Etsy

Etsy Interview Questions

Updated Feb 23, 2015
Updated Feb 23, 2015

Operations Interview Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Etsy.

I had a 30-minute phone interview with a recruiter, then (a few days later) a video chat with one member of the team, which was followed a week later with a series of interviews (1:1, 2:1) in the DUMBO office. About two weeks later I heard back that they had decided not to hire for the position.

The good: Etsy seems like a great company and definitely has an energetic, fun atmosphere that everyone seems to love. Plus, it's an app / site that a lot of the applicants are likely to enjoy and use themselves. And the people all seem to genuinely care about the company and its future success. Based even on my (very) limited experience in Etsy-land, it seemed to me that everyone is anxiously waiting for this thing to go public so they can exercise their stock options. I don't know if they think it's going to be the next Facebook, but... they definitely think it's the next Ebay (there's a little bit of an impending --slightly smug?-- atmosphere of great expectation that was hard to ignore). And a bit of anxiousness about it, too, maybe. But that's good! Who wouldn't want to work at a company that's poised for success? C'mon. That's why I applied.

The ok: the people seemed... Good. Likeable, certainly. But... I could tell I was auditioning for club membership versus applying for a job. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but... this was all about whether they liked me, not whether they liked what I could do for them (which, again, is sorta the purpose of the interview). Most of the questions focused on me, my life, and what I didn't like at my current job (which was a little uncomfortable to discuss); there was surprisingly little discussion of the job for which I had applied (which I will discuss further in a minute). I had to steer the conversation toward what I could do for them, what I could do with the job (which was difficult for reasons I will discuss momentarily). Some of the questions were a little personal, in a chatty sort of way, and I wound up revealing more about my personal life than I expected to (which happens during interviews, but sometimes I wish it didn't). So be prepared to make friends; these people want to be your friends. Which (again) is fine; I was just expecting more of a... business-like interview. In reality it was a little speed-date-y.

The bad(?)... More like the "ehhh, I'm ok with not getting the job:" They clearly had no idea what they wanted this role to be. Different people on the same team had very different ideas of what the job was to entail, so the interviews were a bit disjointed. I honestly doubt I could have asked for and received three consistent details from the team of interviewers about what this job would have been, what the duties were to be, or how it would function within the team. I tried to discuss how my current duties and skills would transfer well to Etsy, but with very little feedback from the team about what I would actually be working on or doing for them, the conversations were pretty nebulous. Without sounding like an idiot, I kept trying to ask them "What would I actually do?" or "Why does your idea of the job conflict with his?" But after a few half-answers, it became clear that it was up to me to define a new and unknown role to them without any real knowledge of their internal operations. Despite my enthusiasm for the company, I couldn't describe what I would do for them (outside of restating my skill-set) without knowing better what they wanted from me. And some of the people I spoke with had just been hired themselves and simply could not answer my questions about the company or the job (lots of "I'm not sure; I'll have to get back to you" answers). Interviews with other people within the company (people who were not on the immediate team) revealed to me the frustrations they felt trying to bring regularity and reliability to a creative start-up becoming a corporation that was still stuck in its start-up-iness despite a growing global workforce and an imminent (and hopeful) boom. It seems there's a lot of work to be done, a lot of clean-up and polishing in preparation for an IPO, and while it could have been exciting to be a part of that, I'm ok if I'm not the one who has to ease this team through their growing pains. But I wish them well.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Etsy.

First I was sent an email asking me to describe my technical experience, successes, failures, interests, availability, and a few technical questions. Then I had a phone technical interview where I was asked a lot of general technical questions (describe how the internet works... describe agile programming practices) then a few coding questions.
    I was asked to come on site the following week. They said they were on a tight schedule and wanted all on site interviews done in the next week. Because I'm not from New York this took some planning, however the recruiter(s) didn't respond until the day before the interview... So I skipped school, jumped on to New York, taxied to Brooklyn, interviewed, and immediately came all the way back (4-5 hour trip each way).
    There were four interviews. The first woman didn't really have any questions for me. She asked what teams (from a list) I would be most interested in, and I told her and explained why. Then she just kind of sat there spinning in her chair, looking at the ground, checking the time on her phone. I started asking her questions because I had no idea what she wanted, but she was really shy so it was very difficult to click. She clearly didn't want to be interviewing.
    Then the next two interviewers asked me coding/whiteboard questions. Neither interview was tricky for me, but I enjoyed them a lot. I certainly answered everything correctly and got positive responses from both men. The fourth and last interview was also non technical and about what teams might be right for me. I really liked the guy and we talked the entire hour about Etsy, the industry, what to look for in entry jobs, etc. He said I would be a great fit there, and overall it seemed like a good day.
    After the interviews, the recruiter gave me a tour of the place and then promised to email me the following Wednesday. He said if I hadn't heard by then to email him.
    Well Wednesday came and went. Friday came and went and I sent the recruiter an email. Then another week passed. I emailed the scheduling recruiter as well to see what was up.... no responses from anyone I emailed. Over a month went by before I finally got an email from the recruiter saying that they just couldn't decide who to hire. They had a lot of good candidates and not enough positions, so they needed more time to choose fairly (what happened to their strict timeline?). He said he'd have an answer in a week.
    Well that was two months ago and I still haven't gotten a response. I missed school to interview with them, spent 8+ hours traveling to be there... and I never even got an email.
    I've never done an on site interview with a company and not at least gotten a phone call, whether the news was good or bad. I'm kind of stunned that Etsy handles their applicants this way. A simple "thanks for applying but..." email goes a long way.

Interview Questions
    • There were some tricky general questions in the phone interview about distributed processing.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Etsy in February 2015.

first a phone interview, then four hours of 30 minute interviews. I was first called by an engineer and asked about projects I had worked on. It was great! He gave me good ideas, plus he was super nice and non threatening. I was then asked to go to NY to interview with some people I would be working with . Some of the questions were difficult but the team was really nice about any questions I had. The interviews just made me want to work here more!!!! I LOVE ETSY

Interview Questions
    • phone interview was questions about previous projects I had worked on   Answer Question

Software EngineeringSummer 2015 (Brooklyn) Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Etsy.

Process was easy applied online got a reply in 10 days
    Received email asking for details of availability for interview. General HR questions including strengths and weaknesses and achievements.
    Still Awaiting reply after two weeks

Operations Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Etsy.

Applied on the Etsy website. Heard back from HR and went through a series of telephone screens followed by a day of in person interviews in their office. Didn't advance and got standard computer generated form email with no details or feedback. HR was very professional and helpful until the last impersonal communication.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions about experience, background and skills. Discussed my interest in Etsy.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Etsy in October 2014.

Applied online via their website. Was contacted the next day by a recruiter setting up a preliminary phone screen. A week later I spoke with an Engineering Manager for roughly ~30 minutes about my experience, why Etsy, etc... Nothing technical. The conversation was brief and easy.

Then made it to the next round where I was invited for a day of interviews in their NY office. Unfortunately, I could not travel to Brooklyn due to distance. The recruiter said this was fine and scheduled 4 back-to-back Skype interviews, all with different team members. The first Skype interview lasted about 55 minutes and was merely culture-fit. We discussed technical challenges, life at Etsy, again, my experience, etc... About a week later I had the remaining 3 interviews back-to-back. The first two were technical, and lasted about 30 minutes. I was asked basic coding the questions, the first one being the easiest. The second interview was quite difficult and the interviewer didn't really say much/provide me with any guidance when I got stuck. The last interview was a 30 minute "walk-through" my resume, where an engineer asked me specific details about past internships and projects I've worked on.

Interview Questions
    • How do you test your code?   Answer Question
    • What are the different ways to traverse a binary tree?   Answer Question
    • Implement a preOrder traversal method. Now do it non-recursively.   Answer Question
    • Implement an integer roman-numeral converter with respect to rules (provided with them).   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Etsy in August 2014.

Initial phone call with SVP of Product
    6 onsite interviews with: marketing director, data analyst, engineer, engineering manager, SPM, Director of Product,
    1 final presentation with everyone you interview with

Hands-down the best interview experience I've ever had. Here is why:

1. My flight to NY was canceled and I ended-up rescheduling to a very early morning flight. The recruiter told all interviewers to be wary of my horrible traveling experience and indeed, everyone I met was super considerate of how I felt in terms of fatigue. The interview schedule was also shifted to give me more time in the morning to unwind from my flight.

2. First/last question from every interviewer was "do you need any breaks, water or snacks?"

3. My lunch interview was with two people and they paced it so well I was able to finish eating while talking to both of them

4. The recruiter was super transparent with the hiring process at the end of the day, and gave me a thorough tour of the office before I left

Etsy really believes in delivering the best interview experience.

Interview Questions
    • Coming up with the right presentation was the hardest part, the rest were easy. I did enough research and brainstorming for the presentation that I was able to answer most of the product questions during the interview.   Answer Question
    1. phone call to congratulate me and discuss range of compensation
    2. phone call to give verbal offer
    3. email with official official letter

Risk Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Etsy in July 2014.

Applied on Etsy's website and got an email the same day to set up a phone interview.

The hiring manager scheduled and then rescheduled the phone interview twice, which I found unprofessional.

When the phone interview did finally occur it lasted 20 minutes and was more of a conversation about what the job entailed. Very comfortable and light. It reinstated my faith in Etsy as a professional company.

After the phone interview the hiring manager (who is also the manager of the Risk Operations Team) sent over 'homework' which were situations one would encounter on the job. I filled out this writing sample and emailed it back.

Two days later the hiring manager emailed me to set up an interview at the Etsy Brooklyn office.

I traveled to the Brooklyn office and interviewed with the hiring manager and three other individuals from the Risk Operations team.

Everyone was very nice and the interview was very comfortable.

The hiring manager stressed multiple times that the position start date was six weeks from the date of the interview; this is a very important detail because this would require me to move to Hudson, NY where the position is based, I told him that was no problem and I understood that when I applied. I asked him if it were reasonable for him to give me a month to give my current employer two weeks notice, leaving me with two weeks to move to Hudson. The hiring manager said that "things would move very quickly" and that I would have a final answer by the end of the week (I interviewed on a Monday).

After the interview I emailed to thank him for meeting with me, to which he replied, "the team really enjoyed talking with you!".

I thought this is great! I was beyond qualified for the job, the interview went great and the interviewers "really enjoyed talking to me".

But then the end of the week came and went and I still hadn't heard back.
    I thought, OK, maybe the end of the work week got a little crazy and the hiring manager didn't have time to email me back.

When I didn't hear back by Wednesday (9 days after my interview) I thought I would email and see if everything was OK.

I was told that everything was fine but that the start date has been moved and "are you still interested?"
    I wrote back saying that I was still very interested and the date being moved worked in my favor.
    The hiring manger, who has been great with emailing me back within a few hours, just never responded.

Then a month after my in-person interview I got a generic email from Etsy HR saying that, "We had a few other candidates farther along in our process and the role has now been filled."

I thought WHAT?!
    How can this be? The hiring manager has been keeping me updated and asking if I'm still interested after the start date changed and then I get a generic email pretty much saying 'thanks but no thanks'?

It's very frustrating that I was strung along to believe that I was in the running for a job for over a month and then I wasn't given the courtesy of a personalized email directly from the hiring manager.
    I should have gone with my gut feeling when the phone interview was shuffled numerous times--very unprofessional company.

Product Marketing Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Etsy.

The recruiting team was incredibly disorganized and uncommunicative. The process took months, weeks and weeks of which went by with no contact at all. They eventually told me they decided not to hire for this position at all (oops!)—it's a forgivable issue, but they should have done me the courtesy of explaining the situation much sooner. I had long ago taken another job because I was tired of waiting around for an answer when they FINALLY told me.

Interview Questions
    • Would you rather work on seller features or buyer features?   View Answer

Product Quality Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Etsy.

The interview process came in the form of a series of phone interview leading up to a full day of on site conversations over the course of a few weeks. After the initial call, there was also some homework to do, which came in the form of some questions and a work sample.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked to give a detailed description of something wrong with the site and/or web app. This was hard to do because they push code and edits very often, so it's pretty tight.   Answer Question