Etsy Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 22, 2014
35 interviews

3.1

Risk Agent Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Etsy in July 2014.

Applied on Etsy's website and got an email the same day to set up a phone interview.

The hiring manager scheduled and then rescheduled the phone interview twice, which I found unprofessional.

When the phone interview did finally occur it lasted 20 minutes and was more of a conversation about what the job entailed. Very comfortable and light. It reinstated my faith in Etsy as a professional company.

After the phone interview the hiring manager (who is also the manager of the Risk Operations Team) sent over 'homework' which were situations one would encounter on the job. I filled out this writing sample and emailed it back.

Two days later the hiring manager emailed me to set up an interview at the Etsy Brooklyn office.

I traveled to the Brooklyn office and interviewed with the hiring manager and three other individuals from the Risk Operations team.

Everyone was very nice and the interview was very comfortable.

The hiring manager stressed multiple times that the position start date was six weeks from the date of the interview; this is a very important detail because this would require me to move to Hudson, NY where the position is based, I told him that was no problem and I understood that when I applied. I asked him if it were reasonable for him to give me a month to give my current employer two weeks notice, leaving me with two weeks to move to Hudson. The hiring manager said that "things would move very quickly" and that I would have a final answer by the end of the week (I interviewed on a Monday).

After the interview I emailed to thank him for meeting with me, to which he replied, "the team really enjoyed talking with you!".

I thought this is great! I was beyond qualified for the job, the interview went great and the interviewers "really enjoyed talking to me".

But then the end of the week came and went and I still hadn't heard back.
    I thought, OK, maybe the end of the work week got a little crazy and the hiring manager didn't have time to email me back.

When I didn't hear back by Wednesday (9 days after my interview) I thought I would email and see if everything was OK.

I was told that everything was fine but that the start date has been moved and "are you still interested?"
    I wrote back saying that I was still very interested and the date being moved worked in my favor.
    The hiring manger, who has been great with emailing me back within a few hours, just never responded.

Then a month after my in-person interview I got a generic email from Etsy HR saying that, "We had a few other candidates farther along in our process and the role has now been filled."

I thought WHAT?!
    How can this be? The hiring manager has been keeping me updated and asking if I'm still interested after the start date changed and then I get a generic email pretty much saying 'thanks but no thanks'?

It's very frustrating that I was strung along to believe that I was in the running for a job for over a month and then I wasn't given the courtesy of a personalized email directly from the hiring manager.
    I should have gone with my gut feeling when the phone interview was shuffled numerous times--very unprofessional company.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Etsy in August 2014.

Initial phone call with SVP of Product
    6 onsite interviews with: marketing director, data analyst, engineer, engineering manager, SPM, Director of Product,
    1 final presentation with everyone you interview with

Hands-down the best interview experience I've ever had. Here is why:

1. My flight to NY was canceled and I ended-up rescheduling to a very early morning flight. The recruiter told all interviewers to be wary of my horrible traveling experience and indeed, everyone I met was super considerate of how I felt in terms of fatigue. The interview schedule was also shifted to give me more time in the morning to unwind from my flight.

2. First/last question from every interviewer was "do you need any breaks, water or snacks?"

3. My lunch interview was with two people and they paced it so well I was able to finish eating while talking to both of them

4. The recruiter was super transparent with the hiring process at the end of the day, and gave me a thorough tour of the office before I left

Etsy really believes in delivering the best interview experience.

Interview Questions
    • Coming up with the right presentation was the hardest part, the rest were easy. I did enough research and brainstorming for the presentation that I was able to answer most of the product questions during the interview.   Answer Question
    1. phone call to congratulate me and discuss range of compensation
    2. phone call to give verbal offer
    3. email with official official letter

Product Marketing Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Etsy.

The recruiting team was incredibly disorganized and uncommunicative. The process took months, weeks and weeks of which went by with no contact at all. They eventually told me they decided not to hire for this position at all (oops!)—it's a forgivable issue, but they should have done me the courtesy of explaining the situation much sooner. I had long ago taken another job because I was tired of waiting around for an answer when they FINALLY told me.

Interview Questions
    • Would you rather work on seller features or buyer features?   View Answer

Product Quality Analyst Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Etsy.

The interview process came in the form of a series of phone interview leading up to a full day of on site conversations over the course of a few weeks. After the initial call, there was also some homework to do, which came in the form of some questions and a work sample.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked to give a detailed description of something wrong with the site and/or web app. This was hard to do because they push code and edits very often, so it's pretty tight.   Answer Question

PR Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Etsy.

Unfortunately it seems as though they begin their interview process with phone interviews, which can be really difficult.

Interview Questions
    • Again, all verbal, no eye to eye contact, so they're only looking at how you answer, not how you communicate in person.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Etsy in December 2013.

Applied online, and was contacted almost immediately by HR. Interviewed directly with supervisor for the position. The position was new, as was the program, and the most difficult part of the interview was getting a feel for what they were really looking for, since there was no history or past experience to look back on.

Interview Questions
    • During a first phone interview, was asked how I would measure the success of the program in five years.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Etsy.

Interviewed at Etsy, great experience overall. Incredibly intelligent and enthusiastic employees.

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed online - interviewed at Etsy.

Applied online to college-specific posting. Interviewed with software engineer via Skype, who asked primarily about previous project experience, a few basic web dev questions. Then, was invited to NYC office for a fully day of interviews with several other candidates. Interview day was a really pleasant experience and included a tour of their beautiful office, free food, and informal conversations about technical challenges. 30-minute interviews with three software engineers asking basic coding questions, background/experience questions, and delving deep into the candidate's technical prowess. Overall, a fantastic experience!

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Etsy in February 2014.

Contacted by hr, one round phone interview

Software Engineering Intern Interview

I was really excited to apply for Etsy, but since I applied online, it took awhile to hear anything back from them. The website is helpful in offering a good channel of communication between applicants and the HR people. Yet I still wished they were more responsive in terms of the hiring process.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't feel any question was unreasonably difficult.   Answer Question

Worked for Etsy? Contribute to the Community!