Etsy

Getting the Interview

29 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Program Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Etsy in December 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, and was contacted almost immediately by HR. Interviewed directly with supervisor for the position. The position was new, as was the program, and the most difficult part of the interview was getting a feel for what they were really looking for, since there was no history or past experience to look back on.

Interview Question – During a first phone interview, was asked how I would measure the success of the program in five years.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Etsy.

Interview Details – Interviewed at Etsy, great experience overall. Incredibly intelligent and enthusiastic employees.

Software Engineering Intern Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and interviewed at Etsy.

Interview Details – Applied online to college-specific posting. Interviewed with software engineer via Skype, who asked primarily about previous project experience, a few basic web dev questions. Then, was invited to NYC office for a fully day of interviews with several other candidates. Interview day was a really pleasant experience and included a tour of their beautiful office, free food, and informal conversations about technical challenges. 30-minute interviews with three software engineers asking basic coding questions, background/experience questions, and delving deep into the candidate's technical prowess. Overall, a fantastic experience!

Interview Question – Deep probing into previous web project   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Etsy in February 2014.

Interview Details – Contacted by hr, one round phone interview

Interview Question – Nothing difficult   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Interviewed at Etsy

Interview Details – I was really excited to apply for Etsy, but since I applied online, it took awhile to hear anything back from them. The website is helpful in offering a good channel of communication between applicants and the HR people. Yet I still wished they were more responsive in terms of the hiring process.

Interview Question – I didn't feel any question was unreasonably difficult.   Answer Question

Summer Internship Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Etsy.

Interview Details – I applied online and wait about 2 weeks to get a phone interview. The phone interview is really short, mainly focused on introduction of Etsy and your project experience.

Interview Question – Most of the questions are normal.   Answer Question

Brooklyn, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Etsy.

Interview Details – Some employees of Etsy found profile work online and were very interested. They arranged to fly in for the interview to their Brooklyn, NYC headquarters. They paid for the flight and hotel and offered additional compensation for taxis in the city. Everyone I met was very interested in my interview and offered a warm welcome. The interview was multi-part and I spoke with various engineers and HR reps both in the team I was being considered for and other teams throughout the company. Questions were taken from real-world problems not puzzles or comp sci tricks. They provided food and coffee throughout the day. Overall it was the best interview experience I've had so far, with people genuinely interested in my previous work and how I could help their team.

Interview Question – Open ended questions about the company or how I would change their current products were difficult to ask with little info on how they are already built or work.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Etsy.

Interview Details – Had a couple of informal talks that led to a phone screen. Was brought in for a series of interviews. Questions ranged from design thinking to customer research tactics. Very heavy emphasis on testing and customer data.

Interview Question – Most difficult question asked how I would go about increasing customer acquisition in international markets.   Answer Question

Product Designer Interview

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Etsy.

Interview Details – Phone call interview lasted about 30 minutes. Super friendly and genuinely cared for me. Shared details about Etsy and asked several questions. After a few weeks, received a friendly email stating that there was not a position for me. All in all, a great experience and glad to have connected with wonderful people.

Interview Question – "What is your weakest area?"   Answer Question

Data Scientsits Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Etsy.

Interview Details – I visited Etsy's booth at a university career fair and was scheduled with a phone interview a week later. The 30 min phone interview was with a new data scientist and it was a casual conversation. She asked several straightforward data science questions, expecting a high level answer without any code. The interviewer was very nice and had great things to say about Etsy's work environment.

I didn't hear back for two weeks, so emailed the recruiter and she replied back within the day that the interview had gone well and that they would like me to do a small data science project. The project involved using the Etsy API and performing a specific analysis on the Etsy data.

After submitting the project, I never heard back from Etsy even after a followup. I expected to receive a response even if it was a no.

Interview Question – How would you identify the trending terms based on recently submitted listings (the listings will be free text potentially containing stop words and other irrelevant words)?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Etsy

Worked for Etsy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Etsy interview questions and advice. All 29 interview reviews posted anonymously by Etsy employees and interview candidates.