Etsy Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Etsy.

Interview

4 step process. 3 separate phone interviews. 3 hour in person interview which included an assignment on analyzing budget versus actuals. Team was very friendly. Throughout the process there were a lot of questions to test your knowledge of accounting and finance.

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Etsy.

Interview

Insultingly long an arduous for the roles. If you can not assess the skill of a creative through portfolio and discussion you are doing it wrong. Overly aggressive, challenging, combative, with a complete lack of humility. Also lacking a thorough description of the design process, activities, and the role of the designer in the organization. Don't qssume everyone wants to work there. Tell us why you think we would be a good fit. Sell us just as hard as we are supposed to sell you.

Interview Questions

• the basic stuff but with a tone that was very "prove to me you are good enough" the questions weren't difficult or inappropriate just the complete lack of humility was totally odd.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Etsy.

Interview

I had a 30-minute phone interview with a recruiter, then (a few days later) a video chat with one member of the team, which was followed a week later with a series of interviews (1:1, 2:1) in the DUMBO office. About two weeks later I heard back that they had decided not to hire for the position.

The good: Etsy seems like a great company and definitely has an energetic, fun atmosphere that everyone seems to love. Plus, it's an app / site that a lot of the applicants are likely to enjoy and use themselves. And the people all seem to genuinely care about the company and its future success. Based even on my (very) limited experience in Etsy-land, it seemed to me that everyone is anxiously waiting for this thing to go public so they can exercise their stock options. I don't know if they think it's going to be the next Facebook, but... they definitely think it's the next Ebay (there's a little bit of an impending --slightly smug?-- atmosphere of great expectation that was hard to ignore). And a bit of anxiousness about it, too, maybe. But that's good! Who wouldn't want to work at a company that's poised for success? C'mon. That's why I applied.

The ok: the people seemed... Good. Likeable, certainly. But... I could tell I was auditioning for club membership versus applying for a job. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but... this was all about whether they liked me, not whether they liked what I could do for them (which, again, is sorta the purpose of the interview). Most of the questions focused on me, my life, and what I didn't like at my current job (which was a little uncomfortable to discuss); there was surprisingly little discussion of the job for which I had applied (which I will discuss further in a minute). I had to steer the conversation toward what I could do for them, what I could do with the job (which was difficult for reasons I will discuss momentarily). Some of the questions were a little personal, in a chatty sort of way, and I wound up revealing more about my personal life than I expected to (which happens during interviews, but sometimes I wish it didn't). So be prepared to make friends; these people want to be your friends. Which (again) is fine; I was just expecting more of a... business-like interview. In reality it was a little speed-date-y.

The bad(?)... More like the "ehhh, I'm ok with not getting the job:" They clearly had no idea what they wanted this role to be. Different people on the same team had very different ideas of what the job was to entail, so the interviews were a bit disjointed. I honestly doubt I could have asked for and received three consistent details from the team of interviewers about what this job would have been, what the duties were to be, or how it would function within the team. I tried to discuss how my current duties and skills would transfer well to Etsy, but with very little feedback from the team about what I would actually be working on or doing for them, the conversations were pretty nebulous. Without sounding like an idiot, I kept trying to ask them "What would I actually do?" or "Why does your idea of the job conflict with his?" But after a few half-answers, it became clear that it was up to me to define a new and unknown role to them without any real knowledge of their internal operations. Despite my enthusiasm for the company, I couldn't describe what I would do for them (outside of restating my skill-set) without knowing better what they wanted from me. And some of the people I spoke with had just been hired themselves and simply could not answer my questions about the company or the job (lots of "I'm not sure; I'll have to get back to you" answers). Interviews with other people within the company (people who were not on the immediate team) revealed to me the frustrations they felt trying to bring regularity and reliability to a creative start-up becoming a corporation that was still stuck in its start-up-iness despite a growing global workforce and an imminent (and hopeful) boom. It seems there's a lot of work to be done, a lot of clean-up and polishing in preparation for an IPO, and while it could have been exciting to be a part of that, I'm ok if I'm not the one who has to ease this team through their growing pains. But I wish them well.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Etsy (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Initial phone call where you will work on a coding problem, talk about yourself, the job description and some technical questions. You can pick whatever language you want. From there you will be given a homework problem that is a fairly simple task and they tell you that it shouldn't take more than a few hours - and it doesn't. Oddly enough I completed the task, tested, documented, talked about different trade-offs in how it could have been done and offered to change anything if there was something they wanted to see. I was under the impression that this was a basic assignment to weed out people that would not be able to do standard things - use a hash table, regular expressions, etc. Apparently I was wrong because I almost immediately received "Thanks but we will not be moving forward." Of course when you ask what it was you did wrong (or rather what it was they didn't like you'll get no response.) In the end I find a company that dismisses you over some minutia of a "hello world" type programming problem - is probably one that you do not want to work for. If they felt something was missing I think it would have been fair to let me explain maybe why I chose to omit some thing - whatever that could have possibly been.

Interview Questions

• Write code to compute fibonacci numbers. Iteratively and recursively. Then discuss the pros and cons of each.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Etsy (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

The whole process took a month. I applied online and had a phone interview scheduled in a few days. Then I was invited to interview with 4 team members over Skype about a week later. After the Skype interviews, I was asked to submit a video as the final step.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Etsy.

Interview

First I was sent an email asking me to describe my technical experience, successes, failures, interests, availability, and a few technical questions. Then I had a phone technical interview where I was asked a lot of general technical questions (describe how the internet works... describe agile programming practices) then a few coding questions.
    I was asked to come on site the following week. They said they were on a tight schedule and wanted all on site interviews done in the next week. Because I'm not from New York this took some planning, however the recruiter(s) didn't respond until the day before the interview... So I skipped school, jumped on to New York, taxied to Brooklyn, interviewed, and immediately came all the way back (4-5 hour trip each way).
    There were four interviews. The first woman didn't really have any questions for me. She asked what teams (from a list) I would be most interested in, and I told her and explained why. Then she just kind of sat there spinning in her chair, looking at the ground, checking the time on her phone. I started asking her questions because I had no idea what she wanted, but she was really shy so it was very difficult to click. She clearly didn't want to be interviewing.
    Then the next two interviewers asked me coding/whiteboard questions. Neither interview was tricky for me, but I enjoyed them a lot. I certainly answered everything correctly and got positive responses from both men. The fourth and last interview was also non technical and about what teams might be right for me. I really liked the guy and we talked the entire hour about Etsy, the industry, what to look for in entry jobs, etc. He said I would be a great fit there, and overall it seemed like a good day.
    After the interviews, the recruiter gave me a tour of the place and then promised to email me the following Wednesday. He said if I hadn't heard by then to email him.
    Well Wednesday came and went. Friday came and went and I sent the recruiter an email. Then another week passed. I emailed the scheduling recruiter as well to see what was up.... no responses from anyone I emailed. Over a month went by before I finally got an email from the recruiter saying that they just couldn't decide who to hire. They had a lot of good candidates and not enough positions, so they needed more time to choose fairly (what happened to their strict timeline?). He said he'd have an answer in a week.
    Well that was two months ago and I still haven't gotten a response. I missed school to interview with them, spent 8+ hours traveling to be there... and I never even got an email.
    I've never done an on site interview with a company and not at least gotten a phone call, whether the news was good or bad. I'm kind of stunned that Etsy handles their applicants this way. A simple "thanks for applying but..." email goes a long way.

Interview Questions

• There were some tricky general questions in the phone interview about distributed processing.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Etsy (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

first a phone interview, then four hours of 30 minute interviews. I was first called by an engineer and asked about projects I had worked on. It was great! He gave me good ideas, plus he was super nice and non threatening. I was then asked to go to NY to interview with some people I would be working with . Some of the questions were difficult but the team was really nice about any questions I had. The interviews just made me want to work here more!!!! I LOVE ETSY

Interview Questions

• phone interview was questions about previous projects I had worked on   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Etsy.

Interview

Process was easy applied online got a reply in 10 days
    Received email asking for details of availability for interview. General HR questions including strengths and weaknesses and achievements.
    Still Awaiting reply after two weeks

Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Etsy.

Interview

Applied on the Etsy website. Heard back from HR and went through a series of telephone screens followed by a day of in person interviews in their office. Didn't advance and got standard computer generated form email with no details or feedback. HR was very professional and helpful until the last impersonal communication.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions about experience, background and skills. Discussed my interest in Etsy.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Etsy (Brooklyn, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

Applied online via their website. Was contacted the next day by a recruiter setting up a preliminary phone screen. A week later I spoke with an Engineering Manager for roughly ~30 minutes about my experience, why Etsy, etc... Nothing technical. The conversation was brief and easy.

Then made it to the next round where I was invited for a day of interviews in their NY office. Unfortunately, I could not travel to Brooklyn due to distance. The recruiter said this was fine and scheduled 4 back-to-back Skype interviews, all with different team members. The first Skype interview lasted about 55 minutes and was merely culture-fit. We discussed technical challenges, life at Etsy, again, my experience, etc... About a week later I had the remaining 3 interviews back-to-back. The first two were technical, and lasted about 30 minutes. I was asked basic coding the questions, the first one being the easiest. The second interview was quite difficult and the interviewer didn't really say much/provide me with any guidance when I got stuck. The last interview was a 30 minute "walk-through" my resume, where an engineer asked me specific details about past internships and projects I've worked on.

Interview Questions

• How do you test your code?   Answer Question
    • What are the different ways to traverse a binary tree?   Answer Question
    • Implement a preOrder traversal method. Now do it non-recursively.   Answer Question
    • Implement an integer roman-numeral converter with respect to rules (provided with them).   Answer Question