuss Goals and career path in the dealership. Interview #4 They clarified expectations of the position. Interview #5 with the owner.

Interview Question – Explain a time when took the initiative to get something done even though you were not expected to do so..   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Ethos Group in January 2011.

Interview Details – Ethos just weeds out the morons. You don't get the real interview until it has been decided that you are not a moron. Then Ethos takes you to the dealer and you have a real interview with the people that could become your coworkers. The dealer will do the background check, drug screen, and probably have a vote if they think you will make a good fit.

Ethos will give you maybe five interviews.
1) Tell us about yourself interview AKA guy will ask you a broad question and give you all the rope in the world to hang yourself. Just tell them about your education and about your work experience and that you like people, like working long hours, want to be paid what you produce. You want to make boat loads of cash and want to work hard. You don't mind moving around if they want you to move, and you plan on owning a car dealership or becoming a GM of a dealer at some point.
2) A Message to Garcia is an interesting story about a guy that does not suck - Captain Rowan.. Hubbard writes this story to show his contempt for the average man, whom in his eyes is incapable of managing even himself. The story is about how Rowan can accomplish anything, with little instruction. This story is, I hate to say it, a great analogy for the job ahead. You will be asked to get some things done, and you will have to "find ways" of "getting things done" without the proper direction of other members of management. The entire interview is about this story, from word one until the door closes behind you.
3) Situational interview, what would you do if ___________ (you fill in the blank). And kind of a soft interview feeling for your personality. More of the tell me about yourself, looking for trip ups and nervousness. When you sell products to strangers on the daily you cannot be afraid of who sits in front of you and this is what they are trying to sniff out. When asked what I wanted out of work I replied "money." When the interviewer asked me if that was all I cared about I replied "that is why we go to work, right? because we need to make money. if I didn't need to make money I wouldn't go to work, would you?" He laughed and moved right along.
4) Interview is more serious about you commitment level within the auto industry. You are basically going to be a glorified car salesperson, does this bother you? How do you like selling insurance every day? How do you like working 80 hours a week, with car salesmen, and on the side of a highway somewhere? How do you like working every Saturday, because that is where you will be for the rest of your time in the auto industry every Saturday. Welcome aboard.... We have a dealer we would like you to meet : )
5) Before you get taken to the dealer, meet us for one last interview. This is the show me where your buttons are so I can press them interview. This job involves STRESS, so I hope you can take a lot in this interview. There was some brief screaming at one point in my last interview before I met the dealer, asking about how in world I could think that I could handle this job, without ever have doing something like this before??? What makes me think I can actually do this job?? what makes them believe I can handle the stress? Why on EARTH anyone would want this AWFUL job is the question, and you better have a good answer because they know by now that you have done your research and they don't want anymore BS....

Dealer interview: good ole boy interview, meet the crew, tell us about you personally and make us laugh because this job is awful and we need someone around that will do what we need them to do without making our lives more stressful.. Don't get in our way, be invisible, but do everything we need you to do with a smile on your face. You got the job!

Interview Question – What did you think about A Message to Garcia?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Know your value, if you have not done the job before it is a big fat 0.

Lexington, KY

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Ethos Group in December 2010.

Interview Details – They tell you a bunch of lies and you get excited because what they're saying sounds too good to be true but they are salesmen and have made a living selling their entire lives so you buy it. They are selling you the "job". Don't fall for it.

Interview Question – Some crap about a book with a guy named "Garcia"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There basically is no negotiation phase. You are at the mercy of the dealership once you have accepted the job. The Ethos Rep has almsot no say over what happens to you or where you end up. They are simply recruiting for the dealerships nothing more nothing less. They do not train they do not offer advice.

Account Manager Interview

Detroit, MI

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Ethos Group in March 2010.

Interview Details – When I arrived at the career services building i was unsure of what to expect. A classmate of mine was siting at the table waiting to interview with Ethos group, the same company I was interviewing with. We talked a while then the interviewer, Chris Hohmann, came out and called my classmate into the room. I waited outside for maybe 15 minutes and then my classmate exited the room and Mr. Hohmann called me in. I was a little worried because he had dismissed the other kid so quickly so i made sure to give a good hand shake and make small talk while we went to the room. He started talking about general things on my resume and asked me to summarize my life accomplishments up until now. He then asked about my family history. Next he asked about a general description of attitude and i responded discussing things such as competitive nature, ambition, and an affinity for teamwork situations. I used things on my resume to enforce these ideas that i was talking about. For the majority of the time we talked about the functions of the job and many sports metaphors were used. Overall the interview went very well and he seemed like a nice straight forward individual. After the interview I had to email a lady and she sent me some assignments to complete prior to my second interview. I had to complete a survey which listed personality characteristics and asked me to select the ones that i thought other expected me to fulfill and then fill out the same list with those that i believe i fulfill. I also had to read an essay called "a message to garcia" and i was told to be ready to discuss this in the interview. So far this is as far as i have gotten in the interview process, but the company seems legitimate and all people i have communicated with were friendly and helpful.

Interview Question – Describe your most significant accomplishments throughout your life?   View Answer

Business/Finance Manager

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Ethos Group in November 2011.

Interview Details – I discovered Ethos Group through my University's job fair. Their representatives were very friendly and told me they would be back in a few weeks to conduct on-campus interviews. I proceeded to have 3 1-1 interviews on-campus that were fairly odd. One of the interviews was completely useless due to my interviewer's lack of direction.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – The bizarre corporate culture of the company

Sales Manager Interview

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Ethos Group in February 2011.

Interview Details – three total interviews, all one on one at a campus recruiting center. First interview was a "get to know you" interview, very casual discussing points on resume and job responsibilities. second interview was more in depth about 2 weeks later which consisted of a more in depth job discussion and how you would deal with situations in the work place. Third interview consisted on going over personal and professional goals to decide if I was a right fit for the position.

Interview Question – Tell me about a situation where you had to overcome adversity?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Ethos Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ethos Group interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by Ethos Group employees and interview candidates.